Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
madmac
Jun 22, 2010

Fangz posted:

Yeah, there seems to be a potential for Beastmen to stall out if you've razed everything behind you but the next town you can reach is too strong to take. In contrast to Chaos which can just turn around and re-sack everything, you're pretty much hosed at that point.

Not to mention Chaos is the best castle storming faction in the game, between their legions of gold chevron Chosen and invincible Legendary Lords.

Beastmen OTOH, I can see having real issues with taking defended walled settlements, especially in the early to mid game. Add to the fact that bestial rage and brayherds penalize you for not staying on the offensive even if you're not bleeding money and the potential for things falling apart is a lot higher.

They have a lot of tricks but they're kinda inherently not the steam-rollers Chaos are once they get going.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
Going back to the dwarf campaign after I've played VC and empire is a huge downer. I t's unfortunate that so many play them first, because they're simply not as much fun to play as the other factions.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010
I actually like Dwarves a lot, aside from the hell that is enemy agents and assassination quests, but the Badlands is a bleak and boring place to be the focus of anyone's campaign. Once you get past the initial hump of beating down your arch-rival it has to be the least dynamic and interesting part of the campaign map.

It's good that they're adding Beastmen to the badlands, but I almost want to hold off entirely on playing Dwarves or Orcs again until they add Tomb Kings or Skaven or hell anything to make the southeast corner of the map less of a boring slog.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Thanks for the Chaos tips. My campaign's going much smoother, now.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

madmac posted:

Not to mention Chaos is the best castle storming faction in the game, between their legions of gold chevron Chosen and invincible Legendary Lords.

Beastmen OTOH, I can see having real issues with taking defended walled settlements, especially in the early to mid game. Add to the fact that bestial rage and brayherds penalize you for not staying on the offensive even if you're not bleeding money and the potential for things falling apart is a lot higher.

They have a lot of tricks but they're kinda inherently not the steam-rollers Chaos are once they get going.

Everything we have seen of beastmen indicates they need to have a fine balance between aggression and choosing advantageous battles. In addition to likely problems seiging, it also looks like they are going to have a rough time against armor, and potentially vulnerable to missile fire. I suspect they are going to be a bit more challenging to play well compared to the current factions.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

madmac posted:

I actually like Dwarves a lot, aside from the hell that is enemy agents and assassination quests, but the Badlands is a bleak and boring place to be the focus of anyone's campaign. Once you get past the initial hump of beating down your arch-rival it has to be the least dynamic and interesting part of the campaign map.

It's good that they're adding Beastmen to the badlands, but I almost want to hold off entirely on playing Dwarves or Orcs again until they add Tomb Kings or Skaven or hell anything to make the southeast corner of the map less of a boring slog.

Agreed on this, several billion tonnes of ork (and the freaking distances between everything) are a pain in the arse. It shouldn't tale me three turns on full running to get across as little of the badlands as I do.

Josef bugman fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Jul 23, 2016

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Why hasn't anyone modded in a slayer hero yet?

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012

John Charity Spring posted:

The Big Boss' main purpose is assassinations.

For a second I thought you were referring to the Metal Gear franchise

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

unwantedplatypus posted:

For a second I thought you were referring to the Metal Gear franchise

Holey moley this is of the biggest :thejoke: 's I've ever seen.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Please add 'Fulton' as a new skill for the Big Boss.

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012

Chomp8645 posted:

Holey moley this is of the biggest :thejoke: 's I've ever seen.

One would think if the joke was intentional he would have left out the "The".

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
imo if that joke wasn't intentional he should be banned.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

Chomp8645 posted:

imo if that joke wasn't intentional he should be banned.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Had a weird bug in my Empire campaign where my adviser gave me the message meant for Chaos when I completed one of my expansion goals. Warhammer doesn't kid around with this grimdark poo poo.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Ilustforponydeath posted:

Going back to the dwarf campaign after I've played VC and empire is a huge downer. I t's unfortunate that so many play them first, because they're simply not as much fun to play as the other factions.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

De boss' called for wet workz, an' we'z gobbos.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

How do I beat Varg as Chaos? They always chase me around with like 5 stacks and overrun the skaeling superfast.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

OTOH, VC was not fun at all after playing the Empire>Orc>Dwarf campaign. The Dwarf was the weaker of those 3 imo (though Ironbreakers really make up for the slow parts), but VC surprised me with how annoying the corruption mechanic was to deal with as themselves.

goodness fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Jul 23, 2016

TipsyMcStagger
Apr 13, 2013

This isn't where
I parked my car...
I quite liked the dwarf campaign. Ended up clearing out the south east side first while holding a defense army between barak vaar and Iron Keep for the non-stop orc raids. when I overtook all the stuff to the east of the impassable badlands swampy area and turned to crush the west, the rest of the game just fell into my dwarven steam roll.

I also found the fights simple with boxes of ironbreakers backed up by hammerers and artillery.. just wrecked everything.

Right now i'm finding the empire campaign a drudge fest.. decided to not risk it and just clear out britannia to the south and use a defense in the north. It's not an objective but it certain helped fund the armies to slaughter once I took over those drat french and brits. :)

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

ZoninSilver posted:

One way I can think of to make Chaos more tolerable that also seems to make sense lore-wise is if defeating Norscan armies actually INCREASED their diplomacy rating towards you. That way, once you've beaten the snot out of them for a while, they'll be amiable to making peace and allying with you. Having a relatively reliable way to ally with them would also allow you to set war targets for some decent allies, which would help a lot to give a sense of the north coming down to burn the world.

Just wanted to say that this is a loving fantastic idea. Is this even something that could be modded in though?

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

Just wanted to say that this is a loving fantastic idea. Is this even something that could be modded in though?

