Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Nothing is illegal. My last LEGO session included heating up a skewer with a lighter so i could make a hole in a brick for a flagpole to go through.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
Hell, I freely mix my legos and megablox.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
The “illegal” techniques are often very cool and can be used in MOCs to achieve some neat effects. The whole point of classifying those techniques as such is to prevent them from being used in official builds as the pieces could break under the strain, which is not what you want for the end consumer. As with most anything you buy you have usufruct to put it together however you want. One question I have is, do the design programs make this distinction and prevent illegal connections from being made virtually?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

VaultAggie posted:

Death. DEATH!

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

The “illegal” techniques are often very cool and can be used in MOCs to achieve some neat effects. The whole point of classifying those techniques as such is to prevent them from being used in official builds as the pieces could break under the strain, which is not what you want for the end consumer. As with most anything you buy you have usufruct to put it together however you want. One question I have is, do the design programs make this distinction and prevent illegal connections from being made virtually?

Nah you can usually do anything that's physically possible, and if it stops you for some reason you just turn collisions off and move them into position.

Cithen
Mar 6, 2002

Pillbug
Is it illegal to mix Lego bricks with Google Fi phone stand promo bricks?

DrChud
Jun 18, 2004

Better look at Haunted house. $249

https://twitter.com/lego_group/status/1260555415064137728?s=21

https://www.lego.com/en-us/product/haunted-house-10273?cmp=social-3yf5yo-SHOP

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
https://www.lego.com/en-us/product/haunted-house-10273?cmp=social-3yf5yo-SHOP

Here’s the official release for the haunted house. It looks amazing.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Hmm, I don’t think that’s nearly as good as the Monster Hunters Haunted House.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

The_Doctor posted:

It's not, no. But it'll look drat good next to it on my shelf.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Lizard Combatant posted:

It's not, no. But it'll look drat good next to it on my shelf.

Welcome... TO THE HAUNTED CUL-DE-SAC! :drac::ghost::cthulhu:

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:
Nice to finally see a new Adventurers set.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).
I hate that they used the word «illegal» instead of like «discouraged» or «out of spec» or similar.

Its literally because it is that exact word that we get those situations that Carbohydrates had a meltdown over (and i have wanted to have for a few years)

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?
How about “verboeten”?

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

The_Doctor posted:

I like it as a stand alone set, but I think I'll skip buying it. It just doesn't fit into what I want my fairground to be and I already own the much nicer Monster Hunter one.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Carbohydrates posted:

"Illegal technique" is a term that describes any way of putting bricks together that LEGO wouldn't/doesn't allow in an official LEGO set for various reasons. It is now a fairly well known and frequently discussed topic since many have seen a .pdf document directly from a LEGO designer's presentation on the topic floating around that talks about a lot of these. It's worth noting that LEGO's standards are organic and change over time.

It's also horseshit, from a MOC-making perspective, because we don't all work for LEGO. Allow me to get cranky-old-man: BACK IN MY DAYYYYY or, at least, back in the lugnet/peeron/brickshelf etc. days, nobody gave a gently caress about illegal connections. Sure, we cared about bent/broken parts and extreme duress like that, but nobody got a stick up their rear end about a technic pin inserted into the underside of a brick. Finding new ways to attach pieces and exploit the constraints of the system was clever, and something to be celebrated. The LEGO document changed that not because it somehow applies to us, but because people read it and decided to start policing peoples' builds with "is that an illegal technique??" all over reddit and flickr and whatever. Some of it is genuine curiosity, but most of it is people trying to play "gotcha."

Also, many who use that document as the gold standard of the way things should be don't even understand the specifics of it, or WHY an illegal technique would internally be considered illegal by LEGO. Look how many people thought that the American Flag 1 x 2 tile on the Saturn V set was illegal, because the document says you can't wedge a plate in between studs. Well guess what? The rules for plates and tiles are different because the issue is with perpendicular studs rubbing on each other, and tiles don't have studs. So I guess that's the other thing that bothers me: people with a very surface-level understanding of a non-issue taking it upon themselves to be the arbiters of it all over the internet.

It's just an even more zealous form of LEGO purism.

