Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tomguycot
Jan 11, 2001
Forum Veteran
For what it's worth, I've owned both an Evo 4g and 3d and I really have not noticed any differences in reception between them. I get pretty average to low signal at my house and that has been the case with both phones. Both of which are quite useable. The only documented reception issue I've seen for the 3d is concerning 4g reception. Annandtech noted that the 3d, in comparison to the photon, was more likely to lose its 4g signal BUT the 3d had faster download speeds to somewhat balance that out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Blakkout posted:

While we're somewhat on-topic, would you recommend the TP2 over, say, the Replenish or Rumor Touch as the best phone for the $30/mo. plan? Right now I'm still using a TP1, which was poo poo BEFORE my screen started being moody. I'm looking for something else to get me through the next year or so, until I jump on this iPhone bandwagon. I'm not too heavy on browsing the web, but I'd like to be able to look up directions and check Facebook and such on the phone. This low-level web browsing capability and cost are my two main concerns.

I've been reading that the Replenish isn't being allowed on the $30 plans. I'd like to have some official word on it either way.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Duckman2008 posted:

See what you can get off insurance (hopefully not a TP2), but honestly your best bet is probably a used Evo. Buying a phone from Sprint is only worth it when you have a 2 year upgrade, the $75 upgrade is a joke and is about to be discontinued anyway (no one will miss it). Evos run $200 on craigslist used, just always check the ESN.

Paying $100 for a TP2 is not a good move, fyi, phone just isn't worth that much anymore. This is a guess, but most people who still are suffering with a TP2 are on $30 SERO. IF that is the case, just fyi its $40 for a 3G smartphone a month, $50 for a 4G smartphone like the Evo. I'd still recommend the Evo, although the Optimus S is probably dirt cheap used ($75-100 tops). If you are not on SERO, disregard this part and just get the Evo.

I am on the Sero $30 plan. My worry, though I'm not even sure if it's true or not is that if I jump to one of the phones newer than the TP2 (buying a used phone), which have the $10 premium (I'm not so worried about that) will it renew my contract and then I lose the 2 year upgrade in a couple months?

When I checked the replacement back when the screen originally cracked, it was still a TP2 (I'm sure a refurb), but this was a couple months ago. I'm going to check again now to see what they might offer. I agree that paying $100 for a refurb TP2 is an awful deal, so I'm not really leaning toward that right now.

Edit: They still want $100 to replace it with a refurb TP2. Why the gently caress am I paying $8 a month to pay $100 for a phone that is over 2 years old. That's insane. It's $100 to replace their brand new 4G phones, which I understand, but a phone that's been out for over 2 years?

Double Edit: I just got back from my local sprint store and the guy there also agreed that $100 is a lot to pay for a refurb and he said getting the screen repaired at a service shop would cost just as much. He said that he would just look for a used phone to use for a couple of months. I was happy to hear that if I did buy a used newer phone that I'd just have to pay that extra $10/mo and that it wouldn't mess up my upgrade so I'm at least not relegated to really old phones.

rockcity fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Sep 26, 2011

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

Lovie Unsmith posted:

I've been reading that the Replenish isn't being allowed on the $30 plans. I'd like to have some official word on it either way.

All android phones are iconic devices, which means they require Sero Premium.
Sero Premium plans are exempt from the Premium Data fee for 3g phones.
The Replenish is also exempt from the Premium Data fee.

A Replenish on Sero Premium exempts you from one fee for redundant reasons; you won't get a second discount off the base rate.

(In other words, no reason to get a replenish on sero, when the arrive, optimus, echo, and xprt are better phones for the same $/mo.)

rockcity posted:

Why the gently caress am I paying $8 a month to pay $100 for a phone that is over 2 years old. That's insane.
I agree.

I dunno about pricing on the other phones, but a used optimus is well under $100 these days (maybe under 60 if you get lucky), and yeah, you can activate used phones all day without signing a contract or touching your upgrade.

WoG fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Sep 26, 2011

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

WoG posted:

I agree.

I dunno about pricing on the other phones, but a used optimus is well under $100 these days (maybe under 60 if you get lucky), and yeah, you can activate used phones all day without signing a contract or touching your upgrade.

The Optimus is what I'm leaning toward right now. I figure if I can find one for a reasonable price, I should be able to sell it for close to what I paid for it when I get my full upgrade on February 1st, the only thing I'd have to bit on is the extra $10/mo a little early. It'd still be a better phone than my TP2 though, so I can't complain too much.

OldPueblo
May 2, 2007

Likes to argue. Wins arguments with ignorant people. Not usually against educated people, just ignorant posters. Bing it.

rockcity posted:

I am on the Sero $30 plan. My worry, though I'm not even sure if it's true or not is that if I jump to one of the phones newer than the TP2 (buying a used phone), which have the $10 premium (I'm not so worried about that) will it renew my contract and then I lose the 2 year upgrade in a couple months?

