Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Bucephalus posted:

On a scale of "why haven't you bought it yet" to "run away screaming", where does this rank?

2003 isn't on here, but you get the idea

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
Fair enough. Thanks, guys.

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol
So the last few days Audi sent me to training for the new 2015 A3 and I got some hands-on time with the car.

Anybody here got any questions about the new model, I may be able to divulge some information that is yet to be published.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
Yeah, when are they coming out with the hatchback :v:

Alternately, is there anything that stood out to you as a reason for a current Audi (hatchback) owner to upgrade?

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol

Snowdens Secret posted:

Alternately, is there anything that stood out to you as a reason for a current Audi (hatchback) owner to upgrade?

Unfortunately, I was told that the 5 door is only going to be available as a hybrid in the USA, and its supposedly coming out in the fall.

If the MMI/infotainment system is important to you, the A3 now has a better technology package than even the A8.

Other than that, the new engine has some modifications such as the exhaust manifold being cast into the cylinder head, the exhaust camshaft having adjustable timing, and a different water pump setup that allows coolant flow to be directed to nearly any specific component.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh
I'm approaching 5000 miles on the factory fill of oil on my 2014 JSW TDI. Sticker says 1st change at 10,000, but boy I'd feel better getting the original oil out of there. Any thoughts? I'd do the next one at ODO:10,000 and then go into the 10,000 mile change schedule.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Snowdens Secret posted:

A hatchback A3 would cut into R sales :) Personally I think the R is a better looking car than the A3 hatch anyway. How's the Haldex?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

trouser chili posted:

I'm approaching 5000 miles on the factory fill of oil on my 2014 JSW TDI. Sticker says 1st change at 10,000, but boy I'd feel better getting the original oil out of there. Any thoughts? I'd do the next one at ODO:10,000 and then go into the 10,000 mile change schedule.

Keep going! It's synthetic so there's no real reason to change at 5k.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

trouser chili posted:

I went to 10k on my original oil in my R. Felt a little odd but hey, VW says to do it that way and it is synthetic so why not!

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol

veedubfreak posted:

A hatchback A3 would cut into R sales :) Personally I think the R is a better looking car than the A3 hatch anyway. How's the Haldex?

There is a new Haldex system (5th generation) in the 2015 A3. I don't know a whole lot about what's different other than the fluid interval is now 3 years regardless of mileage and there's no longer a Haldex oil filter, the new unit is also apparently 3.7lb lighter than the old unit.

Some more information:

--Available driveline options--
ALL AVAILABLE WITH DSG ONLY, NO MANUAL TRANS.
New 1.8T FWD only
New 2.0T AWD
2.0 TDI FWD only
Hatchback/5-door (coming later) Plug-in Hybrid only FWD.
S3 will be coming with the 2.0T with a bigger turbo.

The new 1.8T and 2.0T FINALLY have completely different ignition coils, and they are bolted to the cylinder head! Hopefully this means the VW/Audi ignition coil problems are finally fixed. Another big change to the 2.0T and 1.8T is that the turbochargers now have replaceable wastegates, and they are electronically controlled rather than vacuum operated.

TDI is available only with torsion beam rear suspension as they now use adblue and apparently the engineers couldn't figure out how to make the adblue tank fit while keeping 4-link suspension.

Dynamic suspension is Standard. Sport suspension is optional, with more agressive dampening and 0.59" lower rideheight. S-line suspension also optional, even more agressive than Sport, and 0.98" lower than Standard. S3 will be available with magnetic ride system.

The 2015 A3 will be the first Audi available with 4G LTE internet through AT&T.

TL;DR: The new A3 actually has a lot of changes

Brain Issues fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Feb 11, 2014

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh
Ok, I'll go the 10k. Feels weird, never done more than 5k on any of my vehicles.

Another subject, I like gauges. I especially like oil pressure, vac/boost and EGT gauges. Aside from being pricy, any opinions on this?

http://www.p3cars.com/vw-golf-gti-rabbit/vw-mk6-vent-integrated-digital-interface/

Mister Duck
Oct 10, 2006
Fuck the goose

trouser chili posted:

Ok, I'll go the 10k. Feels weird, never done more than 5k on any of my vehicles.

