Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BattleMoose
Jun 16, 2010

fishmech posted:

After the last discussion on that topic, didn't it turn out that it was a particularly inefficient design to actually run as a peaking plant, and probably should have been replaced long ago? But also, due to how heavily invested Australia's always been on traditional coal plants, nobody wanted to build a more efficient peaking design of gas plant (I do believe the existing but mothballed plant was a natural gas design) in the same general area as well.

I don't recall any talk of the plant itself being inefficient. Cannot find a credible source but this article claims:
http://www.news.com.au/finance/business/cold-hard-economic-reality-of-power-supply-in-australia/news-story/e9518d5f8532b812881ba0f21c7511e5

quote:

The reason why Pelican Point, one of the SA’s newest and most efficient gas-fired generators, chose not to offer its electricity appears to be simple: money.

South Australia's electricity mix is distinct from the rest of Australia, currently there is no active coal fired power plants in South Australia. Though it is dependent often times on electricity imports.

Also, as of typing this, 62% of the electricity being generated in South Australia is from wind.

http://www.sa.gov.au/topics/energy-and-environment/energy-supply/sas-electricity-supply-and-market

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Pander posted:

Cheap efficient energy storage is just a few years down the road, just like fusion.

I mean it's a well known issue. The options are nationalization or wait for R&D magic, cause economics and environmentalism are at odds there.

It's basically already here. Just look at what Tesla is building in S. Australia.

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

BattleMoose posted:

South Australia went nuts with wind installations and because of how the economics work a private company shut down one of their peaking plants because it couldn't compete with the lower electricity prices. Recently a number of factors came together and electricity demand could not be met with supply. Turns out they needed that peaking plant but the economics of the state make it unprofitable to keep it on standby. Whoops. Turns out making fossil fuel power plants unprofitable can have nasty consequences for meeting demand. Honestly, no surprises here.

Elon Musk's dumb Twitter dare that he made when that happened was accepted. Tesla is going to build a 100 MW/129 MWh battery in 100 days (I think July 6 was day 1) and if it's not online at the end, it's free. There are other massive battery things being built, a 100MW/400 MWh one in South Australia as well.

Pelican point is 485 MW in 3 turbines, so already battery storage is at a point where battery manufacturers think they can operate profitably where peaker plants can't.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

fermun posted:

Elon Musk's dumb Twitter dare that he made when that happened was accepted. Tesla is going to build a 100 MW/129 MWh battery in 100 days (I think July 6 was day 1) and if it's not online at the end, it's free. There are other massive battery things being built, a 100MW/400 MWh one in South Australia as well.

Pelican point is 485 MW in 3 turbines, so already battery storage is at a point where battery manufacturers think they can operate profitably where peaker plants can't.

It's only dumb if it fails and he loses the money. If he succeeds it's a huge public relations coup. Seems worth the risk.

Tasmantor
Aug 13, 2007
Horrid abomination
I'm pretty sure Australia's problem vis-a-vis power boils down to everyone selling our gas overseas for mad stacks so when it is needed to make those last few profit rich megawatts is already been shipped away.

BattleMoose
Jun 16, 2010

Charlz Guybon posted:

It's only dumb if it fails and he loses the money. If he succeeds it's a huge public relations coup. Seems worth the risk.

South Australia is also paying for the thing, so if it isn't able to stabilize the grid (as well as a gas peaker plant could) then it could be dumb from the perspective of public expenditure. Also, its coming from the renewable energy budget, so buying this battery means less turbines/solar.

It might turn out to be a good move for SA or Tesla or just one or none of them. No way to tell yet. But, Elon is getting a tonne of publicity either way. In my opinion though, 128 MWh doesn't seem like enough.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Sounds like it can replace 2/3 of one of their turbines for about an hour and a half? Not a bad start.

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

I'm bad with money and I want that meatball!

hobbesmaster posted:

Sounds like it can replace 2/3 of one of their turbines for about an hour and a half? Not a bad start.

This does not seem correct. 2/3 of the turbines provide 323MW, an hour and a half at that would be 485MWh. The battery apparently can run at 100MW and holds 128MWh of energy. That means that it is more like replacing 2/3 for 30 mins. This of course assumes that 1/5 of the load capacity is an acceptable thing at that point.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
Is there historical data for how much variance there is in wind generated power? If the lowest ever recorded baseline for wind generation is, say, 60% of the average generation, that is going to create wildly different storage requirements than a scenario where the lowest recorded baseline is, say, 30%.

