Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Kratos had better die and go to Valhalla in this game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Montalvo posted:

I'll probably do what I did with Horizon Zero Dawn and play Dad War God like 1 year after it releases after renting it for 5 dollarydoos. For some reason getting in on the ground floor of single player AAA games isn't that appealing to me. I'm looking forward to reading about people's impressions of it though, and I hope people like it!

Ya this is what I've done this gen as well. Just wait for the game to drop in price and also by that time there is an special edition with all DLC. Only reason to play at launch is if you want to be in the zeitgeist even if there is a possibility the game will be in a better/more complete state later on.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Kratos had better die and go to Valhalla in this game

God of War 2 (2019) Lets Murder Valhalla

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Apparently Sony has already greenlit another God of War after this one that will remain in Norseland.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

exquisite tea posted:

Apparently Sony has already greenlit another God of War after this one that will remain in Norseland.

I'm willing to bet based on pedigree alone that they greenlit a trilogy while this one was in development.

Bad Parenting
Mar 26, 2007

This could get emotional...

I'm gonna pre order and play dad of war on release day because playing new games when they are new is exciting, because I like to support people making good games that aren't multiplayer lootbox filled shite, and also because I have zero impluse control

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Bad Parenting posted:

I'm gonna pre order and play dad of war on release day because playing new games when they are new is exciting, because I like to support people making good games that aren't multiplayer lootbox filled shite, and also because I have zero impluse control

:same:

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

SettingSun posted:

I'm willing to bet based on pedigree alone that they greenlit a trilogy while this one was in development.

Ya I actually remember reading this somewhere or hearing it. I thought it was confirmed trilogy in Norse mythos. Probably will have the rest of series on PS5 or w.e sony makes next.

quote:

The thing is I have bought many games on release but never played them due to a huge backlog. So for me it is just better to wait for a sale so even if I buy it and don't play for a few months I won't feel as bad.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
I feel like I would be a lot more excited for God of War had I not played Hellblade.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

The connection to norse mythology and single-take, behind the back camera angle are eerily similar but they appear to deal in totally different themes.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
Oh for sure. I just feel like even with this new entry trying to be more emotionally driven that it'll pale in comparison to Hellblade. Not gonna lie loving up trolls will be worthwhile for whatever else the game is. Hellblade has already checked the "third person Norse action game with emphasis on protagonist's emotions" box so well that God of War went from a day one purchase to maybe a rental or purchase a year or two from now.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

My mind is clear because I mentally categorize Hellblade as an artgame and Dad of War as an action romp, though now reviewers are saying it's hella emotional too?

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.
One of the reviews talked about how the game is one continuous shot from beginning to end and the only time it breaks is the when you die screen. Apparently You stick with Kratos for the entire game.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Bad Parenting posted:

Saaaaame

Rad Valtar posted:

One of the reviews talked about how the game is one continuous shot from beginning to end and the only time it breaks is the when you die screen. Apparently You stick with Kratos for the entire game.

This is one of the things that is SUPER fascinating to me.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Kilometers Davis posted:

I would place my bets on Kratos. I don’t know if I want that or not though. A transition into Atreus as the main character would be neat but I’d miss angry dad a lot.
Man Kratos chose a really unfortunate name for his son if you know anything about the House of Atreus in Greek Mythology.

Its weird seeing people say that Kratos doesn't come off as a Greek hero, the guy is only a minor exaggeration of Greek heroes who were all basically murderous psychopaths.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I mean it's quite impressive for the length but Hellblade does the exact same thing with having one long continuous take (actually there are some minor cuts but for stylistic reasons).

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Yeah, I'm not sure why they're talking it up when Half-Life did it literally 20 years ago. Doing a continuous shot through GoW's traditional fights with monsters 10-100 times your size will require some careful artistry and giving up prerendered cutscenes would require some technical work but I don't see it as a game-changing breakthrough either.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

My guess is that it started out as a "wouldn't it be cool if..." feature that actually ended up being insanely difficult + expensive so now they're talking it up.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

MeatwadIsGod posted:

I feel like I would be a lot more excited for God of War had I not played Hellblade.

The combat and puzzles in hellblade are crimes against fun

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Bigly impressed by video games doing a real easy thing that's kind of like a really hard movie thing

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Yeah probably a bit more money and effort involved when it's a AAA third person highly cinematic, cutscene-laden production with present day animation fidelity.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.

