Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Shodai?
Shodai
SHODAI
View Results

Nativity In Black
Oct 24, 2012

If you're gonna have roads, you're gonna have roadkill.
God dammit, I really wanted to see a yokozuna dohyo iri and I'm literally a day late.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Takayasu playing the role of Gene Kranz, bringing that boy back to earth :cool:

whats for dinner
Sep 25, 2006

IT TURN OUT METAL FOR DINNER!

Abi vs Hoshoryu: c'mon nephew, how did you not see that one coming? Abi's only got two opening moves and it sure wasn't a henka

some kinda jackal posted:

Takayasu playing the role of Gene Kranz, bringing that boy back to earth :cool:

Really enjoyed Takayasu's little "that it?" head nod at the end

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

I tried casting Jme via Google's mirror-my-phone-screen functionality, which has always worked great for finicky apps or those without a native cast feature. I got audio and a blank screen. Thanks, Jme! Totally worth my $25 a month. :thumbsup:

Wound up watching Day 1 on my tablet propped up on an ottoman. Better than nothing, I guess.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
Looks like MidnightSumo is just done. I guess Twitch just doesn't want sumo on their platform for whatever reason. This loving sucks because that was the coziest stream for replays in the morning and the chill chat

I installed the Grand Sumo app and it seems legit but there's no Juryo content on there and that sucks. And as other people said there doesn't seem to be a way to hide match result spoilers. It also sucks that I can't watch this on my TV

But at least for now it's better than nothing and I can keep up with Makuuchi

Edit: OK so it looks like there's Juryo content but I can't figure out how to find a list of all the videos. I clicked on "Juryo 1st" and got one match but I can't find the others. If anyone can help me with that I'd appreciate it because I really like watching Juryo too

Elephant Ambush fucked around with this message at 14:57 on May 13, 2024

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

It's a little janky, I agree. Took me a minute to sort through the menus.

Click Torikumi -> Pick the day you want at the bottom -> Slide the top header to Juryo -> Pick the matchup you want (RIP, you're getting spoilers BTW) -> Select the match and you get a video

The phone UI is equivalent, I just don't have my phone on me ATM.

The UI is definitely not geared to watching a basho how I really WANT to consume it, but I'm hoping I can feed them enough suggestions that they just placate me to shut me up.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 15:14 on May 13, 2024

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

It's a little janky, I agree. Took me a minute to sort through the menus.

Click Torikumi -> Pick the day you want at the bottom -> Slide the top header to Juryo -> Pick the matchup you want (RIP, you're getting spoilers BTW) -> Select the match and you get a video

The UI is definitely not geared to watching a basho how I really WANT to consume it, but I'm hoping I can feed them enough suggestions that they just placate me to shut me up.

Thanks! I'll start leaving some feedback too

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

My eyesight is bad enough that I can live with spoilers since I don't register the results unless I focus so for once that works to my advantage. But yeah, actually no spoilers would be great.

Only other things I need are a "View all" button so I can just click once and a casting option/tv app and there's no reason for me to use Kinta/Etc.

I think it's still at a point where it's good enough to throw them money so they don't kill the project after the YT/Twitch options are killed off.

EDIT: How does everyone actually watch their sumo? My routine is just turn on office TV, go to YT and have the digest in while I'm "catching up on emails" in the morning.

pseudodragon fucked around with this message at 16:43 on May 13, 2024

MyChemicalImbalance
Sep 15, 2007

Keep on smilin'

:unsmith:
drat I miss old sumo YouTube. kintamayama, Jason and the other old channels did a lot of heavy lifting in getting me into this sport and it sucks to see that being removed as an option for new fans.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib

MyChemicalImbalance posted:

drat I miss old sumo YouTube. kintamayama, Jason and the other old channels did a lot of heavy lifting in getting me into this sport and it sucks to see that being removed as an option for new fans.

Kintamayama still posts
https://youtube.com/@morddresner
He was my original gateway into watching.

Iron Chef Nex
Jan 20, 2005
Serving up a hot buttered stabbing
Awww Onosato's hair grew long enough to just manage a cute little chonmage!

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

This is only my second tournament so I've got a lot of questions. Thanks in advance to anyone who wants to take a crack at any of it:

It's not without exception but it seems a lot of the smaller, more compact guys with more visible musculature are beating the guys with big overflowing body fat. Is this a trend? I think of Hakuho and Tochinoshin also being more visibly muscular. Does this have any different impact on the long-term health of the rikishi?

What's happening after the post-match bow? I assume the winner is taking like a winner's bonus envelope or something? What's the significance of the gesture they perform?

I think back to that bout where Hakuho just clobbered the guy with his forearm. If you can do that, why does it not happen more? And if you can throat thrust, why does *that* not happen more?

