Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?
Here is a poorly taken picture of a 6mm Eldar Vibro Cannon Platform I printed

goodness fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Nov 3, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

It says a full data dump on Blackstone is coming on Sunday, I wonder if that means it’s going up for pre-order next week.

I love those Delaque, have a great cenobite cultist vibe to them.

The video literally states a November 10 preorder date at the end.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Enentol posted:

The art at the end of the reveal trailer is a much nicer scheme - darker, more muted/subdued, and with more of a human-looking skin tone.

Dude, its Gunther Hermann!

A Deus Ex gang. Also some dune vibes?

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"
I would be interested to see what they have on their backs, as otherwise it doesn't look like they have any special or heavy weapons (unless that's a webber on bottom row/right).

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?
6mm Thunderhawk in progress

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

Enentol posted:

The art at the end of the reveal trailer is a much nicer scheme - darker, more muted/subdued, and with more of a human-looking skin tone.

I do think the artwork is better than the models, but I don't think it's just the paintjob. The poses are a bit odd - hunched backs and feet close together, which makes the models look a bit less heroic or action-y. No firing stances, models have their weapons held low or sticking up in the air. The floor-length coats also contribute to a rather un-martial air. I think they'd look harder if they had shorter coats and more aggressive poses.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]
The Escher, Goliath, and Orlock gangs look like 80s style gangs engaging in a gang war, just updated to modern production standards. Then the Cawdors look like a cult, the Van Saars look like a paramilitary spec ops unit, and it seems like the Delaqs have been designed to look like creepy spy assassins gliding around in their evil robes, possibly sneaking up to members of the other gangs to whisper bad advice into their ears. There definitely seems to have been a shift in design philosophy over time as the Necromunda minis have shifted away from "Gangs, who happen to be aligned to a Great House with an archetype" to "Great House members strongly adhering to their Great House archetype, who happen to be involved in gang activity."

I can very easily imagine more "scroungy ganger" versions of the Cawdors, Delaqs, and Van Saars, who somewhat deemphasize the Great House archetype in favor of better aesthetic harmony with the Eschers, Goliaths, and Orlocks, and it makes sense there'd be people who would want those versions of at least one of those gangs instead of what we've gotten here.

I do think the Delaqs on display here are great for what they are, though. And I desperately want the studio team's recipes for the Delaq skins so I can steal it for my Raven Guard.

Editing this into my existing post to avoid thread flooding:

Thinking more about this, here’s what’s bugging me about those sculpts, even as I think they’re great and I’m definitely going to be buying a box for miscellaneous use.

The Escher gangers look like people who’ve taken service with House Escher as their patrons. They don’t look like how I’d imagine the high-ranking Eschers look—like, you can imagine an illustration of “Escher ganger meets with her patron for orders” and she looks like a street punk while they don’t. The Escher models look like a distinct gang culture that could be found among people who have a patron in common.

Same with the Goliaths. They’re clearly a gang with their own culture distinct from the culture of their bosses.

The Orlocks are a dark future Marxist labor party or something. They’re run from the ground up, so while they do dress like their bosses, it’s because their bosses also dress in clothes available to the general public.

Van Saars look like soldiers. They don’t look like gangers, but they do look like a distinct caste or rank of people doing a job distinct from the House higher-ups who pass them missions and things.

Cawdor, cult, are Orlocks above. The higher-ups wear fancier robes but still probably visibly the same sorts of robes, just with more layers. And possibly KKK cosplay unless GW cancelled that one model like we all hope.

In a hypothetical illustration where a Delaq ganger is meeting with higher-ups for orders and patronage, though? Those models are kind of how I picture the higher-up Delaqs dressing. The older Delaq models with the trenchcoats look like minions who’ve seen the inside of the actual House Delaq secret spy citadels and seen how Delaq infocultists dress, and then go back to the Underhive and try to mimic their bosses’ appearance with items available to them. These look like Delaq secret agents descending into the Underhive to do their own bidding directly.

Stephenls fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Nov 3, 2018

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013
Excellent points, I agree that the styles differ quite a lot. Got to say that if I buy into new Necromunda models (already prefer the new rules with my old conversions) I'd be all in on Orlocks. That non-ganginess that you point out for some of the gangs is a turn-off for me.

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

I feel they added a bunch of Dark City's Strangers to the Delaq theme. I was quizzical at first, but the idea is growing on me.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

goodness posted:

6mm Thunderhawk in progress

Not sure I understand the size of this, but the finish looks amazing. Where do you get models for printing? Can you just use the same files for other printers?

I discovered that my primary holdback on doing 3d printing stuff is that I have a huge distance to go on making any models.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
In the grand scheme of everything being cribbed from somewhere else, I think of them as Vampire the Masquerade characters. All light averse, backstabbing bastards who deal in information and controlled violence while swanning about in leather trenches and frock coats.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

Ashcans posted:

Not sure I understand the size of this, but the finish looks amazing. Where do you get models for printing? Can you just use the same files for other printers?

