Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
Lol as soon as I start recording my games, I pull off 2 wins in a row (after a first loss in a pretty shaky round). Hello copper III!

Maybe the idea of having a goon staring over my shoulder makes me perform better or something. The first of those wins was a 4 v 5 as well, as one teammate dropped out as soon as the match started. :argh:

Gonna see how to edit and upload them tomorrow. Would you guys rather have full games or highlight reels of my kills and deaths to give pointers? I feel like I could cut a lot of fluff but it might reveal me having fundamentla issues moving around or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Final ranked match, 4-3, against assholes. Two of them are dead, about 2 minutes left.

Servers poo poo the bed and we all get kicked.

Admiral Joeslop fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Jun 14, 2017

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

Champion draGoon horse slayer. Making Lancers weep for their horsies since 2011. Viva Dickbutt.
For the operation health season coming up they should make the game load faster than it takes for an invite to disappear.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Hey Hard.

There is a thing every now and then where we're in a full group, get a game, then when we're loaded in, we have some random pubbie and our 5th is stuck at the main menu.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Hey Hard.

There is a thing every now and then where we're in a full group, get a game, then when we're loaded in, we have some random pubbie and our 5th is stuck at the main menu.

Nah, that's working as intended - the game is just forcingguiding you to slowly make new friends to play with, instead of merely permitting you to play exclusively with the same boring people :v:

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord
Crispin - Spreads tortilla chips all over the floor, producing a loud crunching sound even if walking slowly.
Payne - Swaps wooden barricades for bullet proof glass so you can still gather info. Overwrites castle.

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

Champion draGoon horse slayer. Making Lancers weep for their horsies since 2011. Viva Dickbutt.
make the glass non-bullet proof on normal barricades but bullet proof for castles

also make the glass deploy from a grenade launcher to make it ash + mira

Gr4vyB04t
Jan 31, 2010

Hey gurl, hey.
Also instead of glass make it a Fuze charge.

Gr4vyB04t
Jan 31, 2010

Hey gurl, hey.
What I'm saying is give Fuze a grenade launcher to deploy his charges, thanks.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rAe2FVsGbZ0

Timestamped for everyone who just wants to see my deaths and yell at me. Full video for anyone who enjoys audio reverb, French tv in the background and Dutch banter.

Things I'm thinking as I watch that footage again: 1) I'm quite indecisive and tend to make short runs left or right as I'm trying to think of which approach to take, and 2) I tend to waffle about in corridors or open rooms too much. If I get shot, it's usually from an angle I didn't expect 'cause I'm a chump.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler
I'll look through it more thoroughly tomorrow if I remember but the biggest thing I see is that you never look on the cameras or use your drones outside of the drone phase or when you're dead. You appear to react and shoot fairly quickly and accurately so that doesn't seem to be a problem. Drones and cameras let you know where someone is before you engage them which gives you a massive advantage over them. For instance in your first round as Fuze you look into the bedroom with your face and get shot when you already knew the guy was in there. Had you just thrown a drone in there you could have avoided taking any damage and potentially have been able to kill him through the wall. You had already killed one guy in there with your fuze charges but for some reason you didn't use your last one on the wall next to you even after seeing there was a second guy in there.

The round where you all had Ash trapped in the game room and you were just blindly staring down a random hallway in case she went back around that way? Should have hopped on the cameras which (assuming they are still there) will let you watch a much larger area than just one hallway. Just make sure you get behind the best cover you can find first when droning or using cameras.

When you got killed as Montagne in front of the garage door (your Thermite, Hibana, and Thatcher all hosed up amazingly there) it was because you didn't deploy your shield. Montagne's gun hand (and legs if he is standing) is vulnerable when he is not deployed so all they had to do was aim carefully while you stood there perfectly still. Montagne is invulnerable from like 270 degrees in front of him while he is deployed. Always deploy you shield until you want to fire if there are enemies nearby. A deployed Montagne is basically an invincible drone which is very, very good. He's also good at bullying single enemies who are forced to keep their attention on you so that you don't drop your shield and blast them the second the look away.

Try to be aware of your surroundings and don't stand places where someone can potentially shoot you from a direction you can't watch. For instance when you were defending the library and you were intently watching a window until someone broke a hole in a window next to you and shot you in the side because you were standing in the open. You wanna find a spot where you can be in cover from as many angles as possible while still being able to cover the area you're looking at. Or at least be able to duck back into cover quickly. That little entryway to the library is perfect for covering the windows if you reinforce the walls so that people don't shoot you through them. A lot of this is just learning the maps so all you can do is keep playing.

