Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

That Old Ganon
Jan 2, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Has anyone here cooked with camellia/tea seed oil? And also know a decent online source for it so I can access it in the middle of the U.S.?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,
Once about 15 years ago I found some tea seed oil at Whole Foods and I really liked cooking stir fry with it, but I didn't realize how unusual it was to find it. Some time later when I wanted to get some again, I couldn't find any and every source everywhere insisted "did you mean tea tree oil?" to the point I started to believe that I was crazy and I had never cooked with it and it wasn't a real thing. It wasn't until later I realized that it is a real but is apparently not a Thing at all in America and I've never seen any again despite looking for it in maybe a dozen Chinese grocery stores over the years.

mmmm
Jul 26, 2010

hey
you're one of them fancy lads, ain't ya?
^^ do you mean this kind of stuff? Too lazy to embed:

https://www.amazon.com/Arette-Organic-Certified-Pressed-Milliliter/dp/B00390MLIW

or you can probably learn my bloodtype and credit history from this ebay URL:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1713839259...%3ABFBM3rvKpq5g

I've been curious about the stuff but don't know a soul IRL that cooks with it -- suppose that's another youtube rabbit hole to explore. Would also much prefer to read trip reports here, if anyone's in the know.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Eeyo posted:

I bought some stuff from them back in January (so before Kenji released his book) and I definitely remember it taking a long-rear end time to get to me. I’m not sure if they ever sent me a shipping notice so it’s hard to say but I think it was like a month from ordering to getting the package.

Not saying anyone shouldn’t shop there, I got my merchandise and it’s fine. But even without the Kenji effect it was a bit slow and I remember not really knowing how the order was progressing.

i tried to order back at the beginning of may and the charge showed up under pending for almost the entire month of may, then it disappeared and no notice of shipment, no phone call, nothing. oh well, guess i'll shop elsewhere.

That Old Ganon
Jan 2, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Yeah, the one on Amazon is the one I encountered as well, but was hoping there might be one online around a third of that price, lmao

FishBowlRobot
Mar 21, 2006

Anyone have a recipe they like for Fish Maw Soup?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

FishBowlRobot posted:

Anyone have a recipe they like for Fish Maw Soup?

I see this stuff at my Asian mart all the time and I've always wondered how it was used.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
Guess I'll ask in here;

Doing some wok cooking, it's nice. Electric stove so I can't go full ham, but it does the job. I can do pork and chicken and etc, but cooking ground beef there's a pretty fat layer of fat at the bottom. Draining it out with a wok seems a little dangerous given the size of the thing, any general go-tos? Or should I just leave it altogther?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

There shouldn't be any situation where you need to drain. My guess is you're crowding the pan and getting a lot of non-fat liquid that shouldn't be there, first thing I'd try is cooking the beef in a couple batches to see how that comes out. If there's no way to do it without getting too much liquid I'd ladle it out.

If it genuinely is too much fat you'd be better off just buying leaner ground beef to avoid the problem entirely.

Thoht
Aug 3, 2006

You could always pour into something heat-safe with a mesh strainer on top.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Made some Chinese bacon:

https://londonishungry.com/lap-yuk-cured-pork-belly-chinese/

yung lambic
Dec 16, 2011

That looks seriously good. I think I've just found my weekend project.

That Old Ganon
Jan 2, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Does XO sauce generally cost 25bux per jar???

I made Fuchsia Dunlop's mapo tofu, but added in some ground pork. When I did this before I had LKK black bean garlic sauce, but this time I used the fermented black beans from the same people that make the chili bean paste (from Mala Market). They specifically asked not to rinse the beans, and the result ended up with a mustardy kind of taste I've never experienced before. Definitely going to keep an eye out for other brands of fermented black beans, because now I'm curious.

Ignore those spices, they had nothing to do with the mapo tofu.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

That Old Ganon posted:

Does XO sauce generally cost 25bux per jar???
I've never bought it but my impression is that yeah, it's one of those conspicuous consumption luxury product sort of things. "XO" is Hong Kong shorthand for luxury, I believe.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Guess it depends on the jar? I've never seen it anywhere close to $25. The bigass jars on Amazon are $21.

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth
What is sweet pasta sauce in this recipe from wang gang? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oeATRssHw2Q

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Sichuan tianmianjiang. Weird translation.

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth

Grand Fromage posted:

Sichuan tianmianjiang. Weird translation.

Tyvm!

