Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ETPC
Jul 10, 2008

Wheel with it.

Wamdoodle posted:

You play as Trump, so no

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oKI-tD0L18A

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Narcissus1916 posted:

I might get push back on this, but the Trump Doom mod is almost nothing but great urban city levels (most textures are taken from Duke) that are solidly designed.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hR8QSJ1shO8

The political commentary is pretty light too and pokes fun at every side of the political debate - I actually work in liberal politics and there are jokes in here that are HYSTERICAL.

On a lesser note, Batman Doom is also a friggin' blast and sets a good amount of them in urban environments.

How do you do fellow liberals? Can I interest you in a mod where you play as Donald Trump? Also, BOTH SIDES in 2018

lol

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I was excited in that five second window where I was thinking trump would be the bad guy

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
The Darkness 2 was extremely not this but I loved all the weird little touches in the first game like being able to watch the entirety of To Kill a Mockingbird with your girlfriend.

Then IIRC she’s a big titty monster in 2 so welp.

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg
I wish The Darkness 1 came to PC. It had that same kinda Starbreeze charm that Riddick had. The short breaks inbetween the gun sections to let you explore the city were nice, and something about those graphics are nostalgic. Mmmm stencil shadows

Maybe it'll be playable within a few years through that PS3 emulator

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

BattleMaster posted:

How do you do fellow liberals? Can I interest you in a mod where you play as Donald Trump? Also, BOTH SIDES in 2018

lol

There's an extended riff where reskinned Wolfenstein Nazis are now BernieBros.

I rest my case. Also the gent asked for some decent Duke 3d styled levels and I provided. Check out the Youtube video if you think it might be your thing. If not, that's cool too.

I just spent my day getting spat on by white nationalists, so I'll end the political talk here.

There's also another Doom mod (Going Down?) where its almost like Doom Does Die Hard as you make your way floor-by-floor through a skyscraper. Pretty good fun too.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Narcissus1916 posted:

There's also another Doom mod (Going Down?) where its almost like Doom Does Die Hard as you make your way floor-by-floor through a skyscraper. Pretty good fun too.

Apparently a Cacoward winner! I gave it a shot and it's quite good if also fairly hard. It's got a penchant for teleporting monsters into the area you're in, which I'm not a huge fan of, but it's inventive and clever and nicely designed.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Going Down's fantastic and is made by the British man who makes those weird recursive animations.

It actually shows in his mod, too.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
If Final Doomer does a Going Down class, I hope the weapons are weird, constantly shifting flesh-masses.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

catlord posted:

If Final Doomer does a Going Down class, I hope the weapons are weird, constantly shifting flesh-masses.

IMHO the only gameplay mod you should use with Going Down is Fractal Doom.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
I don't know if anyone else was like me back in the late 90s where instead of Unreal or Half Life, they got Redline?

BattleMaster posted:

lol

LOOOOOL

Trump Doom is fun, especially with its D3D inspired levels.

Meat Beat Agent
Aug 5, 2007

felonious assault with a sproinging boner

Narcissus1916 posted:

There's an extended riff where reskinned Wolfenstein Nazis are now BernieBros.

I rest my case.

wow, sounds fantastic

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Shut up about Trump it's time for Kirby. First brought up in the Awful/Awesome Mods thread

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GhdCJ-a-Cak

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

HolyKrap posted:

I wish The Darkness 1 came to PC. It had that same kinda Starbreeze charm that Riddick had. The short breaks inbetween the gun sections to let you explore the city were nice, and something about those graphics are nostalgic. Mmmm stencil shadows

I remember The Darkness on the Xbox having a good story. It had an engrossing world too, I remember being in the subway and you could watch people go around or watch the television screens. It also has what I feel is the most eerie, abstract & hellish portrayal of WW1 in a game. I know WW1 has a spotlight shining on it recently with Battlefield 1 and all its realism but you never get taken away from the fact that it's still just a video game. The Darkness's nightmare scenarios nailed the hopelessness and futility that's often described in WW1 memoirs. It's an overlooked classic that stuck with me for a while back when I played it all those years ago.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

I'm still strongly of the opinion that Going Down should be played only in vanilla if only because the gameplay balance is so tight I feel like it'd be a shame to throw it off. I really enjoyed how it very deliberately doesn't give you enough resources to clean rooms in encounters forcing you to constantly push forward for more ammo, health, and better weapons while constantly under pressure because you have to leave enemies alive. Also because it takes place in a tower with a (mostly) consistent footprint a lot of maps can be very claustrophobic so you're constantly weaving through tight hallways while enemies pile in behind you just trying to find a small corner to take cover in for a breather. It's real good.

