Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

is that not in the OP with the spec bucket anymore?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I hope they're all mining bitcoin.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

Sickening posted:

You sweet summer child.

How did you get into my server room

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

Rackspace was primarily a white box data center. Mini towers everywhere.

Now it’s all dell or synnex

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

jaegerx posted:

Rackspace was primarily a white box data center. Mini towers everywhere.

Now it’s all dell or synnex

The gently caress? Just parts from Newegg?!?!??

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
When I first went to our remote office, I found extremely old servers with a kvm attached to a old compaq monitor. When I went to grab the monitor and take it off the top of the servers, it immediately shattered into pieces in my hands.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

Tab8715 posted:

The gently caress? Just parts from Newegg?!?!??

Yes. Built by hand by our techs.

BallerBallerDillz
Jun 11, 2009

Cock, Rules, Everything, Around, Me
Scratchmo

Sickening posted:

You sweet summer child.

That's just a hidden doorway to the Ops Lounge. Slip in for a scotch or three after lunch.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

jaegerx posted:

Maintaining that must have been a nightmare of epic proportions. No wonder Rackspace flopped.

Cirrhosis Johnson
Jan 9, 2014
Update: My boss has apparently found out that the Microsoft Store in our city will do the migration of our office onto cloud services for free, taking me off the hook entirely. I guess we'll see how it goes.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Cirrhosis Johnson posted:

Update: My boss has apparently found out that the Microsoft Store in our city will do the migration of our office onto cloud services for free, taking me off the hook entirely. I guess we'll see how it goes.

:allears:

Please keep us updated.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

jaegerx posted:

This explains so much.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

:munch:

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

"Yeah sure just bring your server on down here and we'll plug it in and do the migration. Should take a week or so. No you won't receive email during this time, they'll all bounce back to sender as if you were out of business. But it's free!"

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?

Tab8715 posted:

Maintaining that must have been a nightmare of epic proportions. No wonder Rackspace flopped.

We have one or two racks composed of "Self-Built" machines (Some kinda slide out rack rail key lock black box with retail parts) dedicated as nodes for TeamCity, weird poo poo happens every now and then; particularly one day a node cropped up that a disk drive disappeared, turned out the sata power cable was disconnected from said drive :tali:

Virtualisation? We don't need no stinking virtualisation.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Judge Schnoopy posted:

"Yeah sure just bring your server on down here and we'll plug it in and do the migration. Should take a week or so. No you won't receive email during this time, they'll all bounce back to sender as if you were out of business. But it's free!"

Lol if you think any data is getting migrated.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
First official day and I am meeting all my team middle managers for meetings discussing daily workflows and their current projects. It mostly went okay. None of the projects or daily production support work is super efficient but not much of it seems too out of place without going over the details in full. Two teams stood out to me as being total shot shows from the get go. The network and windows administration teams.

First off the windows administration team manager went over this “grueling” task of changing production dns servers entries for thousands of Servers across multiple continents. Trying not to be a jerk I asked the obvious question “what is the big challenge to this project?”. His entire bottleneck was performing these actions during outage windows. Okay fair enough, so I asked him how much time he needed to complete the project and the personnel needed etc. His estimates shocked me. Of course when I went over the details of the project he had people RDing into these severs and changing the dns entries.

I wanted to throw him out the loving window.

The network team wasn’t much better. So many high salaries and fancy titles for a large group of people where nobody wants to make a decision on things. Lot of old farts applying 2000 network concepts poorly. Lot of junior people trying to do good work but being overruled by clueless farts who have the nerve to be smug about it.

The culture is going to loving change.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Sickening posted:

First off the windows administration team manager went over this “grueling” task of changing production dns servers entries for thousands of Servers across multiple continents. Trying not to be a jerk I asked the obvious question “what is the big challenge to this project?”. His entire bottleneck was performing these actions during outage windows. Okay fair enough, so I asked him how much time he needed to complete the project and the personnel needed etc. His estimates shocked me. Of course when I went over the details of the project he had people RDing into these severs and changing the dns entries.

This seems like the kind of thing you could do surely do with an automated script.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

RFC2324 posted:

is that not in the OP with the spec bucket anymore?

Nah I never copied it all from the old thread. It's in $thread-1 OP

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Neddy Seagoon posted:

This seems like the kind of thing you could do surely do with an automated script.

Someone broke something with a script once. Never again.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The majority of "Windows Administrators" I've dealt with have little to no ability with powershell. This is indeed a semi trivial task with the only complication being that they apparently have directives to run it during an outage. Though unless I'm misunderstanding the task (repointing client DNS settings to new DNS servers) it could be run easily in production. Get your script to locate the appropriate interface, modify the DNS settings since I'm assuming it's static and then flush DNS if needed. DNS will be repointed and no one will notice.

