Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Bell got fired mid season. Harsh, but deserved I think. Also, everybody had stupid hair in 2002.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Crapwagon found Motorsport.com, on this article about The Gut:

quote:

So an experienced driver with years of experience (in the most varied assortment of cars, one without an engine even) says that on a course he has actually been competitive at before he can't figure out the handling of the car...

When will the braintrust at the IRL just fess up and admit that Dullara makes them unsafe and unbalanced cars, saddled with aero-by-committee?

A year from now when clad in fake 2007 CCWS bits, when the first one 'unexpectedly' swaps ends (without any cause) like Kathy's Lola did at RA when it lost ONE OF IT'S REAR WING ELEMENTS.., or takes off and backflips in uncontrolled flight perhaps?

Nah, not that bunch... "Inny", "Sammich", "Murica"...
Sheesh, Gomers . . .

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Wherever you go, whatever you do, I will be right here waiting for you...

Yams Fan

iospace posted:

Crapwagon found Motorsport.com, on this article about The Gut:

I'd be willing to foot the bill of Crapwagon if it kept them from leaking onto legitimate media outlets

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Kat Legge's failed rear wing was on a Lola not a Dallara, and it was in ChampCar. It was also 11 years ago.

i almost feel like those guys must be engaged in some incredible double-ironic troll campaign or something

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Cygni posted:

Kat Legge's failed rear wing was on a Lola not a Dallara, and it was in ChampCar. It was also 11 years ago.

i almost feel like those guys must be engaged in some incredible double-ironic troll campaign or something

Or else they're so angry that they, in the end, lost.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Cygni posted:

Can you imagine trying to have a beer with these guys?

I just wish someone like your dad or a former CART owner, driver or engineer would talk to them. I imagine the conversation about "Theirs" and only "Theirs" series would be met with a lot of anger. These dipshits were sitting in the stands, not turning wrenches, funding teams or putting hours in testing. Yet you know..somehow the legacy of "CART" is their's.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

quote:

I have been debating whether to post this. My respectful and cautious friends say no. Spicoli says yes. So here it is.

I was at Siebken's in Elkhart Lake for the '06 race. I looked up and realized that Bobby Rahal was there surrounded by fans. He appeared to be entertaining sponsors in the side room, but he was moving through the crowd in the main room, and, to my disgust, he was being gladhanded and congratulated by many. "Gee, Bobby, it is so good to see you here." "Bobby, will you have a team next year?" "Bobby, you are the greatest!" These are not direct quotes, but you get the picture. Off to the side, I began to fume. My wife claims I turned purple and appeared to be having a stroke. This is possible, as it was the first time I had seen the #1 Honda/Champ Car traitor/assassin since his move to the IRL.

I decided to confront him. A couple of people around me told me not to, saying that this was not the right place to do it. I disagreed, thinking that the track, a place of business, was the wrong place to do it, while this was the perfect opportunity. I calmed my self down, intent on being forceful but reasonable. Imagine that the room is crowded and loud. I managed to catch him privately as he walked past me, and no one else could hear us. This is exactly what was said (I wrote it down at the time):

I said: Bobby...
He said: What?
I said: Bobby...
I said: You owe an apology to the fans.
I said: You owe an apology to the Champ Car fanatics.
He said: Why?
I said: Long Beach and the way you left.
He said: I don't need to apologize to anyone. I have done more for this f---ing series than anyone, F--- YOU.

At this point he walked away in a huff. I decided to walk the other direction, but my wife said he appeared to be bothered and angry for a few minutes. His party left shortly thereafter.

My plan was to steer the conversation toward the positive, if in fact he had responded positively. I wanted to suggest to him that if he apologized to the fans, and perhaps made some sort of gesture of goodwill toward them, that they would move on. Clearly, he did not give me the chance to get that far, and, clearly, his ego would not have accepted the advice, anyway.

That is my story. I am glad I did it. I think these guys need to hear the truth. I took the time after the race to thank Gerry Forsythe for saving the series, too.

