Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

griffith sacrifices...his hair...!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Khagan posted:

This assumes that Void is in fact the guy that was locked up at the bottom of the Tower of Conviction during that time. Though, Skull Knight's interactions with him seem to suggest this is the case.

Also, the whole Griffith sacrificing Falconia to go beyond godlike requires an Apostle Behelit or greater and I doubt Miura would recycle that idea. Then there's the Red Behelit but we won't be seeing that for another 200+ years.

There is only 5 god hands and Griffith is the last one. Void also fits the math for being the Tower of Conviction prisoner. Though I'd like to know who threw the brands out in his ceremony and killed the marked people.

Piriwi
Feb 20, 2006

YouTuber posted:

There is only 5 god hands and Griffith is the last one. Void also fits the math for being the Tower of Conviction prisoner. Though I'd like to know who threw the brands out in his ceremony and killed the marked people.

Probably the other 4 god hand members, including Femto. It's not a paradox if the astral realm (where the god hand members reside) and physical plane do not share the same passage of time. The astral realm is where elements, forms and mental ideas exist, it's not a reach to assume that it has no real passage of time at all and that from there the god hand members are able to manipulate events in the physical realm at any time to meet their goals. They always talk about fate and causality and how some events are certain to happen by their manipulations.

This is probably also the reason why precisely during an eclipse the god hand are at their most vulnerable, they make specific mention about how unpredictable events can happen during an eclipse. It's the only time when there are only 4 instead of 5 god hand angels and they are brought into the physical world. It's a blind spot to them.

Davinci
Feb 21, 2013
Oh poo poo, that means that ever since the astral and physical worlds merged, that the whole world is pretty much in a perpetual eclipse state now. That means that all the God Hand are vulnerable, albeit exceedingly powerful, but they're killable now.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Davinci posted:

Oh poo poo, that means that ever since the astral and physical worlds merged, that the whole world is pretty much in a perpetual eclipse state now. That means that all the God Hand are vulnerable, albeit exceedingly powerful, but they're killable now.

The fact Griffith had his best soldiers and generals try to kill Schierke's master gave up the illusion that he or the Godhand are invincible.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Nelson Mandingo posted:

The fact Griffith had his best soldiers and generals try to kill Schierke's master gave up the illusion that he or the Godhand are invincible.

She knows at possibly as much about the way the world actually works as the God Hand themselves, of course they're going to take her very seriously.

threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

Shugojin posted:

She knows at possibly as much about the way the world actually works as the God Hand themselves, of course they're going to take her very seriously.

I think it's more that Griffith himself didn't come to kill her. If he was really an invincible God Hand with nothing to fear from her, why send a bunch of expendable soldiers? Why not just fly on his sweet rear end wings and kill her.

It's probably because Skull Knight, Guts (with Berserker armor), and Flora all in the same spot could go very bad for Femto.

Really, I feel like the Achilles heel of the Idea and the God Hand is the fact that they all exist because humanity needs them to exist. When you consider that all of their power is ultimately rooted in the psychic desires of man, they are not so powerful.

That said, in my opinion the major difference between the Idea and the God Hand is that the Idea understands and accepts this. It's been awhile since I read the "lost chapter," which may or may not end up cannon by series end, but I got a vibe from the Idea that it was really there to serve humanity, and not necessarily to subjugate or abuse it.

The God Hand on the other hand were all once human beings themselves. Their motivations are slightly less clear to me. As far as I can tell they all wanted the spirit realm and the realm of man to merge so that they could take more of a center stage in human affairs, I think anyway.

Hopefully the next chapter will shed some kind of light on this when Rickert and Griffith have a chat.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Yeah I also got the general feeling that the Idea, well, evil, but not maliciously so. It came into existence in response to people's need for something to explain all the bad poo poo people do. It may have made the God Hand and a horde of horrible demons, but in the words of terrible software developers everywhere, "working as intended". :v:

e: Basically it's doing exactly what the collective subconscious expects of it, no matter what it does (unless it were to just say "gently caress this noise" and start doing Good things in some sort of cosmic suicide attempt).

