Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Tykero posted:

The Oneplus 6 is actually a very good phone. Don't quote me.

too late

But I agree, too bad about the whole glaring security issues every few weeks/months though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Cao Ni Ma posted:

too late

But I agree, too bad about the whole glaring security issues every few weeks/months though

Posting from Intel based pc

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

How did you know!?!?!? I've been hacked!

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe
Edit: nevermind

MC Hawking fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Jun 16, 2018

Tykero
Jun 22, 2009

Cao Ni Ma posted:

too late

They could certainly stand to be better, but at least they tend to address them in a timely manner. The same can't be said for some other smartphone brands.

The OnePlus 6 is literally the only phone that has everything I want right now, though, and I am beyond pleased with mine.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Tykero posted:

They could certainly stand to be better, but at least they tend to address them in a timely manner. The same can't be said for some other smartphone brands.

The OnePlus 6 is literally the only phone that has everything I want right now, though, and I am beyond pleased with mine.

They seem to address them once they're public. Turns out the people exploiting security flaws don't tend toward responsible disclosure.

Basically you're totally safe as long as the only problems they have are the ones that amateurs discover while not even looking for them. Flaws that so glaringly obvious that incompetence barely explains their presence.

So if they're regularly screwing up easy to notice things, how do you think they're doing with the more complex, difficult to detect things?

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Internet Explorer posted:

It was mentioned earlier in the thread but I think there's a bug with the latest non-beta update that is causing screen lag.

Jesus I thought my screen was broken or something. Pixel 2 regular. Scrolling is presently Parkinsonian.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

For a while now I've been getting these weird notifications from the Google app. The most recent being severe thunderstorm warnings for a part of my state in which I do not live. There's obviously no bad weather in any part of this area today. If I tap the notification it'll open the google app but nothing seems amiss. The notifications started out as something different a while back but I forget what it was (traffic reports maybe?). I've since turned off all notifications for that app in the settings but they still persist.

I'm pretty sure (but not 100%) that they only come up after I boot my phone when I get up, as I shut it down completely while I sleep. Is my poo poo hosed by malware or something?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Anyone know if you can customize those one word replies in Messages?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Ofecks posted:

For a while now I've been getting these weird notifications from the Google app. The most recent being severe thunderstorm warnings for a part of my state in which I do not live. There's obviously no bad weather in any part of this area today. If I tap the notification it'll open the google app but nothing seems amiss. The notifications started out as something different a while back but I forget what it was (traffic reports maybe?). I've since turned off all notifications for that app in the settings but they still persist.

I'm pretty sure (but not 100%) that they only come up after I boot my phone when I get up, as I shut it down completely while I sleep. Is my poo poo hosed by malware or something?

Not malware but it could be NWS notifications from any weather app you own. If not that, next time you see it slide it over and click on the gear and it will take you to the specific notification channel in the Google app which is generating the notification.

Mister Facetious posted:

No.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Mister Facetious posted:

It learns based on your actions, so just be yourself and it will eventually predict your preferred response.

In theory. Seems to have copied my mannerisms ok.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Yeah, it seems to respond much more appropriately than I do. :v:

I just want to change "Ok" (which I never use irl) to "A'ight".

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

I've found it way more useful than I thought I would

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

At least it's not like the Android Wear Wear OS auto reply that I constantly accidentally press while waiting for the software to stop lagging. My wife knows to just ignore it if I say "ok" at weird times at this point.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
Finally decided the "known issue" list was small enough to take the plunge and install the Android P beta. So far, it's pretty great on the Pixel 2, however, I hate the new media volume by default thing. I can't get it to allow me to change my ring volume with the volume rocker no matter what app I'm in. Supposedly it's contextual and works when you have messages or the dialer app open, but so far I have been completely unable to change ring volume without going to the settings and that kinda sucks. It was really a shock for me that people couldn't figure out how to change their media volume. Was that really a big problem? I personally never had an issue with the way volume worked on previous versions of Android.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

Tiny Tubesteak Tom posted:

Finally decided the "known issue" list was small enough to take the plunge and install the Android P beta. So far, it's pretty great on the Pixel 2, however, I hate the new media volume by default thing. I can't get it to allow me to change my ring volume with the volume rocker no matter what app I'm in. Supposedly it's contextual and works when you have messages or the dialer app open, but so far I have been completely unable to change ring volume without going to the settings and that kinda sucks. It was really a shock for me that people couldn't figure out how to change their media volume. Was that really a big problem? I personally never had an issue with the way volume worked on previous versions of Android.

They should really go the Samsung route and make it optional. That said, I keep it on media volume by default. There's a quick toggle for ring/vibrate/mute and I've yet to come across a scenario where I want to just slightly lower the ring volume.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Desk Lamp posted:

I've yet to come across a scenario where I want to just slightly lower the ring volume.

Low went it's on my desk at work surrounded by coworkers, high when I'm at home and chances are the phone is a room or two away.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot

Uthor posted:

Low went it's on my desk at work surrounded by coworkers, high when I'm at home and chances are the phone is a room or two away.

Yeah, basically this. There are a few instances where I'd rather have it ring quietly than just vibrate.

Jigoku
Apr 5, 2009

The two things android P has broken for me so far is LastPass Autofill. I can’t login from the pop up window in Chrome. That and I can't log into the Bank of America app at all. Other than that, it has been surprisingly good.

Jigoku fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Jun 16, 2018

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014
Fair enough, I just mute it in those situations and get the notifications on my watch.

