Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Minority Deport posted:

From, apparently, a French community manager:

When ~ enters the battlefield, exile all artifacts that [your opponent?s?] control until ~ leaves the battlefield.

Apparently this uses the singular for opponent, but doesn't say "target" or "choose." So I'm not sure if it's all opponents or just one. Either way: seems not worth it, outside of EDH I guess.

It's probably not terrible in limited, plenty of artifact creatures to tuck away, and it will do work against decks running lots of servos and thopter tokens. Otherwise yes, bitch of a card in EDH to grab all the mana rocks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

BizarroAzrael posted:

It's probably not terrible in limited, plenty of artifact creatures to tuck away, and it will do work against decks running lots of servos and thopter tokens. Otherwise yes, bitch of a card in EDH to grab all the mana rocks.

This is terrible in Commander because it's going to get blown up at the most inopportune time, or be a casualty in a mass removal spell and give your opponent back all their artifacts. I'd rather play Return to Dust and permanently exile one or two of their most important artifacts than exile all their little mana rocks and give them a chance to get everything back along with all the ETB triggers.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

BJPaskoff posted:

This is terrible in Commander because it's going to get blown up at the most inopportune time, or be a casualty in a mass removal spell and give your opponent back all their artifacts. I'd rather play Return to Dust and permanently exile one or two of their most important artifacts than exile all their little mana rocks and give them a chance to get everything back along with all the ETB triggers.

It would be useful if it was target player since you could exile your own stuff in preparation for a nuke. But that's about it.

oryx
Nov 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

quote:

He’s crazy smart, but he’s not showy about it. I learned to signal my intelligence to everyone early. He’s never learned that.
:goonsay:

http://magic.wizards.com/en/events/coverage/gpmil16/matt-severa-three-time-champion-and-madison-mainstay-2016-12-10

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

Jabor posted:

It's kind of funny that the card they choose to show off in french actually has a translation error.

What's the translation error?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

MiddleEastBeast posted:

What's the translation error?

"Adversaire" is singular, so grammatically indicates that it's referring to a single opponent. But there's no wording in there about choosing or targeting the opponent to affect.

The most likely scenario is that it should be "adversaires" (and affects all your opponents). Alternatively, there could be some words missing entirely.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

ZeroCount posted:

what do the other 3 colours get in this hypothetical set?

I just want fuckin' Llanowar Elves back.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Entropic posted:

I just want fuckin' Llanowar Elves back.

W - Path to Exile
U - Counterspell
B - Doom Blade? Hymn?
R - Lightning Bolt
G - Elvish Mystic

(they're not giving us literal llanowar elves, even if we were back on dominaria.)

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

I'll keep chucking bombs at you til you fall off that ledge!
Grimey Drawer

mehall posted:

W - Path to Exile
U - Counterspell
B - Doom Blade? Hymn?
R - Lightning Bolt
G - Elvish Mystic

(they're not giving us literal llanowar elves, even if we were back on dominaria.)

Tourach is my master and will return.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

mehall posted:

B - Doom Blade? Hymn?

Necropotence, Sinkhole, Vampiric Tutor.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Necropotence, Sinkhole, Vampiric Tutor.

All 3 are unprintable outside of Rare/Mythic.

We're looking for the C/UC card.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
Dark ritual you dinguses

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

mehall posted:

All 3 are unprintable outside of Rare/Mythic.

We're looking for the C/UC card.

tarmo at common would be great

put it in a set that otherwise is a reprint of Legions, for balance

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Inquisition of Kozilek?

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
The trouble with Dark Ritual is that fast mana of that kind was long ago shifted into Red (and then nerfed beyond the point of usefulness). With both the current color pie and power level against it, there's no way Dark Ritual ever shows up in Standard or Modern legal sets.

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

I'll keep chucking bombs at you til you fall off that ledge!
Grimey Drawer
Vendetta is a great, quintessentially Black common card.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Smashing Link posted:

Vendetta is a great, quintessentially Black common card.

They're not supporting regeneration any more though, using temporary indestructibility instead, so we probably won't be seeing any more regeneration-hosing reprints either, so :rip: Vendetta or Incinerate reprints.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
We all know the quintessential black one-drop is Thoughtseize, and everyone complained about it the whole time it was back in Standard.

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

Entropic posted:

We all know the quintessential black one-drop is Thoughtseize, and everyone complained about it the whole time it was back in Standard.

I honestly wonder if this is because thoughtseize is too strong for standard (I don't think this is true) or the more likely explanation that there were only two major reprints (mutavault) and both ended up in mono-b, the most dominant deck for a while.

