Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I prefer to do things that are about my level but no matter what you do, you'll end up overlevelled eventually if you're thorough. There's simply no avoiding it. How many you do before dealing with the plot is just a matter of how fast you want to beat the game, so far as I can tell. Only ones that seem to auto fail are ones that happen as a part of a quest line or during a quest (for example if you don't take up the offer to play a gwent tournament during a certain quest, it's gone forever).

I find myself with quests way below my level fairly frequently, and I figure it'll become increasingly common as I go due to the fact that the pace of my leveling far outstrips the pace of my questing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godmachine
Sep 5, 2004

I am beyond God.
I am Human.
I didn't play the first two Witcher games. Would I miss out on much if I jumped right into Wild Hunt or should I play the first two?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

You'll miss some stuff, but so far I've seen way more book references than game references. You'll have no idea who Ciri is even if you played the last two games. You should play the other games anyway though because they're good.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
Nah just play Wild Hunt.

Godmachine
Sep 5, 2004

I am beyond God.
I am Human.

Manatee Cannon posted:

You'll miss some stuff, but so far I've seen way more book references than game references. You'll have no idea who Ciri is even if you played the last two games. You should play the other games anyway though because they're good.

turtlecrunch posted:

Nah just play Wild Hunt.

Oh god, what do I do!?

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!
Would like to be able to add my own notes to the map in game. I've found a few large monster hangouts in the middle of nowhere I'll probably never remember to go back and snuff out later when I'm higher level.

Flumpus
Jul 22, 2007

cat doter posted:

Yo is anyone getting semi frequent stuttering in game on AMD cards? I've got the game installed on an SSD and it loads crazy fast, so that's not the bottleneck, but it kinda frequently stutters when I'm on my horse or whatever. I've tried googling about the issue but most of the advice out there is basically "fix your poo poo". My poo poo is fixed. I'm running an R9 290 with a mixture of ultra and high, runs at about 50-60fps but sticks closer to 60 usually.

Not completely sure if what I'm seeing is what you're seeing, but small drops in fps, even if it's just from 60 to 55, look jittery to me. I was also sticking with 60fps most of the time, occasionally dipping into the mid to lower 50s, but went ahead and lowered a couple settings to maintain 60 as much as possible. Have you tried lowering it to see if you get a solid 60 all the time, if you still see it?

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Godmachine posted:

I didn't play the first two Witcher games. Would I miss out on much if I jumped right into Wild Hunt or should I play the first two?

Jump straight into Wild Hunt and ask here if there's anything you're wondering about.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

I'm jumping into Wild Hunt and it's not impossible to figure out what's going on overall. There's a couple weird loving names but Google helps me with those.

Archimago
Jun 18, 2014

I just want to nom on Merrill
Things I learned from The Witcher: Tyromancy is, in fact, A Thing.

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!
Invisible wall around the south side of that weird huge tree in Velen. :mad:

Pigbottom
Sep 23, 2007

Time is never wasted when you're wasted all the time.

Sauer posted:

Would like to be able to add my own notes to the map in game. I've found a few large monster hangouts in the middle of nowhere I'll probably never remember to go back and snuff out later when I'm higher level.

me too. would be nice to also be able to mark where you can find plants.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Skeezy posted:

I'm jumping into Wild Hunt and it's not impossible to figure out what's going on overall. There's a couple weird loving names but Google helps me with those.

Alternatively, read the in game journal. It won't explain everything but it gives you a fair amount of background info on all of the important characters.

Though the beastiary can spoil some things occasionally, like how it shows that the Crones have weaknesses and are thus going to be a fight at some point in the game.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Manatee Cannon posted:

Alternatively, read the in game journal. It won't explain everything but it gives you a fair amount of background info on all of the important characters.

Though the beastiary can spoil some things occasionally, like how it shows that the Crones have weaknesses and are thus going to be a fight at some point in the game.

Oh yeah that's also helpful.

It's neat how reading the in game glossary is so useful and required it feels like.

Archimago
Jun 18, 2014

On another note, those of us in the IRC channel have thrown this together: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1vHA5S9S91avPcVPp42kb0t3stc4ZRDAdWbYqbLV-5Fw/edit?usp=sharing

It's not a very extensive list so feel free to add to it. Weird bugs, unexpected quest progression, funny screenshots, whatever. Just keep the spoilers to a minimum unless it's needed. If so, use black text/black highlight to spoiler it.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Skeezy posted:

Oh yeah that's also helpful.

It's neat how reading the in game glossary is so useful and required it feels like.

Yeah I'm constantly going back to read stuff in it, including the updates to profiles. It's cool. I almost never look into that stuff in games.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

If I go to skellige are the quests that remain in novigrad etc. gone or can I pick them up whenever?