Another subject, I like gauges. I especially like oil pressure, vac/boost and EGT gauges. Aside from being pricy, any opinions on this?

http://www.p3cars.com/vw-golf-gti-rabbit/vw-mk6-vent-integrated-digital-interface/

I've had it for my MkV GTI for about 3 years. I love it, really easy to install and get working since it reads it all from the ECU and I think it looks nice. The code reading and clearing function is useful if I don't want to get my VCDS cable out. I had it flake out once though, but that was after the car had been sitting for about a month in the summer heat. It fixed itself within a day, so it may have just been an odd occurrence.

EDIT: I forgot, it does 0-60 times as well, which is fun.

Styles Bitchley
Nov 13, 2004

FOR THE WIN FOR THE WIN FOR THE WIN

trouser chili posted:

Your call, i'm in the same boat and i'm sure it will be fine but have a hard time going that long on the FIRST 10k miles. Dealer said I can cash in my free oil change early if I want. I'm just going to check consumption and see where I am around 7k or so.

trouser chili posted:

I love how simple and integrated they look. I like gauges too and as a half measure I sometimes run DashCommand app in a proclips vent mount with ODB bluetooth and enjoy the price and versatility. The P3 unit looks awesome though, only things i'd wonder about is glare(which sucks with my iphone setup), and my left arm blocking the view.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Brain Issues posted:

There is a new Haldex system (5th generation) in the 2015 A3. I don't know a whole lot about what's different other than the fluid interval is now 3 years regardless of mileage and there's no longer a Haldex oil filter, the new unit is also apparently 3.7lb lighter than the old unit.

Some more information:

--Available driveline options--
ALL AVAILABLE WITH DSG ONLY, NO MANUAL TRANS.
New 1.8T FWD only
New 2.0T AWD
2.0 TDI FWD only
Hatchback/5-door (coming later) Plug-in Hybrid only FWD.
S3 will be coming with the 2.0T with a bigger turbo.

The new 1.8T and 2.0T FINALLY have completely different ignition coils, and they are bolted to the cylinder head! Hopefully this means the VW/Audi ignition coil problems are finally fixed. Another big change to the 2.0T and 1.8T is that the turbochargers now have replaceable wastegates, and they are electronically controlled rather than vacuum operated.

TDI is available only with torsion beam rear suspension as they now use adblue and apparently the engineers couldn't figure out how to make the adblue tank fit while keeping 4-link suspension.

Dynamic suspension is Standard. Sport suspension is optional, with more agressive dampening and 0.59" lower rideheight. S-line suspension also optional, even more agressive than Sport, and 0.98" lower than Standard. S3 will be available with magnetic ride system.

The 2015 A3 will be the first Audi available with 4G LTE internet through AT&T.

TL;DR: The new A3 actually has a lot of changes

Cool, I ask because the 15 R is basically going to have all the same drivetrain as the A3 :) It gets the new Haldex and all the suspension/ecu control.

Blakkout
Aug 24, 2006

No thought was put into this.

actionjackson posted:

2003 isn't on here, but you get the idea

I assume the red end of the Harvey Ball spectrum is the "good" end?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Harveyballs_red_black_modification.PNG

Blakkout fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Feb 11, 2014

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002
The US Audis had like A3 S-line. This isn't the same thing as a real S3 right? Will there be a real S3 in the US?

Also if it ain't got a hatchback I don't want none of that.

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol

JHVH-1 posted:

The US Audis had like A3 S-line. This isn't the same thing as a real S3 right? Will there be a real S3 in the US?

Also if it ain't got a hatchback I don't want none of that.

Yeah. There's S-line and S3. Sedan only. Hatchback A3 will be plugin hybrid only in the US.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Thanks for the info, Brain Issues.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Mister Duck posted:

I've had it for my MkV GTI for about 3 years. I love it, really easy to install and get working since it reads it all from the ECU and I think it looks nice. The code reading and clearing function is useful if I don't want to get my VCDS cable out. I had it flake out once though, but that was after the car had been sitting for about a month in the summer heat. It fixed itself within a day, so it may have just been an odd occurrence.

EDIT: I forgot, it does 0-60 times as well, which is fun.

How difficult is it to install? Does the old vent just pop off?

