Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Also if you dont have the plantoids pack just snd me your steam id or whatever and I will buy it for you in exchange for a robot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.

GlyphGryph posted:

Also if you dont have the plantoids pack just snd me your steam id or whatever and I will buy it for you in exchange for a robot

I will absolutely do that!

edit: Here's my profile, which I assume is what you need?

Dog Kisser fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Mar 26, 2017

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
can you just like, release it early? i'm bored today and really want to play.

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

Dog Kisser posted:

!

It's officially out in the wild!
Only six robots for now, but I'll add to them as I get ideas.

It was out last night!

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
Is there a mod that lets science ships skip to the next order in their order queue after evading a hostile fleet instead of going back to idle?

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

fuf posted:

Is there a mod that lets science ships skip to the next order in their order queue after evading a hostile fleet instead of going back to idle?
It's called Utopia and is due out in a week and a bit.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost
Those robot portraits are really awesome, Dog Kisser. Hoping to get some proper mod support in for them in the not distant future.

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

Wiz posted:

Those robot portraits are really awesome, Dog Kisser. Hoping to get some proper mod support in for them in the not distant future.

Thanks, you da best

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

Lunethex posted:

Make a tachikoma :swoon:

Not sure what assets you'd use to make them, but seconded. Would def like to make my entire species into cutesy spider tanks.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
Could you use the spider-looking fungus that puffs spores in the air periodically? You'd have to deal with the spores somehow though.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Exhaust vents?

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

GunnerJ posted:

Could you use the spider-looking fungus that puffs spores in the air periodically? You'd have to deal with the spores somehow though.

I think it actually might be too slender for a Tachikoma... Maybe Arthropoid 3? The same base as TANKBOT?

Kinetica
Aug 16, 2011
I think the floating screen bot with the heart is the best :3:

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

Companion Cube bot Civilization

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Man, that auto build mod really takes the pain out of being expansionist.

I don't use the auto-placement features (except for power hub and mineral processing), but the effect is amazing. Except for a little bit of hand-holding at the start to place the colony, clinic, first few farms and clear blockers, all I need to do is glance at the planet list on the side of the screen, and if there's construction in progress I leave it be. If there's no building taking place I go see what needs doing, if all the tiles are filled with max-upgraded buildings then I chuck it in a sector and colonise a new world. (I'm a control freak so I don't let sectors redevelop).

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

GotLag posted:

Man, that auto build mod really takes the pain out of being expansionist.

I don't use the auto-placement features (except for power hub and mineral processing), but the effect is amazing. Except for a little bit of hand-holding at the start to place the colony, clinic, first few farms and clear blockers, all I need to do is glance at the planet list on the side of the screen, and if there's construction in progress I leave it be. If there's no building taking place I go see what needs doing, if all the tiles are filled with max-upgraded buildings then I chuck it in a sector and colonise a new world. (I'm a control freak so I don't let sectors redevelop).

I mean surely if sectors were smart then there would be no need for this mod?

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
BRB uninstalling all mods and waiting for the game to become perfect

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

GotLag posted:

BRB uninstalling all mods and waiting for the game to become perfect

Yeah, that's not what I was suggesting, just that whether or not this is a "I'm using this mod because sectors are broke still" or whether it was "Actually even if Sectors were run by super genius AI it's useful because...."

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Kitchner posted:

I mean surely if sectors were smart then there would be no need for this mod?

I think one of the options in the mod lets it override sector settings and the base game's build AI.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
You can use this mod to place buildings automatically on all the tiles, but I am using it purely to automate the upgrade treadmill. I place every initial structure, evaluating based on my empire needs and tile resources, then hand off to the mod to do all the upgrading busywork. I can't just colonise, place initial structures and then hand off to the sector because quite a few structures are unlocked with capital building upgrades.

Sectors force me to trust them with every decision or do everything myself, I can't use the hybrid automation model that the mod provides.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
In which I make a bunch of lame-rear end, been-done suggestions about federations

Edit: and can't count to five :downs:

GotLag fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Mar 27, 2017

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Wiz posted:

If you do this, it would be really cool if you set it up so that the synthetic portrait used by robots could be dynamic based on the species (by general type and maybe even the option to match up to specific choices, in case someone wants to make a fully custom race with their own synth model). It would be cool to see robots in the galaxy that don't all look exactly the same - especially with the upcoming expansion adding the ability to become robotic.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Good ideas though.

