Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snack Bitch
May 15, 2008

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Ugh, I pulled the trigger way to early on CRTX. At least it’s getting cheaper to buy more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baddog
May 12, 2001

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

My 9/30 SPY put at 310 has doubled in value. Wasn't there a big post recently on taking your wins and playing with the house money or something?

Conversely, gotta let your winners run or you never gonna get rich.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

My 9/30 SPY put at 310 has doubled in value. Wasn't there a big post recently on taking your wins and playing with the house money or something?

Always a good idea. I don't get greedy with puts. Holding them overnight or over the weekend CAN produce big gains but WILL make you lose a lot of value regardless. Who wouldn't accept a free lottery ticket, though?

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Snack Bitch posted:

Ugh, I pulled the trigger way to early on CRTX. At least it’s getting cheaper to buy more.

I have some minor concerns about their trial being affected if there is a quarantine in the relevant cities, since the patients need to report to a clinical setting for their drugs

But also, they are voluntarily spilling some early data in q4 2020, a full year ahead of having full trial data. You don't do that if you don't have data you're proud of.

I still see the ground floor for investors being closed off by September 1, 2020 but in the next few months? I wouldn't be surprised to see it spend time in the $20s again if the virus spread worsens.

I've said it before, this is a stock that's going to $1,750 or $1 a share in 2022. Selling for a 2x, 3x profit is heresy

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Is there any reason I shouldn’t sell a bunch of deep OTM weekly options that expire in 3 hours to scalp some premium?

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Josh Lyman posted:

Is there any reason I shouldn’t sell a bunch of deep OTM weekly options that expire in 3 hours to scalp some premium?

Never exercise options. So yes sell them

Woodchip
Mar 28, 2010
going long slv, short intc into close.

Part of me is "290 is great support from last fall"

The rest of me is *gestures everywhere*

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

pixaal posted:

Never exercise options. So yes sell them
I meant I’d be writing the options just to collect premium. It seems close to a free money situation.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Josh Lyman posted:

I meant I’d be writing the options just to collect premium. It seems close to a free money situation.

People can still call to exercise options, I've never had it happen when holding something expiring out of money but they should be able to call and exercise anyway if they feel like it (it goes into the money in after market). I've read articles claiming people have been able to get things exercised as let as a Saturday but I honestly don't know enough about that.

Worst case you are close are forced to buy 100 shares per contract of SPY at your strike and you sell them on Monday.

edit: You also have to find a buyer

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Dumped some SPY puts, got out of NFLX puts at a much smaller loss, picked up more CY, CY calls and went shopping around the market in general shoveling up semis and airlines.

What do people think about $HA? They're so weak right now and I feel like they're an easy acquisition by someone to get their routes + landing slots.

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

But also, they are voluntarily spilling some early data in q4 2020, a full year ahead of having full trial data. You don't do that if you don't have data you're proud of.

Or you do it if you want to pump the stock so you can raise more cash via offering.... not saying thats what theyre doing but theres certainly more possible reasons than "they cured alzheimers!. Companies tout early results all the time, do an offering, then fail trials. Its pharmascam 101

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
I definitely see the risk!

Zypher
Sep 3, 2009

Rutgers

Your 2006
Mythical National
Champions!

movax posted:

What do people think about $HA? They're so weak right now and I feel like they're an easy acquisition by someone to get their routes + landing slots.

I’ve been eyeing HA after the correction because they (seemingly unreasonably) got beaten down more than most airlines.

However I really don’t want to touch any part of the travel industry as I’m not sure we’ve seen the worst of it — all these travel horror stories from Diamond Princess, northern Italy, etc are going to hurt demand long after the blip of the coronavirus is gone

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Lodging is picking up the slack from airfare, jesus

Round trip Portland to Maui for $187 total, but hotels have spiked from 200 to 300 all the way to the 600 to 800 a night range

Tomathan
Nov 6, 2006
They won't let us wear our baggy pants
Bought VXX 50 dollar strike calls for .27 expiring 4/17 yesterday, today they are 1.00 its nuts. I bought some 25 dollar strike ones back in february for .38 sold yesterday at 3.80 today they are 8.40. So I am very confused about how to feel.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Selling at profit is always good friend, you'd feel worse if they'd gone down

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Lodging is picking up the slack from airfare, jesus

Round trip Portland to Maui for $187 total, but hotels have spiked from 200 to 300 all the way to the 600 to 800 a night range

What...? Do they think people are gonna use hotels more or some poo poo? If they have no proof, isn’t that speculation?

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Pollyanna posted:

What...? Do they think people are gonna use hotels more or some poo poo? If they have no proof, isn’t that speculation?

By overcharging for rooms it doesn't matter that rooms are empty they cover the costs with the guests they get. It's greed.

Maybe something to do with business trips that still happen and them having to pay the rates, I dunno I kind of assumed places that fly people around the country have special deals with discounted and locked in rates.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

pixaal posted:

By overcharging for rooms it doesn't matter that rooms are empty they cover the costs with the guests they get. It's greed.

Maybe something to do with business trips that still happen and them having to pay the rates, I dunno I kind of assumed places that fly people around the country have special deals with discounted and locked in rates.

I work for an F100 and we are banned from travel outright, I can't imagine much business travel is happening.

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets
The airlines also have a lot of demand algorithms that may be broken with these sorts of events. The rates for hotels may have minimums that are high based on length of time til booking.

Dwight Eisenhower
Jan 24, 2006

Indeed, I think that people want peace so much that one of these days governments had better get out of the way and let them have it.

Josh Lyman posted:

You get a little less time for Theta to help you out and get some breathing room where a stop will make sense.

