Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I doubt it, since the battery pack is a different form factor. I upgraded my 85D to a 90kWh battery though, and I have the option to upgrade my 90D to a 100kWh battery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
Yeah, that's what I mean about rebuilding, though. Swapping the pack at the dealer for the new modular version is a no-brainer job. Taking the old pack and remanufacturing it with new cells and software is more complex and more expensive, but also seems to make a ton of sense since the vehicles themselves have almost nothing else to break.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

They do remanufacture/refurbish the old packs, apparently, so there's that.

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

That's not an oil leak. That's the automatic oil change and chassis protection feature.
Latest upgrade to the Roadster started shipping this year:

http://shop.teslamotors.com/products/roadster-3-0-upgrade

~340 mile range

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
Yeah, see, good. That's the kind of thing I was hoping to see.

I'm like thiiiiiiiiis close to buying a Zero SR...I just need to figure out where the hell I'm going to keep it. San Francisco is not a garage-friendly city.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I'd like to get excited about things like future battery upgrades to EVs. However, until they stop making cars out of metal (or they stop dropping copious amounts of salt on the roads), the unibody is going to determine the lifespan of any vehicle I own.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Aluminum does better there, no?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Well yeah, but there aren't exactly a plethora of aluminum unibody cars out there. Also, fasteners still rust to the point where it's an exercise in frustration to work on.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Oh, I thought you were taking about the Roadster/S. Quite true.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

You'll be sorry you made fun of me when Daddy Donald jails all my posting enemies!
So if batteries wear out, but you can recycle the metal in them for reuse, what exactly is it that wears out?

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

ilkhan posted:

So if batteries wear out, but you can recycle the metal in them for reuse, what exactly is it that wears out?

Scientists only just figured that out:

https://www.extremetech.com/extreme/183338-scientists-discover-the-reason-that-batteries-lose-capacity-over-time-nanocrystals

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

This is probably a dumb question, but could the anode and cathode me modularized to be replaced without replacing and recycling the whole battery?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Jealous Cow posted:

This is probably a dumb question, but could the anode and cathode me modularized to be replaced without replacing and recycling the whole battery?

That, like, is the whole battery—anode, cathode electrolyte, casing. Maybe batteries could be designed to make recycling cheaper, but the process would't be fundamentally different than current recycling, just streamlined.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Jealous Cow posted:

Maybe, but probably not without sacrificing space and weight, which is at a premium when chasing effective energy density - i.e. how many kWh to the complete plumbed and wired pack, not just in the chemistry per cell. Perhaps more likely is figuring out a way to prevent those crystals from forming or some sort of overhaul or maintenance mode that cleans them out, like how you can desulfate a lead acid battery.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Brigdh posted:

Latest upgrade to the Roadster started shipping this year:

http://shop.teslamotors.com/products/roadster-3-0-upgrade

~340 mile range
It's pretty cool that they continue to support and upgrade a model that they stopped making 4 years ago. I'm a bit tempted to try and find a second hand Roadster.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Collateral Damage posted:

It's pretty cool that they continue to support and upgrade a model that they stopped making 4 years ago. I'm a bit tempted to try and find a second hand Roadster.

The ones I've seen on the Norwegian market haven't depreciated much, probably because it's fairly rare and the enthusiast owners think it should have a collector's premium.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Ola posted:

The ones I've seen on the Norwegian market haven't depreciated much, probably because it's fairly rare and the enthusiast owners think it should have a collector's premium.

They should. It was my favorite car to drive in GTA5 :v:

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

Ola posted:

Prices in the US appear to start at $50-60k.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Cockmaster posted:

Prices in the US appear to start at $50-60k.

Had a look, around the same here. Not far below a 2013 S85.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

bull3964 posted:

I'd like to get excited about things like future battery upgrades to EVs. However, until they stop making cars out of metal (or they stop dropping copious amounts of salt on the roads), the unibody is going to determine the lifespan of any vehicle I own.

