Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

asymptotically approaching one

dpf posted:

anayltic philosophy is brexit

I try to ignore everything after Hulme, I get bad migraines. What is Brexit? (two hundred loving pages on why my left foot is technically brexit, but only when it's selected from the potential brexits by a system of statistical inference based on the behaviour of stoats, from a particular river).

And that river was 500 and 2 minutes ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Real House of Lords Hours means it's time for me to post my favourite Wikipedia Article:

quote:

The Woolsack is the seat of the Lord Speaker in the House of Lords, the Upper House of the Parliament of the United Kingdom. Before 2006, it was the seat of the Lord Chancellor.

In the 14th century King Edward III (1327–1377) commanded that his Lord Chancellor whilst in council should sit on a wool bale, now known as "The Woolsack", in order to symbolise the central nature and huge importance of the wool trade to the economy of England in the Middle Ages.[1][2] Indeed, it was largely to protect the vital English wool trade routes with continental Europe that the Battle of Crécy was fought with the French in 1346.[3] From the Middle Ages until 2006, the presiding officer in the House of Lords was the Lord Chancellor and the Woolsack was usually mentioned in association with the office of Lord Chancellor. In July 2006, the function of Lord Speaker was split from that of Lord Chancellor pursuant to the Constitutional Reform Act 2005, with the former now sitting in the Woolsack.[4]

The Woolsack is a large, wool-stuffed cushion or seat covered with red cloth; it has neither a back nor arms, though in the centre of the Woolsack there is a back-rest. The Lords' Mace is placed on the rear part of the Woolsack.[1]

In 1938, it was discovered that the Woolsack was, in fact, stuffed with horsehair. When the Woolsack was remade it was re-stuffed with wool from all over the Commonwealth as a symbol of unity.[5]

The Lord Speaker may speak from the Woolsack when speaking in his or her capacity as Speaker of the House, but must, if he or she seeks to debate, deliver his or her remarks either from the left side of the Woolsack, or from the normal seats of the Lords.[6]

If a Deputy Speaker presides in the absence of the Lord Speaker, then that individual uses the Woolsack. However, when the House meets in the "Committee of the Whole", the Woolsack remains unoccupied, and the presiding officer, the Chairman or Deputy Chairman, occupies a Chair at the front of the table of the House.[6]

In front of the Woolsack is an even larger cushion known as the Judges' Woolsack.[8] During the State Opening of Parliament, the Judges' Woolsack was historically occupied by the Law Lords. Now the Attorney General, the Solicitor General, the Lord Chief Justice, the Master of the Rolls, the President of the Family Division, the Vice-Chancellor, Justices of the Supreme Court, the Lords Justices of Appeal and the Justices of the High Court only attend Parliament for the State Opening.[9]

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Hexyflexy posted:

What is Brexit?
If you want a picture of the Brexit, imagine a Lord clearing the bar — for ever.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Taintrunner posted:

bankers, on their hands and knees, crying and groveling as they beg BIGG COMMIE DADDY to save them from Brexit

beautiful :kiss:

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

There, now I can tell when you're posting.

-- A friend :)
Lol y'all got a parliamentary bean bag chair

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters
this is loving insane. all of it. utterly loving mad

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
how ironic, i can't speak at all when i sit on my woolsack

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters
for fucks sake, make sure you don't deliver your remarks from the right hand side of the woolly cushion! the consequences are not mentioned but no doubt more absurd and rooted even deeper in tradition

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

https://twitter.com/Andrew_Adonis/s...ingawful.com%2F

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

Wednesday finally ends. But what will Thursday bring?

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

lol I bet bojo thought he would do a better job than may

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

BORIS

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Jel Shaker posted:

lol I bet bojo thought he would do a better job than may

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

Bosri!

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Is the Irish Backstop the main sticking point in all of this drama? It seems that the Brit conservatives are absolutely against it and the EU is adamant in its support for it.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

foobardog posted:

Wednesday finally ends. But what will Thursday bring?

they have interrupted the ritual to bring about no-deal brexit, dooming the chief vizier. but the dark powers behind him will not be so easily dissuaded and there are others who wait in the shadows, eager to serve. you must remain wary, for the portents still spell chaos and ruin

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

looks like Boris has been pretty thoroughly owned

tough first week, mate

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy

Wait, wasn't it going to take like 48 hours for this to work? They gave up after 10? What the gently caress, lmao. Can't even commit to their lovely attempt to bypass the government.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

radical meme posted:

Is the Irish Backstop the main sticking point in all of this drama? It seems that the Brit conservatives are absolutely against it and the EU is adamant in its support for it.

the backstop essentially means that the U.K. could exist in a quasi state of “Brexiting” for decades , so it’s a good focal point for the brexit ultras to stick on

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

asymptotically approaching one

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

tough first week, mate

It's going to get worse, which is why the bulk of the opposition want to leave him there to stew. Be interested to see all the tabloids front pages in the morning,

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

So the bill that passed to prevent a no-deal Brexit "compels" the PM to write a letter to the EU asking for more time, right?

