Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007
Our XJ is still pissing coolant. Apparently my fiance can't get the lower radiator hose clamped onto the water pump properly, so he said to hell with it, and he'll replace it all this weekend (He got a new water pump/thermostat with the hoses)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
The only time I've ever seen something like that was an old/lovely worm-drive clamp bending and not holding consistent pressure around the whole fitting. If it's one of those drat spring clamps get that replaced already.

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007

EightBit posted:

The only time I've ever seen something like that was an old/lovely worm-drive clamp bending and not holding consistent pressure around the whole fitting. If it's one of those drat spring clamps get that replaced already.

That's not the problem. It's a spring clamp that could probably strangle Goliath. Even with the airbox out he can't get his hand in there with the clamp held open with the vice grips to get it over the ... um... thing. (Sorry, lack of word there. The thing the hose goes on on the water pump. I just woke up a little bit ago, leave me alone.)

The second he gets it nearly in place, it slips off. And then he swears at it for ten minutes and scares the neighbor kids (True story.)

He's content with letting it sit until he takes everything apart this weekend I imagine he'll probably replace it with a worm drive clamp and if it ever breaks again he'll push it off a cliff.

I know I make him sound like some sort of raging idiot but he just has very little patience with things that don't work right off the bat, and he never works on things with me around since I work days and he works nights, which means it's usually 2AM when he gets around to it on his days off.

owls or something
Jul 7, 2003

Faerunner posted:

That's not the problem. It's a spring clamp that could probably strangle Goliath. Even with the airbox out he can't get his hand in there with the clamp held open with the vice grips to get it over the ... um... thing. (Sorry, lack of word there. The thing the hose goes on on the water pump. I just woke up a little bit ago, leave me alone.)

The second he gets it nearly in place, it slips off. And then he swears at it for ten minutes and scares the neighbor kids (True story.)

He's content with letting it sit until he takes everything apart this weekend I imagine he'll probably replace it with a worm drive clamp and if it ever breaks again he'll push it off a cliff.

I know I make him sound like some sort of raging idiot but he just has very little patience with things that don't work right off the bat, and he never works on things with me around since I work days and he works nights, which means it's usually 2AM when he gets around to it on his days off.

I would think taking the air box out would only help access to the lower radiator opening. Getting at the water pump end would surely be easier from underneath?

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006

ornery owl posted:

I would think taking the air box out would only help access to the lower radiator opening. Getting at the water pump end would surely be easier from underneath?

I was thinking that he was already coming in from below. Just trying to imagine reaching down to the bottom of the water pump, past the fan, serpentine, etc. :psyduck:.

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007
I'm just reporting it as he said it. For all I know he has no idea what he's talking about and is just assigning names to things willy-nilly.

It's the lower radiator hose on the end that doesn't connect to the radiator. It has a spring clamp that pretty much refuses to get to where it needs to go, and all he had handy when he was out there was a pair of needle nose vice grips from Harbor Freight and he gave up after about 20 minutes of frustration.

He did mention he couldn't get at it from below because he can barely get his arm up there let alone do anything if he could. He's not a small guy. A lot of the times if there's something he can't do it's because his hands are too big, or his arm is too long to squeeze in somewhere, etc. Probably doesn't help that he could stand to lose quite a few pounds, either.

Buuut as I said, he works nights and doesn't want to touch it until the weekend. Where he'll probably also not want to touch it, since our anniversary is Saturday and Sunday he'll probably claim it's too hot or he's tired...

Whatever, it's his Jeep. I just drive it and occasionally give him a hand with stuff on it. And post here to get help with stuff he can't do.

Edit: I've never personally been under the Jeep (or at least looked at that particular area). Is it really that much easier to get at from below? It's easy enough to reach from above, there's just not enough room to do anything with the tools at hand.

Zeo
Oct 15, 2009

commissargribb posted:

it's like 90F and sunny here today.

Post your topless pics here. :sonia:

FYI Your Droid 2 tagged your photo with GPS data.

We're getting a record heatwave here in NJ as well. Definitely Jeeperday.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006

Zeo posted:

FYI Your Droid 2 tagged your photo with GPS data.

We're getting a record heatwave here in NJ as well. Definitely Jeeperday.

More importantly, photobucket doesn't remove those tags from the EXIF header :doh:

Dacheat
Feb 21, 2003
My KJ's waterpump gave up saturday, ended up sitting in the heat off an off-ramp on route 3 in NJ... Fixed that sonofabaitch in short order.

oh, and dear Chrysler, LOWER YOUR drat COOLANT PRICES, $20/gal is crazy.

