Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

Azran posted:

Stores in Argentina seem to be pretty devoid of PC games. They are hella cheap in comparison to console games (8 pesos = 1 dollar. 1000 pesos is a new console game from last year. 250 is the highest you will see for a PC game in a store.)

Also tons of 1C games.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

:raise:

1000 / 8 = . . . . 125 :stonk: What the hell?! I knew the taxes for importing hardware were nuts, but holy poo poo.

No wonder they keep defaulting. :rimshot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Lance Streetman posted:

Game prices outside of The US and Japan are insane in general. As I understand it, Australians regularly pay anywhere from 90 to over 100 AUD for stuff that we get for 50-60 dollars. And keep in mind that the Australian Dollar is about equal to the US dollar.

Keep in mind that Australian minimum wage is also much higher than in the US.

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug
Just saw that Vector Thrust hit the store today:
http://store.steampowered.com/app/242130/

Described as a highly customizable/flexible fast-paced action-arcade combat flight simulator. Seems like it'll have battles against massive flying fortresses (ala Ace Combat?), so that really piques my interest.
Might take the plunge, and post some impressions. It's Early Access, so I'd assume there's not much content yet.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

A parfait is a dessert, but it is also the French word for perfect.

GENDERWEIRD GREEDO posted:

Keep in mind that Australian minimum wage is also much higher than in the US.

I don't see how a slightly higher minimum wage justifies charging 40+ extra dollars for digital releases. You're not covering import costs or anything.

Liquid Penguins
Feb 18, 2006

by Cowcaster
Grimey Drawer
I don't think zoe liked my review of her lazy flash game because she manually revoked my account's access to it. :lol:

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Liquid Penguins posted:

I don't think zoe liked my review of her lazy flash game because she manually revoked my account's access to it. :lol:

Good.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Liquid Penguins posted:

Lazy flash game?

You probably deserved it.

Bobby The Rookie
Jun 2, 2005

Liquid Penguins posted:

lol
You were actually supposed to sleep with her before you reviewed it, that's why that happened.

mr. nobody
Sep 25, 2004

Net contents 12 fluid oz.

computer parts posted:

I don't know about games but electronics in China are horrific. a basic iPhone that costs $650 in the US costs the equivalent of ~$750 over there.

A 15% markup on a physical item is not very horrific compared to the 50-100% markup on a digital download in other countries, which you quoted.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Kragger99 posted:

Described as a highly customizable/flexible fast-paced action-arcade combat flight simulator. Seems like it'll have battles against massive flying fortresses (ala Ace Combat?), so that really piques my interest.
Might take the plunge, and post some impressions. It's Early Access, so I'd assume there's not much content yet.

It's totally an Ace Combat clone (this is a good thing, BTW), with full modding support. Even in early Alpha builds, there were already Ace Combat mods that included the proper aircraft skins, music, sounds, etc. Haven't played it in a few months. Wonder how much has changed since its original Desura launch?

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Drifter posted:

Lazy flash game?

You probably deserved it.

He totally deserved it, dude. :hellyeah:

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
Please don't make fun of Zoe's game. She worked very hard on it... if you know what i mean :mrgw:

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I think she's just trying to run a quarantine. Kind of sucks for us though.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Eh. It's a free game. Written reasonably well for a CYOA book, given its content.

I'm just guessing that with his usage of that descriptor he was probably focusing on things other than the game itself.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
I started playing Ys Origins and now I'm glad I bought it because the game is great. It's kind of a blue car syndrome since I've played shitload of Dark Souls over the past few months but they definitely have something in common!

please don't beat me

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

lordfrikk posted:

I started playing Ys Origins and now I'm glad I bought it because the game is great. It's kind of a blue car syndrome since I've played shitload of Dark Souls over the past few months but they definitely have something in common!

please don't beat me

It's like Dark Souls meets Mario, but with a Legend of Zelda twist!!!

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

lordfrikk posted:

please don't beat me

If it's anything like Ys 1, nightmare mode bosses will actually be more difficult than Dark Souls.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

Accordion Man posted:

Yo, Dishonored is free this weekend and is a fantastic game.

Make sure to buy the Game of the Year Edition, the Daud DLC campaign is a must play along with the base game.

Do you know if the GOTY edition is worth it? I don't care about multiplayer.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

YES. It has no multiplayer and it is so so worth it.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Lance Streetman posted:

I don't see how a slightly higher minimum wage justifies charging 40+ extra dollars for digital releases. You're not covering import costs or anything.
Australia's minimum wage is 16.87 AUD which is about $15.70 USD. US mimimum wage in most states is less than half of that, that's a bit more than "slightly." I know Australians love bitching about their high prices, and it's to some degree warranted in cases like these where it's an entirely digital product, but it's a very unique situation that has nothing in common with the prices in developing countries.

Sighence
Aug 26, 2009

Tell me about Kinetic Void. I'm liking the idea but I've been burned too much on early access before to buy it without recommendation even at $5.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

Jesus Christ the DLC is so good. It's VERY much worth it.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I bit the bullet on Ziggurat, and it's... lacking. Decent concept, but I'm only like an hour in and the limited content is already sort of boring. It also makes a classic Roguelite mistake of not having enough interesting stuff to choose for your character outside of repetitive iterative character unlocks.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Sighence posted:

Tell me about Kinetic Void. I'm liking the idea but I've been burned too much on early access before to buy it without recommendation even at $5.

It's made by goons and has fairly regular updates so I think it's worth supporting, but it's definitely early access. There's a thread on SA that'll give you a good idea of what the game is like.