When I checked the replacement back when the screen originally cracked, it was still a TP2 (I'm sure a refurb), but this was a couple months ago. I'm going to check again now to see what they might offer. I agree that paying $100 for a refurb TP2 is an awful deal, so I'm not really leaning toward that right now.

Edit: They still want $100 to replace it with a refurb TP2. Why the gently caress am I paying $8 a month to pay $100 for a phone that is over 2 years old. That's insane. It's $100 to replace their brand new 4G phones, which I understand, but a phone that's been out for over 2 years?

Double Edit: I just got back from my local sprint store and the guy there also agreed that $100 is a lot to pay for a refurb and he said getting the screen repaired at a service shop would cost just as much. He said that he would just look for a used phone to use for a couple of months. I was happy to hear that if I did buy a used newer phone that I'd just have to pay that extra $10/mo and that it wouldn't mess up my upgrade so I'm at least not relegated to really old phones.

I know someone here has an old TP2 sitting in a drawer, won't you help this goon out? :( I'd give you my Verizon one but of course you can't use it.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

OldPueblo posted:

I know someone here has an old TP2 sitting in a drawer, won't you help this goon out? :( I'd give you my Verizon one but of course you can't use it.

What do they want for it? A friend of mine says she has an old sprint phone I could buy from her too, but I don't know what one yet.

Mark Larson
Dec 27, 2003

Interesting...
I'm looking to get rid of a rooted EVO :) I just haven't bothered with putting it up on craigslist or SA Mart because I like having it around for random internetting around the house.

thisdude23
Jul 10, 2001

So take me back, back to better days
Cause this time between is wasting me away
Got a Hero rooted that I'll let go for $40+ shipping. PM to let me know.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
Just read MIUI is working for the 3D. I will flash my wife's phone this weekend.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
Started working at sprint again. Fyi I was wrong on the capping of tethering plans, it does include all mobile broadband cards getting capped. Yeah absolutely retarded.

Sprint has a disclaimer saying new plans in November, so basically the plans are in limbo until then.

Shed
Apr 13, 2005

You stupid bitch.
Uuuuuugghhhhh why can't they just tell us if we're getting the iPhone or not by now! I am getting so sick of people calling and emailing about it. Wish people realized that we are generally the last ones to hear about it.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Sprint confirms it will stick with unlimited data plans ?

Natural Laxative
Aug 20, 2004

rockcity posted:

What do they want for it? A friend of mine says she has an old sprint phone I could buy from her too, but I don't know what one yet.

I might actually have one tucked away somewhere at home, I'll check after work and get back to you.

letsgoflyers81
Aug 7, 2003

C IS FOR COOKIE!

Yeah that's a direct contradiction to what's being, unless he just forgot to specify they're keeping unlimited for handset use only.

averox
Feb 28, 2005

:dukedog:
Fun Shoe
I guess the Sprint promotional newsletter didn't get the memo about Premier :crossarms:

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
I hope this is ok, but a friendly Goon directed me towards this thread and said someone here might be able to help. I am looking to buy a used Sprint 4G phone (Sprint stores in my area wont sell them new). I have a thread in SA-Mart http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3439742 if anyone is interested? I will remove the link if anyone objects!

Ryokurin
Jul 14, 2001

Wanna Die?
http://news.cnet.com/8301-1035_3-20112095-94/sprint-to-launch-own-4g-lte-network-in-early-2012-scoop/ Sprint is going LTE, and this time they aren't dependent on Clearwire getting it's act together.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

If I wanted to jump from my 3d to a new, theoretically magical nonexistent iphone 5 while I'm still under contract, what kind of hoops would I have to jump through? I miss my apps...

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

We don't know yet as we don't know what plans this supposed iPhone will be allowed on.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

I realize this isn't the ROMZ thread, but more relevant people might be watching this one, so: has anyone had a good experience running alternate roms on the Optimus? I see that this guy has a pretty up-to-date port of Cyanogen, and it'd be nice to get rid of some of the Bloatware and Sprint's dumb "ID" thing stealing my browser button1. Any field reports would be appreciated.

Also, I like that they're going with LTE, at least from a tech point of view.

1 Yes, I'm aware alternate launchers let you rearrange what's on those buttons. No, I don't want to use one of them ;)

Lutha Mahtin fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Sep 27, 2011

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

Lutha Mahtin posted:

I realize this isn't the ROMZ thread, but more relevant people might be watching this thread, so: has anyone had a good experience running alternate roms on the Optimus? I see that this guy has a pretty up-to-date port of Cyanogen, and it'd be nice to get rid of some of the Bloatware and get rid of Sprint's dumb "ID" thing stealing my browser button1. Any field reports would be appreciated.