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

Brain Issues posted:

Yeah. There's S-line and S3. Sedan only. Hatchback A3 will be plugin hybrid only in the US.

Death to America

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

Shifty Pony posted:

How difficult is it to install? Does the old vent just pop off?

My understanding is that you just pry out the old vent and pop this one in (if you buy it complete with vent, you can also modify your existing vent if you like). Then run the wire down to the OBD II port. There is maybe another dimmer wire involved as well I think.

Mister Duck
Oct 10, 2006
Fuck the goose

trouser chili posted:

My understanding is that you just pry out the old vent and pop this one in (if you buy it complete with vent, you can also modify your existing vent if you like). Then run the wire down to the OBD II port. There is maybe another dimmer wire involved as well I think.

Yeah it's basically that easy. On the model I have there is a control module that I slotted on top of the fuse box, then I ran the OBD cable out of the footwell trim on the left side and right into the port. Barely a couple inches of wire coming out so it's fairly tidy. When I installed a regular boost gauge it took me hours (although I am also not very good with mechanical things), this took me about 10 minutes.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

JHVH-1 posted:

Death to America

Your S3 hatcback is a Golf R. MK6 Golf R was an Audi TT S with a Golf body sitting on top, the MK7 Golf R is an S3 with Golf bits bolted onto the MQB platform with S3 guts.

I'm not trying to defend the practice, but while VW America has it's head up it's own rear end at least there is a fast hatch with a 6 speed available still.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

KakerMix posted:

Your S3 hatcback is a Golf R. MK6 Golf R was an Audi TT S with a Golf body sitting on top, the MK7 Golf R is an S3 with Golf bits bolted onto the MQB platform with S3 guts.

I'm not trying to defend the practice, but while VW America has it's head up it's own rear end at least there is a fast hatch with a 6 speed available still.

I'll just keep my 2012 GTI for the time being. Still under warranty and I haven't yet gotten the ECU flashed so theres more power left.

EDIT: This is what I wish would be in the US, but in blue
http://jalopnik.com/the-2015-audi-s1-quattro-is-a-furious-yellow-ball-of-fu-1520822155

JHVH-1 fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Feb 12, 2014

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
It at least used to be the case that the Golf R had more or less the regular GTI interior while the Audi interiors were noticeably nicer and 'classier'. Golf R external styling is also a bit too boy-racer for me.

I don't care about the 6-speed, it's the DSG that pulled me to VAG, if I can't get the premium interior with the hatch I might as well see what how the MazdaSpeed 3 shapes up.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Mister Duck posted:

Yeah it's basically that easy. On the model I have there is a control module that I slotted on top of the fuse box, then I ran the OBD cable out of the footwell trim on the left side and right into the port. Barely a couple inches of wire coming out so it's fairly tidy. When I installed a regular boost gauge it took me hours (although I am also not very good with mechanical things), this took me about 10 minutes.

Well I had been considering replacing my scangauge with a more permanent option. I just need to double check with them that the 2010 TDI works fine and we should be golden.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Snowdens Secret posted:

It at least used to be the case that the Golf R had more or less the regular GTI interior while the Audi interiors were noticeably nicer and 'classier'. Golf R external styling is also a bit too boy-racer for me.

I don't care about the 6-speed, it's the DSG that pulled me to VAG, if I can't get the premium interior with the hatch I might as well see what how the MazdaSpeed 3 shapes up.

Maybe Mazda can pull out a winner with the new speed3 but man, the current speed3's interior trimmings are far below the R or even the GTI, especially if "boy ricer" is a thing you don't like. The interior is the most 'loud' to me out of the 2013s I tested, which included the Focus ST, Golf R, GTI, Speed3 and Abarth. Look at that dot pattern :v:

I'm of course biased because I'm on 'Team R' but I guess I don't understand the comparison between a 'premium' grown-up boy ricer like the R vs. the obvious and harder edged Speed3, especially if interiors are important along with the DSG. But hey, The Speed3 is certainly a bargain as far as performance goes and I think that the current one looks quite awesome if a bit ostentatious, but the Focus ST seems to have taken all it's potential customers if only because it's a newer design. That and are we even sure there is going to be a Speed3 with the new designs from Mazda? We test drove a new Mazda 3 (which is now a boring lump compared to the goofy smile) and the salesperson said there was nothing on a new Speed3. That, and she kept talking about how their biggest competition was Toyota which doesn't really bode well for the sort of customers my wife and I are.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

