Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

For some reason, I feel like Arkham Horror is a game best enjoyed in cycles/campaigns, rather than as single packs. Then again, I feel the same way about most of the LCGs, so maybe I am just biased. Do we know if Dunwich Legacy is a small campaign or a lead into a long campaign?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

GrandpaPants posted:

For some reason, I feel like Arkham Horror is a game best enjoyed in cycles/campaigns, rather than as single packs. Then again, I feel the same way about most of the LCGs, so maybe I am just biased. Do we know if Dunwich Legacy is a small campaign or a lead into a long campaign?

I believe the entire cycle makes up the campaign so that it would be the start of one.

E: from here: https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2016/9/9/the-dunwich-legacy/
"The Dunwich Legacy doesn't just allow you to explore two new scenarios and their challenges; it serves as the introduction to the whole The Dunwich Legacy campaign, the subsequent chapters of which will be released in an upcoming cycle of Mythos Packs."

ChiTownEddie fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Dec 7, 2016

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

GrandpaPants posted:

I kinda agree with this. The game seems really at it's best when you build around a campaign (so the xp mechanics come into play) which is gonna make waiting for chapter packs even more of a pain. Although I did like how the Curse of the Rougarou is designed to be able to drop into any campaign so I'm hopeful we'll get more of those as well.

Zerf
Dec 17, 2004

I miss you, sandman

GrandpaPants posted:

In theory I agree but I cannot bring myself to wait and shelve this game for 8 months. Probably will play through Dunwich Legacy with a lot of investigators and just store the results/decks in akhamdb.com. Once my interest wanes a bit, I will probably wait half/whole cycles and batch-buy+play them.

Lump Shaker
Nov 20, 2001

Obama 2012 posted:

I would be shocked (shocked I say!) if we don't see some fancy custom acrylic tokens for Arkham Horror coming out of Team Covenant in the next few months. Their Star Wars Destiny set just came out, so I would expect this game to be next on their list.

I'm finding surprisingly few good storage options for AH. The box is too small for a Broken Token Insert, and shoe-box style white cardboard is just... boring.

You can use the broken token small box insert: http://www.thebrokentoken.com/compact-card-game-organizer/

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Oh, that looks pretty ideal.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

Has any nice person on BGG made a similar template to the Broken Token stuff and posted it? Not only are their products as expensive as the games themselves but international shipping makes them just ridiculous. I have a makerbar 2 blocks away and haven't gotten around to designing something like this on my own.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

For Lord of the Rings, I put each big box in an Ultra Pro deck box and each cycle in an acrylic deck box (these are slightly larger than the normal deck boxes). The player cards go into binders like any other LCG. Works well enough if I want to just do a campaign, and I'm probably going to do something similar for AH. I would not use the Broken Token stuff for an LCG, especially when longboxes already exist if you really need to organize them all in a way that makes it super easy for the box to tip over and spill all your cards on the floor.

Lump Shaker
Nov 20, 2001

GrandpaPants posted:

For Lord of the Rings, I put each big box in an Ultra Pro deck box and each cycle in an acrylic deck box (these are slightly larger than the normal deck boxes). The player cards go into binders like any other LCG. Works well enough if I want to just do a campaign, and I'm probably going to do something similar for AH. I would not use the Broken Token stuff for an LCG, especially when longboxes already exist if you really need to organize them all in a way that makes it super easy for the box to tip over and spill all your cards on the floor.

I agree with this actually. Binders for player cards is the way to go. Makes it a lot easier for deckbuilding. Then just use longboxes with dividers for the encounter cards. The Broken Token insert I have is nice for now, especially because the middle container holds all the tokens. But as the card pool gets bigger it won't be able to keep up.

PaybackJack - not sure, but check to see if someone has made one for some of the other FFG small box card games (Game of Thrones, Warhammer Adventure, etc.). Those should be comptabile.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Roland with Guard Dog out and Evidence! on hand, in a location with an Acolyte. Can I move Roland away, assign the attack of opportunity to the dog, kill the Acolyte and play the Evidence! in order to gather two clues as I waltz away?