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

Raldikuk posted:

This does not seem correct. 2/3 of the turbines provide 323MW, an hour and a half at that would be 485MWh. The battery apparently can run at 100MW and holds 128MWh of energy. That means that it is more like replacing 2/3 for 30 mins. This of course assumes that 1/5 of the load capacity is an acceptable thing at that point.

There are 2 turbines of 160MW and one of 165 MW at the pelican point peaking plant. That's where his number of 2/3 of a turbines came from.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Electricity was a mistake.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Cheap electricity was a mistake

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
Anime was a mistake.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Phanatic posted:

Anime was a mistake.
It always comes back around to nuclear.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

The electronic reproduction of music is a blight on society.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

VC Summers 2&3 are 64% complete and will be abandoned due to construction cost overruns and not enough subsidies to cover them:

http://www.aikenstandard.com/news/scana-santee-cooper-pull-plug-on-v-c-summer/article_5d654982-7617-11e7-b066-270a9fc4fd45.html

quote:

Efforts to build two state-of-the-art nuclear reactors at the V.C. Summer Nuclear Plant in Fairfield County have gone inert.

Citing escalating costs, uncertainty over tax credits and the amount of Toshiba's recent financial pledge, SCANA Corp., the majority partner at V.C. Summer, said in a statement it plans to file a notice of abandonment with state regulators.

The decision follows a similar by minority partner Santee Cooper to suspend construction efforts. Santee Cooper said doing so would save its customers $7 billion.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Trabisnikof posted:

VC Summers 2&3 are 64% complete and will be abandoned due to construction cost overruns and not enough subsidies to cover them:

http://www.aikenstandard.com/news/scana-santee-cooper-pull-plug-on-v-c-summer/article_5d654982-7617-11e7-b066-270a9fc4fd45.html

I think the engineering parlance is clusterfuck.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
With the future of Vogtle 3/4 in doubt, what reactors are left?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

R I P nuclear

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Admittedly, I do think there is (maybe) chance for the Vogtle project to be re-started but the renaissance is looking anemic.

In the rest of the world, it seems like Russia and China are mostly dominating construction. Russia especially has been aggressive about construction outside of its borders.

Ardennes fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Jul 31, 2017

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Fear of nuclear destroyed America's abilities to construct civilian nuclear power plants

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Nebakenezzer posted:

Fear of nuclear destroyed America's abilities to construct civilian nuclear power plants

Nah, nuclear being seen as a great way to bilk utilities with huge construction contracts is what did it in. Fear of nuclear didn't cause SONGS or Crystal River to shut down. Fear of nuclear isn't why AREVA is exiting the construction industry. Maybe you can blame the fall of Stone & Webster on the fear of nuclear but that can't explain Westinghouse's contracting fuckups.

The Bechtals, Babcox & Wilcoxes of the world never cared about nuclear as an end only as a means to get sweet sweet handouts in the form of cost overruns on publically subsidized projects.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Yeah I'd much less blame fear of ATOMZ for north america's lack of successful investment in nuclear and much more blame the same disease that's crippling our ability to build trains or transit. There's a bunch of institutional forces arrayed against pretty much all expensive infrastructure that ends up bloating its costs to insane levels, and nuclear, being a naturally very capital-intensive thing to start up, has been extremely hard hit by it.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Yeah, one phase of the second avenue expansion in NY cost 4.5 billion and that is rail system that is practically limping at the moment. The US is having a growing issue with infrastructure, and nuclear power is only part of it.

Also, it really doesn't seem environmentalists had anything to do with the way things turned out (compared to massive cost overruns.)

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

I only meant that the new power plants were the first started since the Three Mile Island incident in 1979. And that lead to people like stone and wilcox, well, getting out of practice, not to mention all the people who for two decades built power plants retiring and dying with nobody replacing them.

Not to deny any of the other problems these projects have...

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
It is fascinating to me how a multibillion dollar project like that can just be abandoned outside of sudden funding changes or similar. Does anyone have any insight as to what happened?