Well what if Boris just didn't do that? Seems like a pretty Boris thing to do. Wouldn't that result in a no-confidence and an election? Which is what he wants anyway?

Uranium
Sep 11, 2001

Through constant decay
Uranium creates
the radioactive ray.

Taintrunner posted:

bankers, on their hands and knees, crying and groveling as they beg BIGG COMMIE DADDY to save them from Brexit
:yeshaha:

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

So the bill that passed to prevent a no-deal Brexit "compels" the PM to write a letter to the EU asking for more time, right?

Well what if Boris just didn't do that? Seems like a pretty Boris thing to do. Wouldn't that result in a no-confidence and an election? Which is what he wants anyway?

Corbyn could tell the queen he has the confidence of parliament and set up a government without an election

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

tough first week, mate

everyone hates him and they made sure he was the pasty so they're ready to keep using the schoolboy oaf as a punching bag bloody and bruised

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Taciturn Tactician posted:

Wait, wasn't it going to take like 48 hours for this to work? They gave up after 10? What the gently caress, lmao. Can't even commit to their lovely attempt to bypass the government.

This is why I think if you made senators actually filibuster in the US senate there wouldn't be any

They're ALL as old as these fucks and they just wanna give up and eat prune sandwiches

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Private members bills are laws suggested by a private member of Parliament (an MP) that are not part of the Government's planned programme of legislation. These bills are not listed by manifestos, and they rarely become law – which begs the question of why we bother with them in the first place.

The interesting part? Because there isn't time to discuss every MP's ideas for a new law, each year the MPs who are allowed to introduce a bill are picked out of a hat – and this year they were selected from a goldfish bowl in a sort of House of Commons lottery draw.

How it can be justified to pick an issue to be debated, that could in fact become an implemented law, in a Church fete-style lucky dip? We'll never know.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

30 lashes with the mace

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Thursday! What a concept!

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

radical meme posted:

Yeah, (in my eyes as an ignorant yank rear end in a top hat) the fundamental problem is that the whole point of Brexit is setting up stronger borders for migration and trade between the UK and the EU, which necessarily requires some kind of border policing between Ireland and Northern Ireland. It's a really simple paradox and the only two ways to handle it are not actually leaving the EU (the backstop) and just saying "gently caress it" and letting chaos reign (no deal).

There's also the complete fantasy solution where blockchain/artificial intelligence/machine learning/some other trendy tech allows the UK to police the border without any physical walls or inconvenience for travelers/traders. This is, of course, completely loving impossible.

Can a Brit clarify whether I've got this right?

Civilized Fishbot has issued a correction as of 03:56 on Sep 5, 2019

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

commence laffing operation

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

lol borscht

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
During the Queen’s Speech, it is customary for an MP to be “kidnapped” and “held hostage” at Buckingham Palace. This is so the reigning monarch has a bargaining tool in case anything happens to them during their time at the Houses of Parliament. It's a custom more suited to the 16th Century, when the monarchy and parliament actually had serious arguments about who was in charge, but it is still carried on today.

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

During the Queen’s Speech, it is customary for an MP to be “kidnapped” and “held hostage” at Buckingham Palace. This is so the reigning monarch has a bargaining tool in case anything happens to them during their time at the Houses of Parliament. It's a custom more suited to the 16th Century, when the monarchy and parliament actually had serious arguments about who was in charge, but it is still carried on today.

Ayn Randi
Mar 12, 2009

Grimey Drawer

frankenfreak posted:

pre:
BO IS BRE
JO    XIT
IS    IS
YOU   BRE
      XIT

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Much less exciting than it first sounds, Black Rod is a senior officer in the House of Lords. During the State Opening of Parliament, he bangs on the door of the Commons chamber with, surprisingly, a black rod, and then the door is quickly slammed in his face, to iterate the independence of the Commons. He then bangs on the door three times, and then he, and the MPs in tow, is allowed in.

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

i can't stop imagining this but her gulping down a fish like a sea bird

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Much less exciting than it first sounds, Black Rod is a senior officer in the House of Lords. During the State Opening of Parliament, he bangs on the door of the Commons chamber with, surprisingly, a black rod, and then the door is quickly slammed in his face, to iterate the independence of the Commons. He then bangs on the door three times, and then he, and the MPs in tow, is allowed in.

god, GRRM just keeps adding dumb poo poo to the canon instead of writing a loving book

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Yes you read that right: each of our MPs has a named peg where they hang their coats from when they get into work.

Not only that, but each one has a purple ribbon attached, which is meant for MPs to hang their swords from. We sincerely hope that now they’re just a form of decoration.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Civilized Fishbot posted:

god, GRRM just keeps adding dumb poo poo to the canon instead of writing a loving book

I have a feeling those books will never be completed