Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

As a youtube red subscriber, can anyone explain why I would want to use the YT music app on my phone instead of the google Play Music app for streaming music?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

And while I'm in here, is there a name for the phenomenon where a word becomes "strange" as it's repeated, like the word "music" just did for me :v:?

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now

Ciaphas posted:

And while I'm in here, is there a name for the phenomenon where a word becomes "strange" as it's repeated, like the word "music" just did for me :v:?

Semantic satiation (or saturation).

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

El Jeffe posted:

Why do some platinum users have symbols next to their name other than the standard grenade, like a radiation symbol or a pill?

Apparently the pill is to remind the user to take their pills, basically suggesting they're mental.

No idea about the radiation symbol.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Ciaphas posted:

As a youtube red subscriber, can anyone explain why I would want to use the YT music app on my phone instead of the google Play Music app for streaming music?

You can watch music videos on it, as well as not just being beholden to official uploads; you won't find a single Tool song on Play Music for instance, but they're all there on YouTube Music. I don't know how much less bandwidth, if any, it uses in audio mode, because I haven't really played around with it.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Tesseraction posted:

Apparently the pill is to remind the user to take their pills, basically suggesting they're mental.

Not sure but radiation is likely sufferers from forums cancer, aka former posters of LF.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Memento posted:

You can watch music videos on it, as well as not just being beholden to official uploads; you won't find a single Tool song on Play Music for instance, but they're all there on YouTube Music. I don't know how much less bandwidth, if any, it uses in audio mode, because I haven't really played around with it.

Suppose that works. The YT Music app kind of stinks though; it's crashy, and it doesn't respond to play/pause/skip commands from my BT headphones or my car steering wheel (though I only fiddled for a few minutes, maybe there's a setting somewhere).

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

Weren't some of those odd plat symbols just Lowtax posting a thread and changing them to whatever he felt like?

Tin Gang
Sep 27, 2007

Tin Gang posted:

showering has no effect on germs and is terrible for your skin. there is no good reason to do it

Nighthand posted:

Weren't some of those odd plat symbols just Lowtax posting a thread and changing them to whatever he felt like?

Yeah Lowtax posted a thread titled "roll the dice and get a user icon or get banned" or something along those lines a long time ago. Most people got banned.

Everyone knew what they were getting in to. It was all in good fun. :)

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Tesseraction posted:

The radiation symbol is for IKs of the election forum (nice meltdown)

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

IKs?

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
Idiot kings

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

fishmech posted:

The radiation symbol is for IKs of the election forum (nice meltdown)

ohhh, of course

As stubblyhead said, Idiot Kings - they have mod powers but cannot see the mod forums (and therefore cannot see reported posts).

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Cage posted:

I dont understand how no one mentioned the word "Shandy" in the last two pages. Half beer half lemonade, entirely delicious.

The abv can be disappointing though. Throw a shot of vodka in there too.

I did! But yeah, they can use some fortification.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I've realized that I like Hard Ciders more then beer, but I tried some of that Shandy stuff which was being sold at Bevmo but it wasn't as strong, I cut it with Vodka and it was awesome.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

On a related note: how long do spirits last after they're opened? I've got a quarter of a litre of gin left that I haven't touched in about two years - is it ok to drink this or do spirits expire somehow?

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Slavvy posted:

On a related note: how long do spirits last after they're opened? I've got a quarter of a litre of gin left that I haven't touched in about two years - is it ok to drink this or do spirits expire somehow?

Gin lasts for basically ever, but it's flavor starts to go. Five it a smell, and if it's got an odd smell, looks off-color, or tastes bad, then that's what you're going to get. It's ok to drink still, but it's going to taste like crap.

If it's got poo poo floating in it, I'd chuck it though, if only because you shouldn't trust anything that lives in Gin.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.

Turtlicious posted:

I've realized that I like Hard Ciders more then beer, but I tried some of that Shandy stuff which was being sold at Bevmo but it wasn't as strong, I cut it with Vodka and it was awesome.

Try a Snakebite sometime.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Turtlicious posted:

Gin lasts for basically ever, but it's flavor starts to go. Five it a smell, and if it's got an odd smell, looks off-color, or tastes bad, then that's what you're going to get. It's ok to drink still, but it's going to taste like crap.

If it's got poo poo floating in it, I'd chuck it though, if only because you shouldn't trust anything that lives in Gin.

This is why I don't trust my boss.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

what is the best way to get temporary WiFi in France? I am looking to rent an apartment for a couple weeks in a small town and the options I am looking at don't include it

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Snakebite and black is pretty popular amongst underage drinkers as it chases away the harshest of the alcohol taste. Don't be surprised if someone chucks an insult your way for ordering it but gently caress 'em.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.

Tesseraction posted:

Don't be surprised if someone chucks an insult your way for ordering it but gently caress 'em.

Drink enough, and you just might! :v:

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

Slavvy posted:

Alcohol is what they use to preserve stuff in.

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

Crossposting from the Witcher 3 thread:

So I just got this for PC, and I play on a 2560x1440 monitor. However, the game apparently thinks the monitor is 1280xsomething. Scaling the resolution up just zooms in. The selected resolutions that fit the screen are playable but look like poo poo. Anybody here had this problem?

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!

El Jeffe posted:

Crossposting from the Witcher 3 thread:

So I just got this for PC, and I play on a 2560x1440 monitor. However, the game apparently thinks the monitor is 1280xsomething. Scaling the resolution up just zooms in. The selected resolutions that fit the screen are playable but look like poo poo. Anybody here had this problem?

I have the same resolution on my monitor, and I don't have any problems. Have you tried borderless window?