I sold 301 SPYs this morning at .39 and they've decayed down to .08. We could still have a foolish rally at EOD so I put a stoploss buy in at .15.

also just because there's a lot of new people playing with options here:

NEVER PUT A MARKET STOP ON OPTIONS

I'm doing it because I know why and when to break that rule. If you can't explain why and when to break that rule, and why it's a rule, NEVER PUT A MARKET STOP ON OPTIONS

UnfurledSails
Sep 1, 2011

Does TOS have trailing limit stops?

Dwight Eisenhower
Jan 24, 2006

Indeed, I think that people want peace so much that one of these days governments had better get out of the way and let them have it.

UnfurledSails posted:

Does TOS have trailing limit stops?

Yup: Select 'TRAILSTOPLIMIT' on the 'ORDER' column on the order editor. First row is your selling price. Second row is your stop trigger. Set what you're triggering off of (e.g. +.10 off ASK) in LINK. Set the limit order entry params in LINK, everything but MAN will mean trigger with an offset of that property when the STOP is tripped. In PRICE, you can select how you want to offset with the little chevron button on the left, e.g. you can switch between cents, steps, and percentages both for the trailing threshold and for the limit order price.

I strongly encourage playing with it in OnDemand or Paper before running it live.

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets
The market will have to drop 3% in the next 30 minutes to trip the circuit breaker. Looks like no dice.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

Dwight Eisenhower posted:

NEVER PUT A MARKET STOP ON OPTIONS

I'm doing it because I know why and when to break that rule. If you can't explain why and when to break that rule, and why it's a rule, NEVER PUT A MARKET STOP ON OPTIONS

Are you talking about contracts you buy off the market or options contracts you wrote yourself?

Dwight Eisenhower
Jan 24, 2006

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

Are you talking about contracts you buy off the market or options contracts you wrote yourself?

I'm talking about options contracts in a brokerage account; don't put a stop order on closing your position. I do it on 0-days because they're liquid enough that the prices won't jump that much; but on a longer expiry or less liquid underlying you run the real risk that the bid/ask sides are 1-2 contracts deep and so filling your order will mean a hugely different price than the stop triggers at.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Ok, I get what you mean now

I usually only do SPY or highly liquid options so I've never been off the mark by more than 0.01 or so.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

greasyhands posted:

VIX only got to about 60 at the height of the financial crisis, which I think most people would speculate was systemically worse than a nasty cold. To the contrary, I guess a lot of people arent appreciating just how overheated this market was on a very broad basis which gives us a lot of room to the downside without being 'unreasonable'. If you're starting to think something like TGT looks cheap, just remember it was in the 50s about 18 months ago- keep perspective. Anyways, gently caress this market.

"2008 - On October 24, 2008, the VIX reached an intraday high of 89.53. 2018"

fougera
Apr 5, 2009
Because I'm a masochist I looked back to see how much the puts I sold are worth now... and I see that I only missed out on a 100% move. Crazy how much the current volatility is building in.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Dat bounce off 2900 :monocle:

Baddog
May 12, 2001

Ulio posted:

"2008 - On October 24, 2008, the VIX reached an intraday high of 89.53. 2018"

That was loving insanity eh. For the first and only time i actually called my congressmans office and was yelling like a maniac about needing to do a bailout. I forgot to mention that we also needed to prosecute the criminally negligent and maybe not hand out bonuses that year with the bailout money, but I thought that was implied.

Doccykins
Feb 21, 2006
It's Friday afternoon everyone's closing up shop for the next weekend of ??? New Infections

e: also the new rumour of a 75bp cut coming

Doccykins fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Mar 6, 2020

Foma
Oct 1, 2004
Hello, My name is Lip Synch. Right now, I'm making a post that is anti-bush or something Micheal Moore would be proud of because I and the rest of my team lefty friends (koba1t included) need something to circle jerk to.
Remember how much fun DOW 20,000! was. Lets do that one again

Snack Bitch
May 15, 2008

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

I have some minor concerns about their trial being affected if there is a quarantine in the relevant cities, since the patients need to report to a clinical setting for their drugs

I still see the ground floor for investors being closed off by September 1, 2020 but in the next few months? I wouldn't be surprised to see it spend time in the $20s again if the virus spread worsens.

I've said it before, this is a stock that's going to $1,750 or $1 a share in 2022. Selling for a 2x, 3x profit is heresy

It’s possible but I have found that I am better off taking the 2X over risking it all with discovery pharma. This seems like one of the rare companies with enough interest to just profit on the run up to decisions.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Always inverse WSB. Anytime you see “drill team 6”, etc., buy a call or something.

Christ. What the gently caress is this market. When I’m basically all cash I wish I was doing stupid poo poo, when I’m doing stupid poo poo I wish I was all cash even when I make money.

Anyways I bought stock today.

Hit Man
Mar 6, 2008

I hope after I die people will say of me: "That guy sure owed me a lot of money."

What fuckery is this? Who is buying this poo poo before the weekend?

TheKevman
Dec 13, 2003
I thought Mad Max: Fury Road was
:mediocre:
so you should probably ignore anything else I say

Numbers moving

e: if there were like 5 more minutes in the day we'd probably turn green lol

Dwight Eisenhower
Jan 24, 2006

this loving EOD rally lol

stopped out with a profit

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Doccykins posted:

It's Friday afternoon everyone's closing up shop for the next weekend of ??? New Infections

e: also the new rumour of a 75bp cut coming

Ya its another liquidity/fed driven rally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Seems like if you’re big enough and want free government money you should sell all your poo poo.