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
I don't know Chinese but presumably the 面 (miàn) turned into "pasta" because that's one of the things it can mean. (In tianmianjiang it means wheat flour.)

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?
Ok maybe that is the recipe I bought the sweet bean sauce for, as its been sitting in my pantry after I forgot what it was for.

That Old Ganon
Jan 2, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER
After trying about three recipes, it feels like the Woks of Life people really enjoy their salt.

I did the egg drop soup, ginger chicken, and mall chicken teriyaki.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

That Old Ganon posted:

After trying about three recipes, it feels like the Woks of Life people really enjoy their salt.

I did the egg drop soup, ginger chicken, and mall chicken teriyaki.

Their salt levels have always been good for me and don't seem out of the range of normal salt additions. Maybe you need a soy sauce that's less salty?

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

you can also try using spiro

is that good
Apr 14, 2012
volume-based salt measurements can vary a lot between types and brands of salt, so you may also be using a finer salt than them
I think this is a common thing with Serious Eats recipes as well

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
I always just go with the old "you can always add more salt" idea when making new recipes.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Yeah there are reasons why it's sometimes better to add salt earlier to get water out or help some things cook, but even in those situations, you don't have to add all the salt at the beginning.

Especially with chinese stuff that has soy sauce and if you're using the shaoxing cooking wine you can get in the US, which is really salty, and also maybe stock that has salt it's incredibly easy to go overboard, so I would suggest reducing the quantities of these ingredients and then adding more at the end for flavor if it's not excessively salty.

That Old Ganon
Jan 2, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I completely forgot about the shaoxing cooking wine being a salt source :doh:

I'll lean back on salty stuff in the recipes. My mouth seems kind of sensitive to salt and spiciness so stuff might be salty to me and not my friends (they'll ask if something is That Old Ganon spicy or spicy spicy).

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Woks of Life also has a lot of really terrible/weird recipes. No idea about those particular ones.

It's worth finding Shaoxing that is actual Shaoxing intended to be drinkable and not the salted poo poo.

mystes
May 31, 2006

If you can't reduce the salt in other ways and you can't get real shaoxing wine you can just use dry vermouth or something

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

mystes posted:

If you can't reduce the salt in other ways and you can't get real shaoxing wine you can just use dry vermouth or something

I use cheap sake or sherry. They're not the same, but there's not much in most recipes, and they don't add salt. Normally it's just cheap sake.

There's no real replacement for baijiu though in flavor.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Jhet posted:

There's no real replacement for baijiu though in flavor.

Gasoline or nail polish remover.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Grand Fromage posted:

Gasoline or nail polish remover.

Maybe lower proof Everclear. It’s not a loss.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I actually have some drinkable baijiu I use in things but 99% of it is godawful.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.
I like Woks of Life’s fusion recipes and some of their Cantonese stuff (I use their steamed fish one a lot), but would recommend staying away from their Sichuan ones.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
i saw a couple recipes for clay pot rice, is there a good source for picking up one or two of these things? any chance they're available at h-mart?

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

BraveUlysses posted:

i saw a couple recipes for clay pot rice, is there a good source for picking up one or two of these things? any chance they're available at h-mart?

I don't think clay pots are as common in Korean cooking, but you can always get a lot of other great things at H Mart. I think I've seen them at the Asian Family market on Aurora and 130th. I know I've seen them in the city, but you might try 99Ranch too. I wish I could remember where now.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Yeah, my Asian mart sells them; they don't really exist outside of those in my city.

Downside: I only have induction burners now :-/

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Nickoten posted:

I like Woks of Life’s fusion recipes and some of their Cantonese stuff (I use their steamed fish one a lot), but would recommend staying away from their Sichuan ones.

The Bang Bang Chicken is really solid.

The other one I like from there a lot is the Beef and Tofu stir fry

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
Could anyone offer advice on how to incorporate a wok burner and possibly other chinese elements into a kitchen? I'm about to remodel, and have space/money to do it right.

I just have no idea where to start <3

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dot communist
Mar 28, 2005

That Old Ganon posted:

I completely forgot about the shaoxing cooking wine being a salt source :doh:

Grand Fromage posted:

It's worth finding Shaoxing that is actual Shaoxing intended to be drinkable and not the salted poo poo.

Yikes, I was not aware. I just started cooking with Shaoxing recently (I forget for what recipe exactly, but now I'm using it all the time in stir fry and marinade). I guess I got lucky when I splurged at the H Mart for what looked to be a more upper-mid range brand in an actual wine bottle. Will keep an eye out when it's time to re up.