Straight up inversing the diplomacy penalty for killing their dudes sounds simple... but I expect is probably incredibly difficult. You'd have to ask an experienced modder.

I can have moments of... eccentricity and sometimes be quite curious about things. Please forgive me if I do something foolish or rude.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Having an army composed of Sigvald, five exalted heroes, a metal, death and fire wizard and three hellcannons it's a hell of an adventure.

I'd love to put a monstrous unit there if they weren't so hideous.

Thanqol
Feb 15, 2012

because our character has the 'poet' trait, this update shall be told in the format of a rap battle.

Mans posted:

Having an army composed of Sigvald, five exalted heroes, a metal, death and fire wizard and three hellcannons it's a hell of an adventure.

That sounds like a metal album cover.

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon
Playing orcs on hard, I'd echo what's been said about leadership and autoresolve making battle either a wipe or a button click victory, but it sure is satisfying when it comes together in a battle you didn't expect to win. Like if you actually manage to sandwich their troops or get just the right positioning with your troops and scrape a win, that feels great

Noir89
Oct 9, 2012

I made a dumdum :(

:stare: Skeletons sure are dedicated!

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Noir89 posted:

:stare: Skeletons sure are dedicated!

They definitely have backbone! :haw:

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

I say, hey, listen to me!
Stay sane inside insanity!!!
Is warhammer the setting where skeletons aren't really skeletons but amalgamations of bone dust and shards in the shape of skeletons?

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

There is no wealth like knowledge, no poverty like ignorance.

Mans posted:

SigvalD&D is one of the best parts of this game. I renamed my Sigvald "party" after Baldur's Gate characters and tooled them up to be master warriors. :D

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

So I know this is a super basic question 100+ pages in, but for Greenskins how do you garrison an army to increase obedience and protect a city without having them kill themselves with low fightiness?

Started my first game and had a real problem with my towns hovering at - 80 obedience all the time and the AI cruising by and sniping my cities if I didn't have an army there.

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

Schizotek posted:

Is warhammer the setting where skeletons aren't really skeletons but amalgamations of bone dust and shards in the shape of skeletons?

Nah, they're regular human skeletons.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Internet Explorer posted:

So I know this is a super basic question 100+ pages in, but for Greenskins how do you garrison an army to increase obedience and protect a city without having them kill themselves with low fightiness?

Started my first game and had a real problem with my towns hovering at - 80 obedience all the time and the AI cruising by and sniping my cities if I didn't have an army there.

If your fightiness gets too low there is a little button next to the meter which will have your warlord bash some boyz around to restore order. The end result is your fightiness goes back to medium and you take a bunch of attrition for one turn (which if you are in a town you can usually heal up in another turn).

Greenskins have a little bit of an obedience issue, but it's often better to just let them rebel and squash the rebellion army (you get a large obedience bonus because the 'rebels' all leave for the army). This helps with obedience for a while, gives your army fightiness, and gets you some xp and money. You can also build boss tents to add to your public order if you don't feel like keeping an army around to squash rebellions.

As for the AI cruising by and sniping your cities, you can build a garrison building and upgrade it and the AI will generally leave you alone (and once you upgrade it you get walls, so they need to siege it to take it giving you time to get an army there). All troops provided by the garrison building and the main town building are free of upkeep. Greenskins don't have a lot of great building options anyway, so I thought it was pretty easy to fit a garrison building in every town and settlement (generic setup for a non-recruiting province settlement is something like walls/money building/boss tent).

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Ah, I didn't realize there was a button to get it all over with in one turn. That's helpful. And good idea on letter the town rebel. I had built a couple of defenses, but not in every town, which looks like it may be worthwhile. Thanks for the suggestions!

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Schizotek posted:

That's Diablo.

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

goodness posted:

OTOH, VC was not fun at all after playing the Empire>Orc>Dwarf campaign. The Dwarf was the weaker of those 3 imo (though Ironbreakers really make up for the slow parts), but VC surprised me with how annoying the corruption mechanic was to deal with as themselves.

It's hardly a speedbump. Osmosis and hero abilities makes attrition negligible.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
VC were my favorite faction and most replayed because of all the different routes you can take, Corruption happiness penalty isn't really a penalty when you just crush the rebellions for money and loot and extra corpses, just make sure you let the rebellions fully stack up and don't just crush them at 80 unrest when they pop up because they are just going to reappear the next turn.

No ranged units in total war makes for a interesting playstyle of swarming and engulfing enemy armies and crushing the morale and raise dead to create and move armies on the same turn is absurdly strong in total war, it's sorta like the mercenary recruitment in previous games, but much, much cheaper with easier replenishment.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Internet Explorer posted:

just make a full stack goblin army and ignore the casualties

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

It's hardly a speedbump. Osmosis and hero abilities makes attrition negligible.

It was more annoying than an actual obstacle. The faction just wasn't too fun, but that's the good thing about multiple races.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Just build boss' tents everywhere because they're super good and get rid of all obedience and corruption problems.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

Nanomashoes posted:

Just build boss' tents everywhere because they're super good and get rid of all obedience and corruption problems.

Honestly this, boss poles are one of the most efficient buildings in the game, you should have them everywhere just by consequence of them being ridiculously good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Is there a mod that doesn't let the computer ignore zones of control on the campaign map? I have an army standing next to an allied town, literally cannot be any closer to it. The computer runs in with one army and sieges the town, and then attacks my army with their second army, and thus I'm forced to fight 2 AI armies while the allied army and its town garrison are all under siege.

It's loving ridiculous that they can just enter my zone of control and then somehow magically keep the allied army from rallying to fight with me.

• Locked thread