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Trabisnikof posted:

Jesus this is hilariously timely considering our discussion in the other thread :suicide:

(and I concur wholeheartedly with your analysis) :suicide: :suicide:

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
But regulatory ratcheting *totally* isn't a thing, you guys.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Baronjutter posted:

Yeah I'd much less blame fear of ATOMZ for north america's lack of successful investment in nuclear and much more blame the same disease that's crippling our ability to build trains or transit. There's a bunch of institutional forces arrayed against pretty much all expensive infrastructure that ends up bloating its costs to insane levels, and nuclear, being a naturally very capital-intensive thing to start up, has been extremely hard hit by it.

What's the issue.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Ol Standard Retard posted:

Jesus this is hilariously timely considering our discussion in the other thread :suicide:

(and I concur wholeheartedly with your analysis) :suicide: :suicide:

what other thread

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

call to action posted:

It is fascinating to me how a multibillion dollar project like that can just be abandoned outside of sudden funding changes or similar. Does anyone have any insight as to what happened?

From the various things reported over VC Summer over the last two years or so: the usual infrastructure cost overrun happened, the usual infrastructure construction delays happened and increased the cost overrun some more, Toshiba Westinghouse (a dumbshit inefficient company even by US nuclear industry standards according to nukegoons) went broke and took a while to get sorted out, construction didn't exactly speed up while the investors+Toshiba met to discuss how to proceed, at some point it turned out the likely completion dates for the reactors would be pushed back so far that they'd miss out on a deadline for some sweet sweet subsidy money, it could be safely assumed that Trump wouldn't introduce a carbon tax/more green energy subsidies any time soon, and in the end nobody wanted to continue paying for the things.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

QuarkJets posted:

what other thread

we got into nuclear/renewable chat briefly in the Climate Change thread and Trabs has actually been pretty persuasive regarding the practicalities of nuclear buildout, underscored here by some real-life current events.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

what is the infrastructure cost issue

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

https://www.strongtowns.org/journal/2017/6/4/this-is-why-infrastructure-is-so-expensive
https://www.bloomberg.com/view/articles/2012-08-26/u-s-taxpayers-are-gouged-on-mass-transit-costs

About the US's absolutely hosed infrastructure costs. There's lots of takes but it seems like a big mix of factors and the whole way spending is done and projects managed.

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Aug 1, 2017

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Ol Standard Retard posted:

we got into nuclear/renewable chat briefly in the Climate Change thread and Trabs has actually been pretty persuasive regarding the practicalities of nuclear buildout, underscored here by some real-life current events.

Counterpoint: glorious Chinar. Counterpoint 2: glorious Mother Russia. Counterpoint 3: South Korea until like two months ago.

Senor P.
Mar 27, 2006
I MUST TELL YOU HOW PEOPLE CARE ABOUT STUFF I DONT AND BE A COMPLETE CUNT ABOUT IT

Trabisnikof posted:

The Bechtals, Babcox & Wilcoxes of the world never cared about nuclear as an end only as a means to get sweet sweet handouts in the form of cost overruns on publically subsidized projects.
Really? It sounds more like to me you don't know what the gently caress you are talking about.

Nuclear plants have devlolved from something being under to 1-2 billion dollars in the 70s to 10-12 billion dollars for a 2 unit plant today.

Which is well beyond a 'classical' lump sum turn key type approach. A lot can happen in 8-10 year construction time and that is well beyond the control of anyone.
(Price of copper cabling in the late 1990s compared to the 2000s.)

Off the top of my head....( Jacobs, Wahington Group, URS, Bechtel, Kiewit, Babcox and Wilcox, TVA, CB&I, Shaw and Webster (formerly), EBASCO) all built nuclear plants at one time or another.

I personally know several people who worked on nuclear plants during the boom of the 70s. (SONGs, Palo Verde, Browns Ferry (the first time))

It does not work favorably in anyone's interest when you cannot get a project to 'completion'.
(The utility that owns the plant, the company that owns the design or the architectual company that may have built it.)

You want to know what is causing problems?

