Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which lifepath will you take?
NOMAD (I like freedom)
STREET KID (I like the city)
CORPO (I like money)
I don't like labels
View Results

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

I would really prefer if you would be quiet.

Mendrian posted:

Delemain is the opposite though - He's a boring regular AI that barely responds at a level above a chat bot but breaks up into component AIs capable of feeling emotions, albeit childish ones. It suggests the sentience isn't just a matter of better programming - it's an accident.

Right I think it's the merge option where you basically create a new AI and then it leaves behind Delamain Jr. and dips out to explore the Net. Also we saw the unstable fragments we merged together so for all we know that AI has all kinds of issues just waiting to surface!

Tenkaris fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Aug 20, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

worm girl
Feb 12, 2022

Can you hear it too?
We're in a new generation of cuberpunk where "can a robot be a person" can't really be considered a serious question. Yes, obviously they're people if they're made well enough. 2077 and Bladerunner 2049 both try look at how that fact affects the way we think of ourselves. It's like how Darwin's theory of evolution was met with shock and horror because if humans are just animals then we can't possibly be God's special chosen ones.

In 2077, humanity is degraded and devalued. Darwin proved we're animals, Arasaka proved we're things. Johnny's every bit as human as anyone else, but he's just a bunch of data and some plastic and wire. He is less than even an animal, but it's clear that none of us meatbodies are anything more than he is. This is bleak as gently caress, but you can still fight for your ideals, find family, become a legend, try to transcend your existence, or just kill yourself if you want. You don't have to be special to be free.

2049's whole theme is that nobody's special. Humanity is afraid of acknowledging the replicants despite the fact that they all know they're as human as themselves. It would upset their exploitative economic system, but it would also be a blow to the of a species that is literally dying out. 2049 takes it one step further and shows the female replicants being hateful and violent toward Joy, who they see as a threat to their own perceived specialness, punching down because they can't punch up. It is really really good stuff.

"Can a robot be a man" arose when people were anxious about automation taking their jobs. The jobs are long gone now and it's apparent that no amount of climate crisis, economic collapse, or nuclear disaster will stop the progress of industry. I think the new wave of cyberpunk is really trying to tackle that species-wide existential crisis. It's really interesting comparing it to cyberpunk stuff from like 20 years ago where people were imagining a slick Apple iFuture and the concerns were largely around globalization and information control.

worm girl fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Aug 20, 2022

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

worm girl posted:

We're in a new generation of cuberpunk where "can a robot be a person" can't really be considered a serious question.

Speaking of a new generation of Cyberpunk, something I like about 2077's vision is that the upper crust is just as miserable and riven with existential dread as everyone else. Of all the wealthy and powerful people you encounter, I think Kerry probably comes closest to being happy, and even he is trending more toward something like cheerful nihilism. Every other example I can think of: the Peralez's, Rogue, Lizzy, every single Arasaka are all some combination of broken, wretched, and terrified. The ravenous maw of capitalism has devoured its way so far up the social hierarchy that even the elite can feel a nipping at their heels.

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

Just picked up my boy Ozob and then drove him straight to... Embers. God drat it. It really wants me to finish the game, huh?

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

How long is it from meeting hanako to the end of the game? It's outright comical how much sidequesting there is, game owns though

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

sebmojo posted:

How long is it from meeting hanako to the end of the game? It's outright comical how much sidequesting there is, game owns though

After you meet her and escape the building, she sends a proxy to offer to meet you at a club called Embers. Starting that quest is the Point of No Return, you will be railroaded to an ending with no option to do anything else.

My first playthrough didn't side quest much and got to that point in 15-20 hours, I probably ended up putting another 40+ hours on that save file doing all the side content too.

The ending options available to you are determined by how much you have done with Rogue and The Aldecaldos, so if you haven't seen those plots through you are even more limited in your options for the mission.

And of course, the holocall voice mails during the credits are a lot more satisfying if you saw all those optional side jobs through.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Tenkaris posted:

After you meet her and escape the building, she sends a proxy to offer to meet you at a club called Embers. Starting that quest is the Point of No Return, you will be railroaded to an ending with no option to do anything else.

My first playthrough didn't side quest much and got to that point in 15-20 hours, I probably ended up putting another 40+ hours on that save file doing all the side content too.