This is why my plan is to buy an i8. Imagine restomodding one from 7kWh to something like 30.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Ola posted:

I thought this was another CGI moonmobile, but apparently it isn't. It's a 1300 hp (or in other terms 1 MW), four motor, 4WD, 195 mph, 3G cornering hypercar that just did the Nordschleife in 7.05,12.

NextEV NIO EP9:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJD-Ip1meuE

Who knows if anything will trickle down to the average consumer, but on the other hand who cares? Nothing that I know of trickled down from the Pagani Zonda, but it was still cool.

Is there a reason the driver stays out of the Carousel?

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

CannonFodder posted:

Is there a reason the driver stays out of the Carousel?

Might cause a short circuit.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Ola posted:

Might cause a short circuit.

You would think the car was engineered to not OH DAMMIT

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Re: regen pedal chat. This Kia PHEV has mixed regen and friction on the brake pedal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bDFfHga_k1A

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Some dumb questions.
I'm starting to look at the possibility of picking up a used Leaf across the border because even with the exchange rate, they're still thousands cheaper than Canadian used prices. But driving back from say Detroit means there will be several strategic charging stops needed along the way. There's enough level 3 chargers to make the trip, but what I don't know is can you charge a Leaf with a level 3 charger? For some reason I think they only do level 2 charging?
Also, some generic questions about the Leaf - how does available range vary according to grandma driving vs teenager trying to impress girls driving?
How's the stereo on these things? Good enough for NPR, or mobile nightclub?
And the dumbest question of them all, would attempting to make the stereo system more of the latter make any noticeable difference to range?

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

With the right options, you can get a quick charger port on the Leaf. I live in the middle of nowhere, so I can't comment on how well those work. I understand it should be 80% battery in 30 minutes. To play it safe, you'd likely want to plan on no more than 50 miles between charging stops in winter. Also note that if you toss on winter tires, you'll likely see a range drop since they will be more rolling resistant (atleast Blizzaks are).

I have the Bose stereo in my 2013 and it sounds good, not incredibly loud. From what I've read, there is a 1500w DC to DC convertor for the 12v system, which should be plenty if you want to do aftermarket stuff. Obviously it drains the battery, so adding a 1000w stereo is gonna drain the battery at a 1kWh rate. I think the first thing I'd spend money on is sound deadening though and loving any rattles or squeaks. With how quiet the car is, those are noticeable. And from the outside, you can hear the stereo pretty clearly since there is no engine noise to compete with.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Finger Prince posted:

There's enough level 3 chargers to make the trip, but what I don't know is can you charge a Leaf with a level 3 charger?

Short answer: Yes, up to 50 kW on CHAdeMO.
Long answer: I think the "level 2" and "level 3" terms were coined to make it easier to understand the charging concepts, but they can be confusing in my opinion. You might end up at a level 3 charger which you can't charge from. The important thing is to understand DC vs AC and the different plug standards.

AC: uses the car's own AC/DC converter, which limits the charging power.
DC: Uses an external AC/DC converter, charging power limited by the battery (or the DC system).

Different standards of DC charging: CHAdeMO (Nissan, Kia, Mitsubishi etc), Combo CCS (GM, VW, BMW), Tesla (Model S and X).

Apparently this is an option in the US? Never look twice at one that doesn't have CHAdeMO charging, IMO. (although I'm sure many can get by fine without)

Finger Prince posted:

Also, some generic questions about the Leaf - how does available range vary according to grandma driving vs teenager trying to impress girls driving?

Lots, a heavy right foot can cut your range massively. High speed on the highway also sucks juice. There's quite a bit of info online on Leaf consumption, like this: http://www.plugincars.com/economy-efficiency-nissan-leaf-my-experience-after-3-months.html On the whole I'd say the 30 kWh Leaf requires a bit of planning and some patience for long range driving but basically zero care for energy management in the day to day commute.