Also, I like that they're going with LTE, at least from a tech point of view.

1 Yes, I'm aware alternate launchers let you do this. No, I don't want to use one of them ;)
They're in a bit of a transitional state right now, since the official gingerbread update (aka zvh) just dropped recently. What roms you can run depends on what stock version you're running now, zvd(or earlier) vs zvh. Reborn is the most stable, well-developed 2.2 rom based on zvd. OCable, all hardware functional, nice addons, etc. (This is what I'm still running now.) CM7 ports based on zvd were always a little flakier (bluetooth/headphones/etc), but good enough to use for a daily driver, even as of months ago (the scott pilgrim rom era), and presumably improved a bit since then.

For zvh, the only rom available right now is grom, which is certainly a huge improvement over stock, but it's still based on stock (not cm7/vanilla), and for now, also only works on the stock kernel. Before long, we'll probably see an updated version of reborn based on zvh and a cm7 port compatible with the zvh baseband, but we have to bear in mind that as the phone nears a year old, developer support is drifting away.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Ryokurin posted:

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1035_3-20112095-94/sprint-to-launch-own-4g-lte-network-in-early-2012-scoop/ Sprint is going LTE, and this time they aren't dependent on Clearwire getting it's act together.

Now is this going to be built on the old iDEN spectrum or that crummy 2500 band?

lazydog
Apr 15, 2003

Godzilla07 posted:

Now is this going to be built on the old iDEN spectrum or that crummy 2500 band?

The Cnet article is saying they will start with their G-block spectrum, which from what I've read is 1900Mhz, So, maybe not quite as bad as 2500? And then eventually once iDEN is shut down, maybe that band as well.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

lazydog posted:

The Cnet article is saying they will start with their G-block spectrum, which from what I've read is 1900Mhz, So, maybe not quite as bad as 2500? And then eventually once iDEN is shut down, maybe that band as well.

If they use 1900Mhz, won't phones that are able to use that theoretically be able to use LTE?

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Lutha Mahtin posted:

I realize this isn't the ROMZ thread, but more relevant people might be watching this one, so: has anyone had a good experience running alternate roms on the Optimus?

Reborn is extremely good, probably the most stable custom rom i've ever run on anything. CM7 works very well with a couple little caveats. I have no idea how people tolerate stock roms on low end phones. The optimus is better than most but still garbage compared to what 20 minutes of work and a 30 meg download can get you.

torb main
Jul 28, 2004

SELL SELL SELL
Guys I would be careful as to how much stock you put into that cnet article, wait until Oct 7th when that strategy update happens until assuming anything to be true

torb main fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Sep 28, 2011

Aphal
Sep 14, 2004

I'm just a clown in the eyes of the world :(

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

Reborn is extremely good, probably the most stable custom rom i've ever run on anything. CM7 works very well with a couple little caveats. I have no idea how people tolerate stock roms on low end phones. The optimus is better than most but still garbage compared to what 20 minutes of work and a 30 meg download can get you.

Care to elaborate? What exactly can that get you? I'm not a ROMZ person.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Aphal posted:

Care to elaborate? What exactly can that get you? I'm not a ROMZ person.

With Android, usually what happens is that a phone manufacturer takes the Google code and screws it up real good, after which they start talking with wireless carriers who demand all kinds of bullshit be added to the software (and restrictions put in place). So by the time an end-user is actually using the phone, who knows what kind of corporate politics, bad QA, and "brand strategy" has resulted in (probably really terrible) modifications being slapped on the stock Android code.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

ThermoPhysical posted:

If they use 1900Mhz, won't phones that are able to use that theoretically be able to use LTE?

No.

Mina
Dec 14, 2005

HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK
Replacement Evo 3D arrived! Camera works flawlessly.

...HBOOT 1.50.0000. gently caress. Official unlock method it is :(

A Subtle Dagger
Oct 22, 2005

I wish
If I have 2 phones on an individual plan, am I able to convert the plan into a Family Plan? Reason being, I bought an Evo 3D back in July and only needed the individual plan at the time but they gave me 2 extra lines with my account. My girlfriend has poo poo credit, so I opened up one of my extra lines and she got also got an Evo 3D. The cost for the plan is now about $200 for both of our phones, but the family plan price is $130. I tried doing it online, but my only option is to upgrade my current plan for more minutes.

Is this possible? Or am I going to have to wait til my contract is up in 2 years?

fuzzi
Oct 14, 2002

Krittick posted:

Replacement Evo 3D arrived! Camera works flawlessly.

