Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
I mean, you'll realize there is a problem as soon as you flush the toilet. That gallon+ of water is going straight through the drywall.

I wonder what actually happened. People repost social media videos with made up captions on the daily

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

It looks like it was landing on an air return duct, so it may have actually spread the water out enough for them to not immediately notice, especially if it’s in an oft-unused space.

ScreenDoorThrillr
Jun 23, 2023
Now that's what I call crappy construction!

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
"Mom, can we have a Shopsmith?"
"No, we have Shopsmith at home."

Shopsmith at home:

https://toolguyd.com/combo-woodworking-machine-real-scary/

Hispanic! At The Disco
Dec 25, 2011

I assume the d in toolguyd.com stands for "died."

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

DrBouvenstein posted:

Shopsmith at home:

What the hell is the drill chuck for?

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

kid sinister posted:

quote:

As for the drill, online videos show that you’re supposed to just push wood workpieces into a spinning drill bit.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Like, for any particular reason or just for the thrill of it?

Meow Meow Meow
Nov 13, 2010

kid sinister posted:

Some one saw the slot mortiser attachment that high end combo machines have and made the worst possible rendition of it.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

My favorite part is the single start button and assumption that all three spin at the same time.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

The Dave posted:

My favorite part is the single start button and assumption that all three spin at the same time.

Wait what is the third thing? I see the drill chuck and the table saw part, what am I not seeing?

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

It also apparently included a jointer

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

VelociBacon posted:

Wait what is the third thing? I see the drill chuck and the table saw part, what am I not seeing?

Jointer/planer up top.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

kid sinister posted:

Jointer/planer up top.

Ahhh poo poo yeah there it is.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
It looks like you have to lean over at least one moving part to use any aspect of that tool

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass

Trabant posted:

If you missed the Lowe's table saw deal, Alibaba's got you covered with the Shopsmith Mark 666:

That's right, it's a table saw with an inline jointer and drill.

I'd post it in the OSHA thread but I'm catching up on something like 39k posts there.

The same, or at least a very similar one came up in the Tools thread a few years ago. Much bafflement was had back then too.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

DrBouvenstein posted:

Shopsmith at home:

Lol that rules

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

I was having a good day and then you had to go and post that thing.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

The Dave posted:

Yeeeaaah I'd be removing the spinny parts I wasn't using.

But right there, I'm already too smart to buy this fingat-olator.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

recently had an old dude singing the praises of selling his sissy modern table saw and buying a Beaver combi, which adds a RAS and a ton of exposed belts everywhere just to make sure someone dies every time you turn it on. It's a way of life man

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

I think I'll inherit the table saw my grandfather made 40 years ago. Still runs fine and the table is in... Okay shape. The gate is really not very good I guess, I think maybe the table and gate came from some other equipment he had at the time.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Function over form, none of the kids under the stairs can grab me now

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

I'm the off center stringers.

Wait a tic. The right stringer started off straight up top, but then went to the center???? Never mind. That's a shadow playing tricks.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
i'm the 30 pack that was consumed when putting them together

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Still better than that one where they toenailed the treads inbetween the stringers.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Darchangel posted:

Still better than that one where they toenailed the treads inbetween the stringers.

Also better than those stairs some old dude installed on a whim at a park because the city said it would cost like $60k, and he was proud that his materials cost was only like $500.

https://www.upi.com/Odd_News/2017/07/20/Canada-man-built-stairs-in-park-for-550-after-city-estimated-65000/1891500557488/

Though to be fair, because his fuckin' "homemade grandma death trap with bonus lawsuit" stairs were so dangerous, the city DID then get proper stairs installed quickly, and for only $10k:
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/tom-riley-park-stairs-rebuilt-1.4227365

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

I pull out my bow and holy arrows.

Those stairs are definitely mimics.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

DrBouvenstein posted:

Also better than those stairs some old dude installed on a whim at a park because the city said it would cost like $60k, and he was proud that his materials cost was only like $500.

https://www.upi.com/Odd_News/2017/07/20/Canada-man-built-stairs-in-park-for-550-after-city-estimated-65000/1891500557488/

Though to be fair, because his fuckin' "homemade grandma death trap with bonus lawsuit" stairs were so dangerous, the city DID then get proper stairs installed quickly, and for only $10k:

Those railing posts would go over in a stiff breeze like a prop in a slapstick set.

Only instead of one of the three stooges eating poo poo, it'd be Grandma's Hip.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

DrBouvenstein posted:

2017 minus 73, Adi Astl was born in 1944. I'm just assuming Adi is for Adolf, like in Adidas.* Not that it matters, he couldn't pick what his parents named him, but it gives the story a little interesting twist. "Adolf from Third Reich and a homeless man built a deathtrap"...

It could also be a Hebrew name, but Astl sounds to me more like German than Yiddisch or Hebrew surname and something tells me that in 1944 Adi was not super popular among Jews because of the connection.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

DrBouvenstein posted:

Sorta like how spray painting a huge dong around a pothole makes the city come fix them, if you make something the city *has to fix* to avoid lawsuits, you can sometimes cut in line. Or they paint over the dicks and leave the huge pothole as a 'gently caress you' and move you to the bottom of the pile.

Also the city really does NOT like it when you rent the hot-patch machine from the local asphalt plant and fix all the potholes in your neighborhood yourself.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

Also the city really does NOT like it when you rent the hot-patch machine from the local asphalt plant and fix all the potholes in your neighborhood yourself.

Nice try, Arnold.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Sorta like how spray painting a huge dong around a pothole makes the city come fix them, if you make something the city *has to fix* to avoid lawsuits, you can sometimes cut in line. Or they paint over the dicks and leave the huge pothole as a 'gently caress you' and move you to the bottom of the pile.

Didn't dominos pizza do that last but somewhere and put their logo painted on the filled in potholes?

In Vancouver like any city we don't have perfect roads but I once called about a bad pothole on a side street near me and it was fixed the following day.

Saraiguma
Oct 2, 2014

our landlord is a cheap lazy absentee shitass so people in our neighborhood just put cold patch or quikrete in whenever holes get too bad

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

VelociBacon posted:

Didn't dominos pizza do that last but somewhere and put their logo painted on the filled in potholes?

In Vancouver like any city we don't have perfect roads but I once called about a bad pothole on a side street near me and it was fixed the following day.

yeah i just report them on the city's app and it's fixed in 3-5 days. i mean, fixed is some hot patch tossed in the hole, but still better than before.

Jows
May 8, 2002

VelociBacon posted:

KFC

https://www.chicagotribune.com/2009/03/28/chicagos-answer-to-kfc-potholes/

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
dominos did it too

https://www.eater.com/2018/9/7/17831586/dominos-potholes-paving-for-pizza-towns

E: appears a whole decade later than KFC. are they both Yum! Brands?

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
I was gonna say it's a yum brands thing but that's pizza hut instead of dominos

https://pavingforpizza.com/

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Domino's is still doing a version of this, except now they are giving $25k grants to cities towards their snow plowing budgets: https://www.dominos.com/plowing-for-pizza/

quote:

Is this based on the Paving for Pizza program?
Yes. We saw how much Paving for Pizza meant to people when we partnered with towns in all 50 states to repair potholes so that people could have a smoother drive home with carryout pizzas on board. So now, we're taking it even further. Plowing for Pizza is the sequel, in which Domino's is looking to partner with towns across the country in need of snow removal or plowing assistance, so that we can help our customers get out to warm up with hot pizza, even in snowy weather.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
I'll plow u r mom for some pizza.