I discovered that my primary holdback on doing 3d printing stuff is that I have a huge distance to go on making any models.

So far I've been getting the models off thingiverse. There is a pretty large selection for warhammer stuff.

Scalewise it is a truescale 6mm. The back half print was a little off, the supports in the middle broke off halfway and it warped a little. And it still needs the cannon

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

I haven't really dabbled with the smaller scales, so my sense of 6mm models is just pretty vague. The picture with paintpot is very helpful that way, though! Do you do any finishing on the model like sanding or filling, or is it that clean out of the printer? Even with some cleanup that's still way better than I'm used to seeing from printers. Very cool.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

Ashcans posted:

I haven't really dabbled with the smaller scales, so my sense of 6mm models is just pretty vague. The picture with paintpot is very helpful that way, though! Do you do any finishing on the model like sanding or filling, or is it that clean out of the printer? Even with some cleanup that's still way better than I'm used to seeing from printers. Very cool.

This is from one of the newer resin printers, an Anycubic Photon. So it is that smooth right out of the printer. The supports pop off relatively cleanly, with a little cleaning with a knife/file required.

The tanks were also printed. The predators have some small lines diagonally across. I think those are due to a z-wobble/orientation error as I haven't seen it on any others.

NC Wyeth Death Cult
Dec 30, 2005

He lost his life in Chadds Ford, he was dancing with a train.

goodness posted:

Here is a poorly taken picture of a 6mm Eldar Vibro Cannon Platform I printed

It's weird seeing that in the Epic group on FB and then coming here and seeing it. It looks good!

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

NC Wyeth Death Cult posted:

It's weird seeing that in the Epic group on FB and then coming here and seeing it. It looks good!

Its weird seeing someone in here comment about something from there too :D

Thank you! The guy who made that model said he is modelling on top of sprue pictures he imported, similar to tracing.

Printed 24 of these guys in 55m. I'm going to try 60 at once next, will be the same amount of time with the way resin printing works. And I am pretty sure I can reduce the supports by half as it is so small.

Here is the model right after print, IPA wash, and a quick blast of compressed air.

And after cleaning the supports off, which took 12m for 24 of them.

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe
I am incredibly impressed by those 6mm prints, and the paintjobs!

NC Wyeth Death Cult
Dec 30, 2005

He lost his life in Chadds Ford, he was dancing with a train.

Failson posted:

I am incredibly impressed by those 6mm prints, and the paintjobs!

You should see the stuff that people were making in their basement after GW abandoned Epic. There were a few people sculpting and casting their own stuff and it was light years ahead of anything GW produced. Now that 3D printing is big, there is a whole world of proxy stuff out there.

NC Wyeth Death Cult fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Nov 5, 2018

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

goodness posted:

Its weird seeing someone in here comment about something from there too :D

Thank you! The guy who made that model said he is modelling on top of sprue pictures he imported, similar to tracing.

Printed 24 of these guys in 55m. I'm going to try 60 at once next, will be the same amount of time with the way resin printing works. And I am pretty sure I can reduce the supports by half as it is so small.

Here is the model right after print, IPA wash, and a quick blast of compressed air.

And after cleaning the supports off, which took 12m for 24 of them.

Is there anywhere to get these if we don't have a printer of our own? Those own bones and I love 6 mm scale.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

Strobe posted:

Is there anywhere to get these if we don't have a printer of our own? Those own bones and I love 6 mm scale.

Yeah I'd be interested in this too.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

There are various ones around ebay and facebook, mostly of the older less detailed models.

Check out these Furioso Dreads

goodness fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Nov 5, 2018

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
All of those things are cool as hell. Even the bitty drop pods. :3:

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
I need these, they're adorable

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe
Still cannot get over the detail, and how little cleanup it looks like those need!

I've got a cheap-but-good-for-what-it-is FDM printer, and I can't touch anything like that.

NC Wyeth Death Cult posted:

You should see the stuff that people were making in their basement after GW abandoned Epic. There were a few people sculpting and casting their own stuff and it was light years ahead of anything GW produced. Now that 3D printing is big, there is a whole world of proxy stuff out there.

Indeed! Any still up and running? All the ones I followed went away.

RIP: The Forgeworld line, too. Nice sculpts, though mostly cast from leftover toothpaste.

Edit: I keep forgetting Brigade Models! They do a comprehensive, but more traditional, sci-fi 6mm range.

vkeios
May 7, 2007

Onslaught exists, though their stuff is very much their own spin on things.

Also I love the current 6mm posting, little guys are cute as heck.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Print yourself a better printer.

Soldier o Fortune
Jul 22, 2004

I also want to say nice work, and that I love all of this Epicness.