...HBOOT 1.50.0000. gently caress. Official unlock method it is :(

I did the official unlock and have had no issues. If you flash a ROM that includes a custom kernel, you have to flash that part of it through fastboot but its not difficult.

With these upgrades to the 4g band... how is that going to affect the Evo 3d?

bobula
Jul 3, 2007
a guy hello

A Subtle Dagger posted:

If I have 2 phones on an individual plan, am I able to convert the plan into a Family Plan? Reason being, I bought an Evo 3D back in July and only needed the individual plan at the time but they gave me 2 extra lines with my account. My girlfriend has poo poo credit, so I opened up one of my extra lines and she got also got an Evo 3D. The cost for the plan is now about $200 for both of our phones, but the family plan price is $130. I tried doing it online, but my only option is to upgrade my current plan for more minutes.

Is this possible? Or am I going to have to wait til my contract is up in 2 years?

As far as I know you can change it any time. I changed my plan into a family one and then back to individual after a few months. I haven't seen it around lately, but Sprint used to have something on their site about a "right plan promise" where you could change your plan anytime you liked.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

fuzzi posted:

With these upgrades to the 4g band... how is that going to affect the Evo 3d?

If you're talking about Sprint lighting up their own LTE, then the only effect the EVO 3D will see is WiMax probably not expanding anymore. The EVO won't be able to use the LTE network. WiMax will probably be shut off entirely in 5-6 years if not a little sooner, depending on how quickly they build out their LTE coverage.

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

I was looking at swapping out my original Evo for a GSII until I found out that Sprint upped the ante on 4.3" GSII and made their stupid version 4.5" large. As it is, the Evo is a little too big for my hand and I think a 4.0" phone like the Nexus S would be just perfect. Instead these things are slowly turning into miniature tablets because bigger must always be better.

Are there any badass smartphones on the horizon that aren't entire windowpanes? Would the Nexus S be a suitable replacement, or is it too similar to my current phone that it wouldn't really be an upgrade in any sense?

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

SpelledBackwards posted:

I was looking at swapping out my original Evo for a GSII until I found out that Sprint upped the ante on 4.3" GSII and made their stupid version 4.5" large. As it is, the Evo is a little too big for my hand and I think a 4.0" phone like the Nexus S would be just perfect. Instead these things are slowly turning into miniature tablets because bigger must always be better.

Are there any badass smartphones on the horizon that aren't entire windowpanes? Would the Nexus S be a suitable replacement, or is it too similar to my current phone that it wouldn't really be an upgrade in any sense?

iPhone is the only I can think of that will be under 4". I am willing to bet most of Android's powerhouse phones will be over 4". Even the new Nexus is rumored to be 4.5" I think. I was going to say the 4.5" is not that big of deal at all coming from the EVO, but you did say you found the EVO too big.

Also Nexus S would only be a option if it was summer 2010 or you could get it with out using a upgrade.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

bobula posted:

As far as I know you can change it any time. I changed my plan into a family one and then back to individual after a few months. I haven't seen it around lately, but Sprint used to have something on their site about a "right plan promise" where you could change your plan anytime you liked.

You can change anytime, no contract change or fees. Always try to have it change on the bill date to avoid prorations.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
I just had a missed call from 866-957-4161 (call back wouldn't work). So I Google the number and it comes up it is Sprint calling about roaming too much. What is the deal with that? I hardly make any calls at work (that is pretty much where I am roaming at the most). How can I tell how many calls I made roaming?

I did check my data and last month I had (if I am reading the bill right) about 40MB of roaming data. According to what I read Sprint will fire you for roaming too much? Is that really true and is 40MB too much?

Only other thing I could think of is I had 10.9GBs of data last month. Now that is between 5 phones, but over 6GBs of it was mine. Does Sprint call you to tell you that you are using too much data? Is unlimited truly unlimited?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

nate fisher posted:

I just had a missed call from 866-957-4161 (call back wouldn't work). So I Google the number and it comes up it is Sprint calling about roaming too much.
I wouldn't worry about it. I got a call once from Sprint years ago because I had an upgrade available and hadn't used it or something. It was pretty bizarre, I have no idea why they would call about it.

Anyways, if Sprint does have an issue with you, you'll get a notice in a bill/mail. If the issue is that they can't send you bills/mail (post office bounced all my mail for a few weeks, grr) they'll send you a text message. Voice calls are too unreliable, and even then if it was important they'd leave voice mail.

nate fisher posted:

I did check my data and last month I had (if I am reading the bill right) about 40MB of roaming data. According to what I read Sprint will fire you for roaming too much? Is that really true and is 40MB too much?
300 MB is the magic number I believe.

nate fisher posted:

Is unlimited truly unlimited?
Except for tethering and roaming, yes.