Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

CarForumPoster posted:

MQ-25 is a carrier plane, its supposed to replace the job the refueling Hornets are currently doing.

Although if the Navy really wanted it for refueling and not as a refuel + A2AD ISR or A2AD ISR + fuel + strike platform the Navy should restart the C-2 Line...which is still going today as the E-2 line...and then make the C-2 refueling variants. Have COD and refueling from one aircraft, the sister of which is already in production and and the same model is currently in use.

You could call it a “common support” aircraft and spend 30 years hemming and hawing over it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

LingcodKilla posted:

If we already have a refueling hornet why do we need a new platform to....

loving military industrial complex.

Refueling using superhornets is limited in capability and every hornet doing refueling duty is not doing other combat missions. And they get extra fatigue/hours when used as a tanker all the damned time.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

LingcodKilla posted:

If we already have a refueling hornet why do we need a new platform to....

loving military industrial complex.

Because, as I understand it, it's not a Hornet for refueling, it's a Hornet carrying special external tanks for refueling.

It's not optimal and replacing it is a good move.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Seems like that would be a good use for hornets near the end of life. Spare parts, pilots, the whole shebang already on the carrier.

gently caress it just make a F35 refueled version instead.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

They are significantly worse than a dedicated platform though. and I suspect $/hour for an old hornet is probably worse than a new lower performance UAV.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

LingcodKilla posted:

Seems like that would be a good use for hornets near the end of life. Spare parts, pilots, the whole shebang already on the carrier.

gently caress it just make a F35 refueled version instead.

The problem is that the only hornets that can do it are the newer model hornets. So superhornets are reaching SLEP ahead of schedule in order to tank both newer and legacy model hornets.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
And the amount of fuel a Hornet can carry is not much, it's a really limited tanker.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

mlmp08 posted:

The problem is that the only hornets that can do it are the newer model hornets. So superhornets are reaching SLEP ahead of schedule in order to tank both newer and legacy model hornets.

Lordy.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

It’s also particularly fuel hungry from the canted pylons.

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL

Alaan posted:

And two high performance engines.

There are a lot of ways a UAV makes a ton of sense for a tanker. Going to a place and flying in a circle is pretty well within the UAV core competency, and being subsonic and flying wing means a lot more fuel fraction and loiter time.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Alaan posted:

I swear refuel hornets is the dumbest poo poo ever.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

CarForumPoster posted:

MQ-25 is a carrier plane, its supposed to replace the job the refueling Hornets are currently doing.

Although if the Navy really wanted it for refueling and not as a refuel + A2AD ISR or A2AD ISR + fuel + strike platform the Navy should restart the C-2 Line...which is still going today as the E-2 line...and then make the C-2 refueling variants. Have COD and refueling from one aircraft, the sister of which is already in production and and the same model is currently in use.

I believe the C-2 is supposed to be on its way out also, to be replaced with a V-22 Osprey derivative.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Slo-Tek posted:

And two high performance engines.

There are a lot of ways a UAV makes a ton of sense for a tanker. Going to a place and flying in a circle is pretty well within the UAV core competency, and being subsonic and flying wing means a lot more fuel fraction and loiter time.

You could probably even do the UAV tanker thing entirely autonomous, with zero outside control and thus no sigint/jamming vulnerability. The act of refueling is the most complicated part.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Warbadger posted:

You could probably even do the UAV tanker thing entirely autonomous, with zero outside control and thus no sigint/jamming vulnerability. The act of refueling is the most complicated part.

And drogue+chute makes that much easier on the tanker side.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Why did the Navy stop using the S-3s for refuelling? That has to be better than using a Hornet with tiny wing tanks?

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

Collateral Damage posted:

Why did the Navy stop using the S-3s for refuelling? That has to be better than using a Hornet with tiny wing tanks?

Because S-3's were old as dirt, the line was closed in 1978. There was a proposal to new-build an upgraded S-3 specifically as a tanker, a few years ago but didn't happen.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Slo-Tek posted:

Because S-3's were old as dirt, the line was closed in 1978. There was a proposal to new-build an upgraded S-3 specifically as a tanker, a few years ago but didn't happen.

And proposals to revamp them as CODs that weren't as lethal as the C-2s as well as having the ability to carry F-35 engines...but that had the disadvantage of being both cost-effective and complicated, so instead the CMV-22B is the future of COD. Because carriers (and their strike group) being forced to operate for extended periods in littoral areas because the Osprey's got short legs and can't be pressurized makes a lot of sense to someone who's getting serious quid pro quo to ensure it happens.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

I just assume the CMV-22 was chosen since it was the easiest to go through the procurement process for because the department of the navy was already buying them?

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

hobbesmaster posted:

And drogue+chute makes that much easier on the tanker side.

Ehhhh... Not really. You can get away with less monitoring of the drogue system, but all the logistical problems of running a multi-ship refueling op are still there. If you switch to pre-programmed Autistic Mode tankers to counter MIJI threats, then the pilots actually have to hit their AR times and control points as planned, and the number of pilots I can count on to reliably do that in peacetime, much less a shooting war, can be counted on one hand.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

The masculine of jihadi is jihado.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

StandardVC10 posted:

I believe the C-2 is supposed to be on its way out also, to be replaced with a V-22 Osprey derivative.

Yep.