KakerMix posted:

Maybe Mazda can pull out a winner with the new speed3 but man, the current speed3's interior trimmings are far below the R or even the GTI, especially if "boy ricer" is a thing you don't like. The interior is the most 'loud' to me out of the 2013s I tested, which included the Focus ST, Golf R, GTI, Speed3 and Abarth. Look at that dot pattern :v:

I'm of course biased because I'm on 'Team R' but I guess I don't understand the comparison between a 'premium' grown-up boy ricer like the R vs. the obvious and harder edged Speed3, especially if interiors are important along with the DSG. But hey, The Speed3 is certainly a bargain as far as performance goes and I think that the current one looks quite awesome if a bit ostentatious, but the Focus ST seems to have taken all it's potential customers if only because it's a newer design. That and are we even sure there is going to be a Speed3 with the new designs from Mazda? We test drove a new Mazda 3 (which is now a boring lump compared to the goofy smile) and the salesperson said there was nothing on a new Speed3. That, and she kept talking about how their biggest competition was Toyota which doesn't really bode well for the sort of customers my wife and I are.

No, I agree the current MS3 looks silly inside and out. I want a quick car but I don't want it to shout I'M QUICK so loudly, which is why the A3 worked for me. The 2014 Mazda3's seem to look a lot better, the top-end interior certainly looks nice in pics, and people keep saying the auto is as good as a DSG. I know the auto is sacrilege but I'm using it for commuting etc and when I feel a real need for speed I'm taking the motorcycle anyway. I can't really explain why I'm not into the Focus's looks but for some reason I'm just not, and I'm not touching a Fiat. I wouldn't trust the salesperson trying to sell you a car today, I'm sure Mazda will put out another MS3, it's just a question of how garish they style it.

The regular 2014 GTI is nice and finally seems to have mostly caught up in features with my '07 A3, kinda wish it came in more colors than 'black on black' and 'white on black' though.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

KakerMix posted:

With MQB, the difference isn't so clear. The components apart from outer body and interiors (dashboard, seats et al) are pretty much the same. Same engines, same control devices, same drivetrains, same axles, same suspension, and so on. Same applies for the respective Seat and Skoda models.

The only differences between Audi and VW cars here are the entertainment system (or rather the display part of it), the AWD diff (Quattro/Torsen vs. 4Motion/Haldex) and adjustable suspension (magnetic ride vs. dynamic chassis control). The Mk7 Golf R uses the 4Motion system, that makes it already not an S3 by your definition. --edit: Looking it up, the A3/S3 also use Haldex, only the higher models use the Torsen diff. So your S3 is a Golf and vice versa in terms of complete drivetrain.

Snowdens Secret posted:

Unless you're in for a car with high torque engine, you do want 6-speed. The 7-speed low torque DSG is plagued with issues for years now. It's a dry-clutch model. The mechatronics fail frequently, clutch plate vibrations mid-wear, and the clutches wearing out in no time (there's plenty of people complaining about them being gone at around 30000km).

There's a 7-speed wet clutch model for high torque cars, but it's only used in the Tiguan right now (IIRC).

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 12:25 on Feb 12, 2014

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
I didn't think the US got any of the dry clutch dsg models.

Also, have you actual sat in an R? The interior is upgraded from the GTI. Up until now, the R was leather only. Which is kind of one of the reasons I didn't like the current R. That, and it wasn't enough of an upgrade from a GTI in terms of power to justify the price. The new R is going to have shittons of options because it's no longer a special edition car and is actually optionable. Read up on some of the stuff the new R gets, it is going to be an awesome car.

LoopyJuice
Jul 5, 2007
I've put a deposit down (so the car can be moved to a closer dealer) on a 2011 S3 s-tronic black edition with 30k miles.

Going to look at it this week - anyone got any specific things to check out? It was about £3200 cheaper than an almost identical car that was 8 months newer same options/milage and had me a little suspiscious but it's an Audi used approved one and I managed to get the full service history etc:

Bought, 16k miles oil change + service, 27k miles oil change + service, 30k sold to dealership, MOT'd and switched to fixed interval servicing instead of long life servicing.

