Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KabukiJoe
Nov 19, 2002

BlueBayou posted:

The Mexico ride at Epcot is crazy. I had no idea what was going on. Thank god I was mostly sober. I can't imagine how crazy that ride is while drunk

It's magical .

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

BlueBayou posted:

I thought tower of terror was behind Morocco and was themed accordingly, but I couldn't see it.
I mean, you're not wrong, but

Happitoo
Nov 24, 2005

We are going to go for the store, then the district manager. Then WE ARE GOING TO THE CORPORATE OFFICE AND THEN TO THE EXECUTIVES! DXRYAHHHHHHHHH!!

BlueBayou posted:

I thought tower of terror was behind Morocco and was themed accordingly, but I couldn't see it

I know what you're getting at.

You can really only see the back of ToT when you're standing opposite of Morocco on the other side of the lake. But yes, the back of ToT is painted to blend in with Morocco and it has pointy things on top of the back to blend in and look like minarets.

Edit: Here's a site that has a good picture of it.

http://towersecrets.com/see-the-tower-of-terror-from-inside-epcot/

Happitoo fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Dec 9, 2015

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

Neither Morocco nor Norway light up during IllumiNations. There are reasons that why that is, but they aren't really known for certain. I think Morocco's is religious and Disney says Norway doesn't light to keep things symmetrical. But really, who knows?

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.
Norway doesn't light up because the buildings weren't built with the proper wiring for the lighting effects needed for illuminations and they've never felt the need to do a refurbishment to fix it, I guess.

Morocco is indeed a religious reason, and yes the Hollywood Tower Hotel was given Moroccan influences so it could blend in from the one specific angle you can see it behind Morocco. if you go to the other two Tower of Terror rides (excluding Tokyos, which is bugnuts insane looking) they are dramatically different and much more in style with actual 1930s Hollywood.

Edit for clarification

California Adventure (and Paris)

and for fun

Tokyo DisneySea

TheBigBudgetSequel fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Dec 10, 2015

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Braksgirl is lucky because now that i'm off probation I can ask you guys my dumb questions instead of her :woop: . ESPECIALLY WHEN THEY'RE REPEAT QUESTIONS!!

I'll be arriving at the airport at like 10 AM next week, and then taking MDE over to Pop Century. Is there a place to drop off our carry on bag in the interim until our room or will we have to take them in the park with us?

Same for the last day we're there. Our flight doesn't leave until 8 PM and we planned on spending the day at the park, but I realized that we'll have our carry on with us?

Thanks goons. Excited to let you all know what going to the Parks during Christmas with a eplieptic ends up. :suicide:

MockTurtle
Mar 9, 2006
Once I was a real Turtle.
^ I've heard others say you can leave them with the desk and they will hold them until your room is ready.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy
When you go to check in tell them you have bags you would like stored until your room is ready. They are very accommodating.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

They have a baggage concierge. You drop your stuff off with the baggage folks at Pop and they'll give you a pick up ticket. When you get back from the park, you go back down to baggage and turn in your ticket and they'll have your bags. You can do the same on check out day. Really easy.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
You guys own thanks.

Edna Mode
Sep 24, 2005

Bullshit, that's last year's Fall collection!

BBS, have you gotten to go inside the Skipper's Canteen yet? It seems crazy that it's supposed to open soon with so little information about it, although I heard the CM previews were held recently.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Edna Mode posted:

BBS, have you gotten to go inside the Skipper's Canteen yet? It seems crazy that it's supposed to open soon with so little information about it, although I heard the CM previews were held recently.

I haven't. The day of CM previews, I was out of the state for the first time since I moved down here (go figure) but I've heard its really cool. At the preview they didn't serve food, it was just to see the place (Kind of like the preview for Trader Sams back in the spring) but a few days ago they let our coordinators try the menu. Apparently interesting and delicious menu.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Anyone know the locations in the parks to pick up your MVMCP wrist bands? We got cards in the mail, but we're going to be at MK already and I'm not getting a good answer out of google. :qq:

Thanks

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

You get them at the front of MK as you enter the party. You don't pick them up early. If you're already in the park, I think you go back out front like you're going to exit and just get them there. I don't know of any other place inside the park where they would be.

Cais
Jul 10, 2006
unicycler
There's usually a few locations. Tortuga tavern has been one, and next to stitch's great escape. They start distributing at 4pm. I don't know if they've changed them this year.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Cais posted:

There's usually a few locations. Tortuga tavern has been one, and next to stitch's great escape. They start distributing at 4pm. I don't know if they've changed them this year.

Fantasy Faire (Philharmagic's gift shop) has a distribution location too.

KidVanguard
Jan 27, 2006

American Diaper

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

Norway doesn't light up because the buildings weren't built with the proper wiring for the lighting effects needed for illuminations and they've never felt the need to do a refurbishment to fix it, I guess.

Morocco is indeed a religious reason, and yes the Hollywood Tower Hotel was given Moroccan influences so it could blend in from the one specific angle you can see it behind Morocco. if you go to the other two Tower of Terror rides (excluding Tokyos, which is bugnuts insane looking) they are dramatically different and much more in style with actual 1930s Hollywood.

Edit for clarification

California Adventure (and Paris)

and for fun

Tokyo DisneySea

If anyone has the opportunity to go to DisneySea do it. It makes Disneyworld look like a parking lot carnival.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Cool thanks goons. Four more days!!! Nervous as hell but so excited at the same time.