The ending options available to you are determined by how much you have done with Rogue and The Aldecaldos, so if you haven't seen those plots through you are even more limited in your options for the mission.

And of course, the holocall voice mails during the credits are a lot more satisfying if you saw all those optional side jobs through.

How long is the endgame, was what I was meaning, couple of hours?

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

sebmojo posted:

How long is the endgame, was what I was meaning, couple of hours?

About 3-4 hours or so on average? Some ending routes are longer than others, though.

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners
I went the Aldecaldos route and the endgame didn't take too long, maybe 2-3 hours; I didn't die and only had to reload once because the Basilisk literally flipped over before I was due to drive into the tunnel. It only cost me like 4 minutes, though.

I was also in a hurry because I finished the game a couple of hours before leaving for a work trip :shobon:

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

Yeah actually only the Arasaka route could probably reach 4 hours because of the playable epilogue, where I didn't skip any dialogue either. The rest were notably shorter.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
if you're short on time one of them is pretty quick!

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

lol

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I forgot until my recent replay that vic is the one who offers you that option (assumed it was Johnny). I guess the Hippocratic oath changed over the years

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Ainsley McTree posted:

I forgot until my recent replay that vic is the one who offers you that option (assumed it was Johnny). I guess the Hippocratic oath changed over the years

Vic is not a licensed medical professional.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Wish someone had told me that before I let him rip out my eyes!!

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
They weren't even yours, you just borrowed them for a bit.

Sandepande
Aug 19, 2018
I've been reading this thread ever since 2077 came out, and it seems like the game (or more specifically combat) part of the game is still a bit crap? Loot doesn't work, some builds are ridiculously op and level overwhelmingly determines damage? A little like in Witcher 3?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
i'd say that if you can play Bethesda games and not throw up, it's an acceptable level of jank

a lot of the RPG mechanics like perks are busted, but the shooting itself is nice and the bulk of the game's appeal is in dialogue and character interactions/quests anyway, so yeah, similar to witcher 3

i will say that the actual combat mechanics, as in shooting people is far more satisfying than whatever the hell W3's combat was trying to do

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Sandepande posted:

I've been reading this thread ever since 2077 came out, and it seems like the game (or more specifically combat) part of the game is still a bit crap? Loot doesn't work, some builds are ridiculously op and level overwhelmingly determines damage? A little like in Witcher 3?

Yeah, it's fun though. It's whatever the polar opposite of slick is, but unloading a shotgun into some goon continues to entertain.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

It's also worth noting that you can avoid a lot of the run and gun combat in this game by focusing on stealth and/or quickhacks. I think part of the challenge CDPR ran into was they made your build a bit too flexible - which made it both difficult to balance (hence the overpowered/underpowered builds) but also difficult to make every playstyle feel rewarding.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Feels Villeneuve posted:

i'd say that if you can play Bethesda games and not throw up, it's an acceptable level of jank

yeah i'd say that cyberpunk is similar to, but better than, fallout 4

the gunplay is acceptable, the game is kind of easy, but in terms of wandering around an interesting open world collecting garbage and solving people's problems, its a good time

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Why have I spent an hour going through the atelier wardrobe to play dress up for a character I won't see in third person for another 60 hours

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Ainsley McTree posted:

Wish someone had told me that before I let him rip out my eyes!!

I was under the impression that you already had some sort of lower-quality eye mods before getting them replaced with the Kiroshi (and that this applies to the vast majority of people). Vic appears to just casually unscrew your eyeball and then screw the new one in, which presumably wouldn't happen if it were still flesh and blood.

If I had to guess, it seems like the eyeball replacement comes with the territory of whatever mod gives almost everyone a USB port in their head. Since it seems like the eyes are "plugged in" rather than there being any sort of surgery involved.

edit: I think you can still tag/hack people before getting the Kiroshi eyes (I know you can in that first mission), which would presumably require the overlay you get from the robot eyes.

Sandepande
Aug 19, 2018
I like Bethesda's Fallouts, but I didn't care for Witcher 3's story or style, lovingly crafted though it was. Not the target audience, I suppose.

As far as playstyles go, I tend te respec or change it from stealth archer to gung-ho face blaster mid-game, so rhat bit does not worry me much.

Maybe I'll wait a little longer to see if the price drops. Thabks for the comments!