Shugojin fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Aug 20, 2014

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

That raises the question of whether the supernatural things like mermaids, dragons, etc. just exist because humans imagined they did, or if they actually exist and are born of the elemental spirits or something. Like Puck, is he an advanced sort of wind spirit, or just the result of the human subconscious?

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

I'm pretty sure they explained at some point that pretty much all of the fantastical poo poo is because of human thought, and that most of that had faded into the spiritual plane because of humanity's growing disbelief in things like nature spirits as opposed to God.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Piriwi posted:

That's also why Griffith had to pay a price to become the white falcon, it's human to expect to pay a price in order to receive a reward. But even though Griffith wanted to be the hero and was willing to pay that price, in the past he has also shown specific interest in Guts who represents the opposite of all that: Guts is completely self-empowered, he doesn't care about fate, his legacy, being the hero or any of that. If Griffith just wants to live as a Godking for eternity he will try to crush Guts again, but he might also consider his dream to have been fulfilled and think his life is boring at this point. He might even welcome Guts and the chaos he will bring.

I'd like to see this happen, if only because it be very Nietzschian to have somebody literally get everything they've ever wanted, only to go into a decline because they have no more rivals or challenges. I don't really think this will happen, I suppose in a world where humans make all the values even Gods and idols will ultimately be human, all too human -

listen guys if the series just became a dramatic examination of some of Nietzsche's ideas with occasional monster eviscerating, I'd be very happy

Ccs posted:

That raises the question of whether the supernatural things like mermaids, dragons, etc. just exist because humans imagined they did, or if they actually exist and are born of the elemental spirits or something. Like Puck, is he an advanced sort of wind spirit, or just the result of the human subconscious?

Puck existed before the eclipse, so I take it the answer is no. I've asked this very question about mermaids, though. The answer seems to be "Schrodinger's Cat in a Demon Box."

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
I just hope that Silat joins the Guts Gang at some point cause that dude owns.

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer

Nebakenezzer posted:

I'd like to see this happen, if only because it be very Nietzschian to have somebody literally get everything they've ever wanted, only to go into a decline because they have no more rivals or challenges.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

Nebakenezzer posted:

I'd like to see this happen, if only because it be very Nietzschian to have somebody literally get everything they've ever wanted, only to go into a decline because they have no more rivals or challenges. I don't really think this will happen, I suppose in a world where humans make all the values even Gods and idols will ultimately be human, all too human -

listen guys if the series just became a dramatic examination of some of Nietzsche's ideas with occasional monster eviscerating, I'd be very happy

Puck existed before the eclipse, so I take it the answer is no. I've asked this very question about mermaids, though. The answer seems to be "Schrodinger's Cat in a Demon Box."

Even before the Eclipse occurred there were supernatural elements in the world along with Apostles. The Eclipse was just the turning point from humans going "oh those silly fairy legends" to "i really don't want a troll to eat my dick" even though their dicks are TOTALLY going to eaten by trolls.

Khagan
Aug 8, 2012

Words cannot describe just how terrible Vietnamese are.
Surely something good came from the World Transformation, can't have the bad without the good.

Kubla Khan
Jun 20, 2014
The way the Idea of Evil is described with explicit reference to it being a product of humanity's collective subconscious is a straight-up (conscious?) throwback to Jung and his archetypes.

Jimmybob
Mar 7, 2005
Next Berserk is out in a few days. I hope we can go back to Guts and crew after this.

Pleiades
Aug 20, 2006
I found this:

On the SK.net forum. The text apparently says: "Rickert bravely spoke his mind to the absolute ruler. He was a real man, he didn't bend down and that Griffith can control plants.

