Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
https://www.instagram.com/reel/C4djfjgOMTT/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

PainterofCrap posted:

Former in-laws (my sister's ex) house in Beach Haven, NJ. I took these in 1986.
I hope you exhibited that top one. Awesome use of light and shadow.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.
I went out today and got a good look at my new balcony post-winter. Absurd amounts of split wood, stuck up screw heads just waiting to cut open your foot, and there's no amount of money in the world you could pay me to lean against the side railings.

I wonder why the entire HOA board resigned right after these went up...

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
It is stuck. This one gets better the longer you look and consider it.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Best get out the angle grjnder, cut that bitch off and then grind it flush.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
How about the other holes?

Blind drilling into your floor, several times. Lucky he didn't hit power or water.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Is that a masonry drill bit?

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

First I thought "In what scenario was a socket on the end of the drill going to work where the proper chuck failed?" but is that an impact driver they've got it on?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

First I thought "In what scenario was a socket on the end of the drill going to work where the proper chuck failed?" but is that an impact driver they've got it on?

Yeah.

quote:

1/4in. Cordless impact driver delivers 1, 460 inlbs of torque for driving larger fasteners

Quick release chuck for easy one-handed bit changes

Max 2, 800 RPM and 3, 100 ipms for quick fastening applications

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Lol. I guess they're trying to go through? Or maybe...run it in reverse?

ScreenDoorThrillr
Jun 23, 2023

wesleywillis posted:

I'll plow u r mom for some pizza.

god that's tragic

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Judging by the laminate floor, it's 100% rental property. Shouldn't be drilling anywhere without asking

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Laminate flooring is super normal in owned houses lol what on earth

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

moist turtleneck posted:

Yeah, but that specific combination of dinged up trim with layer upon layer of landlord white semi-gloss interior paint (the cheap stuff in the red can at Home Depot) and that crappy half-dowel extra trim piece to cover the gap between the flooring and the wall is rental as FUUUCK. That corner looks like a dozen rentals I had in the last 20 years, and it's such a dead ringer for a few rooms of my house - which was a rental for a few years before it got on the market and we bought it - that it's frankly spooky.

I mean, I just said that my house has that poo poo too so maybe it's another ex-rental that the owners are slowly fixing that crap in too, but I'd put money on that having been a rental in the somewhat recent past.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
quarter round was a pretty common style in the 90s, which would go with that color of flooring

and flippers love that same paint whether it makes it look lovely or not

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

That seems pretty common in a neighborhood where I used to live as well. It was filled with smallish houses built in the late 50’s and early 60’s that people lived in their whole lives. When they passed, their kids did minimal work to offload the house. So sometimes it was whatever contractor was the cheapest, and sometimes it went to a flipper.

About the only difference is those houses had actual hardwood in them. But the trim had long ago been painted and/or replaced.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Tom Silva nooooo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SvGlvC8g89g&t=229s

And yes it looks bad vs using an oscillating saw but this was an extremely normal diy thing to do

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Orvin posted:

That seems pretty common in a neighborhood where I used to live as well. It was filled with smallish houses built in the late 50’s and early 60’s that people lived in their whole lives. When they passed, their kids did minimal work to offload the house. So sometimes it was whatever contractor was the cheapest, and sometimes it went to a flipper.

About the only difference is those houses had actual hardwood in them. But the trim had long ago been painted and/or replaced.

My house is from the 60s and has a similar trim setup with baseboards and a shoe moulding. The baseboards are original and pretty dinged up in places due to being 60yrs old and likely never fully stripped before repainting. The shoe moulding is newer and I think it was put in after the carpet which had been installed was removed to expose the old hardwood.

If laminate had been put in to replace the carpet I'm sure that the shoe molding would be quarter-round instead.

There are also a couple holes in the hardwood of the living room because cable installers are the laziest fuckers in existence.

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all

all 121ft/lb of MASSIVE POWER. Yeah.

Jesus christ people just get the right tool that will actually grip on it and has something more than that anemic af torque driver, and that thing will back out in a flash.