Boomerjinks
Jan 31, 2007

DINO DAMAGE
"New" retreaded tires for my Wrangler arrive tomorrow! Upping from 29s to 31s! Cross fingers for no rubbing!

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
Let us know how it goes; I've got 31s mounted, waiting to be balanced and installed.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me
Try one of these on the spring clamp:

http://www.craftsman.com/shc/s/p_10155_12602_00947390000P

It is like magic.

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007

PBCrunch posted:

Try one of these on the spring clamp:

http://www.craftsman.com/shc/s/p_10155_12602_00947390000P

It is like magic.

I don't think he'd spend $40 on that... how's the return policy at Sears on tools? :D

Veeb0rg
Jul 24, 2001

THIS CONVERSATION IS NONPRODUCTIVE!

Faerunner posted:

I don't think he'd spend $40 on that... how's the return policy at Sears on tools? :D

you might be able to rent one at your autoparts store.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

commissargribb posted:

As requested:

Bucephalus posted:

I've got 31s mounted, waiting to be balanced and installed

Current rubber (:():

Tossed_Salad_Man
Feb 19, 2002

You Gon' Get Raped.
My Jeep is still in the body shop fixing it from the flop. I'm in a rental '11 Impala. I MISS MY GODDAMN JEEP SO BAD. I'm going to hug it and love it and if I get it back by Friday take it to a bikini carwash to try and make up.

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.

Tossed_Salad_Man posted:

My Jeep is still in the body shop fixing it from the flop. I'm in a rental '11 Impala. I MISS MY GODDAMN JEEP SO BAD. I'm going to hug it and love it and if I get it back by Friday take it to a bikini carwash to try and make up.

Put a bikini top on it and then go to a bikini carwash.

Bucephalus posted:

Current rubber (:():

I was going to say with a stock setup you can go to the store and order 225/75/15s which are slightly larger without changing anything since they are one of the three factory option tire sizes (205/215/225 If I recall).

edit: awesome YJ. That rocker panel looks like it needs some love but the blue color is sweet.

Sandbagger SA fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Jul 14, 2011

Team140
Dec 13, 2005

commissargribb posted:

It's not current (I replaced the fat A/Ts with skinny swampers), but it's the best topless shot I've got!

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

commissargribb posted:

I was going to say with a stock setup you can go to the store and order 225/75/15s which are slightly larger without changing anything since they are one of the three factory option tire sizes (205/215/225 If I recall).

It had (horribly dryrotted) 30x9.50s on it when I got it, and it's 99.9% roadgoing, so hopefully 31s will fit with, at worst, flare trimming.

commissargribb posted:

That rocker panel looks like it needs some love

It's already gotten some (WAFFLE :argh:):
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2773074&userid=148883#post386628794

Braincloud
Sep 28, 2004

I forgot...how BIG...

commissargribb posted:

Not the most recent, but my favorite.

and it's huge.

Boomerjinks
Jan 31, 2007

DINO DAMAGE
Three perfect All-Terrain T/As were dropped off by FedEx today, accompanied by this.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
Are they all the same tread, but with 1 oddball carcass?

ThinkFear
Sep 15, 2007

An older one, but it still looks the same. Topless since April.

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Might I ask where you keep your forced induction accessories?
Grimey Drawer

Bucephalus posted:

Yeah that still looks like All-Terrain tread to me.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

I have a 1999 Jeep Cherokee 4.0 4x4. The rear leafs seem to be pretty well sagged out. What is the easiest and cheapest way to bring the back up to a stock-ish height and not affect the spring rate too much?

Boomerjinks
Jan 31, 2007

DINO DAMAGE

Bucephalus posted:

Correct. :smith:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Boomerjinks posted:

Correct. :smith:

That sucks dude but it is kind of funny. Maybe you could just paint over those letters with black paint? Or put them on opposite wheels with the letters on the inside?

Philip J Fry
Apr 25, 2007

go outside and have a blast

PBCrunch posted:

I have a 1999 Jeep Cherokee 4.0 4x4. The rear leafs seem to be pretty well sagged out. What is the easiest and cheapest way to bring the back up to a stock-ish height and not affect the spring rate too much?

Find some junkyard S-10 leafs and make a bastard pack.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
Any chance of getting it replaced with an AT, or was that the closest thing they had to a matching set of carcasses? Maybe cough up the dough for a real BFG AT and use the MT for a spare?

PBCrunch posted:

S-10 bastard pack would be cheapest, lift blocks would be easiest.

Dagen H fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Jul 14, 2011

Boomerjinks
Jan 31, 2007

DINO DAMAGE

Rhyno posted:

That sucks dude but it is kind of funny. Maybe you could just paint over those letters with black paint? Or put them on opposite wheels with the letters on the inside?