Though if you are dealing with servers in thousands it'd probably be better just to get DHCP in order at the same time and change everything to that. Maintaining static addresses is just cumbersome particularly in a vritual environment (I'm assuming most/all of them are VMs. lmao if not). With properly setup DHCP and DNS that are rock solid and redundant like they should be then there's really no reason not to just go all in with it. We use infoblox for DHCP/IPAM/DNS at my current place and it's great.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

That was what I was hoping was obvious to everyone reading here. It’s not just a script. It can be done with a single line of power shell. Targeting, filtering, and running the command to change the dns servers. Basic poo poo.

I having a feeling when is ask who my power shell people are none of the people with seniority are going to raise their hand.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Yes why do the servers have static DNS configuration in the first place? Pull that poo poo from DHCP.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

nielsm posted:

Yes why do the servers have static DNS configuration in the first place? Pull that poo poo from DHCP.

I don’t want to give some of the old fucks a heart attack during my first week. Not giving a server static network address might cause some people to lose grip on reality.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Sickening posted:

I don’t want to give some of the old fucks a heart attack during my first week. Not giving a server static network address might cause some people to lose grip on reality.

Sounds like a good way to promote some of those promising junior guys :getin:

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Nuclearmonkee posted:

Sounds like a good way to promote some of those promising junior guys :getin:

As much as people suck right now they are all going to get an opportunity to not suck. All the windows folks are going to have to learn basic power shell at the very least. It’s adapt or die time.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

My big push for 2019 is to move to DHCP because I hate this static poo poo.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

O365 MFA was only down for like 4-5 hours today, much better than 16 hours last week...

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
One of our tasks for the datacenter is to get all of our servers switched from DHCP which was a Minimum Viable Product onto statics. It's going to be great. This is not trolling.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

H110Hawk posted:

One of our tasks for the datacenter is to get all of our servers switched from DHCP which was a Minimum Viable Product onto statics. It's going to be great. This is not trolling.

Same but the exact opposite

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I'm supposedly a Windows admin but all my powershell is scripts I've googled. Haven't broken too much yet!

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

My main interest in IPv6 uptake is that all those fuckers who "know every IP on my network" can finally go count toothpicks for a living or whatever the gently caress they think they're contributing with.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Internet Explorer posted:

My main interest in IPv6 uptake is that all those fuckers who "know every IP on my network" can finally go count toothpicks for a living or whatever the gently caress they think they're contributing with.

I've memorized a bunch of ips because they're shorter than typing the real name. Fight me.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

The guy who makes the containerization effort posts memorizes IPs!?! You're breaking my heart.

tortilla_chip
Jun 13, 2007

k-partite
Logging into devices is a bug.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Is doing DNS through DHCP just setting DNS to feed from the router/DHCP server? I assume so, but I've done more networking stuff at home since moving into this house than I ever have at work.

All I bother memorizing is which subnet has what stuff and the static IP for my pihole, which I set to an easy to remember number.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

IPv6 is good because NAT is poo poo

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Is doing DNS through DHCP just setting DNS to feed from the router/DHCP server? I assume so, but I've done more networking stuff at home since moving into this house than I ever have at work.

All I bother memorizing is which subnet has what stuff and the static IP for my pihole, which I set to an easy to remember number.

You tell the DHCP clients what DNS server(s) to use, so you can have them go through a local source or just plug OpenDNS/Google/1.1.1.1/Umbrella/whatever in there.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Methanar posted:

I've memorized a bunch of ips because they're shorter than typing the real name. Fight me.

If it's easier to remember the IP than the name your naming convention probably sucks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheFace
Oct 4, 2004

Fuck anyone that doesn't wanna be this beautiful

Nuclearmonkee posted:

If it's easier to remember the IP than the name your naming convention probably sucks

A lot of people's naming conventions are poo poo, and those that even make logical sense typically end up needlessly long. I contracted at one place that had a naming conversion of {initials of company}{location id}{physical or virtual id}{{responsible group id}{type of server id}{number}

so an Exchange server would be: WESDC01PMSGMBX11

WES = made up company initials
DC01 = Datacenter 01... which is weird, because it wasn't their first datacenter...
P = Physical
MSG = Messaging team
MBX = Mailbox server
11 = number of server, however this was confusing because there weren't 01-10 before this server, this was the new numbering for Exchange 2010 servers at the time because 2007 servers were 01-02