Also that really does look like a masonry bit.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

DrBouvenstein posted:

Also better than those stairs some old dude installed on a whim at a park because the city said it would cost like $60k, and he was proud that his materials cost was only like $500.

https://www.upi.com/Odd_News/2017/07/20/Canada-man-built-stairs-in-park-for-550-after-city-estimated-65000/1891500557488/

Though to be fair, because his fuckin' "homemade grandma death trap with bonus lawsuit" stairs were so dangerous, the city DID then get proper stairs installed quickly, and for only $10k:
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/tom-riley-park-stairs-rebuilt-1.4227365

Oh, man, I remember that one now. Just a cargo-cult understanding of how stairs are built.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
10k is a good deal for those stairs, top and bottom landing and embedded railings. The reason people were quoting 60 Grand, because government sucks at paying their bills. You're basically expected to receive your checks 12 months late, and for a different, yet lower amount with no explanation. So the cost of litigation is already built in.

Somebody took the money out of a cash fund and handed it over to the contractor, probably up front. So things got done quickly because it was treated as an emergency.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

If you want something done, make it an emergency.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

moist turtleneck posted:

This is formaldehyde enriched laminate that Lumber Liquidators were blowing out for $0.29/foot in order to remain in business after insane lawsuits. It is truly the shittiest and the cheapest flooring money could buy, even before you think of formaldehyde poisoning. Contractors were quoting $1.50/foot installed, and every slumlord jumped on that deal. I bought and resold several pallets of this garbage, and it moved fast enough to never trickle up to actual homeowners.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Nitrox posted:

This is formaldehyde enriched laminate that Lumber Liquidators were blowing out for $0.29/foot in order to remain in business after insane lawsuits. It is truly the shittiest and the cheapest flooring money could buy, even before you think of formaldehyde poisoning. Contractors were quoting $1.50/foot installed, and every slumlord jumped on that deal. I bought and resold several pallets of this garbage, and it moved fast enough to never trickle up to actual homeowners.

Hold on, how do you know that from one photograph?

And why didn't you say all of that in the first place.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Nitrox posted:

"enriched" seems a bit odd to use in this context.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Also I'm pretty sure Pergo made a design that was exactly like that, something oak

And yes, Pergo is formaldehyde free

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

SyNack Sassimov posted:

Like you've never purchased something 'chock-full of essential asbestos'

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

It’s got what manufacturing plants crave

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Cyrano4747 posted:

half-dowel extra trim piece to cover the gap between the flooring and the wall is rental as FUUUCK.

I think shoe is still pretty common? Typically painted or stained to match the baseboard, but I think it's more common in southern states to have it match the floor.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
For those wondering

https://youtu.be/dWu4gO9ZhKs?si=-8ApqzOF8vYsYXsM

https://artisanwoodfloorsllc.com/hardwood-flooring-blog/the-lumber-liquidators-lawsuit-explained-and-the-dangers-of-formaldehyde-flooring/

Google "lumber liquidators formaldehyde" as there are hundreds of stories, updates and reports on the issue. State of California forced them to rip out every bit of affected flooring, but only in California. You might still be breathing that poo poo in your rental property, especially if you're in the red state with minimum consumer protection

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum

Zesty posted:

It is stuck. This one gets better the longer you look and consider it.

Someone is free to fact check me but it looks like a pretty drat good non toxic match

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Pergo-MAX-7-61-in-W-x-3-96-ft-L-Natural-Oak-Embossed-Wood-Plank-Laminate-Flooring/1266395

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

SyNack Sassimov posted:

I mean, we don’t say “impoverished uranium”.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

It's a very generic look, basically slightly yellow finish on natural wood grain. There's gonna be a lot of flooring products that look like that, which, yes, means that just from appearance alone you can't say "oh yeah, that's the formaldehyde stuff". Which is why people are providing the secondary evidence of the basic trim and thick paint. That's still not exactly a slam-dunk case in my mind, but it doesn't seem like an unreasonable suspicion, either.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Correct, so the assertion that it is 100% rental is

Inconclusive

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

not to derail from the Laminate Wars but what on earth were they trying to accomplish to begin with? Torn between extension cord 'outlet' for the new loft, and demon 10-year-old

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 22:08 on May 16, 2024

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

you will never accomplish a 10-yr-old by drilling into a floor

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Probably running a cable or Ethernet

They're gonna get that bit out and realize they need one a teensy bit bigger

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

moist turtleneck posted:

Probably running a cable or Ethernet

They're gonna get that bit out and realize they need one a teensy bit bigger

Now it’s a pilot hole.

See, they planned this.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

moist turtleneck posted:

Correct, so the assertion that it is 100% rental is

Inconclusive

Put me down for team "Flippers and Landlords buy the same garbage"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
That garbage is like three times more expensive than ten years ago!!!

Also new construction is scarier in other ways when conglomos are making them as fast as possible