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

The Cheshire Cat posted:

If you do this, it would be really cool if you set it up so that the synthetic portrait used by robots could be dynamic based on the species (by general type and maybe even the option to match up to specific choices, in case someone wants to make a fully custom race with their own synth model). It would be cool to see robots in the galaxy that don't all look exactly the same - especially with the upcoming expansion adding the ability to become robotic.

There's already provisions within the portrait.txt document to specify portrait used for Pops/Leaders/Scientists/Genders - the addition of one for Robots would make this super easy to mod.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.

Dog Kisser posted:

There's already provisions within the portrait.txt document to specify portrait used for Pops/Leaders/Scientists/Genders - the addition of one for Robots would make this super easy to mod.

I think the issue now is that robots are considered a seperate race which is why it's not a quick fix currently, but that's prob different in Utopia anyway so I dont doubt there's at least something in the pipeline for robot species.

EDIT: didn't realize that was you posting; something you prob already knew :v:

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Yeah we just need something within a race file that's like robots = since right now robots are their own thing, there's no such thing as human robots or blorg robots, they all use the same art and there's nothing in the game defining who built the robot.

It's probably not a super easy fix for some mechanical reasons too. Right now same species = same portrait and name. So if you have different robots with different portraits they might get xenophobic. Although it seems natural to me that a human will feel much less xenophobic towards a synth of its own species vs a blorg synth, and that human syth if it's xenophobic would view the blorg synth as a different species. Who says robots all get along?

So it's not just as easy as adding some new hooks in, wiz would have to look at some mechanics as well.

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Mar 27, 2017

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

Mazz posted:

I think the issue now is that robots are considered a seperate race which is why it's not a quick fix currently, but that's prob different in Utopia anyway so I dont doubt there's at least something in the pipeline for robot species.

EDIT: didn't realize that was you posting; something you prob already knew :v:

Yeah, I know WHY it won't work, my suggestion was more like... my desired functionality v:shobon:v

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
So I've had some random thoughts on planetary invasion/land combat.

Right now it basically works like sieges in other Paradox games - you deploy your troops and if you have enough then after a bit of time you capture the planet. I think this is kind of boring and not very representative of an epic, planet-wide conflict.

Instead, I think it would be more interesting if planetary invasions were a more drawn out-affair - not something that requires constant babysitting but something that's more complex than just "drop troop pods -> wait". The basic idea would be that instead of conquering the planet all at once, troops would occupy it tile by tile, starting with a randomly chosen landing zone and spreading out from there. When a tile is occupied by an attacker, the tile output is sent to the attacking empire instead of the defender. Each occupied tile requires some troops to garrison it, meaning that it might be possible to end up without enough troops to occupy the whole planet. This is fine though, because even partial occupation would give some warscore, and there could be a notification if you've got a stalemate on a planet so you'd know to send more troop transports.

Some other thoughts based on this concept:
-Control of space around the planet would be very important - if the defenders get space superiority, the attackers wouldn't be able to heal any damage done to them (representing being cut off from reinforcements), allowing the defenders to take slowly take back the planet through attrition. Defenders would never take attrition since they can be assumed to be recruiting from the planetary population, but they wouldn't be able to expand their army unless they can get offworld reinforcements from troop transports (thus taking back the planet might be very slow if they were beaten down to just a light garrison).
-Planetary tiles could have terrain types, where different troops could perform better, encouraging a mixed army composition. Manual control of land invasions would be way too much micromanagement though, so armies should just attack/defend with the best troops they have for that particular terrain type.
-Rebellions could use the same system - instead of just taking a planet automatically they'd spawn with a bunch of troops and occupy as much territory as they can, recruiting more over time at a rate based on the strength of the rebelling faction, so they don't just end up stuck partially occupying the planet forever.
-Empires could set an occupation policy, with harsher ones getting more resources from occupied tiles while gentler ones require fewer troops to garrison occupied tiles.

The Cheshire Cat fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Mar 27, 2017

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."
Right now there are 'machine race' mods out there, so it's not impossible to mod the portraits in to a specific race type within a subsection called 'robots' - that's already been accomplished.

