Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
What side of the political spectrum are you looking to follow? Where do you live?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Kady o malley is the only good one. Rosie Barton is too busy interviewing attention whore racists these days

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

DariusLikewise posted:

What side of the political spectrum are you looking to follow? Where do you live?

I loving laughed reading this

smdh

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

namaste faggots posted:

I loving laughed reading this

smdh

lmao if you use twitter for news and not for hot takes and memes

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

namaste faggots posted:

loving lol

Literally trying to open up dialogue to solve problems?

Unironically gently caress this guy

He's hardcore pro-rural too

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

namaste faggots posted:

Kady o malley is the only good one. Rosie Barton is too busy interviewing attention whore racists these days

Rosie was hosting the national that night. It was the fill in host

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

Postess with the Mostest posted:

He's hardcore pro-rural too

The first paragraph in the Environment section of his campaign website:

"There is a tremendous economic opportunity in protecting our world for future generations. We need to move away from the idea that rural people are going to carry the burden for our cities. We all share this country, we need our cities to do their part to preserve this nation."

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
If you're not using Twitter for finance and economics news then lol keep reading your previous Fraser institute 'studies'

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

Jimbozig posted:

"There is a tremendous economic opportunity in protecting our world for future generations. We need to move away from the idea that rural people are going to carry the burden for our cities. We all share this country, we need our cities to do their part to preserve this nation."

Really and what burden have rurals been bearing for us

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

DariusLikewise posted:

Far left, Alberta.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
https://twitter.com/george_affleck/status/884660099993681922

loving loooooool

John Horgan's chief of staff motherfuckers

Good job THC

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
All of them have a stable of investment condos just like the old government.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

fadam posted:

Far left, Alberta.

https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Jimbozig posted:

Why did my clenched fist just involuntarily fly up in the air

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

you'd figure arby's would have more of a 'circle of life' vibe to it

poo poo in, poo poo out, hakunamatata sorta thing

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

Why did my clenched fist just involuntarily fly up in the air

My assumption would be wrist stretching gone wrong IT friend.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

namaste faggots posted:

Really and what burden have rurals been bearing for us

Crops you loving idiot

E: and your Keg steak, too

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

namaste faggots posted:

https://twitter.com/george_affleck/status/884660099993681922

loving loooooool

John Horgan's chief of staff motherfuckers

Good job THC

?

Geoff Meggs is Horgan's new chief of staff.

George Affleck is the longest serving NPA councillor (elected because his name starts with an "A" and Vancouver voters don't give a gently caress).

Last time I talked with Meggs the topic of Uber came up, and it was clear he was a super skeptic the company and not a fan, so I doubt he's all that favourable of Airbnb.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

TheKingofSprings posted:

Crops you loving idiot

E: and your Keg steak, too

Lol that you think that

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

namaste faggots posted:

Lol that you think that

Yeah I thought most of our crops were imported from Mexico. Explains why half the apples I've eaten taste like sand.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
lmfao offering up The Keg as a defense of rurals ahahaha

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
where do you think your Montana's steak comes from if not rural canada??? check mate, urbanailures

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

leftist heap posted:

where do you think your Montana's steak comes from if not rural canada??? check mate, urbanailures

Yeah, 90% of the "rurals" I've met have never really set foot on an actual farm.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
Won't someone think of poor rural Canada, with its stream of subsidies from the rest of Canada and its outsized influence on politics?

Mrs. Wynand
Nov 23, 2002

DLT 4EVA
What the hell do people actually do there then? Just work in resource extraction? (i mean, before the mines closed etc)

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

The same stuff people in cities do, plus klan rallies.

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

Drink, mostly. Coffee row for the non-indulgers. Talk about the weather. Tractor pulls and rodeos dot the temporal landscape. Help someone repair their fence. Listen to the game on the radio while in the shop. Change your oil on your gravel driveway. Dirt roads. Hutterites and them natives. Shoot something that is living.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Stickarts posted:

Drink, mostly. Coffee row for the non-indulgers. Talk about the weather. Tractor pulls and rodeos dot the temporal landscape. Help someone repair their fence. Listen to the game on the radio while in the shop. Change your oil on your gravel driveway. Dirt roads. Hutterites and them natives. Shoot something that is living.

This is a pretty good summary.

But add in awkwardly gawk at/gossip about the city folk who come through for whatever reason.

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

Rolling up your window and turning off your air when passing a car on grid roads. Cowboy boots and hats and belt buckles the size of a child's head at weddings. Country music in the bars in front of dimly-lit flat rye and cokes. Towns shutting down at 7:00 pm. Knowing what your neighbour had for breakfast. Lawn care. Barbecues. ATVs and Gators. Sledding in the winter. Fishing and throwing your bottles over the side.

Mrs. Wynand
Nov 23, 2002

DLT 4EVA
Hey are you all reciting a musical at me.

Also, I meant like, for work.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes
Asking your parents if the person you been seeing a few months might be a cousin cause things are getting serious

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

You can live for a thousand bucks a month pretty comfortably in a small town if you have roommates of whatever kind. Part time service sector jobs, Mr. Fix-it's, day labour on or off farms. Lots of people legitimately hunt for food or garden or whatever when you're approaching the deeper rural/bush.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Asking your parents if the person you been seeing a few months might be a cousin cause things are getting serious

This is a serious concern when the town is eight generations of the same five families. There's a shortage of last names

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

Agribusiness centers, mechanics, trades suppliers of various kinds. Stores selling stuff you need to grow/build/repair are scattered all over the place. One Massey Ferguson dealership employing 15 people in a town where there are only 100 working adults.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

My friends are one of the largest employers in the town they live in. They own a Home Hardware

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

infernal machines posted:

My friends are one of the largest employers in the town they live in. They own a Home Hardware

It's like there's this... connection between us. Can I bring over cabbage rolls and a six pack of Budweiser sometime?

e. Coor's light.

Stickarts fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Jul 11, 2017

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

If you are a teenager in rural Canada you are almost guaranteed to have a drug/alcohol problem at this point I reckon.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

DariusLikewise posted:

If you are a teenager in rural Canada you are almost guaranteed to have a drug/alcohol problem at this point I reckon.

Or an adult.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Stickarts posted:

It's like there's this... connection between us. Can I bring over cabbage rolls and a six pack of Budweiser sometime?

e. Coor's light.

Yes. I'm making perogies and we'll be grilling the world's shittiest frozen hamburgers from the 24-hour Foodland.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
My experience of rural youth culture is that intramural sports and weekend house parties have done more for Reconciliation than the federal government ever has.