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer
The plane ride home from Orlando is always full of cranky children =(

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

My kids were exhausted and slept most of the flight home

Dr. Benway
Dec 9, 2005

We can't stop here! This is bat country!

KidVanguard posted:

If anyone has the opportunity to go to DisneySea do it. It makes Disneyworld look like a parking lot carnival.

My in-laws have been DVC members for a long time. I picked up the newsletter while we were at their house over Thanksgiving and all I have to say is that the plans for the Shanghai park are absolutely nuts.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Had an awesome time at Epcot last night. Good friends of ours treated our little group of friends(15 of us) to the Candlelight processional and dinner at the German buffet restaurant, first time I've ever been and the food was awesome! Then as an added surprise we got a private desert party along the water to watch the fireworks! Any idea how much something like that costs to do? There was 15 of us and we had coffee and various deserts in a little roped off VIP area almost dead center of the fireworks right along the water.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

mattfl posted:

Had an awesome time at Epcot last night. Good friends of ours treated our little group of friends(15 of us) to the Candlelight processional and dinner at the German buffet restaurant, first time I've ever been and the food was awesome! Then as an added surprise we got a private desert party along the water to watch the fireworks! Any idea how much something like that costs to do? There was 15 of us and we had coffee and various deserts in a little roped off VIP area almost dead center of the fireworks right along the water.

Biergarten on it's own is like $50 a person sooo

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Yeah that sounds like a $1,000-$1,500 affair.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Abu Dave posted:

Biergarten on it's own is like $50 a person sooo

If Biergarten is $50/person just for food and we had 10 adults and we all had many many beers I can't imagine what the bill for dinner was lol. Is the desert something you can just call up Epcot and say you wanna do. I've seen stuff like that before but only for work like events, not for a just random group of people.

Mudcrab Merchant
Dec 28, 2008

Please pay in exact change.
Here's the link for the Illuminations Desert Party!

https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/dining/epcot/illuminations-sparkling-dessert-party/

It works like a dining reservation and I believe is $49 for adults and $29 for kids.

I have reservations for the Sparkling Lights dessert party tonight, since it's the last year for those!

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Mudcrab Merchant posted:

Here's the link for the Illuminations Desert Party!

https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/dining/epcot/illuminations-sparkling-dessert-party/

It works like a dining reservation and I believe is $49 for adults and $29 for kids.

I have reservations for the Sparkling Lights dessert party tonight, since it's the last year for those!

I did this in 2014. It was pretty great. Just be warned if it rains they move it to that building at the entrance of World Showcase, and then have you go to the roped off area for Illuminations. This happened to me, and was fine, it was just a bummer that I didn't get to hang outside for that atmosphere.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy
New security measures at the gates coming soon..

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

demonR6 posted:

New security measures at the gates coming soon..

Oh boy. Scanners and wands, probably.

Maybe they'll have a DSA PreCheck line for resort guests and passholders.

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

Super pumped to land at LAX in 2 days :shepface:

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Was in a meeting bored to wits end and the story appears on my newsfeed. It was obvious they used a photo taken of some airport gate where they had attack dogs and special forces types not WDW security. They could have used a better image but it was funny to say the least. But yes, wands and other measures are going to be implemented but they did not say when or where.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
:/

You have to imagine they're only doing this for a reason.

This week is going to be hell.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Some dude tried to smuggle his gun into Magic Kingdom earlier this month:

WDWInfo posted:

At 5:00 on Friday, December 4, a security guard at the park’s bag check noticed a bulge in Gerson’s pants as he waited in line. He joked that “the bulge was part of his anatomy” and then turned to walk away.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Apparently there's a subreddit where people claim they brought a concealed carry liscenced firearm into the parks also.

:shrug:

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Not like it was ever hard anywhere. No theme park I've been to except Six Flags has any security except a bag check during regular operating hours (and Cedar Point doesn't even have metal detectors for their Halloween event), so anything that can be smuggled on the body can get through unless you're painfully obvious like he was. I'm willing to bet that tons of people have been carrying legally owned guns at Disney, Universal, Busch Gardens, Cedar Point, etc. simply by doing their job right and not making it obvious.

Edna Mode
Sep 24, 2005

Bullshit, that's last year's Fall collection!

As long as they don't start checking what's in my nalgene...

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Edna Mode posted:

As long as they don't start checking what's in my nalgene...

I remember taking a hydration pack to Disney a few years ago and the cast members were at a loss as to what it was. One or two needed a little convincing that no, it's not a backpack that needs to be searched.

They'll barely poke a stick into your purse and not check any of the pockets, but drat if they don't want to really make sure that your "backpack" is filled with nothing but loose water.

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse
The level of thoroughness with which my bag was searched varied wildly.

The guy at Universal barely looked at all.
Typically the Disney bag searchers would look in each pocket and wave me through.

Except one guy at EPCOT who went to town on my backpack for like 5 minutes.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

BlueBayou posted:

The level of thoroughness with which my bag was searched varied wildly.

The guy at Universal barely looked at all.
Typically the Disney bag searchers would look in each pocket and wave me through.

Except one guy at EPCOT who went to town on my backpack for like 5 minutes.

The Universal thing is my norm at both parks. It's really common to have a Disney guard (especially the elderly ones) who just poke a stick in, move it twice, and then go "Have a nice day!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
From what I understand, they are looking for weapons and costumes and that's about it.