Posted a few pages back but good read in case anyone missed it:
http://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/16535/confessions-of-a-c-2-greyhound-carrier-onboard-delivery-pilot

Kebbins
Apr 9, 2017

BRAK LIVES MATTER

Carth Dookie posted:

sHaving said that, there's only 187 f22s and I'm sure they're spread out around the place, and not all of them can be available at the same time, and there's the issue of airframe flight hours, so I could maybe see an f117 reactivation

Oh my god I just blacked out and woke up thinking I was on a school bus listening to a 7th grader trying to impress a bunch of 5th graders with his awesome airplane knowledge that's based solely on the coverart of Popular Mechanics

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
That is a very serious aviation related Internet takedown

Lobster God
Nov 5, 2008
Will the MQ-25 require a catapult to launch or will it be able to take off from a ski-jump?

Asking for a friend.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
^If you want it to have enough fuel for even fly itself, cat.

CarForumPoster posted:

The E-2 line is still running.

Godholio fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Dec 20, 2017

Lobster God
Nov 5, 2008

Godholio posted:

Guess we'd better start up the Osprey K.1 line for Big Lizzie then...

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Godholio posted:

The E-2 line is still running.

Now trying getting an additional few dozen E-2 tanker variants ordered without every other aircraft company up to and including Sukhoi and Shaanxi throwing a fit about ethics in naval aviation procurement.

Kebbins
Apr 9, 2017

BRAK LIVES MATTER

bewbies posted:

That is a very serious aviation related Internet takedown

"Seriously dude the SR-71 in the Smithsonian and the two at Edwards are still airworthy and just in "dry storage." All they need is to be fueled up and they are ready to fly."

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Kebbins posted:

"Seriously dude the SR-71 in the Smithsonian and the two at Edwards are still airworthy and just in "dry storage." All they need is to be fueled up and they are ready to fly."

Wasn't this literally the plot to the RAF's Black Buck missions?

Lobster God
Nov 5, 2008

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Wasn't this literally the plot to the RAF's Black Buck missions?

The planes themselves were still in service (just), it was just the refueling systems that needed to be ...acquired... from museums.

See Black Buck 4 for one of the consequences.

And XV230 for the long term consequences of hastily retrofitting refueling systems to an aircraft and then just assuming the system is fine for 35 years.

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

Saw this on reddit re MQ-25 "The Navy's goal for the aircraft is to be able to deliver 15,000 lb (6,800 kg) of fuel to 4-6 planes at 500 nmi (580 mi; 930 km)" the first hit on google says a KA-6 was good for about the same.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

The SR-71s were able to go live in the early 90s per Skunk Works but that ship has sailed by now.

They offered to do so for Gulf War 1 but SecDef thought it was mainly a ploy to keep them in service post war as well and shot it down.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Kebbins posted:

I had a stupid Airman insist that every static display was actually in reserve status and could be returned to flight worthy status in a wartime emergency. I replied that I didn't think we had many B-25 pilots, or spare parts, left.

Slo-Tek posted:

Saw this on reddit re MQ-25 "The Navy's goal for the aircraft is to be able to deliver 15,000 lb (6,800 kg) of fuel to 4-6 planes at 500 nmi (580 mi; 930 km)" the first hit on google says a KA-6 was good for about the same.
90,000lbs usable offload at 500nm? 🤔

That's 3/4 of the capability of a KC-135 flying a similar profile, and they want it out of a carrier aircraft. I'd call that optimistic, and I think your source is full of poo poo, since the MTOW for an A-6E was only about 60,000lbs and I don't think the entire jet was composed of fuel.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Dead Reckoning posted:

I had a stupid Airman insist that every static display was actually in reserve status and could be returned to flight worthy status in a wartime emergency. I replied that I didn't think we had many B-25 pilots, or spare parts, left.

Well, technically the Midway is still considered a mobilization asset by the Navy.

goomsnarr
Jun 21, 2012

Yeah, yeah...
Never forget; for Black Buck, a critical part for the in-flight refuelling for one of the aircraft had to be recovered from an Officers Mess where it was being used as an ashtray.

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

Dead Reckoning posted:

That's 3/4 of the capability of a KC-135 flying a similar profile, and they want it out of a carrier aircraft. I'd call that optimistic, and I think your source is full of poo poo, since the MTOW for an A-6E was only about 60,000lbs and I don't think the entire jet was composed of fuel.

huh, I skimmed over the 4 to 6 airplanes bit. Suspect they meant 15,000lbs split 4 to 6 ways. Could also be random numbers bullshit.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Well, technically the Midway is still considered a mobilization asset by the Navy.

I saw a great documentary about how the Missouri was reactivated using a mostly-WWII-veteran crew as recently as 2012.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Slo-Tek posted:

Suspect they meant 15,000lbs split 4 to 6 ways.

Yeah, that's a bit more reasonable, but also kind of lovely, since a Superbug burns 8.6klbs/hr per unclassified planning factors.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Are you serious? I can think of a lot more disasters caused by keeping ships in service than I can think of victories caused by keeping ships in service. Just off the top of my head, the Aboukir disaster, the Iowa explosion, the Battle of Coronel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Memento posted:

I saw a great documentary about how the Missouri was reactivated using a mostly-WWII-veteran crew as recently as 2012.

They reactivated it and put to sea in under 4:52 as well!