Strong Mouse
Jun 11, 2012

You disrespect us. You drag corpses around. You steal, and you hurt feelings!

RRRRRRRAAAAARGH!

Prepare to die!

Eruonen posted:

It's made by goons and has fairly regular updates so I think it's worth supporting, but it's definitely early access. There's a thread on SA that'll give you a good idea of what the game is like.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3634824

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

A parfait is a dessert, but it is also the French word for perfect.

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

Australia's minimum wage is 16.87 AUD which is about $15.70 USD. US mimimum wage in most states is less than half of that, that's a bit more than "slightly." I know Australians love bitching about their high prices, and it's to some degree warranted in cases like these where it's an entirely digital product, but it's a very unique situation that has nothing in common with the prices in developing countries.

It would be understandable if it was an equivalent markup on a physical product. But charging almost twice as much based on a minimum wage difference of about 9-10 bucks is ridiculous for a physical product, let alone a digital one. Not to mention that the US minimum wage is stupidly low compared to the standard price of living here. It's price gouging, no matter how you try to justify it.

Eruonen posted:

If it's anything like Ys 1, nightmare mode bosses will actually be more difficult than Dark Souls.

Nothing in Ys Origin is nearly as annoying as the boss battles in Ys 1.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Lance Streetman posted:

Cost of living, purchasing power, etc. Games don't cost $5 in Poland or whatever just because there aren't taxes.

It's not slightly higher, Australian minimum wage can be twice as much (~$17) depending on where you live.

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Aug 22, 2014

Danith
May 20, 2006
I've lurked here for years

Lance Streetman posted:

Game prices outside of The US and Japan are insane in general. As I understand it, Australians regularly pay anywhere from 90 to over 100 AUD for stuff that we get for 50-60 dollars. And keep in mind that the Australian Dollar is about equal to the US dollar.

Don't their jobs pay like way more than US jobs though?

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug

Kragger99 posted:

Impressions: First - the menu options seem really sluggish with my gamepad. Not sure if there's an issue there.

Played a few missions - first 2 were against AI, and were decent. The controls felt a tad sluggish compared to Ace Combat and JASF. Also the turning felt much slower even when using the air brake, so tracking was a bit tough. One mission was at dusk, and the sky was filled with stars. Looked really neat. Liking the cell-shading too. Then I tried a custom one against a massive bomber I had to take down before it left the air space of the mission. Then the game crashed.

Yup - Early Access, but the playable part is decent so far. Either I need to get a better understanding of the controls, or they need to make some tweaks.

EDIT - gave another try on the fortress mission. Failed it 5 times in a row. My jet has no chaff/flares, thus the fortresses constant firing at me is quite difficult to avoid. Also the controller is constantly drifting all over (like in the menus). So either my controller is bad (doubt it, as I've been playing pool and pinball lately, which require precise controls), or there's something wrong with the input settings. Lastly when I tried to quit the game, I got a big runtime error that I needed to go into the system manager to close.

The game has quite a bit of potential, but it's frustrating to me right now.
Will keep an eye on how it progresses.

Kragger99 fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Aug 22, 2014

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

Yeah but if you look at purchasing power it's close to 9.50 or so iirc. It's impressive but less than you'd think.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

Cost of living, purchasing power, etc. Games don't cost $5 in Poland or whatever just because there aren't taxes.

It's not slightly higher, Australian minimum wage can be twice as much (~$17) depending on where you live.
Oh okay cool how come its only software with the price difference tho? eg http://www.economist.com/content/big-mac-index

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

The Iron Rose posted:

Yeah but if you look at purchasing power it's close to 9.50 or so iirc. It's impressive but less than you'd think.

That's why the Big Mac index is so much handier for looking at pricing than the actual currency exchange rates.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
The AUD is currently overvalued too, since we're a stable country with a lot of really valuable rocks and people keep investing in us.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug
Really what it comes down to is that the new call of duty game is not worth 90 united states dollars no matter what your purchasing power is.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Brick and mortar stores keep stuff priced at $90 because that's the traditional price and that's what people are willing to pay and stores like EB and JBHifi are doing roaring trades in video games and not suffering massively.

Wait, I meant the opposite of that.

AlbertRayon
Sep 9, 2004

Hey, hey what can I do? I got a woman, she won't be true.
Just stop paying that much and it will stop costing that much.

DoctorOfLawls
Mar 2, 2001

SA's Brazilian Diplomat

Delusibeta posted:

TikiOne Steam Cleaner gets rid of the DirectX and similar gubbins Steam insists on downloading. Nice way to get rid of a few megabytes of junk.

Apparently this website has been offline for quite a while - does anyone know whether this program, or a similar tool, is still available somewhere?

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

Turtlicious posted:

I think she's just trying to run a quarantine. Kind of sucks for us though.

criticism can lead to depression you big meanie

MussoliniB
Aug 22, 2009
This is a stupid thing to care about, but it's one of my only perfected games! I unlocked all the achievements for DuckTales, and the last one, while I have it unlocked, is not being updated on my library page, and is, therefore, not registering as a completed game. Is there any way to fix this? The Steam forums are little to no help.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

ALSO "Based on the evidence received over a 12 month inquiry, the Committee has concluded that in many cases, the price differences for IT products cannot be explained by the cost of doing business in Australia. Particularly when it comes to digitally delivered content, the Committee concluded that many IT products are more expensive in Australia because of regional pricing strategies implemented by major vendors and copyright holders."
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/technology/personal-tech/australians-pay-50-per-cent-more-for-tech-goods/story-e6frgazf-1226687429151

• Locked thread