Ah okay. Thanks for the explanation. I mostly care if it looks nice. :)

ether posted:

I thought it was a genius move, biggest ugly bar ever ;-)

The single jury format (who has a huge turbonerd boner for STORY and minifigs, and has been judging inconsitent every episode) and the focus on people instead of construction/builds makes it less enjoyable to watch for me, although the kids still like it and mimic a lot of the builds the next day.

Absolutely genius! Nice thinking outside of the box. The moment he did that I told my wife they were going to win easily. (She bet on the bridge by the 2 bald bearded guys.)

Why do you find the judge inconsistent? He's been pretty consistent in his love for stories.

It's an enjoyable show, my kid also loves it. But I'd love to get just a little more time looking at the builds and some of the techniques. It bothered me a lot when one guy made an elevator and the Brickmaster was impressed because of how hard that was. I assumed he'd tell us why and how but instead, they went to the next couple and that was it. I mean I know why it's difficult, but it seemed like such a perfect thing to deep dive on a little.

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

As predicted in the Bible. :cheers:

VaultAggie posted:

I have some great tyco stuff in with my legos, like a 2x2 plate with studs on both sides!

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Brawnfire posted:

Welcome... TO THE HAUNTED CUL-DE-SAC! :drac::ghost::cthulhu:

It's an undead end.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Lizard Combatant posted:

It's an undead end.

:worship:

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?

The_Doctor posted:

Inclined to agree. I was really excited about it from the blurry leak photo, but seeing it now, the detail just isn't there. It's very large, and I like the colors and references to Adventurers, but that's about it. The old Haunted House smashes this one, and I don't feel the need to own both.

Lizard Combatant posted:

It's an undead end.
Sheeeeit.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?
Okay, I like the Haunted House more now because I'm a sucker and this thing is pushing my nostalgia buttons.

References:
- The entire thing is named for the villain of the Adventurers theme, Baron Von Barron.
- The Sphinx head over the elevator is from 5978, slightly altered and recolored.
- The obelisk design is also from 5978 (or 5958 or 5988).
- The Anubis heads over the organ are seen in 5988 and 5938.
- The jeweled shrine over the ticket booth is from 7417, recolored (a similar one appeared in 7410).
- The bell(?) in the attic next to the crate is from 7412.
- I am having trouble figuring out the blue gem in the glass jar with the gold candles around it. The blue base makes me think 5988 but I am unconvinced.
- The skull in the trans-neon green enclosure is an Ogel orb, from a number of Alpha Team sets but I'll mention 6776 because it has like 3 of 'em.
- The crate in the attic contains Junkbot.
- The hanging skeleton in the top hat is his deceased associate Slyboots.
- Not sure about the shrine behind him, though.
- On the front of the house, the front stained glass window's keystone has a bat and the roman numeral ṼMVII, which is the Roman numeral for set 6007.
- The tombstone in the yard has a "TC" monogram, a reference to former LEGO set designer Tiago Catarino, who's a bit of a fan of easter eggs and references.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Also, the set appears to be inspired by the Tokyo DisneySea version of tower of terror. That one is about an explorer who gets cursed and blah blah blah elevator. As opposed to the original DCA version that is a hotel that gets hit by lightning or something.

$250 is not bad for that set. It pales in comparison to the original, though. The original is fantastic.

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli

Carbohydrates posted:

- I am having trouble figuring out the blue gem in the glass jar with the gold candles around it. The blue base makes me think 5988 but I am unconvinced.

There's something in 5986 that's kind of similar (jewels on a blue altar with flames on either side) but I'm unconvinced about that too.

I agree with you, I like it a lot more now that I've seen all the Adventurer's references. Not enough to make me buy it though, it's way too expensive for just a few easter eggs.

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

I still regret not picking up the original :(

ExParrot
May 6, 2013

Are you suggesting coconuts migrate?
I might be tempted to pick it up just to convert it into a home for Von Baron. When can we expect the Johnny Thunder equivalent of Splash Mountain?

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Ika posted:

I still regret not picking up the original :(

You can still pick it up. You'll pay more but it's now 3x retail. Yikes.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?

Waltzing Along posted:

It's a tremendously good set. I paid about $400 for mine, and I actually DO think it was worth it because I really like it that much, but you could also go the knockoff route.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Carbohydrates posted:

It's a tremendously good set. I paid about $400 for mine, and I actually DO think it was worth it because I really like it that much, but you could also go the knockoff route.