Dunno about the stereo. From Tesla anecdotes it seems like a massive stereo system has a measurable but tiny impact on range.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM
Leasehackr has details on the Bolt lease pricing

http://leasehackr.com/blog/2016/11/21/bolt-ev-lease-program-announced-309-month

Comes out to ~$350 a month without the CARB $2,500 rebate.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

"Hey cool, maybe I can loot at trading the Volt in on a Bolt lease!"

"What the gently caress, CA and OR only at release? What the actual gently caress, GM?"

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

MrYenko posted:

"What the gently caress, CA and OR only at release? What the actual gently caress, GM?"

Isn't launching initially in CA and maybe one or two other western states pretty standard for EVs and other alternative fuels? While they're ramping up production and support it seems to make sense to focus on areas where you have a high concentration of early adopters and better than average infrastructure.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

Leasehackr has details on the Bolt lease pricing

http://leasehackr.com/blog/2016/11/21/bolt-ev-lease-program-announced-309-month

Comes out to ~$350 a month without the CARB $2,500 rebate.

JFC I'm never going to buy an EV at this rate.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

I think another factor is that GM aren't able to launch with as many cars in as many places as they wanted to.

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

wolrah posted:

Isn't launching initially in CA and maybe one or two other western states pretty standard for EVs and other alternative fuels? While they're ramping up production and support it seems to make sense to focus on areas where you have a high concentration of early adopters and better than average infrastructure.

Yeah, pretty much. Though this does remind me of all the talk of how GM was going to be first to market with an affordable long-range EV, bearing Tesla by a year. Would we still count it as GM winning the race if Tesla is able to manage a nationwide rollout while the Bolt is still only available on the West Coast?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

How about if GM has 30,000 cars on the road in California and Oregon by the end of the year, but Tesla has 5,000 cars across thirty states? Who wins then?

I think it counts as "winning the race" when the first customer has the first set of keys in their hand. Full stop.

The Sicilian
Sep 3, 2006

by Smythe

Sagebrush posted:

How about if GM has 30,000 cars on the road in California and Oregon by the end of the year, but Tesla has 5,000 cars across thirty states? Who wins then?

I think it counts as "winning the race" when the first customer has the first set of keys in their hand. Full stop.

I don't think this is the be all end all metric. Even if GM manages put the keys in a customers hands first, we have to look at the quality and overall production of the vehicle.

Knowing GM they will rush this, and punish those who buy them with unreliability, difficult to use features, and terrible drivability.

I'll take my model S and waiting a bit longer for the 3 rather than some rushed "compliance car."

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

The Sicilian posted:

I don't think this is the be all end all metric. Even if GM manages put the keys in a customers hands first, we have to look at the quality and overall production of the vehicle.

Knowing GM they will rush this, and punish those who buy them with unreliability, difficult to use features, and terrible drivability.

I'll take my model S and waiting a bit longer for the 3 rather than some rushed "compliance car."

Praise be to musk.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

I don't think the Volt is a compliance car and don't think which one turns out to be first to market will matter one single bit once the second one has launched. Neither one will be able to out-produce demand.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

The Sicilian posted:

*looks up Tesla reliability*

*head explodes*

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

This is pretty big: VAG, BMW, Daimer and Ford team up to roll out 350 kW CCS chargers in Europe. https://electrek.co/2016/11/29/ultra-fast-charging-electric-car-network-bmw-mercedes-ford-vw/ See guys, working together is good!

And the Volt configurator is now open: http://www.chevrolet.com/bolt-ev-electric-vehicle/build-your-own.html#/trim

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Tesla's initial reliability was iffy, but is that still the case? Anecdata, but none of the ~50 owners who responded to the post internal to FB indicated any issues beyond fit and finish tuning. (Window glass tapping frame when the door was opened quickly, and a little rattle in one door, in my case. They lightly botched the LTE/Ludicrous upgrade, but it was resolved quickly.)

• Locked thread