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers

Flumpus posted:

Not completely sure if what I'm seeing is what you're seeing, but small drops in fps, even if it's just from 60 to 55, look jittery to me. I was also sticking with 60fps most of the time, occasionally dipping into the mid to lower 50s, but went ahead and lowered a couple settings to maintain 60 as much as possible. Have you tried lowering it to see if you get a solid 60 all the time, if you still see it?

Yeah, the stutter seems to be constant regardless of settings. I'm not entirely sure what's going on since there's no bottlenecks that would cause it in my system, but it's possible it's an issue that will magically disappear with new drivers or a patch.

I love playing the "when will AMD loving get off their asses and release loving drivers already god loving damnit" game.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Son of Rodney posted:

If I go to skellige are the quests that remain in novigrad etc. gone or can I pick them up whenever?

Skellige is just another area, you're not locked out of anything by going there.

Archimago
Jun 18, 2014

Just had a random ! event with three elves and a merchant, one elf was voiced by Iorveth VA and another by Roche VA. I sided with them against the merchant just because of that.

Also, it appears some of the ! events aren't guaranteed to stick around. I ignored one and went back later and there was no one there. The one involving a nobleman being hassled on the docks in Novigrad. I was doing better things.

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!
A forktail, a forktail on PCP, a cyclopes, skull level Harpies, and numerous wyverns all in one area. I think the game is telling me I came to the wrong neighborhood.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Broken Cog posted:

if it's the one I think it is, look for a cellar door on the south side of the area there.

Thanks, that was it

Chuf
Jun 28, 2011

I had that weird dream again.

Archimago posted:

Things I learned from The Witcher: Tyromancy is, in fact, A Thing.

Holy poo poo there's a tyromancer in this game?! Tyromancy has always been my go-to for weirdo seer-type characters in my DnD campaigns. Please spoil me and tell me where they are.

GatewayOfLastResort
Oct 11, 2007

I'm saving up such a laugh.
I'm doing the family matters quest and trying to save the stablehand. However, every time I try to open the main stable gate I get stuck on a loading screen with no progress bar. Any ideas on how to get around this?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Is the crossbow just worthless? It doesn't seem to do any meaningful damage.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

The Lone Badger posted:

Is the crossbow just worthless? It doesn't seem to do any meaningful damage.
It's really good underwater.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
Knocks flying creatures out of the sky.

Kills poo poo underwater.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

It's your only source of damage while swimming, plus it knocks flying enemies down. You can upgrade to better crossbows and better bolts as well. It'll never do equivalent damage to your swords though.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
How can you tell if armor is upgradeable? I don't want to be dismantling poo poo I'll want later.

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

I have played the games in this series probably for a collective 45 minutes and I am now about to launch into the Witcher 3. Watch along, maybe?

http://www.twitch.tv/dork_rex

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

I dunno if you're keeping a list Comte, but would it be possible to add an option for Hairworks to disable the physics for Geralt's hair, but keep 'em for everything else?

Looks great on monsters, but there're some performance issues when the camera cuts too close to Geralt's hair.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I just got to Velen and I'm like level 5 and everything seems way higher level than me

i must have done something way wrong

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Eonwe posted:

I just got to Velen and I'm like level 5 and everything seems way higher level than me

Nope. I got to Velen at 4. Progress the main quest some, you'll get levels quick.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I'm not sure what you did to reach Velen above level 4, honestly. Doing every side quest will have you at about there when you reach the area.

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

Eonwe posted:

Nah, do some of the main quest and you'll hit 7-9 quickly and more of the sidequests will be doable.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Elderbean posted:

Nah, do some of the main quest and you'll hit 7-9 quickly and more of the sidequests will be doable.

Oh... I've been doing sidequests to try and get strong enough to attempt the main quest.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

As long as the level beside the quest is green you can probably manage it with some skill.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

The first main quests in Velen should be at around level 6 and you should start there. I don't think any quest goes under level 6 in Velen.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

Soul Glo posted:

How can you tell if armor is upgradeable? I don't want to be dismantling poo poo I'll want later.

Stuff labeled as Witcher gear is upgradeable. The chestpiece that Geralt starts with is upgradeable, for example. The major long-term ones are the Cat/Feline, Griffin, and Bear/Ursine sets available thru crafting and scavenger hunts.

Also, different topic - confirming that the crossbow owns bones when swimming and on flying targets. Harpies can be dodged and countered pretty easily, but it can save you some time to shoot them and finish them while they're on the ground. Especially if you get the weak-but-unlimited quarrels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Elderbean posted:

Got it I was doing -

The Lone Badger posted:

Oh... I've been doing sidequests to try and get strong enough to attempt the main quest.