Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nages
Dec 31, 2011

Just yell at her like you always do. Bitch, get out of the way!

Hokuto posted:

Meeko became a darling of the group subsequently

This is pretty funny considering all she does for the entire game is get owned repeatedly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

AradoBalanga posted:

Here are the pages before that spread (which is all I have on hand from that part of the manga).

It looks more like Tasuku comes up with this batshit insane plan instead of Ryusei. And seemingly on the fly, no less.

Holy crap Elzam calm down :gonk:

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Hokuto posted:

It's not called "Well-Reasoned And Professionally Executed Blood."

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Hokuto posted:

Yeah, you can hear just how loudly both Tetsu Inada and Kappei Yamaguchi would be screaming just by looking at that spread. And it is glorious. :allears:

KoB
May 1, 2009
i feel like the drill in the back of the Gigan is a little overkill.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

Nages posted:

This is pretty funny considering all she does for the entire game is get owned repeatedly

Every man hurts the things they love.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"

Hokuto posted:

That's the one I was eyeing the most. There's also this SRW OG Chronicle I'm seeing, which looks like an anthology of side stories. Any opinions there? One of them has a pretty badass cover.

OG Chonicle has some fun side-stories. I think that's the one that has one where Gilliam's subordinates are not-Amuro and not-Kamen Rider Black and he summons his mech by yelling "CALL GESPENST" for all the Hero Senki in-jokes. Probably worth picking up.

The Divine Wars manga is...okay, but you got most of the experience by watching Divine Wars. And the artist just kind of has issues with hair in general.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Best SRW manga is still the one for 64

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

drrockso20 posted:

Best SRW manga is still the one for 64

I can't find it on Amazon though :(

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Hokuto posted:

I can't find it on Amazon though :(

no idea how to help you find physical copies of them, but I do have scans of them uploaded onto Imur;

Part 1

Part 2

enjoy

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"
Those aren't 1 and 2, those are like 5 and 6. I managed to track down a few of the earlier parts, but I think 4 is lost forever.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

MarsDragon posted:

Those aren't 1 and 2, those are like 5 and 6. I managed to track down a few of the earlier parts, but I think 4 is lost forever.

If you've still got the earlier parts mind sharing them?

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat
Any manga where Big Fire gets top billing is okay in my book.

Inferno-sama
Jun 5, 2015

You touch my burger, and I'll slap you so hard you won't even be able to understand how you fucked up.

Okay, who turned Super Robot Wars into James Bond? And forgot to include anime James Bond?

Davzz
Jul 31, 2008
I can drop some information on why you can't find that particular SRW 64 book on Amazon because I was looking into it recently - it's actually a doujin work (of the non-adult kind, in case that word brings up the wrong implications), which means Amazon doesn't carry it. I mean, I assume that's Amazon's policy.

So basically - if you really want it, you need to find a doujin speciality shop and likely a proxy service because I don't believe those ship overseas. The good news is that it had a 276 pages reprint compilation near the end of 2016, which means you don't have to run over the place to track individual chapters down - Toranoana has it in stock and Suguruya had it the last time I checked, but it's out of stock currently. The name of the item is "スーパーロボット大戦雷MK2&完結編"

Additional Trivia: I believe this is the doujin that introduced the concept of "Shin Godmars", a unit for Big Fire that he uses in this old Fan Animation video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFTPA8teIhs

Getsuya posted:

So would you say it's worth trying for $12?
I think I would say its value depends more on how much you like the Masou Kishin setting and characters rather than the gameplay value. For 12 bucks I guess it can't hurt to try it out.

Samurai Sanders posted:

I still dunno how one guy (or does he have a small team?) makes a game like this at all.
Team but I'm still impressed anyway - I'm not even that huge a Touhou fan (in fact, FMW got me into the series) and it's still somehow a better finale than Z3 in most every way.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013

Davzz posted:

I think I would say its value depends more on how much you like the Masou Kishin setting and characters rather than the gameplay value. For 12 bucks I guess it can't hurt to try it out.

I really only know them from Alpha, so I'd probably need to look up some kind of crash course in the story before diving in to part 3 but I'm definitely going to pick it up because I like fantasy mecha stories like Escaflowne and Magic Knight Rayearth.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I'm glad more SRW style doujin games are coming out but I wish they were for franchises I cared about

What I'm saying is I want Battle Moon Wars 2

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
So if I've only played V, what are some other good SRW games to look into? Either in English or with a fan translation. I know some came out in English on the GBA at one point I wanna say? Are they any good?