Pleiades fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Sep 24, 2014

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t
Edit: spoiler that loving poo poo, man! I know you meant well but gently caress.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

I'm only finding this out now but apparently a translation patch was finally finished and released for the PS2 game that came out years ago. I'm playing through it right now and it's not exactly great but the character animation is really nice and it's satisfying as hell to annihilate loving everything with the Dragon Slayer. The patch has quite a bit of poorly worded text but it's hard to complain.

I still find it a little odd this never made it outside of Asia, but IIRC part of that was due to the issues facing Sammy's US division. It's really odd that the first game made it over here as I don't even think the anime or the manga were licensed in North America during that time, but the sequel got completely passed up despite having an established, albeit niche, audience clamoring for loving anything past the Eclipse. I think the graphics were good for its time, the cinematics are nicely done, and there are some :krad: moves Guts pulls off during boss battles that I'm sure would make Miura proud.

The counter/reversal system is a nice touch, but leveling up feels way too slow. This game also makes me really miss the original Japanese actor who played Guts, that dude knows his poo poo when it comes to sounding utterly pissed off and yelling and everything.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Awesome Welles posted:

I'm only finding this out now but apparently a translation patch was finally finished and released for the PS2 game that came out years ago. I'm playing through it right now and it's not exactly great but the character animation is really nice and it's satisfying as hell to annihilate loving everything with the Dragon Slayer. The patch has quite a bit of poorly worded text but it's hard to complain.

I still find it a little odd this never made it outside of Asia, but IIRC part of that was due to the issues facing Sammy's US division. It's really odd that the first game made it over here as I don't even think the anime or the manga were licensed in North America during that time, but the sequel got completely passed up despite having an established, albeit niche, audience clamoring for loving anything past the Eclipse. I think the graphics were good for its time, the cinematics are nicely done, and there are some :krad: moves Guts pulls off during boss battles that I'm sure would make Miura proud.

The counter/reversal system is a nice touch, but leveling up feels way too slow. This game also makes me really miss the original Japanese actor who played Guts, that dude knows his poo poo when it comes to sounding utterly pissed off and yelling and everything.

I'd love to try this game myself, but I've got too many to play right now and life itself is conspiring to ensure I never play any of them.

Make an LP.

junopsis
Dec 28, 2008

Kubla Khan posted:

The way the Idea of Evil is described with explicit reference to it being a product of humanity's collective subconscious is a straight-up (conscious?) throwback to Jung and his archetypes.

I'm still stuck on ..it's basically how 40K works, what with the Warp and all, and the chaos gods. I'm okay with that even if it makes me a colossal dork.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet

junopsis posted:

I'm still stuck on ..it's basically how 40K works, what with the Warp and all, and the chaos gods. I'm okay with that even if it makes me a colossal dork.
I have different take. 40k demons come from emotion. Beserk demons come from a need for reasons. Someone drowns, someone gets mauled in the woods, people are murdered by highwaymen, soldiers die on the battlefield. The Idea of Evil creates demons that stand in for unjustified death and suffering in the world. People need to believe in monsters so they can understand and sometimes overcome the senselessness of life. Berserk is very existentialist in perspective. It is best seen in Gut's dreams of a monster chasing him, when it is his guilt and fear of Gambino at first, and later himself. The beast in Guts is no more real than his dreams. The beast can materialize because there is a force in the Berserk universe to make it so but it is rooted Gut's own internal conflict.

At the same time, people need justification for the good that happens. So, there is pixie dust that heals, fairies that guide, girls that can summon magic. Instead of saying "I just survived", people say an elf helped them. Griffith's dual nature is the greatest symbol of this. He is simultaneously God and Devil, savior and damnation. All because people need a reason for their fates.