I was proud of that but I'm not sure whether I got the timing right.

Zerf
Dec 17, 2004

I miss you, sandman

Fat Samurai posted:

Roland with Guard Dog out and Evidence! on hand, in a location with an Acolyte. Can I move Roland away, assign the attack of opportunity to the dog, kill the Acolyte and play the Evidence! in order to gather two clues as I waltz away?

I was proud of that but I'm not sure whether I got the timing right.

I think you played it correctly. AoO happens after you pay the cost but before resolving the effects of an action.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Jedit posted:

I'll take a look at it. This isn't a game I'm making GBS threads on to be edgy or contrarian, I really want it to be good and so far I've been very disappointed.

If it helps I have now done the opening learning scenario 3x (1x to learn, 2x with two diff friends to gauge an investment) and have won it 2 out of those 3. (Lost the first when my crony smashed my head in with a baseball bat from a failed attack).

Good card draws help, but there's some clever ways to manipulate things, and getting assets in front of you really does help out a whole lot. The game that went the smoothest I had the most cards setup in front of me. Knowing when to evade or fight also helps, because that can change the flow of the game a bunch.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2016/12/8/carnevale-of-horrors/

I wanna fight evil carnevals!

frgildan
Apr 6, 2005

I went some place mum and everyday I woke up in that place and told myself I'm alive and I was.

Ordered it as soon as I saw the link. I love how fast content for the game is being dropped.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE

This sounds really hard and really fun! I'm glad it's a straight up surprise release instead of just an announcement, too.

Probably going to order this immediately.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

So is there a site compiling the campaign/scenario instructions so that I don't have to keep these things around? Because they will definitely get lost.

theroachman
Sep 1, 2006

You're never fully dressed without a smile...
Another PoD expansion? Sucks that us Europeans will have to wait until it's available here.

By the way, played the Gathering for the first time today, I'm hooked! I'm going to tear through this stuff so fast, Dunwich can't come soon enough.

Zerf
Dec 17, 2004

I miss you, sandman
So a strange rules discussion surfaced on BGG:

Being eliminated or resigning from a scenario doesn't trigger the bad stuff on cards like Cover Up and Hospital Debts. These cards are placed in your threat area, even though you don't control them (at least that is my interpretation from "Weakness" in the rules reference). Since they are in your threat area, they are also discarded during Elimination: "4. All other cards in the eliminated investigator’s threat area are placed in the appropriate discard pile.".

So during scenario 2, with the rules as written: if you draw into Cover Up and/or Hospital Debts, as long as you resign, you can straight up ignore these weaknesses. I don't like it one bit.

Zerf fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Dec 8, 2016

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Zerf posted:

Being eliminated or resigning from a scenario doesn't trigger the bad stuff on cards like Cover Up and Hospital Debts. These cards are placed in your threat area, even though you don't control them (at least that is my interpretation from "Weakness" in the rules reference). Since they are in your threat area, they are also discarded during Elimination: "4. All other cards in the eliminated investigator’s threat area are placed in the appropriate discard pile.".

So, during scenario 2, with the rules as written, if you draw into Cover Up and/or Hospital Debts, as long as you resign, you can straight up ignore these weaknesses. I don't like it one bit.

"I'm outta here!" is now a must-include for Skids. (As if it weren't already)

Zerf
Dec 17, 2004

I miss you, sandman

ConfusedUs posted:

"I'm outta here!" is now a must-include for Skids. (As if it weren't already)

It was a good card to begin with, but as you say, now it's even better.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Zerf posted:

So during scenario 2, with the rules as written: if you draw into Cover Up and/or Hospital Debts, as long as you resign, you can straight up ignore these weaknesses. I don't like it one bit.

Alternatively, stick to the spirit of the rules and ignore this obviously unintended loophole.

Zerf
Dec 17, 2004

I miss you, sandman

Fat Samurai posted:

Alternatively, stick to the spirit of the rules and ignore this obviously unintended loophole.

