Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brimruk
Jun 5, 2009

nothing quiet or magical about them :smugdog:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

jesus managers

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

They magically extract high salaries for performing no real work

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

"John," Trump asked, "Is Ireland one of those countries you want to invade?"

quote:

Behind the scenes: The joke captured how Trump often privately interacts with Bolton, even occasionally in front of foreign heads of state. "John has never seen a war he doesn't like," Trump said in a recent Oval Office meeting, according to a source with direct knowledge.

quote:

In a SitRoom meeting last year, Trump's national security team was going around the table discussing a topic that was nuanced and had no relation to major military action. A source in the room said that as the conversation got to Bolton, Trump joked: "Ok, John, let me guess, you want to nuke them all?" People in the room "died laughing," the source said.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Feel like poo poo just want him back

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

In Training posted:

Trump often privately ribs Bolton about his public persona, according to sources who've been in Situation Room meetings with them. (Trump teases most of his top advisers and officials in different ways. For example, during discussions of trade with China, Trump has needled Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin in front of other senior officials: "Steve, you're so weak. You're so weak. You didn't used to be this way in business. You're so weak now.")

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

lol

In Training posted:

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

bedpan posted:

Trump often privately ribs Bolton about his public persona, according to sources who've been in Situation Room meetings with them. (Trump teases most of his top advisers and officials in different ways. For example, during discussions of trade with China, Trump has needled Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin in front of other senior officials: "Steve, you're so weak. You're so weak. You didn't used to be this way in business. You're so weak now.")
lmao

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Trump Reportedly Asked Reince Priebus How Badgers ‘Work’ and If They’re ‘Mean to People’

quote:

According to a forthcoming book — Sinking in the Swamp: How Trump’s Minions and Misfits Poisoned Washington — Trump is also badger-curious, and used to pelt former White House chief of staff Reince Priebus about the official animal of his home state of Wisconsin.

quote:

Business Insider obtained a copy of Sinking in the Swamp and broke out a few more details: Trump would repeatedly “waste Priebus’s time” in meetings by asking about how badgers “work” and if they are “mean to people.” The president also asked his chief of staff if he had any pictures of badgers he could show him, apparently unaware of the properties of his cellphone beyond his favorite app.

“Trump also wanted to know if the badger had a ‘personality’ or if it was boring,” according to the authors. “An obviously enthralled president would stare at Priebus as the aide struggled for sufficiently placating answers, all the while trying to gently veer the conversation back to whether we were going to do a troop surge in Afghanistan or strip millions of Americans of health-care coverage.”

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Truga posted:

jesus managers

corporate memphis death march

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

In Training posted:

good news,

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
The Gorilla Channel is Real

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

sorry Mr boat not falling for it this time.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

Casey Finnigan posted:

temu: bootleg trash from nonexistent brands with nonsense names

Amazon: bootleg trash from nonexistent brands with nonsense names, but more expensive

Hmm...

I have, multiple times, found some useful-esque gadget on Amazon and then ordered an item from Temu which had the same description text, in some case the same photos, and a price at about 25% of whatever amazon wanted. From this I conclude that a lot of Amazon sellers are just bulk Temu buyers with cheap warehouse space somewhere.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Trump is a precocious six year old and that’s bad

HashtagGirlboss has issued a correction as of 17:13 on Apr 12, 2024

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

badger curious trump has my vote

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

This idiotic phrase is going to be looping in my head all day, thanks

Troutful
May 31, 2011

bedpan posted:

According to a forthcoming book — Sinking in the Swamp: How Trump’s Minions and Misfits Poisoned Washington — Trump is also badger-curious, and used to pelt former White House chief of staff Reince Priebus about the official animal of his home state of Wisconsin.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Cabbages and Kings posted:

From this I conclude that a lot of Amazon sellers are just bulk Temu buyers with cheap warehouse space somewhere.
This is known. And they don't have their own warehouse space; Amazon supplies that.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

https://www.politico.com/news/magazine/2024/04/12/katyal-machine-politics-in-new-jersey-00151795

Lmfao imagine anyone thinking of Neil as anything other than a soulless careerist

Love the photo though. I don’t know why but it just suits him

Edit: oops, meant this for succ

HashtagGirlboss has issued a correction as of 18:09 on Apr 12, 2024

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

hell yeah.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

HashtagGirlboss posted:

https://www.politico.com/news/magazine/2024/04/12/katyal-machine-politics-in-new-jersey-00151795

Lmfao imagine anyone thinking of Neil as anything other than a soulless careerist

Isn't this the kind of stuff democrats love though? eg

quote:

NEW YORK

In 2020, then-Governor Andrew Cuomo led an effort to modify the state's ballot access law that changed the definition of a pre-qualified party, taking the Libertarian, Green and Independence parties off the ballot.
The petition requirement tripled to 45,000 signatures - including at least 500 in half of the state's 26 congressional districts, but the six-week petitioning period remained the same.