Do we ever learn that various rikishi are close friends? Hated enemies? Is there ever any kind of insight into their lives past the highly regimented grand tourneys?

Thanks again. Having a lot of fun with this!

Nehru the Damaja fucked around with this message at 18:03 on May 13, 2024

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Nehru the Damaja posted:

This is only my second tournament so I've got a lot of questions. Thanks in advance to anyone who wants to take a crack at any of it:

It's not without exception but it seems a lot of the smaller, more compact guys with more visible musculature are beating the guys with big overflowing body fat. Is this a trend? I think of Hakuho and Tochinoshin also being more visibly muscular. Does this have any different impact on the long-term health of the rikishi?

What's happening after the post-match bow? I assume the winner is taking like a winner's bonus envelope or something? What's the significance of the gesture they perform?

I think back to that bout where Hakuho just clobbered the guy with his forearm. If you can do that, why does it not happen more? And if you can throat thrust, why does *that* not happen more?

Do we ever learn that various rikishi are close friends? Hated enemies? Is there ever any kind of insight into their lives past the highly regimented grand tourneys?

Thanks again. Having a lot of fun with this!

Tochi and Hak were just overall monsters. Tochi was like 6'4 nearly 400 so it's not like they were small, they were just huge and jacked. The actual small but jacked guys still seem to have a ceiling at upper maegashira when they hit dudes that are bigger than the, and just as skilled/strong.

The post-match envelopes are their cut of the sponsor money. If you watch the longer digests where they show the parade of flags before the match, the price of sponsoring a flag includes a cash prize for the winner of the match. So I can buy a flag and say I want it on the last match of the day, or on Ura's match. And you can see the Yokozuna/Ozeki matches have big fat stacks of cash while an opening match might only have 1 or 2.

The actual gesture is something like a samurai slashing motion. So along the lines of a Catholic crossing themselves.

Not too sure about your last 2 questions though. They're pretty strict on social media so there isn't too much with guys hanging out. Only one I can think of is Kisenosato and Takayasu are BFF. And the Mongolians hang out and have a support group for each other, or at least the Hak/Kak/Harumafuji generation were tight. Not sure about the newer guys.

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Oh, the network slogan is true -- "watch FOX and be damned for all eternity!"

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Even the guys that appear to be overflowing with fat are still incredibly muscular underneath -- in sports medicine studies, sumo wrestlers have above-average %fat but also have some of the highest amounts of fat-free mass of any type of athlete. It's less of a trend, and more just the way some folks are built and how they carry their weight (e.g. visceral vs subcutaneous fat).

They're all roughly eating and training the same way; it's mostly just individual bodily differences.

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Yep, the envelope they take away is a bonus for the winner -- half of which immediately goes to them, and half to a retirement account.

The gesture is called 'tegatana' and is meant to resemble a sword slash -- three movements, each thanking a specific god for the win. Sumopedia has a piece on it (#39 - Ceremonial Hand Gestures).

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Both moves are putting you at risk to have that arm pulled forward and down. Hakuho could get away with it because he had the agility and expertise to anticipate a throw and recover from it.

Nehru the Damaja posted:

All the time. A lot of rikishi come from the same high school wrestling programs and were previous classmates/etc.. Rivalries develop too, but are a lot rarer.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Elephant Ambush posted:

Looks like MidnightSumo is just done. I guess Twitch just doesn't want sumo on their platform for whatever reason. This loving sucks because that was the coziest stream for replays in the morning and the chill chat
IIRC he's going to see about moving to YouTube for July. The weird part, Karla_Sumoist and others are still chugging along with the same style setup that Midnight has, but hasn't copped a ban. I'm still thinking someone is intentionally targeting his channel.

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.
Definitely feels intentional / report spamming for Midnight. Sucks. And this is after he jumped through all the hoops to be more than "just a replay channel." I'm thinking it's because he wasn't there to comment and do extra stuff since he's actually at the basho, so some weirdos took the shot and reported him for just broadcasting content again.

Don't have an extra $25 / month for the new app, and I don't want to try and follow a bunch of different people who keep changing locations to avoid bans. MidnightSumo was the easiest way for me to catch everything since I like watching all the lower division stuff, too. I'll probably just peace out and see how things are looking for July.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Bentai posted:

IIRC he's going to see about moving to YouTube for July. The weird part, Karla_Sumoist and others are still chugging along with the same style setup that Midnight has, but hasn't copped a ban. I'm still thinking someone is intentionally targeting his channel.

I think it is a combination of sheer size and the lack of commentary on this basho-- Midnight is in Japan and watching the tournament live. The others are far, far smaller than Midnight's channel is.