Nah I'll be returning it. I specifically chose this retread place -South Dakota, FUUUUCK- because they would give me the sidewalls I wanted for the tires to be as close to accurate as possible (BFGs aren't stamped with "Radial" anymore). I was very specific with what I asked for, and they screwed up. Not a big problem, I was just really hoping to go up to Granby this weekend.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
Let us know if the situation gets resolved to your satisfaction, as I am/was a possible future customer. (Where you got those tires is no mystery. ;))

Boomerjinks
Jan 31, 2007

DINO DAMAGE
Kind of funny, you can mix and match sidewalls with tread patterns. I could conceivably get the BFG All Terrain stamping with a tread pattern that, I don't know, doesn't suck in snow? Or is better on fuel efficiency. I went with what's accurate, but I'll always wonder...

Boomerjinks fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Jul 14, 2011

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

PBCrunch posted:

If you're looking for a small lift, Old Man Emu springs and shocks are supposed to be nice and comfortable. I swapped out my sagging rear springs for some Skyjacker 2.5" lift springs--they're fine but kind of rough. I should have just gone with OME stuff all around I think. If you lift the back you'll probably want to put some spacers in the front to lift it too--and while you're at it you might as well replace front springs, shocks, etc. so it could add up to a decent amount. If you just want some stock springs I bet rockauto.com has a decent price.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

Boomerjinks posted:

Kind of funny, you can mix and match sidewalls with tread patterns. I could conceivably get the BFG All Terrain stamping with a tread pattern that, I don't know, doesn't suck in snow? Or is better on fuel efficiency. I went with what's accurate, but I'll always wonder...

Can you say where you got the tires? I'll be curious to hear how well retreads hold up. I'll probably need a new set of 31" AT tires in a year or so.

Boomerjinks
Jan 31, 2007

DINO DAMAGE
Coincidentally, last fall I was weeding in the back yard of our lovely rental house and found that there was a giant bush growing through this.

It's sized for something like a tiny trailer, but it was interesting to actually see one. I asked TreadWright if they could create their own stamping or retread tires from the correct era, but they will only retread tires that are X number of years old. Understandable, but disappointing.

edited for bold

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

mod sassinator posted:

If you're looking for a small lift, Old Man Emu springs and shocks are supposed to be nice and comfortable. I swapped out my sagging rear springs for some Skyjacker 2.5" lift springs--they're fine but kind of rough. I should have just gone with OME stuff all around I think. If you lift the back you'll probably want to put some spacers in the front to lift it too--and while you're at it you might as well replace front springs, shocks, etc. so it could add up to a decent amount. If you just want some stock springs I bet rockauto.com has a decent price.

I don't really want a lift, I just want the the Jeep to have the same wheel gap in the back as it does in the front. Right now the back is kind of sagging.

Veeb0rg
Jul 24, 2001

THIS CONVERSATION IS NONPRODUCTIVE!

PBCrunch posted:

I don't really want a lift, I just want the the Jeep to have the same wheel gap in the back as it does in the front. Right now the back is kind of sagging.

Old Man emu has stock height springs. To properly fix it you'll have to replace the rear leaf springs, anything else is just a bandaid and will likely go back to sagging within a year or so.

Maybe poke around on local jeep msg boards and see if anyone has a decent set off their rig, Possibly look for a set of "up-country" package springs, they're a heavier duty spring.

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007
HOPEFULLY the last Jeep update for a while - He came in this morning covered in grease with a big smile on his face.

"I feel a lot better... by the way I'm on my way to Advance. I just smashed that loving clamp with a hammer, going to go pick up some screw drive ones."

So he got back, replaced it with a screw drive clamp, and took it for a 2 mile test drive without any leaks. I guess I'll be driving it to work this afternoon, wish me luck!

Edit: Not sure if this is more humorous in the Jeep thread or the Saab thread, but he was trying to get it to warm up quicker, so he revved the engine a bit while parked next to our 9-3, and WEEEOOWEEOOWEEOOWEEOO... Set off the alarm.

Faerunner fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Jul 14, 2011

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Just ordered 2" spacers and a cold air intake. i love working on jeeps :) Now if i could only find some decent tires near here (fairbanks, ak) for cheap... :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

owls or something
Jul 7, 2003

Replaced the exhaust manifold today on the Cherokee with a Dorman. Everything went fairly smoothly I guess, but those bottom bolts under the intake were a real pain. Took me about 6 hours total and 9 or 10 beers. Not bad for a first time. The ticking is gone and it is pretty great. My idle smoothed out too.

I wanted to take more step by step pictures to post, but gently caress that. I only took 2.