But also video games are for fun and if people wanna play Going Down with Brutal Doom or something I'm not gonna slap the mouse out of anyone's hand.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Glagha posted:

But also video games are for fun and if people wanna play Going Down with Brutal Doom or something I'm not gonna slap the mouse out of anyone's hand.
Funnily enough, I've been playing Going Down with Johnny Doom (aka The One Good BD Fork) recently. It's been pretty fun, although it's gotten practically unplayable performance wise about half-way through unless you remove bloodstain and gib actors through the console (even with the lag fix that came out recently), and the encounters are clearly not designed for it so the last bit of MAP32 was basically impossible.

I've been getting my kicks out of it, though. Using the J-Powers to OP my way through unstoppable hordes is a blast, and the grenades are still my favorites out of any gameplay mod.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Glagha posted:

I'm still strongly of the opinion that Going Down should be played only in vanilla if only because the gameplay balance is so tight I feel like it'd be a shame to throw it off. I really enjoyed how it very deliberately doesn't give you enough resources to clean rooms in encounters forcing you to constantly push forward for more ammo, health, and better weapons while constantly under pressure because you have to leave enemies alive. Also because it takes place in a tower with a (mostly) consistent footprint a lot of maps can be very claustrophobic so you're constantly weaving through tight hallways while enemies pile in behind you just trying to find a small corner to take cover in for a breather. It's real good.

Personally, I'll play a mapset vanilla or with a vanilla enhancer mod like Dead Marine then go through with a crazier game play mod if I want more.

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

I remember The Darkness on the Xbox having a good story. It had an engrossing world too, I remember being in the subway and you could watch people go around or watch the television screens. It also has what I feel is the most eerie, abstract & hellish portrayal of WW1 in a game. I know WW1 has a spotlight shining on it recently with Battlefield 1 and all its realism but you never get taken away from the fact that it's still just a video game. The Darkness's nightmare scenarios nailed the hopelessness and futility that's often described in WW1 memoirs. It's an overlooked classic that stuck with me for a while back when I played it all those years ago.

A gloomy, barren landscape where British and German soldiers are reanimated each time they die, yeah the WW1 section was really well done and an interesting depiction of hell. Or the otherworld I think they called it.
It's a small touch, but something I liked was when you look at a friendly NPC their full name pops up in the corner in grey text, something Starbreeze did in Riddick and the new Wolfensteins as MachineGames. The atmosphere was great in that game. probably why I enjoyed the exploration sections so much.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

The Kins posted:

playing Going Down with Johnny Doom (aka The One Good BD Fork)

Kins, coming in with an excellent suggestions. I've never heard of this one, and just looked it up. This is extremely my poo poo. Thanks!! :clint:

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS

HolyKrap posted:

A gloomy, barren landscape where British and German soldiers are reanimated each time they die, yeah the WW1 section was really well done and an interesting depiction of hell. Or the otherworld I think they called it.
It's a small touch, but something I liked was when you look at a friendly NPC their full name pops up in the corner in grey text, something Starbreeze did in Riddick and the new Wolfensteins as MachineGames. The atmosphere was great in that game. probably why I enjoyed the exploration sections so much.

Speaking of WW1 and zombies, I need to replay Necrovision and see if it's as fun as I remember it being.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

HolyKrap posted:

Yeah Hell is WW1 forever, Pestilence is a crucified gasmaked soldier spewing disease, Famine is a starving dog in the endlessly besieged city caught between the fronts, War is a giant railway artillery train - Darkness 1 had some really great scenes.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

On a non-"How am I defending Trump?" note....

I just want to say how friggin' rad it is that its so easy to play classic shooters. The last time I really did a deep dive with Early FPS shooters was about five years ago. My computer is also old as hell, and anything beyond Half life 2 is choppy (it chugs with Black Mesa).