It has got me thinking though, with even normal 40k starting to be basically Apocalypse in terms of the amount of Lords of War and big armies, it might be better for Epic to go bigger in turn. If you really think about it, classic Epic scale is still only like Battalion at best in terms of the size of battles. Remember the old 'build your army with a bunch of Company and Detachment' card stuff? That was cool and good back then, and GW as whole has brought the datacard style stuff into their main games. But in Epic you are still moving a base of 5 guys or a single vehicle. Would probably be better to be moving around a 'base' of 3+ vehicles or 10+ dudes to get to a really large scale. 40k these days can have as much infantry on the table as Epic did way back when.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

Soldier o Fortune posted:

I also want to say nice work, and that I love all of this Epicness.

It has got me thinking though, with even normal 40k starting to be basically Apocalypse in terms of the amount of Lords of War and big armies, it might be better for Epic to go bigger in turn. If you really think about it, classic Epic scale is still only like Battalion at best in terms of the size of battles. Remember the old 'build your army with a bunch of Company and Detachment' card stuff? That was cool and good back then, and GW as whole has brought the datacard style stuff into their main games. But in Epic you are still moving a base of 5 guys or a single vehicle. Would probably be better to be moving around a 'base' of 3+ vehicles or 10+ dudes to get to a really large scale. 40k these days can have as much infantry on the table as Epic did way back when.

Are you thinking scaling down to 3mm or having bigger bases is the way to go?

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Putting squads of 5 marines or 10 guardsmen on a 32 or 40 mm round would probably work well enough. Walkers you can fit two easily, but I think you could do it just find with a single 18 mm (Dreadnoughts and sentinels) or maybe a 25 mm and then just call this squadron of 1-3 tanks one unit.

Soldier o Fortune
Jul 22, 2004

goodness posted:

Are you thinking scaling down to 3mm or having bigger bases is the way to go?

Strobe posted:

Putting squads of 5 marines or 10 guardsmen on a 32 or 40 mm round would probably work well enough. Walkers you can fit two easily, but I think you could do it just find with a single 18 mm (Dreadnoughts and sentinels) or maybe a 25 mm and then just call this squadron of 1-3 tanks one unit.

Probably best solution; I have no idea how well it would work from a gameplay perspective. Probably would be a pain for painting, but maybe it would be better. Does anyone really need to invest that much detail in Epic scale infantry?

Maybe we could someday get Warmaster again. GW would probably do Age of Sigmar, but maybe they could do the Old World instead as a way to appeal to the people that will never give Sigmar the time of day, and / or people who like the PC games and / or ranks and flanks.

I was organizing my kid's insane LEGO collection mess the other day, which includes most of my LEGO from when I was a kid, and I found a single plastic, green, Epic scale Eldar guardian mixed in. I set it aside thinking my boys would get a kick out of seeing it, especially my oldest son who has started to collect Eldar in 40k. Of course, it vanished almost immediately and was probably vacuumed / eaten by a child / dog. Oh well!

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
If you go any smaller than 6mm, you should probably just go to hex and chit.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

I agree though some people do 3mm scifi/military for massive engagements.

I have access to a 3D scanner if anyone's interested in some really detailed prints., I only have Death Guard models atm but I'll upload some pictures once I get them done.

goodness fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Nov 7, 2018

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe
Started working on an AT Reaver last night.

I'm impressed how well it goes together. The legs could have been a pain in the rear end, but it's surprisingly un-fiddly.

Nice engineering on the Knights, too. GW has come a long way.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Is anyone making/working on 8mm tanks/infantry/buildings? Is that a thing?

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Schadenboner posted:

No, and it will likely not be a thing. because GW 1) completely made up an arbitrary scale that nobody else uses; and 2) screwed up anyway, because AT isn't in 8mm scale, it's scaled off an 8mm Space Marine, which is a completely different thing. 6mm Epic stuff works just fine for terrain in AT.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Schadenboner posted:

Why would anyone bother? Can't be used in 40k.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

berzerkmonkey posted:

No, and it will likely not be a thing. because GW 1) completely made up an arbitrary scale that nobody else uses; and 2) screwed up anyway, because AT isn't in 8mm scale, it's scaled off an 8mm Space Marine, which is a completely different thing. 6mm Epic stuff works just fine for terrain in AT.

So you're saying that all the people freaking out about how gw changed the scale of the models and they won't work in epic were being idiots because it turns out the titanicus models will?

Soldier o Fortune
Jul 22, 2004

berzerkmonkey posted:

I am dense and don't really understand this. If the 6mm terrain is fine for AT, wouldn't the models at the same scale also be fine?

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

Soldier o Fortune posted:

I am dense and don't really understand this. If the 6mm terrain is fine for AT, wouldn't the models at the same scale also be fine?

Don't try to over think what people whining about at scale say

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!

Booley posted:

So you're saying that all the people freaking out about how gw changed the scale of the models and they won't work in epic were being idiots because it turns out the titanicus models will?

A human is 6mm, a space marine is 8mm, Titans doubled in size but used to be 4mm scale anyway.

You can still use all your epic stuff.