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe
So are there any good ways to get a Nokia 7 Plus in the US that's not via eBay.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say

MC Hawking posted:

So are there any good ways to get a Nokia 7 Plus in the US that's not via eBay.

i would say have someone overseas ship one to you but our post service at least doesn't let you ship anything via airmail with lithium batteries so it'd have to be couriered which would cost $$$

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
I don't think it has the U.S. LTE bands

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

Tiny Tubesteak Tom posted:

Yeah, basically this. There are a few instances where I'd rather have it ring quietly than just vibrate.

I use an app called Volume Scheduler to adjust the ring tone volume so it's quiet but audible while I'm at work and loud when I'm at the house. Works pretty well.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

FistEnergy posted:

I don't think it has the U.S. LTE bands

Yup, it sure doesn't.

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe
Well poo poo. That looked very promising. The Honor View 10 is still in the running but I'm leery as hell about EMUI overlays and how that's gonna play out for software updates. Reviews were not exactly kind about the skinning, which is a shame because you'd think that kinda hardware could handle it. Either reviewers are universally idiots (likely) or Huawei is as bad as HTC's Sense overlay back in the Desire series days.

If only my G5+ wasn't such a slow poke when it came to those sweet sweet software updates :( I got spoiled by years of Nexus devices and I'm not willing to do a lateral slide to the Nokia middle range or the Mate SE considering the hardware specs are so closely mirrored. If I'm droppin' cash it's gonna be a step way the gently caress up in hardware and have software to match. And it'll have a drat headphone jack as god intended media playback devices to have.

Edit: To be clear I knew full well going into buying this device that software devices were going to be an issue. I'm just blooblooing for blooblooing sake.

MC Hawking fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Jun 17, 2018

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

MC Hawking posted:

If I'm droppin' cash it's gonna be a step way the gently caress up in hardware and have software to match. And it'll have a drat headphone jack as god intended media playback devices to have.

God is dead and so are headphone jacks

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Rastor posted:

God is dead and so are headphone jacks

He's alive. We just can't hear Him. Because He cannot speak over Bluetooth.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe

MC Hawking posted:

Well poo poo. That looked very promising. The Honor View 10 is still in the running but I'm leery as hell about EMUI overlays and how that's gonna play out for software updates. Reviews were not exactly kind about the skinning, which is a shame because you'd think that kinda hardware could handle it. Either reviewers are universally idiots (likely) or Huawei is as bad as HTC's Sense overlay back in the Desire series days.

If only my G5+ wasn't such a slow poke when it came to those sweet sweet software updates :( I got spoiled by years of Nexus devices and I'm not willing to do a lateral slide to the Nokia middle range or the Mate SE considering the hardware specs are so closely mirrored. If I'm droppin' cash it's gonna be a step way the gently caress up in hardware and have software to match. And it'll have a drat headphone jack as god intended media playback devices to have.

Edit: To be clear I knew full well going into buying this device that software devices were going to be an issue. I'm just blooblooing for blooblooing sake.

I went from a G5+ to a Mate SE for $230 and it's awesome. No issues so far.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Theoretical or proof of concept hacks or flaws in how silicon is designed or architected is wildly different than OP forgetting how to lock down the bootloader or forgetting to shut off some debug logging thing that was phoning home or collecting user data.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Ola posted:

Odin can speak over Bluetooth

shit is weak
May 17, 2008

Slaw doggin' it
Lmk if this is the wrong place, but I just picked up a new s9+ and I was hoping to remove Tmobile and Samsung bloatware before I start making it my own. I'm capable of rooting it or w/e but it would be nice to avoid that.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

There's more bloatware on an in-store Verizon Pixel 2 than there is on one purchased online from the Google store, right?

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Not sure about TMobile but the Verizon pixels have one app install at activation? And it's the my Verizon app that's easily uninstalled. Not really any bloatware

shit is weak
May 17, 2008

Slaw doggin' it
Mine is a Galaxy S9+ purchased in person at a TMobile store. Not sure if that changes anything. Are there any safe apps that will remove the crap for me?

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
My T-Mobile Galaxy S9 came with barely any "bloatware" at all. And the ones installed were categorized in folders in the app launcher. Personally, mine only came with three T-Mobile specific apps: an app to unlock the device once it is paid off, an app to manage your T-Mobile account, and an app to access your voicemail through a GUI interface. The number of Samsung apps were small too. The Galaxy S9 lets you long-press an app and uninstall it through the app launcher, so it shouldn't take much work to just uninstall the stuff you don't want.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory
Same.

Posted from my Samsung Galaxy S8 on Verizon Wireless, featuring the nation's best 4G LTE

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

poo poo is weak posted:

Lmk if this is the wrong place, but I just picked up a new s9+ and I was hoping to remove Tmobile and Samsung bloatware before I start making it my own. I'm capable of rooting it or w/e but it would be nice to avoid that.

Don't root your phone.

T-Mobile and Sprint phones have less bloatware than AT&T or Verizon ones. Just go into settings -> apps and for each app you don't want to see choose the Disable option.

If an app doesn't have a Disable option it means it has been marked as a "System" app. For these cases the best advice is usually to ignore it. If there's one which really gets under your skin and you want to get rid of it you have two options:

1. If it's a Samsung app you can purchase Package Disabler Pro which will allow you to uninstall the relevant Samsung package.
2. If the offending app is not from Samsung or if you don't want to spend :10bux:/3 then you can install App Inspector to get the package name of the App you don't want and then follow this guide to uninstall it. Warning: guide requires downloading a bunch of stuff on your computer and running console commands.

Don't root your phone.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Ola posted:

That's because your fleshbag body filled with water is blocking the signal, it's not His fault you have no signal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Zorak of Michigan posted:

There's more bloatware on an in-store Verizon Pixel 2 than there is on one purchased online from the Google store, right?
Same software. The verizon app gets installed when you install a verizon SIM, either way.