Democrats sue to keep Green Party off North Carolina ballot

apnews.com - Fri, 05 Aug 2022 posted:

RALEIGH, N.C. (AP) — North Carolina Democrats, accused by the Green Party of meddling in its petitioning process to qualify candidates for the November ballot, have asked a state court to overturn a unanimous elections board vote granting the Green Party official recognition despite allegations of fraud.

Biden Allies Try to Squash Third-Party Candidates

www.nytimes.com - Sun, 08 Oct 2023 posted:

## Fearing Third-Party Spoilers vs. Trump, Biden Allies Try to Squash Them

With Democrats worried that a third-party bid could throw a tight race to Donald Trump, President Biden’s top aides have blessed a broad offensive to starve such efforts of cash and ballot access.

2023-10-11T16:31:28-04:00

Powerful allies of President Biden are aggressively working to stop third-party and independent presidential candidacies, fearing that an outside bid could cost Democrats an election that many believe will again come down to a few percentage points in key battleground states.

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

HashtagGirlboss posted:

Edit: oops, meant this for succ

they should use this photo for every article on him

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

they should use this photo for every article on him

banned for doxxing one of our brothers in the biosphere collapse thread

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
trump getting into power and just making fun all of the neocons that rolled into power with him is definitely one of the funnier aspects. they still got him to kill the iran deal so he's a dumbass for even that but torturing john bolton by giving him enough rope to do stupid poo poo and not succeed is funny

Cabbages and Kings posted:

I have, multiple times, found some useful-esque gadget on Amazon and then ordered an item from Temu which had the same description text, in some case the same photos, and a price at about 25% of whatever amazon wanted. From this I conclude that a lot of Amazon sellers are just bulk Temu buyers with cheap warehouse space somewhere.

its all just commodity fetishization. more than likely a gadget is all produced in the same factory and different brands just slap some identifier on it so they can sell it on different platforms for different amounts of money.

Dreylad has issued a correction as of 18:53 on Apr 12, 2024

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
They do that with meat, I don't see why they wouldn't do it with any other consumer commodity.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

https://archive.ph/Gnch7 David French is shocked, shocked, to learn that the Republican party isn't pro-life at all.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Arsenic Lupin posted:

https://archive.ph/Gnch7 David French is shocked, shocked, to learn that the Republican party isn't pro-life at all.

i was waiting for the author to take a stand on IVF and he both has friends who went through IVF but also seems to view all those embryos destroyed in IVF as murder, presumably. so he's friends with murderers? nothing new for a NYT oped writer, but even when trying to write a consistent line about being pro-life it's sidestepping the issue that could affect his interpersonal relationships

quote:

The older I get, the more I’m convinced that we simply don’t know who we are — or what we truly believe — until our values carry a cost.

yeah no poo poo. david french announcing that david french is clueless.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Dreylad posted:

nothing new for a NYT oped writer, but even when trying to write a consistent line about being pro-life it's sidestepping the issue that could affect his interpersonal relationships

:emptyquote:

BitcoinRockefeller
May 11, 2003

God gave me my money.

Hair Elf
The craziest fact about badgers is that dachshunds were bred to hunt them. I have a hard time believing a wiener dog could be anything more than an annoying yappie dog.

Megamissen
Jul 19, 2022

any post can be a kannapost
if you want it to be

BitcoinRockefeller posted:

The craziest fact about badgers is that dachshunds were bred to hunt them. I have a hard time believing a wiener dog could be anything more than an annoying yappie dog.

they have to be low to the ground to get into the burrows and scare the badgers out

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

That just sounds like Trump roasting his cabinet

"oh look at wisconsin over here. How are the badgers? I bet you love badgers."

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:

BitcoinRockefeller posted:

my parents have some mixed dachshunds and they've probably murdered a couple neighborhood cats

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

bedpan posted:

Trump Reportedly Asked Reince Priebus How Badgers ‘Work’ and If They’re ‘Mean to People’

quote:

“Trump also wanted to know if the badger had a ‘personality’ or if it was boring,” according to the authors. “An obviously enthralled president would stare at Priebus as the aide struggled for sufficiently placating answers, all the while trying to gently veer the conversation back to whether we were going to do a troop surge in Afghanistan or strip millions of Americans of health-care coverage.”

I love Trump distracting the government with badger chat to keep them from doing a troop surge or stripping millions of health care coverage. The true harm reduction candidate.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

he gave me 1400$

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

:smug:
‘You are a communist:’ No, I’m not, but the data knows my real identity

www.seattletimes.com - Sat, 13 Apr 2024 posted:

“You are a communist, a bona fide red,” one reader sounded off.

“Your maddening moderate centrism doesn’t make you bold,” wrote another. “It makes you a lackey for the status quo.”

“Please try for once venturing outside your far-left, loonie liberal box,” chimed in a third. “There’s no room for you to go any more left. So you might as well try coming back, toward reality.”

