Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

PleasingFungus posted:

man pages are completely unreadable. google forever

remember installing linux back before you had a smartphone and maybe only had one computer with an internet connection so if anything went wrong and you needed a reference, you'd have to like, go to the library?

me neither, but that's the last time man pages werent a waste of time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

USSMICHELLEBACHMAN posted:

1) i dont know the answers to their history of user interface questions but i dont really care, i think if i did care i could learn it pretty quickly

2) i'm more concerned with the || symbol on 2(a). does it have some special meaning or did a programming professor decide to just confuse people by arbitrarily using it there?

3) don't you guys have a haskell compiler you should be working on??

i think that || (or // ?) is just there randomly, maybe they copied lines from some comments in source somewhere

i am so loving tired though, bed time

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

A BRITISH girl was quizzed by cops after she was caught romping on a Virgin flight to Las Vegas.
The woman in her 20s — said to be travelling with her parents — had to be handcuffed to her seat after hurling abuse at crew who broke up her bonk in the bogs

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
what is romping?

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

What da fuck does that mean

Fun Shoe

what is romping?

I think it's British for loving

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

it is

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY

Janitor Prime posted:

it's British tabloid for loving

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

whats a bonk in the bogs

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

I think bogs is washroom but I would have guessed swamp.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

PleasureKevin posted:

I think bogs is washroom but I would have guessed swamp.

i think they would historically go out to take their shits in the swamp, and the name transferred

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

i bring an offering to the swamp gods.

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

bring us a good harvest this year hnnggg FFAARRRRTTT

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
"he goes down to the bog to warm his feet"

that line confused me for a long time, but i'm pretty sure it means he goes to the rest facilities, and his feet will be warm because his pants will be bunched up around his ankles while he's sitting on the toilet

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
english people are very bad at coming up with euphemisms and slang which is why they outsourced slang creation to the rest of the world

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
the dumbest thing about git is using SHA hashes instead of revision numbers

steve's clone of the repo is at ad55eabc1235678cde, yours is at c666e78392837dfff. who is ahead of who? by how much? how far in the past is revision fff666aaabbbccc6729beef?

linus torvalds is terrible.

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

awoken in control of a lucid deep dream...

Doc Block posted:

the dumbest thing about git is using SHA hashes instead of revision numbers

steve's clone of the repo is at ad55eabc1235678cde, yours is at c666e78392837dfff. who is ahead of who? by how much? how far in the past is revision fff666aaabbbccc6729beef?

linus torvalds is terrible.

we both have a copy of the repo. you do some work. i do some work. now we both have a revision claiming to be "r55" but what is the common ancestor? we both also have r54, r53, maybe r52 but those are different between our repos because we haven't pushed our changes yet.

if i push my changes, do your commits suddenly all increment in revision number? when and how does this happen?

what does "how far in the past" even mean? time? commits? source code diffs?

the way git does it is the only sensible way for a dvcs to do it

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

FamDav posted:

merging is actually p simple. if you have two commits c0 and c1 and a common ancestor a, you

calculate the diff of c0 and a and split that up into blocks of changes
calculate the diff of c1 and a and split that up into blocks of changes

you dont care about blocks that changed in neither diff
if a block changed in one diff but not the other, take the changed version
if it changed in both diffs but it changed to the same thing, just take the change
if it changed in both but the changes arent equivalent, then panic and tell the dev to fix it

i think theres 2 kinds of programmers. one kind reads this post and gets a boner. the other kind reads it and goes okay spock i don't care, tell me how to make git put my checkouts on the server

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Kevin Mitnick P.E. posted:

i think theres 2 kinds of programmers. one kind reads this post and gets a boner. the other kind reads it and goes okay spock i don't care, tell me how to make git put my checkouts on the server

aka normal programmers and female programmers

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

Dessert Rose posted:

we both have a copy of the repo. you do some work. i do some work. now we both have a revision claiming to be "r55" but what is the common ancestor? we both also have r54, r53, maybe r52 but those are different between our repos because we haven't pushed our changes yet.

if i push my changes, do your commits suddenly all increment in revision number? when and how does this happen?

what does "how far in the past" even mean? time? commits? source code diffs?

epoch timestamp it

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax

Dessert Rose posted:

but nobody uses git as a dvcs except the linux kernel devs. everyone else uses it as a github-centralized vcs where everyone has their own local staging copy, but none of these copies are considered canonical

edit: VV :rimshot:

JewKiller 3000 fucked around with this message at 02:32 on May 8, 2014

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

JewKiller 3000 posted:

but nobody uses git as a dvcs except the linux kernel devs. everyone else uses it as a github-centralized vcs where everyone has their own local staging copy, but none of these copies are considered canonical

that's not true. if you develop for ubuntu every repo is canonical

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

JewKiller 3000 posted:

edit: VV :rimshot:

you mean a technology was designed for a specific purpose and in the process of gaining wide adoption its purpose was perverted to something almost unrecognizable? you don't say

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

that's not true. if you develop for ubuntu every repo is canonical

AWWNAW
Dec 30, 2008

i'll have the unrecognizable purpose perversion plz

AWWNAW
Dec 30, 2008

Abstract interfaces and when to use them
Different .net frameworks and what your experience is with them. 
Random Problem-Solving Question that has been asked: you have 9 miles to go and everything you have is the same weight, except one is heavier than the rest, how do you determine which one it is the fastest? 
The backs of .NET and C# 
Form design and database design 
Is base call was on bottom or top of structure?
One specific questions pertaining to WCF-an operational contract that is a meditative attribute that you put on a class
How would you development is ASP.net 
Scenario Questions:
How would you deal with two libraries up to date, which would you choose? 
JQuerry? 
Knockout? 
What do you think of frameworks and which do you prefer? 
Some academic questions, difference between interface and abstract class 
MVC 
Object-oriented Q's-interfaces, Abstract classes

a recruiter sent me this today for a phone interview tomorrow so i am really hoping they ask me to describe the backs of .net and c# or if base call is power bottom or not or if i had to choose JerryQueery or Knuckout which one would i vote off the island?

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:

aka normal programmers and female programmers

im the casual sexism

AWWNAW
Dec 30, 2008

bobbilljim posted:

im the casual sexism

ur def p casual

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
OO seems overly convoluted but then again most things involving programming are

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
OO seems like a very natural way to program imo. only bad thing is how stateful it is

Tavistock
Oct 30, 2010

double sulk posted:

epoch timestamp it

im the trusting a client

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax

OO seems like a very natural way to program imo. only bad thing is how stateful it is

so use functional objects, where every time you would have updated some internal mutable state, you instead return a new copy of the object with the appropriate (immutable) fields given their new values. this sounds really inefficient, but since the objects are immutable, the language implementation doesn't actually need to copy anything you're not changing, it can just refer to the old one. might want to rethink your gc though. but congrats now it's not stateful anymore

you can do this and still discover that oop is not really that good

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

JewKiller 3000 posted:

you can do this and still discover that oop is not really that good

what is the best way to program tia

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

assembly

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

anime

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

verrrry carefully

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

rock out with your cock out

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

slam your head on the keyboard repeatedly and let the static analyzer fix everything for you

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010
not program
instead tell other people
and blame them when there's bugs

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?
"it's george costanza" ?>

BONGHITZ posted:

what will you do now?

be showered with praise from my peers and superiors while feeling completely ineffectual

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?
"it's george costanza" ?>

MeruFM posted:

not program
instead tell other people
and blame them when there's bugs

as tech lead you're ultimately responsible for every line of code that goes into your product and sometimes you have to lean on people if their area is getting out of control. there are some really uncomfortable discussions sometimes

• Locked thread