The best way to learn is to watch and play with good players. Your teammates in that match, no offense intended, looked really bad. If you hop in mumble we play almost every night and almost all of us were plat or gold last season. The discord goons are probably good too but I don't play with them so I have no idea.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
Thanks for the feedback. You're right, I really need to make it a habit to check my drones more often. That was the first match of the evening and we were all still getting a bit in the groove. I'll get around to uploading the two matches we actually won later today.

Eddiemage (one of my teammates) is low silver and I generally end up above him in the scoreboards so I was hoping I'd get there at some point too. :negative: I'll see about reinstalling mumble at some point.

EDIT: here's the second match of the night.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7kFVrk6nK0

EDIT2: and the final one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5mT42gKe9EY Special shout-outs in this one for the aim around 3:19 by my teammate.

Thanks again to anyone taking the time to give me pointers!

Deltasquid fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Jun 14, 2017

diapermeat
Feb 10, 2009

Wooper posted:

For the operation health season coming up they should make the game load faster than it takes for an invite to disappear.

If you could make the game load after you launch it from steam/uplay - without the 'press any key to start' would be amazing.

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

I will try to watch your footage later tonight and give some tips. I'm eternally plat 3 cuz my team are scrubs but I think I have some good knowledge of the game

I can't promise that 'getting good' won't be one of my tips though

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
It's okay. At least narrow down "git gud" to map knowledge, positioning, mechanical aiming skills... and I'll be happy enough :v:

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

This is what fascinates me most in existence: the peculiar necessity of imagining what is, in fact, real.

Me and my buddies have been getting into this game and having a basic knowledge of the maps seems essential. My experience learning the game in multiplayer is experiencing new and interesting angles that I'm getting killed from.

Playing this game when you don't know a map but your opponents do is like playing a horror game, you're paranoid, tense and still die in clumsy unexpected ways to people or things you never saw coming.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:

ATP_Power posted:

Playing this game when you don't know a map but your opponents do is like playing a horror game, you're paranoid, tense and still die in clumsy unexpected ways to people or things you never saw coming.

siege is actually a tactical horror survival sim where a masked man carrying a sledgehamer is literally breaking through your bedroom window to come loving kill you while you cower in the corner hoping those aren't his footsteps

in all seriousness though, wear headphones because sound is one of the single most important things in this game if you don't have a team to do recon for you

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
It definitely felt that way for the first... two months that I played? I joined right when velvet shell dropped and my friends goaded me into playing ranked ASAP because then I'd be doing placement matches with coppers instead of getting wrecked by sweaty golds in casual. It was terrifying, and I lost count of the amount of times that I sprinted in circles or into dead ends while looking for stairs or the objective room.

I'm starting to get the hang of map lay-out but still get killed by headscratchers too often. In my first video I linked, for example, I completely forgot that there was a window to my left in the library and as a result I was fully exposed when Twitch peeked into the room.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Deltasquid posted:

It's okay. At least narrow down "git gud" to map knowledge, positioning, mechanical aiming skills... and I'll be happy enough :v:

For map knowledge, there are 2 ways. One is to just play maps and learn them the hard way. Or you can use sites like R6 Maps to learn the maps beforehand, and then utilize that knowledge. This has the added benefit of seeing immideatly which walls are breakable and which aren't. Want that tactical feel of doing it live during a match? Do you have a smartphone? If so, you can get an app called R6S Tactics (android and iOS), which does the same as R6 maps, bur for your phone!

Postioning is a tough cookie, cause the breakable walls mean a lot of safe angels are temporary at best. There are a few constant spots, but you can still get caught off guard when playing. Which is good, cause you can do the same for the enemy! Operators like Sledge or Buck mean enemy positioning won't count for poo poo once you bust a wall next to them. Or my recent personal favourite - Ash and Buck exclusive tho - bust the hatch from under their feet :v:
Offensive positioning is easier, cause you have more options to start with. Defensive means parking your rear end in one place and hoping they cross your sights. Once you have a feel for most of the approaches to some objectives, expand! Do you know where the enemy will come in on Favela? Move to a room halfway across that route and catch them off guard.

The nature of the game means improv is good here. Short time to kill means that the element of suprise is more critical then mechanical shooting.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
Thanks for the hints! I tried to learn using R6maps but it's still a bit too abstract for me. I might try it on my smartphone but lol at the idea of ever looking away from the screen as I'm holding a corridor.

I do try to ape people's murderholes and ambush spots when I get killed by them, though.

What trips me up a lot is I see players like Maciejay sprinting through corridors or keeping their eyes on a specific point like they know the enemy will come from there/won't flank them, but when I play I need to keep my eyes 360° around me because pubbies don't really cover my flanks. Maybe I just get paranoid but my map knowledge is a bit too lacking for me to know "oh this corridor is safe, no need to stare down it" and "people come from here 95% of the time, that's the meta"

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Deltasquid posted:

Thanks for the hints! I tried to learn using R6maps but it's still a bit too abstract for me. I might try it on my smartphone but lol at the idea of ever looking away from the screen as I'm holding a corridor.