Rad Valtar posted:

Unless the reviews explicitly said you stick with Kratos the entire game I wouldn't automatically assume that from the one continuous shot. Atreus is on camera a lot, nothing stopping them from suddenly sticking to him.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Rinkles posted:

Yeah probably a bit more money and effort involved when it's a AAA third person highly cinematic, cutscene-laden production with present day animation fidelity.

I mean, if you're already committed to putting all that in your scene and rendering it in real time, the work of making sure the camera never teleports to another position isn't that much extra on top. You just have to stage the action so that it's both exciting and comprehensible from a perspective that includes Kratos at all times, including figuring out how to get in and out of choreographed sequences without jarring transitions. This is, again, more of an artistic challenge than a technical one.

Now that I think about it, you probably could do prerendered sequences with sufficiently precise camera paths.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
I imagine just creating a continuous landscape causes enormous headaches for every dev department.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

It probably has more to do with traditional mocap and facial capture being super expensive and committing to that continuously for what will likely be 2-3 hours of total cutscenes, with at least two actors onscreen for almost all of that time, must have cost hella cash.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

haveblue posted:

Yeah, I'm not sure why they're talking it up when Half-Life did it literally 20 years ago. Doing a continuous shot through GoW's traditional fights with monsters 10-100 times your size will require some careful artistry and giving up prerendered cutscenes would require some technical work but I don't see it as a game-changing breakthrough either.

Half-Life is first person, dude, it's not remotely the same thing. Just because it doesn't seem that immediately impressive from a technical standpoint doesn't mean it wasn't a massive headache for everyone involved, as well as an interesting artistic decision worth at least mentioning.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Arist posted:

Half-Life is first person, dude, it's not remotely the same thing.

There's not all that much difference between first and third person engines, especially today when engines are basically commodities.

quote:

Just because it doesn't seem that immediately impressive from a technical standpoint doesn't mean it wasn't a massive headache for everyone involved, as well as an interesting artistic decision worth at least mentioning.

I'm not saying it's not impressive or not a headache, just that describing it as a major innovation in game crafting unlike anything that came before is not really accurate.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

haveblue posted:

There's not all that much difference between first and third person engines, especially today when engines are basically commodities.

Massive difference for animation though.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

since there's no thread for it yet and info coming out for it this month gets lost in the shuffle, is anyone thinking about making a separate thread for Spider-Man? I might do it tomorrow if nobody else wants to.

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

DLC Inc posted:

since there's no thread for it yet and info coming out for it this month gets lost in the shuffle, is anyone thinking about making a separate thread for Spider-Man? I might do it tomorrow if nobody else wants to.

I’m surprised there’s still no God of War thread unless I missed it

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners
The GoW reviews have me really excited and I hope B&H gets enough of the Pro bundles to send me one on time

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
I received an email from Ubisoft saying I can play Ghost Recon® Wildlands for free this weekend. But if I go to the PS store my only options are buying the game or downloading the demo. Am I missing something?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

shut up blegum posted:

I received an email from Ubisoft saying I can play Ghost Recon® Wildlands for free this weekend. But if I go to the PS store my only options are buying the game or downloading the demo. Am I missing something?

it's thursday

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---

Manatee Cannon posted:

it's thursday

The email said you can play for free from the 12th till the 15th :shrug:

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

well you didn't say that :v:

the store probably hasn't updated yet. it never updates early in the day

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---

Manatee Cannon posted:

well you didn't say that :v:

the store probably hasn't updated yet. it never updates early in the day

I'm always in weekend mode :cool:

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

shut up blegum posted:

The email said you can play for free from the 12th till the 15th :shrug:

It's up now: https://ghost-recon.ubisoft.com/wildlands/en-us/free-weekend/

From the store page:

quote:

FREE WEEKEND! Play the game for free April 12 (7AM UTC) - 15 (7AM UTC) & enjoy the time-limited Splinter Cell special event! Choose the ‘Try Free Demo’ option. Now includes the 4v4 Ghost War PvP mode!

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Maybe I'll rent God of War.

I'm buying Yakuza 6 with that 20% off code before it expires though

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
Y’all should definitely play Wildlands for free, it’s cool and good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

acksplode
May 17, 2004

I was immediately hooked on the concept of taking Kratos out of the last era of gaming and dropping him into this one and seeing how he fits. It's an interesting way to explore his character, and maybe an opportunity for the game to comment on how gaming has progressed as a medium. I've been cautious about getting excited, since a God of War with good writing sounds like a ridiculous thing to hope for, but after these reviews I'm aboard the hype train. Also the combat looks loving sweet. Maybe I'm projecting, but it reminds me just a little bit of God Hand, with its tight third-person camera and combo-ey move set.