Comments?

http://www.offcamber.net/forums/showthread.php?11637-My-confrontation-with-Rahal

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

FuzzySkinner posted:

Can you imagine trying to have a beer with these guys?

I just wish someone like your dad or a former CART owner, driver or engineer would talk to them. I imagine the conversation about "Theirs" and only "Theirs" series would be met with a lot of anger. These dipshits were sitting in the stands, not turning wrenches, funding teams or putting hours in testing. Yet you know..somehow the legacy of "CART" is their's.

Well, that's just it, these guys weren't even sitting in the stands enough to keep the lights on. These fucktards aren't worth an engineer's time.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Fauxhawk Express posted:

You'd think it'd still be full after eating a whole Legge

And that's why I keep reading this thread.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

IOwnCalculus posted:

Well, that's just it, these guys weren't even sitting in the stands enough to keep the lights on. These fucktards aren't worth an engineer's time.

I always cite this story, but it was ironically guys like the crapwagon posters that actually drove me away from attending OWR for a long time. Screaming at my 9 year old brother because they claimed he hit their miata was not a good luck that day.

I've actually never had the same experience as I did at Mid Ohio in 02 since. It feels like a lot of the snobs kinda bailed, and you just have a more relaxed environment around the series now. There's a few people that throw around the "NASCAR is boring" jokes, but that sort of thing has actually existed since the creation of NASCAR if you can believe it.

The "Gomers" these people throw temper tantrums about are actually very cool people to go drink beer with and discuss racing with.

FuzzySkinner fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Jun 28, 2017

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

drgitlin posted:

And that's why I keep reading this thread.

:discourse:

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

FuzzySkinner posted:

There's a few people that throw around the "NASCAR is boring" jokes

When I say it, I'm not joking, I'm dead serious. I think the last NASCAR race I was properly entertained by was a Busch or Xfinity or whatever the gently caress race at Watkins Glen in 2012. They were making Phoenix look boring even before ICS came and redefined "boring oval race" there.

But even with the snoozefests that PIR has been the last two years, the post-reunification Indycar series events I've gone to have easily been the most fun I've had attending a race.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

IOwnCalculus posted:

When I say it, I'm not joking, I'm dead serious. I think the last NASCAR race I was properly entertained by was a Busch or Xfinity or whatever the gently caress race at Watkins Glen in 2012. They were making Phoenix look boring even before ICS came and redefined "boring oval race" there.

But even with the snoozefests that PIR has been the last two years, the post-reunification Indycar series events I've gone to have easily been the most fun I've had attending a race.

Here's the difference though, when Indy has a snoozer of a race, they'll at least acknowledge it and apologize, like they did this year. When NASCAR does, welp (this does make me sad, because NASCAR has been shooting its own dick off as of late and I used to love them).

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

The mid Ohio xfinity race last year is the greatest race ever and I'll fight any disagreements.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

I mean yeah xfinity is consistently better than cup. Also see truck

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Norns posted:

I mean yeah xfinity is consistently better than cup. Also see truck

Even in the Indy thread, SRA will be asked for hats.

GIVE US HATS SRA.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

dentist toy box posted:

The mid Ohio xfinity race last year is the greatest race ever and I'll fight any disagreements.

I clearly need to dig this up and watch it.

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan

dentist toy box posted:

Was that the one where Tags got bumped on the very last corner after leading like the entire race? That was a good race and the only NASCAR races I enjoy are road courses

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

No its the one where it rained and the optimal racing line was the grass every turn.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Bizzare thing; Honda never won at Motegi in CART. Lol.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

http://autoweek.com/article/indycar/dale-coyne-sebastien-bourdais-already-planning-2018-comeback-title-run
DCR & SeaBass planning for a 2018 championship run.

http://motorsports.nbcsports.com/2017/06/28/wickens-not-interested-in-full-time-indycar-switch-despite-practice-run/
Wickens staying in DTM.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/130447
The Gut wants to help bring Indycar back to Mexico.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

I doubt they could do mexico city with f1 racing there.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind

Seabass or Bust 2017
Seabass or Bust 2018

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

dentist toy box posted:

I doubt they could do mexico city with f1 racing there.