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
i like the idea that it's just normalized enough that there's zero issue raised about the MC having their eyes popped out and there's no "am i becoming.... less human????" stuff or anything. like they say it feels like a trip to the dentist

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
This game is as balanced as anything Bethsoft has ever made. Every RPG becomes OP at a certain point, otherwise it falls into a specific genre that specifically caters to breaking that trope.

If you don’t want your build to be OP, while attempting something like a completionist run, that means specially speccing your character with the intention of hobbling them to keep the game challenging.
:shrug:

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

The difficulty of every open-world game comes unglued after a while. The need to balance the critical path while also rewarding the player for completing side content means you basically can't prevent them from outrunning the difficulty curve.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
I just got this game. Should I just play on normal if I just want to shoot dudes and have a good time?

I read that harder difficulties increase enemy health which seems like a terrible thing in a FPS.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

WaltherFeng posted:

I just got this game. Should I just play on normal if I just want to shoot dudes and have a good time?

I read that harder difficulties increase enemy health which seems like a terrible thing in a FPS.

I played on Hard, and the game was a cakewalk 99% of the time. Enemies didn't seem too bullet spongy unless they were way higher level than me.

You can also change the difficulty mid-game, so it don't really matter. Start on whatever and turn it up or down as needed.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
It's friggin' August the 23rd 2022. Where's more Cyberpunk? :mad:

Sandepande
Aug 19, 2018

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

This game is as balanced as anything Bethsoft has ever made. Every RPG becomes OP at a certain point, otherwise it falls into a specific genre that specifically caters to breaking that trope.

If you don’t want your build to be OP, while attempting something like a completionist run, that means specially speccing your character with the intention of hobbling them to keep the game challenging.
:shrug:

I'm not super-picky about game balance, although I'd prefer if the game itself provided the hobbling, and I wouldn't need to do it myself.

Funky See Funky Do posted:

In 2023, or so Google tells me.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Regarding engrams I think the cyberpunk setting makes you instinctively reject any form of spirituality, but I feel like the game is trying to suggest the "soul"/spark of life/whatever does exist in the engrams and that getting soulkilled really does do something besides copy data while killing it's target.

The Devil pushes this a bit too because what you're experiencing is a bit beyond just some brain damage.

I also don't think V died for real when they ate Dex's bullet. They flatlined, the chip was like "ah okay, this is a corpse now officially." Then it repaired what it needed for V to start breathing again before somatic death actually happened. I don't think V is really losing anything as the transfer goes on either- they just experience Johnny's life through his memories and feelings. That's plenty enough to permanently change someone. V is still V but now they have a whole second life worth of memories to contextualize the world through- this is true for Johnny too.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

site posted:

Why have I spent an hour going through the atelier wardrobe to play dress up for a character I won't see in third person for another 60 hours

For the director mode screenshots

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

Funky See Funky Do posted:

The game only left early access 5 months ago. They haven't even provided any of the much touted FREE DLC besides some trinkets.

The next big trailer or teaser for the expansion is going to end with a POLICE CAR CHASE as a jaw drop moment but it won't be impactful.

Just give me an underground sewer network of weirdos that leads to the desert cave

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

WaltherFeng posted:

the only thing increased difficulty does is stretch out the period of time between when you start the game and when your stack of perks, gear, and abilities becomes so OP that the only thing that can hurt you is making a mistake

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Fabricated posted:

I also don't think V died for real when they ate Dex's bullet. They flatlined, the chip was like "ah okay, this is a corpse now officially." Then it repaired what it needed for V to start breathing again before somatic death actually happened. I don't think V is really losing anything as the transfer goes on either- they just experience Johnny's life through his memories and feelings. That's plenty enough to permanently change someone. V is still V but now they have a whole second life worth of memories to contextualize the world through- this is true for Johnny too.

The brain repairatron seems like an insanely huge emergency trauma care gamechanger :v:

E: like surely you can make one without the overwrite function that just fixes your poo poo when you get shot in the head

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
There's now a mod that enables player reflections. Not perfect by any means but if you have a powerful PC and can handle some more visual jank, it may be worth a try. Behold the reason why mirrors work the way they do: https://www.nexusmods.com/cyberpunk2077/mods/5046

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Player reflections would have been nice to alert me that I was accidentally walking around buck naked for long sections of the game.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
that's probably pretty normal in night city tbh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

finally Hanging Dong in Night City means something again