KariOhki
Apr 22, 2008

pseudodragon posted:

How does everyone actually watch their sumo? My routine is just turn on office TV, go to YT and have the digest in while I'm "catching up on emails" in the morning.

Make coffee, grab that days link (or links if I feel like watching more than Makuuchi) from Natto's discord, put it on as I sip coffee and flip through work emails until I hear/see someone I want to see come on and then I pay attention fully.

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Man that sucks about Midnight, his stream is the best. I've enjoyed putting on the replays on days I work from home.

Banana Canada posted:

Players affected by kyujo - Day 02 Fusen / Day 03 Trade:

Medenmath

No substitutions. :colbert:

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Amiuchi! Now that's an exotic move

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Bentai posted:

That's what he said last basho but I was under the impression that whoever was targeting him was targeting sumo twitch streamers in general but I guess that wasn't the case

The stupid hand gesture thing before taking the prize money envelopes is one of those things that pisses me off about sumo culture. There was literally no good reason to make that hand gesture a standard. That gesture didn't exist for 1300+ years but some old retired rear end in a top hat in the 60s decided that he wanted to put his personal little stamp on sumo history and came up with it, and I bet he spent way more time workshopping ideas for it than he did on anything else at the time. As if we need to restrict rikishi self expression even further and increase the amount of conformity in Japanese culture. And I'm sure that guy, on more than one occasion, said something like "this new standard hand gesture will surely please the Shinto gods" out loud in front of some people and nobody pointed and laughed

If you're new to sumo I would say that the first thing you need to learn is that the sumo you see today is a product of the 50s and 60s. They made a lot of big changes back then, including making the ring bigger and moving to a 15 day basho. There are people (not on these forums) who really want people to believe that modern sumo is perfectly preserved from 1400 years ago with minimal changes and that is pure horse poo poo

One of the biggest sumo culture struggles you'll see is the fight between people who see sumo primarily as a sport, and the people who who want it to be primarily about Shinto and Japanese traditions and use sumo as some weird proxy for modeling how all Japanese men should think and behave

Sumo is inextricable from its Shinto roots so you'll probably never see it presented primarily as a sport, and that's fine. But it's also really aggravating to people like Hakuho who is literally the GOAT and was constantly pushing boundaries and dealing with the retired Olds constantly telling him "yeah you won but it didn't feel right. you didn't win the right way". Fortunately for him he was so dominant that he could mostly ignore them but now that he's retired they're really trying to minimize his legacy in a bunch of bullshit ways

I know this has gone off on a tangent but I'll post one final thing that new sumo fans should probably know: the JSA (retired rikishi who are on the board of decision makers) are turbo racist and they are white hot angry at how so many Mongolians are coming to Japan and out-performing some of the best native Japanese wrestlers. They are livid that the guy who not only holds all the most important records but also shattered them over his knee is not Japanese

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Is there a better way to experience this than the daily digest from NHK? Is it worth watching with all the delays and stuff that come with seeing it live?

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Is there a better way to experience this than the daily digest from NHK? Is it worth watching with all the delays and stuff that come with seeing it live?

NattoSumo posts links on his Discord for each day. I suggest that.

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

SHODAI!

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

:hai:

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

i like kintamayama's digests and he's still on youtube

https://www.youtube.com/@MordDresner

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Elephant Ambush posted:

That's what he said last basho but I was under the impression that whoever was targeting him was targeting sumo twitch streamers in general but I guess that wasn't the case

The stupid hand gesture thing before taking the prize money envelopes is one of those things that pisses me off about sumo culture. There was literally no good reason to make that hand gesture a standard. That gesture didn't exist for 1300+ years but some old retired rear end in a top hat in the 60s decided that he wanted to put his personal little stamp on sumo history and came up with it, and I bet he spent way more time workshopping ideas for it than he did on anything else at the time. As if we need to restrict rikishi self expression even further and increase the amount of conformity in Japanese culture. And I'm sure that guy, on more than one occasion, said something like "this new standard hand gesture will surely please the Shinto gods" out loud in front of some people and nobody pointed and laughed

If you're new to sumo I would say that the first thing you need to learn is that the sumo you see today is a product of the 50s and 60s. They made a lot of big changes back then, including making the ring bigger and moving to a 15 day basho. There are people (not on these forums) who really want people to believe that modern sumo is perfectly preserved from 1400 years ago with minimal changes and that is pure horse poo poo

One of the biggest sumo culture struggles you'll see is the fight between people who see sumo primarily as a sport, and the people who who want it to be primarily about Shinto and Japanese traditions and use sumo as some weird proxy for modeling how all Japanese men should think and behave