So imagine my suprise when Blood GDX took five minutes to set up, the Shadow Warrior source port literally took a minute of tweaking, and there's now a Duke launcher that bundles a ton of the best mods together.

Special shoutout to megaton edition, I remember spending literal days trying to get Nuclear Winter and Duke Caribbean to work. Now they're a click away.

A friend of mine lets me share his Steam library so I also tried Ion Maiden and Dusk and braced myself for the worst. Even "Retro" titles can occasionally play terribly. Imagine my shock when Dusk plays at a crisp 60 fps, and Ion Maiden holds up well too.

I also tried World Tour, and to the shock of no one I can say gently caress Gearbox. Does it really not work with any existing mods, meaning that there's no "real" way to buy a version of Duke 3d that plays well with literally two decades of great fan made levels?

The rewind feature is pretty rad, and I wish there was a way to migrate that across all Duke 3d levels and titles. But the new lighting feels half-assed at best, and even with it turned off World Tour still ran slightly less smooth than Megaton edition.

Basically I just wanted to extend a big thank you to the modding community, especially for preserving so many older classics and making them 100% easier for a non-techie to play.

Lork
Oct 15, 2007
Sticks to clorf

Narcissus1916 posted:

On a non-"How am I defending Trump?" note....

I just want to say how friggin' rad it is that its so easy to play classic shooters. The last time I really did a deep dive with Early FPS shooters was about five years ago. My computer is also old as hell, and anything beyond Half life 2 is choppy (it chugs with Black Mesa).

So imagine my suprise when Blood GDX took five minutes to set up, the Shadow Warrior source port literally took a minute of tweaking, and there's now a Duke launcher that bundles a ton of the best mods together.

Special shoutout to megaton edition, I remember spending literal days trying to get Nuclear Winter and Duke Caribbean to work. Now they're a click away.

A friend of mine lets me share his Steam library so I also tried Ion Maiden and Dusk and braced myself for the worst. Even "Retro" titles can occasionally play terribly. Imagine my shock when Dusk plays at a crisp 60 fps, and Ion Maiden holds up well too.

I also tried World Tour, and to the shock of no one I can say gently caress Gearbox. Does it really not work with any existing mods, meaning that there's no "real" way to buy a version of Duke 3d that plays well with literally two decades of great fan made levels?

The rewind feature is pretty rad, and I wish there was a way to migrate that across all Duke 3d levels and titles. But the new lighting feels half-assed at best, and even with it turned off World Tour still ran slightly less smooth than Megaton edition.

Basically I just wanted to extend a big thank you to the modding community, especially for preserving so many older classics and making them 100% easier for a non-techie to play.
Are you saying it doesn't work with any existing mods, or just modern ones that are made for eDuke32? It's not really fair to expect that stuff to work with World Tour since it's basically a different source port. If it doesn't even let you drop in a custom .con file or load a vanilla user map the way the original game did then yeah gently caress Gearbox. Still, even in that case as long as they didn't go to the extra step of obfuscating the game files or something you should be able to just drop them into eDuke32 and go, so it's no big deal either way.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Neither old nor an FPS but Spec Ops The Line is free on Humble for 48 hours. It does involve shooting mans in face so might appeal to some here.

Really cool story and best if you know nothing about it going in

e: also someone is making a Duke Nukem movie with John Cena

Convex fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Mar 29, 2018

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Nice, I haven't played that since it first came out. Thanks for the heads up

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Is Rage worth taking a look at these days? Missed it first time around, now surprised it’s over seven years old now (my age is showing) but it’s super cheap for the next 24h on Fanatical / Bundlestars

https://www.fanatical.com/en/game/rage

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Is Rage worth taking a look at these days? Missed it first time around, now surprised it’s over ten years old now (my age is showing) but it’s super cheap for the next 24h on Fanatical / Bundlestars

https://www.fanatical.com/en/game/rage

Yeah the shooting is really fun and I had a good time. Nothing incredible (and the end is really abrupt and unsatisfying) but good for the price it's at.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
I liked Rage. The shooting was real good. The driving was... merely ok, but barring a race or two you're rarely forced into doing a lot of it. Without The Scorchers it does just sorta end, try it and if you like it, then pick it up before you finish, it picks up right after the end, but if you finish the game first you'll have to go through the final sequence again (not that it's difficult).