I believe this is why Guts kills demons and is able to kill them. He doesn't need a reason to survive and he doesn't need a reason to fight. He simply does. Guts doesn't believe in fate and challenges it regularly. He and Caska had identities and hopes outside of the Hawks and I think that is why they survived. As for Ricket, I haven't thought about him too much.

temple fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Sep 24, 2014

Pleiades
Aug 20, 2006
There are more spoilers for #337 here:

http://www.mcanime.net/foro/viewtopic.php?p=10664783

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

I know I shouldn't have clicked that but I did and holy gently caress :stare: is that Rickert slapping the poo poo out of Griffith :vince:

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

Awesome Welles posted:

I know I shouldn't have clicked that but I did and holy gently caress :stare: is that Rickert slapping the poo poo out of Griffith :vince:

I don't know if I'd go that far, but to a degree, yes.

"You're not the Hawk of Light, Commander." That's factually wrong on a lot levels, but basically he's going up to Griffith and going "I REMEMBER WHEN YOU USED TO WRESTLE NAKED WITH THE SPIKEY HAIRED GUY, YOU'RE NO GOD"

wanna read this chapter

mune
Sep 23, 2006
Do you guys happen to know when the next movie is going to come out? I just showed my girlfriend the Golden Age Arc and now she wants to watch more (and I'd like to watch the Black Swordsman Arc on film).

It looks like more movies are coming out but I can't find any mention of a release date.

Oh Snapalope
Aug 17, 2009
We all know what will happen next right? They get to Elfheim, do their stuff, and then take their boat to start their journey back to Midland. Then after all that a new im@s game comes out and Miura goes on hiatus again because of it. So begins the next 10 year boat ride.

Oh Snapalope fucked around with this message at 08:52 on Sep 29, 2014

Pleiades
Aug 20, 2006
Here is the RAW for 337. SPOILERS EVERYWHERE. I heard that there was a break after this, but I hope it's not true.

Pleiades fucked around with this message at 08:56 on Sep 29, 2014

Clever Spambot
Sep 16, 2009

You've lost that lovin' feeling,
Now it's gone...gone...
GONE....

Oh Snapalope posted:

We all know what will happen next right? They get to Elfheim, do their stuff, and then take their boat to start their journey back to Midland. Then after all that a new im@s game comes out and Miura goes on hiatus again because of it. So begins the next 10 year boat ride.

I'm expecting Miura to croak halfway through the second boat ride tbh.

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer

mune posted:

Do you guys happen to know when the next movie is going to come out? I just showed my girlfriend the Golden Age Arc and now she wants to watch more (and I'd like to watch the Black Swordsman Arc on film).

It looks like more movies are coming out but I can't find any mention of a release date.
It's a cliche response but the manga really is better in every way and you should try to get her to read it. Though the animated adaptions have some seriously rad music.

Maybe wait until the series ends/Miura croaks unless she's willing to wait four months per chapter like the rest of us.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Oh wow, looks like Rickert is saying "Goodbye" to Griffith at the end there. So will he leave Falconia to try to find Guts? Or try to stir rebellion from inside the city?

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Yep, he says "Sayonara."

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Pleiades posted:

I heard that there was a break after this, but I hope it's not true.

Jesus loving christ, what would he need a break for now? :negative:

I try to give benefit of the doubt when it comes to this poo poo but it's gotten so drat frustrating at this point

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

You know in your heart there is a break.

Wow. Rickert has some gigantic balls. That was some catharsis though.

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
Rickert best human :black101: Who else would have the stones to slap demi-godhand Falcon of Light with his numerous demonic followers surrounding him?

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Awesome Welles posted:

Jesus loving christ, what would he need a break for now? :negative:

I try to give benefit of the doubt when it comes to this poo poo but it's gotten so drat frustrating at this point

Those Idolmaster games don't play themselves you know.

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer
Turns out that bending over a drawing desk for 80+ hours a week for decades on end is seriously bad for your health.

Also, dude needs Idolmaster to recharge.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

Soulcleaver posted:

Turns out that bending over a drawing desk for 80+ hours a week for decades on end is seriously bad for your health.

Also, dude needs Idolmaster to recharge.
I've been reading Kingdom for my fix of ultraviolence and the notes from the author at the end of each volume seem to be a diary of his deteriorating health.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Idolmaster