I think I paid $250-300 in that area. New in slightly damaged box. In 2017. It was selling for over 300 at the time but because of the box I got it for below that on Ebay. And it was before I had to pay tax on Ebay, as well.

I was actually shocked to see how much it has escalated in price.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

Waltzing Along posted:

I fiddled around on bricklink. If you are willing to go without the minifigs & a few unique printed pieces, and switch from sand green to a more available color I bet you could get what you needed for $175.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Tried out Instructions Plus for the first time. Highlighting the new pieces on the build helped a lot for my kid and freeing up the instruction book made it easier for me to be a parts gofer. Will definitely be using it where possible again.

I was surprised that it didn't follow the paper instructions exactly, with some steps and subassemblies being done out of order.

Doctor Spaceman fucked around with this message at 02:43 on May 14, 2020

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

deoju posted:

I fiddled around on bricklink. If you are willing to go without the minifigs & a few unique printed pieces, and switch from sand green to a more available color I bet you could get what you needed for $175.

:thunk:

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:
So, any idea on future availability of the Pirates of Barracuda Bay or the Treehouse sets?

Because, as I said earlier, I feel dumb for missing them but don’t want to pay 2x retail for a set that may be available at MSRP again.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Probably once the supply lines stabilize and people go back to not having free time.

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

"I would have won the race but for that."

Apollodorus posted:

So, any idea on future availability of the Pirates of Barracuda Bay or the Treehouse sets?

Because, as I said earlier, I feel dumb for missing them but don’t want to pay 2x retail for a set that may be available at MSRP again.

Pirates will be around for years. Treehouse also probably has a while left.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
If the Treehouse retired at the end of the year I wouldn't be shocked but it could easily hang around longer.

Barracuda Bay is barely a month old, I wouldn't worry about long-term availability.

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli
Dunno about the Treehouse, but I would be very surprised if Lego doesn't produce more of the Pirates set. It's only been six weeks since it was released after all. Of course, with the current world situation it might take a bit of time.

The same question has been asked a lot in some of the Lego Facebook groups I'm in and it boggles my mind how impatient some people are.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

Now I just need to build a little Sonic for them to hang out at.

I cannot recommend Carbohydrates' builds enough. In an official set there is like maybe one "interesting" technique if you are lucky but almost every step of these is like, "how the gently caress is this going to hang together," but they do and you get ridiculous detail and shaping for a little sacrifice in stability. They're just exciting to build.

Dogen fucked around with this message at 03:49 on May 14, 2020

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

Eh, maybe I was a little optimistic, but I was able to get 2/3 of the pieces and 80% of the lots for $140 before shipping.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

1000 Brown M and Ms posted:

Dunno about the Treehouse, but I would be very surprised if Lego doesn't produce more of the Pirates set. It's only been six weeks since it was released after all. Of course, with the current world situation it might take a bit of time.

The same question has been asked a lot in some of the Lego Facebook groups I'm in and it boggles my mind how impatient some people are.

Yeah, people worried that they won't get the pirates set need to stop worrying. It'll be around for at least a year. Probably more with how popular it is. If it was just gone forever already that would be totally unprecidented.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Carbohydrates posted:

Okay, I like the Haunted House more now because I'm a sucker and this thing is pushing my nostalgia buttons.

References:
- The entire thing is named for the villain of the Adventurers theme, Baron Von Barron.
- The Sphinx head over the elevator is from 5978, slightly altered and recolored.
- The obelisk design is also from 5978 (or 5958 or 5988).
- The Anubis heads over the organ are seen in 5988 and 5938.
- The jeweled shrine over the ticket booth is from 7417, recolored (a similar one appeared in 7410).
- The bell(?) in the attic next to the crate is from 7412.
- The skull in the trans-neon green enclosure is an Ogel orb, from a number of Alpha Team sets but I'll mention 6776 because it has like 3 of 'em.
- The crate in the attic contains Junkbot.
- The hanging skeleton in the top hat is his deceased associate Slyboots.
- Not sure about the shrine behind him, though.
- On the front of the house, the front stained glass window's keystone has a bat and the roman numeral ṼMVII, which is the Roman numeral for set 6007.
- The tombstone in the yard has a "TC" monogram, a reference to former LEGO set designer Tiago Catarino, who's a bit of a fan of easter eggs and references.

This is both impressive at the details they've put in, and that you were able to recognize and identify all this.

What an awesome set.