Sumo is inextricable from its Shinto roots so you'll probably never see it presented primarily as a sport, and that's fine. But it's also really aggravating to people like Hakuho who is literally the GOAT and was constantly pushing boundaries and dealing with the retired Olds constantly telling him "yeah you won but it didn't feel right. you didn't win the right way". Fortunately for him he was so dominant that he could mostly ignore them but now that he's retired they're really trying to minimize his legacy in a bunch of bullshit ways

I know this has gone off on a tangent but I'll post one final thing that new sumo fans should probably know: the JSA (retired rikishi who are on the board of decision makers) are turbo racist and they are white hot angry at how so many Mongolians are coming to Japan and out-performing some of the best native Japanese wrestlers. They are livid that the guy who not only holds all the most important records but also shattered them over his knee is not Japanese

We just like watching sumo here op

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Nehru the Damaja posted:

In addition to the pull risk, the forearm shot is one of those things that is technically legal but which is also frowned upon by the Grumpy Old Men of sumo. Hakuho never really cared about their opinion, but even he didn't do that kind of thing very often. Personally, I am not a fan of it myself. It's effective, sure, but one of the things I like about sumo is that it's generally not a sport where I'm watching dudes do their best to concuss each other.

The throat thrust is called the "nodowa" and it's fairly common. Tamawashi in particular is known for it. Hiro interviewed him on Sumo Prime Time and there's a bit about it there.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CBxVTF-uXFs

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Genius. Billionaire. Playboy. Philanthropist.

Day 2 Notes

Added after Day 1:
code:
Everyone's Favorite Poster	
Y/O:	Hoshoryu	
S/K:	Abi	
M1-5:	Tobizaru	
M6-M10:	Mitakeumi	
M11+:	Roga
Kyujo trading:

Beexofel - Kirishima
Medenmath - Honor
Lid - Kotozakura
Boogalo - Hoshoryu
Thauros - Kotozakura

I am hoping that there are no more injuries at the top because we are running very low on viable sumotori at this point. I am excited to see what the rest of the tournament gives us going forward.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Shonanoumi vs. Shodai ruled.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

never mind i see i was automatically assigned a new guy

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Paying2Lurk posted:

Don't have an extra $25 / month for the new app, and I don't want to try and follow a bunch of different people who keep changing locations to avoid bans. MidnightSumo was the easiest way for me to catch everything since I like watching all the lower division stuff, too. I'll probably just peace out and see how things are looking for July.
The official NSK Grand Sumo app is free! With ads, or you can pay a nominal one-time (?) fee to get rid of those. Jme is basically all kinds of NHK content and a subscription service that replaced the subscription TV Japan cable channel. It's overkill if all you want is sumo.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
if looking for a replacement for Midnight on youtube when the bashos on just search sumo or basho under live, theres like a dozen or more streams from Japan for Japanese audiences

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
There’s the livestream on kick with the English commentary too

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

https://www.nikkansports.com/battle/sumo/news/202405140000563.html

Deepl posted:

Takayasu (34, Tagonoura), a former ozeki-ranked ozeki and the third highest-ranking ozeki in the east maegashira division, was out of action on the third day of the Summer Tournament, the 14th.
Fuuuuuuuck. :smith:

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Jesus this guy in a lower division bout was 210kg. I've never seen someone that big wrestle.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Dewanojo? Yeah he's a fridge, one of the biggest currently fighting.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

So catching up on the tegatana thing, this is literally like if golf spontaneously decided that everybody had to do the Chi Chi Rodriguez thing of fencing with your putter to celebrate a birdie? Like it is precisely that arbitrary and silly?

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

P.much yes:
http://www.sumoforum.net/forums/topic/15451-right-hand-dominance/?tab=comments#comment-147861

quote:

Traditionally, there was no special gesture or ritual for taking prizes - particularly in the days before the kensho system we have now was put into place! The tradition of the action (tegatana wo kiru, "cutting with the hand-sword") was begun by a pre-war Ozeki named Nayoroiwa. He felt that simply taking the money lacked a certain class, so he began using the tegatana to make the character "kokoro", meaning "heart", which looks like this:

He would do the three dots left to right, and then take the money with the bottom sweeping stroke. (This, incidentally, is not considered the correct way to write the character.) This action was soon copied by other rikishi, and the tradition was born.

After the war, when Futabayama had become Tokitsukaze Rijicho, he felt that the way rikishi were doing it was sloppy, so he said it should be done center - left - right, and that it was a gesture of thanks to the three gods Ame-no-minakanushi, Takami-musubi, and Kami-musubi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Old men complaining about younger guys not playing it the right way, a famously and uniquely Japanese and sumo problem.