-The fact energy costs and material has increased substantially.
-Any design change (whether it be to the reactor or the material) after the design is certified and before the COL is issued or even after the COL is issued.
-The fact that a COL for supposedly pre-approved design is averaging 8-10 years.
-The AP1000 having to, effectively, getting re-designed after the COL license was issued.
-The RCP issues with the AP1000s.
-Trying to run these projects as a lump-sump when they should be handled as a cost-reimburseable.
-A workforce that refuses to be trained. (We had a journeyman pipe fitter that could not read P&IDs. He continually put down the drawing and walked off and refused to get 'trained' on it.) To me this is a classic case of insubordination and should be dealth with accordingly. Do we deal with it? Nope. Still getting guys from the local hall that are not able to read P&IDs.
-Stupidity and lack of common sense (Who cares if my thousand dollar stud bolts are 1/16" longer than they're supposed to be? If they fit the dimension I need them to which is pretty standardized for pipe flanges, who gives a gently caress that they don't meet a spec? Oh no I need to generate paper saying this is a non-conformance and someone has to disposition it.)
-Snowball of seemingly small issues ballooning into large ones. (I can't have the pipe fitters move pipe in their own flat bed. The driver has to be a teamster. Oh now we have to schedule poo poo in 24 hours in advance b/c they're busy. Oh we can't do it on a Friday cause the crew only wants to work 4-10s. Can't get a different Friday crew to do it cause different crews don't like touching other crew's work. So now we're a day behind. Oh we're short a crane or fork lift due to maintence problems, etc, etc, etc.)

You know what is at the core of Russia's, China's, South Korea, UAE's success stories? A large amount of labor at cheap prices and nationalized material supply chains that do not have to issue out quotes to bid.

Any large Construction project in the U.S. might have 1000-2000 people working on it, if that many. The UAE can use 10,000 people and keep them in a man camp working for 6 days a week for a year at a time. You have some people die? Have a heart attack? Die of heat exhaustion? Commit suicide? Well ship them out and get someone new in.

The U.S. does not follow the barbarous labor practices of the middle east, China, or South Korea. We have to submit our bids for material out to market to be "competitive". Then we receive counterfeit goods from supposed nuclear accredited companies that we have to "eat the costs" on. (Maybe you can get your money back, maybe not...)

You are comparing apples to oranges. Give me a loving break.

**Edit
You want to know how to make nuclear cheap and affordable in the U.S.? Nationalize every single plant to be under the control of the U.S. Navy. Establish modular reactors based off what is already used in aircraft carriers and submarine. Built (or at least overseen by), owned, and operated by the Navy.

Maybe have some of the owners, designers and architects regain some 'common sense' instead of numerous bullshit responses?

Hmm you know what, why stop there? How about we nationalize every power plant? Why should electricity be a for-profit enterprise?

Jail terms and lawsuits and fines for 'bullshit' are already a thing in U.S. nuclear industry but unfortunately do not seem to dissuade such shite from happening.

Talk to anyone that was around during the 'golden age' of U.S. nuclear power plant construction and they will likely tell you that it has gotten substantially much more difficult than it used to be.

Senor P. fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Aug 7, 2017

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Yeah, the big difference between the 1970s and now is that unionized labor is so much more pervasive in 2017.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Arglebargle III posted:

Yeah, the big difference between the 1970s and now is that unionized labor is so much more pervasive in 2017.

Did they have a million different contractor with their very own special snowflake issues in the 1970s or did Big American Nuclear Co just send their own workforce and hire a bunch of extra specialist dudes so they'd be able to work without having to stop for like three days every time someone dropped a pipe?

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

Senor P. posted:

You want to know how to make nuclear cheap and affordable in the U.S.? Nationalize every single plant to be under the control of the U.S. Navy. Establish modular reactors based off what is already used in aircraft carriers and submarine. Built (or at least overseen by), owned, and operated by the Navy.

You are going to have to expound on this one--on its face it sounds like a really bad idea. The U.S. military operates under much different constraints than the commercial world and is not really known for being a low-cost organization.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

silence_kit posted:

You are going to have to expound on this one--on its face it sounds like a really bad idea. The U.S. military operates under much different constraints than the commercial world and is not really known for being a low-cost organization.

The Nuclear Navy at this point almost certainly operates at a better cost ratio than most commercial plants. That's more that the process is streamlined and mass produced and while labor unions are still a thing (a good thing) they also know that the two navy shipyards balk none of the lazy poo poo you see in a lot of other construction processes. I don't think a single S9G reactor plant has been behind schedule.

M_Gargantua fucked around with this message at 11:22 on Aug 7, 2017