But I hate badly written rules :mad:. Then again, since that is the case, I shouldn't bother with FFGs games :v:

I'm not even going to tell my SO about it, because I do think it detracts from the experience. But inside I'll suffer... and weep.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
Alternatively it makes a bit of sense thematically. If you're eliminated or run away, you're no longer around to be bothered about those things. No one can ask you any questions and/or come after you because you're either dead or missing. :v:

In Skid's case, if he loses all his health, the hospital is probably more than happy to take him in to accrue more debt!

Zerf
Dec 17, 2004

I miss you, sandman

Baron Fuzzlewhack posted:

Alternatively it makes a bit of sense thematically. If you're eliminated or run away, you're no longer around to be bothered about those things. No one can ask you any questions and/or come after you because you're either dead or missing. :v:

In Skid's case, if he loses all his health, the hospital is probably more than happy to take him in to accrue more debt!

I wouldn't mind if they were discarded when you are defeated. It's the resign bit I have trouble with: So Skids stops searching for cultists 10 minutes to 12 instead of 12 o'clock sharp? Well, obviously he how has more time on his hands, so he doesn't need to pay his debts :confused:

Anyway, not a big issue, I will house-rule it anyways.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Zerf posted:

I wouldn't mind if they were discarded when you are defeated. It's the resign bit I have trouble with: So Skids stops searching for cultists 10 minutes to 12 instead of 12 o'clock sharp? Well, obviously he how has more time on his hands, so he doesn't need to pay his debts :confused:

Anyway, not a big issue, I will house-rule it anyways.

It kinda makes sense to me-resigning seems more like you're just abandoning everything. So you got crazy cultists after you, hospital bills piling up, maybe being chased by some otherworldly horror? All the sudden I'm outta here and you skip town, lay low for awhile and regroup.

Also I'm almost tempted to try to pick up the FFG investigator figures to move around locations for this, but it seems they're missing a bunch. I'm assuming all the investigators they add will be pulled from the Arkham games anyways but having some and not others just wouldn't do at all.

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012

So freaking ordered. Nice surprise release. Very grateful to be where i can order them because yeah. Such a long swing from release to actual stores getting them :/

theroachman
Sep 1, 2006

Zerf posted:

Yeah but you need to find a card that allows you to use the Resign action. I don't know if there are any of those in the Act or Agenda decks, but otherwise it's limited to "I'm outta here". There's no other way to resign afaik. On top of that, if you resign you get the neutral to mildly negative 'no resolution' result of the scenario and you don't advance the story.

The other way to avoid weaknesses is to get eliminated, but that means you take permanent damage to your investigator.

Weakness cards are positioned firmly in the 'random bullshit' category anyway, so I don't mind that there is a way to mitigate them.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

theroachman posted:

Yeah but you need to find a card that allows you to use the Resign action. I don't know if there are any of those in the Act or Agenda decks, but otherwise it's limited to "I'm outta here". There's no other way to resign afaik. On top of that, if you resign you get the neutral to mildly negative 'no resolution' result of the scenario and you don't advance the story.

The other way to avoid weaknesses is to get eliminated, but that means you take permanent damage to your investigator.

Weakness cards are positioned firmly in the 'random bullshit' category anyway, so I don't mind that there is a way to mitigate them.

The learning scenario; The Gathering, has a resign action on one of the location cards.

Zerf
Dec 17, 2004

I miss you, sandman

theroachman posted:

"I'm Outta Here!" only works if there is an existing "resign" action in play, you cannot use it otherwise. But so far, all scenarios have one I think? And resigning can def. advace the story, and it's not always negative. Play more of the core :)

But yeah, it's no biggie, but I thought people should know and I'm still going to house-rule it to avoid boring cheese moves.

Kerro
Nov 3, 2002

Did you marry a man who married the sea? He looks right through you to the distant grey - calling, calling..
Just played scenario one of Arkham Horror and really enjoyed it - this is definitely what I was looking for after burning out a bit on the LotR LCG. Pretty sure we got everything right except for one thing I wasn't totally sure about (and couldn't seem to get this clarified from the rulebook): Using 'Elusive' which disengages you from enemies, do the enemies get an attack of opportunity against you since it's not an Evade or Fight card? I'm assuming not since that would make it kinda useless but wasn't entirely clear. Also, the cards that let you spend resources to improve a skill I presume you can trigger as many times as you can/wish to pay for them?