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Zore posted:

So if I've only played V, what are some other good SRW games to look into? Either in English or with a fan translation. I know some came out in English on the GBA at one point I wanna say? Are they any good?

OG 1 and OG 2 came out on GBA in english and I like them a lot, despite OG 2's terrible HP Sponge bosses.

J on gba was fan translated and is pretty good, despite endless reinforcements every stage. Good originals, and pretty cool secrets.

Alpha Gaiden on PS1 was translated: a side-story of the Alpha series taking place in a timeline where the heroes couldn't prevent the Apocalypse, it's got a fun story and great PS1-style animations but is quite difficult and has some really weird mechanics due to being pretty early in the series.

OG 2nd on PS3 is super great and, while technically in japanese, someone's translated the entire story online so you can just read it as you go.

OG Moon Dwellers, for PS4, has been translated in english like V, although the translation quality isn't as good. I haven't played it yet, not having a PS4. :(

Davzz
Jul 31, 2008

Zore posted:

I know some came out in English on the GBA at one point I wanna say? Are they any good?
OG 1 and OG 2 on the GBA are actually pretty good from a gameplay perspective IMO. It has a nice remake that compiles them into one game on the PS2 called OGs (though I think the gameplay becomes a bit too easy in that version because you get a lot of new options but the enemy hasn't really improved to keep up) but it was never translated.

So this is where it gets awkward but the current latest game in that series, OG Moon Dwellers, does have an English translation, but the translation standards is pretty terrible and there are 2 games in between that never got translated either.

OGs -> OG Gaiden -> OG 2nd -> OG Moon Dwellers

Despite them trying to sell Moon Dwellers as a standalone, I really really think you lose a lot if you don't know what happens in OG 2nd, at least, but I believe OG 2nd does have a script translation so that might help a bit..

Not really much choice for other games in English, unfortunately.

Alpha Gaiden: It's a sequel sidestory to Alpha 1, but around 10 stages in and the Alpha 1 connections basically doesn't matter anymore due to the way the plot unfolds. Difficulty wise, I find it one of the better SRW entries in that department and it kinda assumes that you've played SRW before, which shouldn't be an issue.

J: This is the game that OG Moon Dwellers based most of its plot off. I think it's really tedious and almost entirely superceded by W on the DS, which uses a lot of the same series, but I guess if you want English language it's slim pickings. It might increase enjoyment of Moon Dwellers though.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
SRW J for GBA was translated, but it's not as good as other SRW games for plot and mechanical reasons.

Alpha Gaiden had a fan translation on PS1 and it's a fantastic game.
Super Robot Taisen Original Generation and Original Generation 2 were official, Atlus-translated GBA games. OG1 is pretty good and OG2 is incredible.

There's also SRW1, 2, and 3 but those games are better off remembered as historically significant without needing to subject yourself to their... "old school" designs.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
HOW DID WE ALL POST IN THE SAME MINUTE

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

There are also great LPs of Z2.1, Z, W and OGs in the archive that you could use to play those games (I did).

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Broken Loose posted:

HOW DID WE ALL POST IN THE SAME MINUTE

The power of friendship.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Cool, yeah the LPs are what got me interested in the series to begin with so I was stoked about V having an English script.

Sucks that is seems most of the games in the series don't have any kind of fan translation, I was kinda hoping for that after how addicted I got to playing V. I'll definitely check out the OG games for the GBA though.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

MonsieurChoc posted:

There are also great LPs of Z2.1, Z, W and OGs in the archive that you could use to play those games (I did).

I tried to use the LP to play through Z. I got through one chapter before the Japanese menus broke my brain.

But alright, among people who have played some of the Japanese only games, what is the best SRW?

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
Out of all of them my pick is 2ndOGs. Great animations on every unit, mechanically solid with pretty good balance, great music, wild ride all round and I think the difficulty is just right. The only not great bit is the Masoukishin routes at the start, but even then they're aren't bad and you get Mio. Its been my go to SRW and the one I've played the most.

Best proper SRW I think Z1 might be my pick? Any issues I have with the mechanics are personal hangups rather than actual faults. Great series list, OGs are good (Rand is incredible) and the handling of Destiny is what SRW is all about (other than mashing your favourite robots together).