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

Chickpea Roar posted:

I have the same resolution on my monitor, and I don't have any problems. Have you tried borderless window?

It was in borderless window by default, and switching to fullscreen seems to have fixed it! Thanks

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES
How can you tell if spring water is safe to drink?

There's a natural spring near my house, it used to have a sign proclaiming it was regularly tested and was safe for drinking, then one day the sign was changed, it simply said "This water is not for drinking" after a while the sign was vandalised by having the word not crossed out.
I don't know if funding for water testing was withdrawn and the sign was just rear end covering or whether the water was found to be unfit for consumption, is there like a cheap test kit or something you can buy online that tells you whether natural water sources are safe to drink?

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Slavvy posted:

Alcohol (and we are talking about the stronger, 38% or more stuff) will last a long, long time if its stored correctly. Keep it away from sunlight in a relatively cool place. Otherwise it will probably get very harsh and unpleasant to drink.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.

Crankit posted:

There's a natural spring near my house, it used to have a sign proclaiming it was regularly tested and was safe for drinking, then one day the sign was changed, it simply said "This water is not for drinking" after a while the sign was vandalised by having the word not crossed out.
I don't know if funding for water testing was withdrawn and the sign was just rear end covering or whether the water was found to be unfit for consumption, is there like a cheap test kit or something you can buy online that tells you whether natural water sources are safe to drink?

If you look around there are home tests available for certain things like lead/bacteria/nitrates, but no idea how comprehensive that is though and without knowing why the sign changed, not sure it's worth the risk.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Do you live in a fracking state? That has a nasty habit of contaminating groundwater.

uwaeve
Oct 21, 2010

focus this time so i don't have to keep telling you idiots what happened
Lipstick Apathy

Crankit posted:

There's likely to be a test lab close to you. Check with your town, county, or city Board of Health, they may have a lead for you. We are on a well, and have done tests before closing on the property as well as before and after an arsenic remediation system, and I think it runs like $60 to $80 for a basic (but pretty comprehensive) test.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Is anyone able to tell me what size the large-headed screws (part 113287) are on page three of this IKEA instruction booklet? We have a few screws here that would normally do, but the heads are too small and go right through the holes of the hinge brackets they're supposed to fasten to the desk.

I know I can just go the hardware vending machines at the local IKEA but I don't want to do that when we live five minutes from a Rona.

pylb
Sep 22, 2010

"The superfluous, a very necessary thing"

Mak0rz posted:

Is anyone able to tell me what size the large-headed screws (part 113287) are on page three of this IKEA instruction booklet? We have a few screws here that would normally do, but the heads are too small and go right through the holes of the hinge brackets they're supposed to fasten to the desk.

I know I can just go the hardware vending machines at the local IKEA but I don't want to do that when we live five minutes from a Rona.

I think this is it?
http://www.icomp.webcms.se/pdf/temp/233705764.pdf

partiallypro
Jul 29, 2004
Question:

There are various articles recently about people marking Jews online with "(((())))" around their names so others can troll them. I feel like that's not the original purpose, or it has some other meaning. There is a thread in shitpost in D&D with it in the title. So are these journalists missing part of the story, being trolled, or are they right?

partiallypro fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Jun 6, 2016

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

partiallypro posted:

Question:

There are various articles recently about people marking Jews online with "(((())))" around their names so others can troll them. I feel like that's not the original purpose, or it has some other meaning. There is a thread in shitpost in D&D with it in the title. So are these journalists missing part of the story, being trolled, or are they right?

White supremacist shitdicks use the triple parentheses like that to denote Jewish people, not just for trolling but for out and out harassment, like, "It comes to my attention that (((person))) is involved with this, you know what to do!" and then the unfuckable hate nerds would brigade.

It used to be a code that was not well known, but now that it's out, lots of people are wearing it proudly.

edit: so yes, the original purpose of the triple parentheses is to target Jewish people for trolling and harassment. No other meaning, but if the journalists are just saying "it's for trolling" then they're missing the death/violence/rape threats as well.

Memento fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Jun 6, 2016

partiallypro
Jul 29, 2004

Memento posted:

White supremacist shitdicks use the triple parentheses like that to denote Jewish people, not just for trolling but for out and out harassment, like, "It comes to my attention that (((person))) is involved with this, you know what to do!" and then the unfuckable hate nerds would brigade.

It used to be a code that was not well known, but now that it's out, lots of people are wearing it proudly.

edit: so yes, the original purpose of the triple parentheses is to target Jewish people for trolling and harassment. No other meaning, but if the journalists are just saying "it's for trolling" then they're missing the death/violence/rape threats as well.

Does anyone know the origins or how far it goes back? I assume 4Chan? Since the parenthesis are expressions, it's not possible to search for them in most any search engine or index.

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

Is this large spider simply carrying the smaller spider or is about to eat it?

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

partiallypro posted:

Does anyone know the origins or how far it goes back? I assume 4Chan? Since the parenthesis are expressions, it's not possible to search for them in most any search engine or index.

I was curious as well so while I was writing that previous post I had a look. First google trends result for it was around Feb 2007, but the first real public mention of it was from just this month, and mentions 2014 as the first place it was mentioned on a far-right podcast. And your second sentence there seems to be exactly their point; you can't search for them so you can't figure out where the harassment is originating from.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Sebadoh Gigante posted:

Is this large spider simply carrying the smaller spider or is about to eat it?

They could be mating, or the female might be having a post-sex snack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pupdive
Jun 13, 2012

Fruits of the sea posted:

They could be mating, or the female might be having a post-sex snack.

Why can't she be doing both?