Zerf
Dec 17, 2004

I miss you, sandman

Kerro posted:

Just played scenario one of Arkham Horror and really enjoyed it - this is definitely what I was looking for after burning out a bit on the LotR LCG. Pretty sure we got everything right except for one thing I wasn't totally sure about (and couldn't seem to get this clarified from the rulebook): Using 'Elusive' which disengages you from enemies, do the enemies get an attack of opportunity against you since it's not an Evade or Fight card? I'm assuming not since that would make it kinda useless but wasn't entirely clear. Also, the cards that let you spend resources to improve a skill I presume you can trigger as many times as you can/wish to pay for them?

1) Elusive is a 'Fast' card, and therefore doesn't trigger AoO (see 'Fast' in the Rules Reference)
2) You can use them as many times as you like, since those cards are not exhausted when you use their ability

Kerro
Nov 3, 2002

Did you marry a man who married the sea? He looks right through you to the distant grey - calling, calling..
Ah yeah I'd read but forgotten that part about Fast cards. Good to know we were playing correctly.

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

I really hope FFG work out a way to make POD sets easily available in Europe.

Obama 2012
Mar 28, 2002

"I never knew what hope was until it ran out in a red gush over my lips, my hands!"

-Anne Rice, Interview with the President

theroachman posted:

Another PoD expansion? Sucks that us Europeans will have to wait until it's available here.

You want a copy? I plan to swing by the FFG store tomorrow and they usually have their POD expansions out on the rack. PM me an address and I'll see what I can do.

theroachman
Sep 1, 2006

How much would shipping to Belgium cost me? Rougarou + Carnivale

Obama 2012
Mar 28, 2002

"I never knew what hope was until it ran out in a red gush over my lips, my hands!"

-Anne Rice, Interview with the President

theroachman posted:

How much would shipping to Belgium cost me? Rougarou + Carnivale

I sent you a PM about it.

I'm beginning to appreciate more Arkham's relationship between theme and mechanics. Arcane Initiate enters play with a doom token, which means however useful her powers are you're going to want to sacrifice her sooner or later.

I'd love it if future expansions allowed Agnes to run her own little cult of disturbed acolytes that she constantly throws under the bus to take damage for her.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Yeah, one of the really neat things about this iteration of Arkham Horror is how much the game will be able to flesh out the investigators via new cards and new scenarios.

Zerf
Dec 17, 2004

I miss you, sandman

Obama 2012 posted:

I sent you a PM about it.

I'm beginning to appreciate more Arkham's relationship between theme and mechanics. Arcane Initiate enters play with a doom token, which means however useful her powers are you're going to want to sacrifice her sooner or later.

I'd love it if future expansions allowed Agnes to run her own little cult of disturbed acolytes that she constantly throws under the bus to take damage for her.

Not necessarily. Whenever an agenda advances, you clear all doom tokens on all cards, including Arcane Initiate. This also leads to the following: if you play AI when you know the agenda is going to advance next round, the extra doom counter does nothing, since agendas only can advance at a specific point during the Mythos phase unless otherwise specified.

But sure, sacrifice is also a good option :getin:

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
My copy of Carnivale came in the mail for Arkham Horror! It requires three experience per player to play, god drat. That's like half a scenario. I still don't know where to place it in the campaign or if my friend and I should just do it as a standalone story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jadarx
May 25, 2012

BJPaskoff posted:

My copy of Carnivale came in the mail for Arkham Horror! It requires three experience per player to play, god drat. That's like half a scenario. I still don't know where to place it in the campaign or if my friend and I should just do it as a standalone story.

FFG sent me two of the Rougarou pack instead of the Carnivale one. :arghfist: :cthulhu: So unless FFG wants me to sent it back to fix my order, I'l have an extra one for someone who wants cheap shipping.