I've not done NEO or any of the Alphas other than Gaiden and I think they're probably the other contenders for the top spot. I think W is good but much too easy, but thats an extremely subjective measure anyway!

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
I liked Alpha.

Of course that's the only one I've played through completely. Though I also like the OG series since t doesn't require as much old mecha show knowledge.

Davzz
Jul 31, 2008

ChrisBTY posted:

But alright, among people who have played some of the Japanese only games, what is the best SRW?
Concept / Story
W - Really good usage of series.

UX - This is kinda a niche choice, but I really like the completely non-traditional series list and how they tie it together.

Alpha 1 - Well OK, the quality of the writing specifics is kinda shoddy, but the cast list is basically the 90s dream list. Really broken but really fun if you know how to break it.

Z1 - this one probably fits in both categories actually but it has the best balance of story concept and probably the only squad system that isn't like pulling teeth compared to Alpha 2 and 3. (Edit: why did I write 1 and 2)

Gameplay
Alpha Gaiden / OGs - Wrote about them already.

NEO - SRW revamped as a gridless, 3D tactical game - it adds a lot of concepts like weapon properties to make more attacks have a niche, size mechanics that actually does affect the size of a unit as a game piece instead of just numerical bonuses and flanking mechanics which really encourage you to say, knock enemies around into each other and squeeze through their formation gaps with your smaller units so that you can surround them, dash through lines of enemies who are unfortunate to set themselves up just right and so on.

It's so fun I wish they didn't gently caress up its spiritual sequel OE.

Davzz fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Jun 7, 2017

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
I really wish a2 and 3 were more accessible than importing them and playing them on a PS2.
Maybe we could get 4 SRW LPers together and have them do a big collaboration covering all 4 routes for both games.
...and while I'm dreaming I'd also like them released in English on Steam.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Getsuya posted:

I really wish a2 and 3 were more accessible than importing them and playing them on a PS2.
Maybe we could get 4 SRW LPers together and have them do a big collaboration covering all 4 routes for both games.
...and while I'm dreaming I'd also like them released in English on Steam.

Clown Master from Alpha 3 is probably my favorite SRW Boss theme (and SRW has a lot of loving great boss themes)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uw_VmlBTvjo

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
Alpha 2 introduced me to In My Dream which is now my favorite mecha theme of all time despite never having watched Brain Powered. The J version is better than a2s but they're both awesome. I'd put up a link but I'm at work.

Also In My Dream is far and away the most overtly sexual anime song I've ever heard.
My runners-up are various incarnations of Last Impression and AI Senshi from A.

Edit: runners up for favorite SRW songs, not anime songs with sexual themes, that is.

KoB
May 1, 2009
W is still probably my favorite game so far, just from the series to the main characters and OG mech.

Z is probably 2nd after that, the series and crossover stuff is great and I really like the tri system (and Gunleon is cool as hell). I wish more PS2/PS3 games were playable on Ps4, I dont want to hook up decade old hardware just to fart around in Z for an afternoon.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I finally understand everything there is to know about axes!
There have also been some really amazing efforts to do LPs of some of the games, both translated and untranslated, recently and you can check those out if you want the story.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

drrockso20 posted:

If you've still got the earlier parts mind sharing them?

It looks like I have two extra parts. They're all zipped up on my Dropbox, let me know if the link doesn't work.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
and yet no LPs of battle moon wars

yes I'm going to keep talking about battle moon wars

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
If someone LPed that it would need to be the guy who LPed the VNs and he would need to rename all of the attacks to be breakfast cereals.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
Someone got through most of the game a few years ago before abandoning the LP. I remember because it was the first intro I had to SRW gameplay when I read it.

Also the craziness that is Fate/Stay Night and Tsukihime.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013

Blockhouse posted:

I'm glad more SRW style doujin games are coming out but I wish they were for franchises I cared about

What I'm saying is I want Battle Moon Wars 2

Actually I finally looked this up to see if they had put any of the cool spinoffs like Strange Fake or Apocrypha in there and you appear to be a bit behind the times since they're already done through Battle Moon Wars 4.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Getsuya posted:

Actually I finally looked this up to see if they had put any of the cool spinoffs like Strange Fake or Apocrypha in there and you appear to be a bit behind the times since they're already done through Battle Moon Wars 4.

There were 4 episodes but they combine into only one game. Sadly it doesn't have any of the weird spinoffs because it was made back before most of them existed.

• Locked thread