Bernie doesn't exist any more to prevent it. The main reason alonso happened was because Ron Dennis and Bernie no longer have gigs.

Of course my crazy rear end take is to have Cup run there because Daniel Suarez is the loving man. Dump one of the Kansas dates and make it happen.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

So, I dug up the renders for the new areo again and noticed something interesting:

The rear wheel fenders are different between the two setups:

(click for bigger)

The side of the speedway guard extends a bit more towards the side pod, whereas the high downforce one is more cut off.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

iospace posted:

So, I dug up the renders for the new areo again and noticed something interesting:

The rear wheel fenders are different between the two setups:

(click for bigger)

The side of the speedway guard extends a bit more towards the side pod, whereas the high downforce one is more cut off.

Yeah, I noticed the same thing. Really hoping its just a goof.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Of note from that DCR article:

quote:

Coyne says he will run three cars once Bourdais is ready to return.
Three car DCR team. :neckbeard:

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind
Penske. Ganassi. Andretti. Coyne.

I am OK with this.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

The bourdais ride is partially funder by Honda correct?

Not sure what ed jones situation is. However, I know gut has that Carlos slim money and he has never been shy about putting a driver in a racing series. Hell Suarez is in Cup now for examole because of him.

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan

dentist toy box posted:

No its the one where it rained and the optimal racing line was the grass every turn.

I know what I'll be watching today at work :haw:

Also check out my analysis of the RA track in my Behind the Numbers article

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
The 2002 season had visor cams. Also I think it was the last time teams made their own aero parts. Da Matta is annihilating everybody.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

http://www.indycar.com/News/2017/06/06-30-Honda-finds-fix

quote:

During the KOHLER Grand Prix weekend at Road America, Art St. Cyr, the president of Honda Performance Development, said his group pinpointed the cause of the failures to an internal part that has been used for three years and not shown susceptibility until this season. A fix has been made, St. Cyr added, and will be implemented as Honda builds new engines to move into its rotation with teams for the remainder of the season.
Hoping we'll learn more about this part in the future, might be neat from an engineering standpoint.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Maybe F1 Honda could borrow some Indy engineers. They seem to know wtf they are doing.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Norns posted:

Maybe F1 Honda could borrow some Indy engineers. They seem to know wtf they are doing.

Indeed. The problem is we're talking a 1.6L V6 single turbo with pneumatic valve actuation and custom turbo (did they actually implement the split turbo or was that just rumors), vs a 2.2L DOHC twin turbo with COTS turbos. Not to mention all the KERS related stuff. I'm sure there's some overlap, though.

Though if they haven't at least tried contacting HPD for at least some help, I don't know what to tell ya. As a whole though, if this solves a lot of problems for Honda, look out.

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan
I can only imagine Alonso reading this and getting really mad :argh:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

KingShibby posted:

I can only imagine Alonso reading this and getting really mad :argh:

I can imagine for two reasons:

1. Too late for his 500 run
2. "Why the hell don't we have these guys making OUR engine?"

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan

iospace posted:

I can imagine for two reasons:

1. Too late for his 500 run
2. "Why the hell don't we have these guys making OUR engine?"

Exactly, Alonso had not 1 but 2 engines blow in less than 2 weeks at Indy and his F1 car has been garbage for a long time with no signs of getting any better

Lord Crapulus
Feb 12, 2003

About as successful at Le Mans as Toyota
Ron leaves McLaren and the same day Honda's corporate synergy of blowing up engines on both sides of the pond is broken? HMMM

I drive a BBW
Jun 2, 2008
Fun Shoe

Lord Crapulus posted:

Ron leaves McLaren and the same day Honda's corporate synergy of blowing up engines on both sides of the pond is broken? HMMM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

https://www.motorsport.com/indycar/news/portland-would-need-upgrading-for-indycar-race-926323/

quote:

Tony Cotman of NZR Consulting says that Portland International Raceway would require facility improvements, were the Verizon IndyCar Series seeking a return to the Pacific Northwest.

• Locked thread