Even giving every color a thoughtseize level card probably wouldn't have worked, because having one of the cards ACTUALLY be thoughtseize means that you just grab their card :v:

I think the big problem is that you either need a steady stream of reprints, which mandates a higher power level, or none at all, which cannot be a realistic pitch to investors or players

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Entropic posted:

People dislike hand disruption in general when used against them. Its one of those "feels bad" mechanics that is essential to game balance. Like land destruction, counterspells, etc.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

mehall posted:

That reminds me, next un-set they'd better add lawnmower elves (T: target forest becomes a plains, add G to your mana pool).

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me

Jabor posted:

"Adversaire" is singular, so grammatically indicates that it's referring to a single opponent. But there's no wording in there about choosing or targeting the opponent to affect.

The most likely scenario is that it should be "adversaires" (and affects all your opponents). Alternatively, there could be some words missing entirely.

I thought maybe it could be "each opponent", but apparently that's "chaque adversaire", and "target opponent" is "adversaire ciblé". So it doesn't fit either, nor does it fit "vos adversaires" for "your opponents".

I found five cards that use the "your opponent" wording, two of which are silver-bordered and the other three have very unique wording referring to an already-chosen opponent. So it really does seem like it's a legit error.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Doesn't it work as "an opponent", targetless?

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Isn't this card garbage no matter what it says?

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Sickening posted:

People dislike hand disruption in general when used against them. Its one of those "feels bad" mechanics that is essential to game balance. Like land destruction, counterspells, etc.

Don't mind me, I'm over here still salty that we didn't get a Creeping Wastes variant of Spreading Seas.

Lets Pickle
Jul 9, 2007

BizarroAzrael posted:

Eh, I'd much rather deal with this than Vandalblast.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Yeah it's terrible.

Minority Deport
Mar 28, 2010

Turns out it's all opponents! Which still isn't good. Except for in EDH, when you play Mycosynth Lattice, and then everyone hates you.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
Is one Toolcraft Exemplar enough to crew a Skysovereign or is "at the beginning of combat" too late to crew a vehicle and have that vehicle declared as an attacker?

TimNeilson
Dec 21, 2008

Hahaha!

Soul Glo posted:

Is one Toolcraft Exemplar enough to crew a Skysovereign or is "at the beginning of combat" too late to crew a vehicle and have that vehicle declared as an attacker?

You can crew at the "beginning of combat" step and still attack, just as long as you do it before you move to the "declare attackers" step.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

TimNeilson posted:

You can crew at the "beginning of combat" step and still attack, just as long as you do it before you move to the "declare attackers" step.

That's what I thought, thanks. Haven't played much KLD since release but am turning my WG Hulks deck into a WR Artifacts Matter deck and am tossing two Skysovereigns in.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Minority Deport posted:

Turns out it's all opponents! Which still isn't good. Except for in EDH, when you play Mycosynth Lattice, and then everyone hates you.

Unless you find two other players who also have Mycosynth Lattice and that card, then you all just hate yourselves

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

But, exiling thraben inspector clue tokens!!

Also, Holiday Cube is back, so idk why anyone is posting about anything else right now.

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend
So Vintage Cube is up, except it's not cube at all. The packs come in randomly, so you can get any number of copies of cards ... and then of course you can face whatever cuz it's league.

Kind of up-ends all of what you know when drafting Cube, so whatever.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

my Warcraft guild posted:

Technically, they were expeditions and do have the foil stamp.

Oh gently caress duh.

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110
Bahra got sponsored by goatbots and has been streaming daily, sometimes multiple times. Dzyl has been streaming regularly, and cube is back now.

Streams are good again.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.
Cube story! I drafted a good blue shell with good card draw and mana fixing, then swerved hard into mono-red after wheeling all the red cards I saw and even getting last pick Fireblast. Ended up with a sweet deck with double Eidolon and double Fireblast. During my first game, I won the die roll and went 1 drop, Eidolon, pass on turn 3 with Searing Spear up. My opponent's plays were Swamp, Swamp, Scroll Rack (take 2), turn 3 main phase use Scroll Rack and restart the game somehow. My opponent then won the die roll.

MTGO!

I still won that match and went 2-1, losing to mono-red in the finals. Good times.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

En Fuego posted:

So Vintage Cube is up, except it's not cube at all. The packs come in randomly, so you can get any number of copies of cards ... and then of course you can face whatever cuz it's league.

Kind of up-ends all of what you know when drafting Cube, so whatever.

Is this on purpose or a gently caress up?

edit: kind of funny that I need to ask.

odiv fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Dec 12, 2016

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me

odiv posted:

Is this on purpose or a gently caress up?

edit: kind of funny that I need to ask.

They tweeted that they're investigating it so I assume gently caress up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Re: Fronteer chat.

Would the hologram rule mean that the hologrammed duel decks be legal?

Cos if I can play MOM without going down the Legacy or Vintage rabbit hole I'd be very happy

• Locked thread