The main challenges, that I'll get to see in a week and a half's time, will be:
1.) Somehow making that race type subsection non-selectable at racegen (given I'd only want its portraits as such for the ascension box)
2.) Visually modding in two buttons below the portrait in said box for forwards and back
3.) Making said buttons source only from that specific race type portrait selection and none other

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.

Let any Federation member build federation fleet ships (they would still go to the leader though)

I hate getting a tiny fleet when our cap is like 300 but I'm busy rebuilding my fleet after a war, and then sit around at max ten years later.

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

The Cheshire Cat posted:

So I've had some random thoughts on planetary invasion/land combat.

Right now it basically works like sieges in other Paradox games - you deploy your troops and if you have enough then after a bit of time you capture the planet. I think this is kind of boring and not very representative of an epic, planet-wide conflict.

Instead, I think it would be more interesting if planetary invasions were a more drawn out-affair - not something that requires constant babysitting but something that's more complex than just "drop troop pods -> wait". The basic idea would be that instead of conquering the planet all at once, troops would occupy it tile by tile, starting with a randomly chosen landing zone and spreading out from there. When a tile is occupied by an attacker, the tile output is sent to the attacking empire instead of the defender. Each occupied tile requires some troops to garrison it, meaning that it might be possible to end up without enough troops to occupy the whole planet. This is fine though, because even partial occupation would give some warscore, and there could be a notification if you've got a stalemate on a planet so you'd know to send more troop transports.

Some other thoughts based on this concept:
-Control of space around the planet would be very important - if the defenders get space superiority, the attackers wouldn't be able to heal any damage done to them (representing being cut off from reinforcements), allowing the defenders to take slowly take back the planet through attrition. Defenders would never take attrition since they can be assumed to be recruiting from the planetary population, but they wouldn't be able to expand their army unless they can get offworld reinforcements from troop transports (thus taking back the planet might be very slow if they were beaten down to just a light garrison).
-Planetary tiles could have terrain types, where different troops could perform better, encouraging a mixed army composition. Manual control of land invasions would be way too much micromanagement though, so armies should just attack/defend with the best troops they have for that particular terrain type.
-Rebellions could use the same system - instead of just taking a planet automatically they'd spawn with a bunch of troops and occupy as much territory as they can, recruiting more over time at a rate based on the strength of the rebelling faction, so they don't just end up stuck partially occupying the planet forever.
-Empires could set an occupation policy, with harsher ones getting more resources from occupied tiles while gentler ones require fewer troops to garrison occupied tiles.

oh god no

tile management is one of the worst features in the game atm because of how poorly it fits with the game's scale, adding a tile-based siege minigame would make ground combat even worse

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

Crazycryodude posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Stellaris/comments/617n38/qol_feature_request_track_all/dfcgc9i/

Aw man Wiz you (and team) really are the best. I know we like to give you poo poo and make your life hell sometimes but we really do appreciate it.

To be entirely fair, Wiz never actually said the button DID anything.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

John Lee posted:

He already beat you to the punch on that one:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Stellaris/comments/617n38/qol_feature_request_track_all/dfcnhpl/

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

The function though is an instant crash to desktop.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

It deletes boot.ini as an homage to EVE Online.

VirtualStranger
Aug 20, 2012

:lol:
I wonder how the default pre-made empires are being tweaked to fit the new empire creator changes.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

I think there's a pretty good chance that all existing government types will continue to exist as the intersection of some authority and civics, so it's a matter of giving the premades the appropriate authority and civics.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

John Lee posted:

It makes the materialist FE yell at you for excessive automation.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

CrazyLoon posted:

Right now there are 'machine race' mods out there, so it's not impossible to mod the portraits in to a specific race type within a subsection called 'robots' - that's already been accomplished.

The main challenges, that I'll get to see in a week and a half's time, will be:
1.) Somehow making that race type subsection non-selectable at racegen (given I'd only want its portraits as such for the ascension box)
2.) Visually modding in two buttons below the portrait in said box for forwards and back
3.) Making said buttons source only from that specific race type portrait selection and none other

Just something to point out - you'll probably need the functionality at race-gen (and probably have it eventually), because there's a "starts with robots" trait. And I'm assuming the "starts with 2 species" trait will either let you customize your secondary species or will eventually.

DatonKallandor fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Mar 28, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Lol I just got a letter letting me know I'll have no power for 10 hours on the weekend utopia comes out.

• Locked thread