Nothing dubious in there apart from the scarily long oil change intervals that audi have on the long-life schedule.

This is in the UK btw if you hadn't guessed by my usage of blighty units.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

I've been having problems with my driver door latching mechanism getting stuck when it gets cold(<10). The door opens ok, but when I close the door it doesn't flip down to hold it closed. I can remedy this by warming it with a hairdryer, letting it sit for a bit, or driving while holding it closed until it warms up some. Is there some sort of lube or something I can get to put on it to help it?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
What model/year of car? I thought some VWs had heated locks if you pull up on the door handles for a few seconds, but maybe I'm thinking of BMWs.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

BraveUlysses posted:

What model/year of car? I thought some VWs had heated locks if you pull up on the door handles for a few seconds, but maybe I'm thinking of BMWs.

Gah sorry
2012/Jetta TDI

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Snowdens Secret posted:

No, I agree the current MS3 looks silly inside and out. I want a quick car but I don't want it to shout I'M QUICK so loudly, which is why the A3 worked for me. The 2014 Mazda3's seem to look a lot better, the top-end interior certainly looks nice in pics, and people keep saying the auto is as good as a DSG. I know the auto is sacrilege but I'm using it for commuting etc and when I feel a real need for speed I'm taking the motorcycle anyway. I can't really explain why I'm not into the Focus's looks but for some reason I'm just not, and I'm not touching a Fiat. I wouldn't trust the salesperson trying to sell you a car today, I'm sure Mazda will put out another MS3, it's just a question of how garish they style it.

The regular 2014 GTI is nice and finally seems to have mostly caught up in features with my '07 A3, kinda wish it came in more colors than 'black on black' and 'white on black' though.

It's crazy that the 2nd gen MS3's interior was such a poo poo heap. The first gen GT's interior, while a little dated now, was miles better. I'm sure they were trying to go with more of the boy racer crowd since the 1st gen was a lot more understated. I think that may have turned off some people who wanted people to know what they were driving vs. more of the sleeper factor.

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004
Is there any way to find out what size rotors my rear brakes have? 2011 Golf TDI. Apparently they come in two sizes, 272mm and 260mm. I didn't see any markings on the caliper itself but it has Bosch pads (I guess the difference is Lucas or Bosch for rotor sizes). I know I could just pull a wheel off and measure the rotor but that isn't easily done right now.

I looked at Rockauto and they have pictures of reman Lucas and Bosch calipers and my car appears to match the Bosch system but I'd like to know for sure before I start ordering parts!

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
I tried looking on a few vw part sites and NONE of them will give part numbers. cunts.

but when i looked for '12 models they only showed one brake rotor available.

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004
Thanks for looking. I think I'll just get some at autozone so I can easily return them if they're wrong, then I'll know for next time too. Or maybe I'll just play in the snow and take a wheel off.

siliciferous
Sep 29, 2003

One cannot fight that which has no basis in reality.
Front: 1K0615301T
http://www.parts4vws.com/catalog/product_detail.asp?PartNumber=1K0615301T-OEM
http://www.ecstuning.com/Volkswagen-Golf_VI--TDI/Braking/Rotors/ES258856/

Rear: 1K0698601AA (?)
http://www.hstuning.com/product_info.php?cPath=7_14&products_id=4183&vpath=33_303
http://www.ecstuning.com/Volkswagen-Golf_VI--TDI/Braking/Rotors/ES2158056/

OEM pads:
http://www.ecstuning.com/Volkswagen-Golf_VI--TDI/Braking/Pads/Front/OE/ES343467/
http://www.ecstuning.com/Volkswagen-Golf_VI--TDI/Braking/Pads/Rear/OE/ES2606669/

:shobon:

Edit: Forgot rear pads.

siliciferous fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Feb 14, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

Thanks! The confusion was which size the rear rotors are since most sites I was looking at (neither of those) showed both rear sizes. I just confirmed that they are indeed Bosch and with a length of wire (the most accurate method), I measured 11in which is just over 272mm so that's what I'll go with!