I do get feedback. These were all from the past week. I’ve noticed that messages from readers increasingly tend to pigeonhole, label or categorize. I think it’s part of the polarization of society.

It’s got me missing former Seattle City Councilmember Kshama Sawant, who called me “conservative columnist Westneat.” That was a good reminder that everything in politics is relative.

I was intrigued then when the pollster YouGov, in combination with The Economist magazine, decided to take pigeonholing to a whole different level.

They put out a vast model of voting characteristics, in an effort to typecast the political identities of Americans. It’s the combination of more than 100,000 poll responses over the past two years, aimed at forecasting how every imaginable demographic variable contributes to who we are politically — and to how we express that through the vote.

In this database’s world, I am not, it turns out, a communist. I am a “straight, white man, aged 55-64, from a city in Washington who is atheist or agnostic and has a college degree.” That’s all it needs to know to predict my politics in the presidential election, according to the modelers.

It forecasts I’m about 80-90% likely to vote for Democrat Joe Biden, and only about 10% to 20% likely to vote for the Republican, Donald Trump.

It can typecast you, too, just based on who you are — try it out at economist.com/us-voter.

What’s fascinating, or alarming, about the data is how locked in America’s political tribalism appears to be. Demography really is destiny. Policy scarcely matters, and one wonders if free thought is on the endangered list, too.

On the right-to-left spectrum, for example, the Trumpiest voter possible is a straight white man aged 75-plus from rural Oklahoma who is evangelical and didn’t finish college. That guy’s 92% likely to vote Trump.

Meanwhile, if you are a lesbian Asian woman aged 25-34 from a city in California who is atheist and has a college degree, it’s over, you’re voting for Biden. It’s 99% certain, according to the data.

There are thousands of varieties of people in between, with the purpose of the data set to try to identify the elusive “swing” voter. But they make up less than 3% of the total, so in theory this election as it stands, barring some big shake-up, seems practically cast in concrete.

There’s been a lot of talk about “divides” in politics, such as gender, racial or urban-rural gaps. And it’s true, where you live or what your ethnicity is goes a long way toward forming your political preferences.

But what stands out with this huge new data set is how one thing rules above all others.

“Although race is often cited as the central cleavage in America, the single most powerful predictor of voting intention is religion,” the Economist noted. “A model that knows nothing save for respondents’ religious affiliations can correctly identify which of the two leading candidates they prefer 62% of the time.”

If you take me, for example — a straight white man from a city in Washington who is atheistic or agnostic with a college degree — and simply made me Catholic instead, I — or rather my voter-type — would instantly shift about 30 points more Republican. I’d go from 10%-20% likely to vote for Trump to 48% Trump, 52% Biden. I’d be a swing voter.

If you made me evangelical, I’d move 60 points to the right and be a solid Trump voter.

But if you kept me an atheist or agnostic and moved me from Seattle to a rural area in Washington like, say, Omak, I’d move only 8 points toward the Republicans. In other words, religion causes vastly more political sorting than does the urban-rural divide.

Everyone’s an individual, of course, while these are aggregate predictions. But to a startling degree, religion, which is not talked about that much in politics anymore, is the engine driving it all.

So if the reader up top had specified that I was a “godless” communist, he might have been on to something.

In the exit polls for the last statewide elections, in 2022, 34% of Washington state voters answered “none” when asked for their religion. This makes the areligious the largest religious group in the state, by far. Coming in second were Protestants at 19%, with Catholics at 13%.

The Census shows that Seattle is the least religious big city in America. The least religious county in Washington, San Juan County, has 49% who classify as “Nones,” while a number of red counties in eastern Washington are at 20%.

There is no other factor that dictates the trajectory of Washington state politics like this one. It’s why the state is overwhelmingly pro-abortion rights, technocratic and pro-science. And why most cultural or morality-based politics falls flat here — especially if there’s some hint of mixing church with state.

Trump’s decision to start hawking Bibles? Just a hunch, that’s probably not going to land well here. But it’s possible he knows what he’s doing when it comes to certain swing states. As the Economist noted: “The more importance someone places on religion, the more likely they are to be a Trump voter. Godliness is next to Trumpiness.”

Are we all really this categorizable? Seems so, and in surprisingly banal ways that sophisticated campaigns, using artificial intelligence, can exploit to reach voters.

Stanford researchers created an AI algorithm that analyzes car makes and models lifted from millions of Google Street View images, and can use that alone to accurately predict how areas of towns will vote. Forget elemental things like your faith or your gender identity — you are what you drive.

“You are a communist”? Whatever. But “You are a Subaru driver” — now that would be really saying something meaningful in modern American politics.

Apr 15, 2024

quote:

The Quiet Magic of Middle Managers

the quiet magic of no output for 2 years?

Apr 15, 2024
the quiet magic of a new record low amount of content

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

the quiet magic of bmw drivers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Lol, this says I've got an 89% chance to vote for Biden

I take it they don't calculate for "won't vote"