I do try to ape people's murderholes and ambush spots when I get killed by them, though.

What trips me up a lot is I see players like Maciejay sprinting through corridors or keeping their eyes on a specific point like they know the enemy will come from there/won't flank them, but when I play I need to keep my eyes 360° around me because pubbies don't really cover my flanks. Maybe I just get paranoid but my map knowledge is a bit too lacking for me to know "oh this corridor is safe, no need to stare down it" and "people come from here 95% of the time, that's the meta"
Maps are just something you have to repeatedly play through. Just pick a mode and go ahead, reading floor plans will only give you that much.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
I do all of my terrorist hunt challenges in lone wolf and try to check out the maps as I go through them.

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

This is what fascinates me most in existence: the peculiar necessity of imagining what is, in fact, real.

Deltasquid posted:

I do all of my terrorist hunt challenges in lone wolf and try to check out the maps as I go through them.

I've been doing this a bunch with my friends, but kinda having a feeling for a map or even knowing all the callouts, is very different than knowing the most common attack routes, defensive positions and tricks used on each map by Humans. That's what's been the trick to learn in multiplayer, even on a map that you've played T Hunt on a bunch - at least that's been my experience.

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NW8K2gw63ys

Fresh Shesh Besh
May 15, 2013

My friend is unable to buy a holo on IQ's 552. He has plenty of points but it keeps saying the purchase fails.

Hard
Jul 31, 2005
Kid Napalm
lol stop lying.

Fresh Shesh Besh
May 15, 2013

B U S T E D game.

For real though he can buy other stuff just not that.

EDIT: Also lighting is still utterly hosed, big surprise.
EDIT2: Still insane rubber banding at clutch moment. Can't even vault through a loving window half the time.

Fresh Shesh Besh fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Jun 15, 2017

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:
woulda tested this myself but i already have everything from compensators to clownmasks unlocked for her because IQ is one of the best ways to mine salt from the underworld fighting pits of copper III

e: fwiw i just run an acog on the 556 because it seems to do the most single shot damage and use the aug for funny stuff like roaming the side halls with a reflex/suppressor/laser

Thief fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Jun 15, 2017

Hard
Jul 31, 2005
Kid Napalm
I was referring to fresh having a friend, games totally hosed.

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck

Hard posted:

Masterstroke.

Gr4vyB04t
Jan 31, 2010

Hey gurl, hey.

Fresh Shesh Besh posted:

My friend is unable to buy a holo on IQ's 552. He has plenty of points but it keeps saying the purchase fails.

Why is he putting anything other than an ACOG on it?

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

AnElegantPeacock posted:

Why is he putting anything other than an ACOG on it?

By saying "ACOG" you're actually referring to the red dot sight, I hope!

Gr4vyB04t
Jan 31, 2010

Hey gurl, hey.

Major Isoor posted:

By saying "ACOG" you're actually referring to the red dot sight, I hope!

Pfffft nope.

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

ACOG is a noob trap

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

What is the pro scenes current thoughts on the ACOG? That is my opinion. I know back in season one and partially for two everybody used ACOGS then nobody used them in 3 for reasons?

Gr4vyB04t
Jan 31, 2010

Hey gurl, hey.

The Duggler posted:

ACOG is a noob trap

Dug, I know every time we play you carry my broke rear end but you are wrong about this.

Sdoots
Nov 3, 2013

I did this and could have stopped it, but nothing in nature ever follows a gaussian curve. Sure, they'll tell you that it does. They say that every five minutes someone dies in a car accident, but how often are there seven hundred and sixty one armless and legless corpses in one hangar?

Hard posted:

This is a 5/5 post, my dude

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

The Duggler posted:

ACOG is a noob trap

lol

Sdoots
Nov 3, 2013

I did this and could have stopped it, but nothing in nature ever follows a gaussian curve. Sure, they'll tell you that it does. They say that every five minutes someone dies in a car accident, but how often are there seven hundred and sixty one armless and legless corpses in one hangar?

The Duggler posted:

ACOG is a noob trap

Gonna need you to elaborate on this because what the sweet gently caress are you talking about

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hard
Jul 31, 2005
Kid Napalm
ACOG can be counter-productive in certain situations especially in close quarters and the recoil hits harder. I think if you're new to the game you would assume that having a zoom only has advantages but once you realize you can snipe with a pistol it all becomes a matter of personal preferences.

• Locked thread