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
It's definitely worth a play at that price. It's not terrible, just lackluster and unfinished in some areas. The DLC is pretty good though as it gets rid of a lot of the bad stuff from the main game.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

Counterpoint: you do less kind-of-okay shooting than you bad driving, bad cutscene watching, bad standing there and being talked at, bad wandering around and bad menu management :colbert:

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Big, new GZDoom Megawad got announced and it looks gorgeous. :eyepop:

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

I had a....complicated relationship with RAGE. That game forced me to upgrade my computer and I still had problems until patches came along, and even then it felt janky at times, as I was using an AMD/ATi rig at the time. I did have fun with the game and I just wish it didn't end so abruptly.

I had the same kind of performance problems with WolfenstienTNO, I finally ditched my old setup and switched over to Intel/nVidia, smooth as butter. No problems with DOOM 2016 either. Something tells me iD Software really hates AMD/ATi setups. Of course you could also blame it on ATi's craptastic OpenGL support. :v:

It might be time for me to go back and give RAGE another whirl, the wingsticks was one thing the game really got right, those things are fun to use.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Mordja posted:

quote:

At the time of writing we’re not 100% certain on the release date as the project is still in a state of infancy, but we’re working hard and are planning for a pre-summer release in 2019.

:(

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Ayup.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

My biggest reason to not ever use ATI since my old X1800XT (2005) is OpenGL and playing old games. Never had issues with 3dfx and nvidia cards with OpenGL but ATI... drat...

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

HolyKrap posted:

Considering how busted and weird the PS3 is I wouldn't hold my breath

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Mordja posted:

I wanted something bright and 16bit-y for GMOTA/Bullet-Eye and look what comes along.

Now to wait for over a year, I guess. :v:

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg

DoombatINC posted:

Counterpoint: you do less kind-of-okay shooting than you bad driving, bad cutscene watching, bad standing there and being talked at, bad wandering around and bad menu management :colbert:

This is what kept me from playing through Rage, there's looots of wandering and waiting around for NPCs to finish talking

Improbable Lobster posted:

Considering how busted and weird the PS3 is I wouldn't hold my breath

You never know, RPCS3 has been making quite a bit of progress recently

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

wafflemoose posted:

I had a....complicated relationship with RAGE. That game forced me to upgrade my computer and I still had problems until patches came along, and even then it felt janky at times, as I was using an AMD/ATi rig at the time. I did have fun with the game and I just wish it didn't end so abruptly.

I had the same kind of performance problems with WolfenstienTNO, I finally ditched my old setup and switched over to Intel/nVidia, smooth as butter. No problems with DOOM 2016 either. Something tells me iD Software really hates AMD/ATi setups. Of course you could also blame it on ATi's craptastic OpenGL support. :v:

It might be time for me to go back and give RAGE another whirl, the wingsticks was one thing the game really got right, those things are fun to use.

The funny thing is Wolfenstein TNO/Doom 2016 are generally considered to be best-case games for AMD GPUs, since they use Vulkan and scale well to play directly into AMD's strengths.

On another topic. There's a lot of good gameplay mods for Doom like GMOTA and stuff. What are some good WADs with not particularly great difficulty or combat design that make them suitable to play with some gameplay mods without ruining the whole point of playing the WAD in the first place?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Arivia posted:

The funny thing is Wolfenstein TNO/Doom 2016 are generally considered to be best-case games for AMD GPUs, since they use Vulkan and scale well to play directly into AMD's strengths.

On another topic. There's a lot of good gameplay mods for Doom like GMOTA and stuff. What are some good WADs with not particularly great difficulty or combat design that make them suitable to play with some gameplay mods without ruining the whole point of playing the WAD in the first place?
I thought Whispers of Satan and Doom the Way ID Did were some good megawads that hued close to vanilla difficulty. Valiant Vaccinated is a little more difficult but never approaches slaughtermap numbers of enemies, and I played through it with an only slightly-overpowered gameplay mod. I'm also a fan of Final Doomer+ which has made individual weaponsets tailored to several of the big, popular mods' playstyles and aesthetics.

Mordja fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Mar 29, 2018