Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Excels posted:

i like the soundbyte for mario talking in M&L, it's like "SCABITABOOPITYBAP"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jj84qXDT8S0

wow man i've never played these games but that's ridiculous

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Triple Triad on my phone is scratching that itch I'd forgotten I'd had, but this 5-games-every-2.5-hours things is bullshit.

Sordas Volantyr
Jan 11, 2015

Now, everybody, walk like a Jekhar.

(God, these running animations are terrible.)

Excels posted:

i like the soundbyte for mario talking in M&L, it's like "SCABITABOOPITYBAP"

To me, it sounded a bit more like this
Mario: "SCABOOPITIBATO"
Luigi: "AHBORLEABANO"

Booourns
Jan 20, 2004
Please send a report when you see me complain about other posters and threads outside of QCS

~thanks!

Saoshyant posted:

My favorite Triple Triad memory is (spoiler for disc 3 of FF8) the space station being ready to blow up and Squall stops everything to ask Ellone to play a children's card game and she's completely baffled "Now??". You're the best Squall, don't let anyone say otherwise.

gently caress playing cards in space, every lovely rule is in effect and you can only abolish one of them

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Chaotic Flame posted:

Triple Triad on my phone is scratching that itch I'd forgotten I'd had, but this 5-games-every-2.5-hours things is bullshit.

Yup...gently caress mobile gaming.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."

Tempo 119 posted:

It has decent AA and it has 2x downsampling, the problem is they're both controlled by the same slider and it just says "antialiasing", so the people who usually crank all their graphics settings to Highest are getting a tasty surprise.

I guess my faith has already crumbled, since I'm now instinctively reaching for the pitchfork... EDIT: Their AA implementation is still quite obtuse compared to how it's usually done.

Well, I'll have another look at Type-0 in the future once they iron out the issues. After all, I do want to play it.

Blattdorf fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Aug 22, 2015

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Booourns posted:

gently caress playing cards in space, every lovely rule is in effect and you can only abolish one of them

If you feel like going to the trouble, you can clean up Lunar's rules before going into space. There's an NPC in Lunar Gate who'll be willing to play cards with you after you challenge them a few times, even with a launch about to happen. Just have to make sure that the first thing you abolish is a rule present in Esthar, so you can use its rules to combine after that.

But honestly you'll have less of a headache just skipping it and getting the cards you missed from the left Diamond girl (Trabia rules, FYI) in the disc 4 CC group.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

I never really got into VIII so I never played much (any?) Triple Triad. Might try a few games, see what all the fuss is about.

McDragon fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Aug 22, 2015

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Wait, is there really a theatrhyhm ios game? Anyone tried it?

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Vil posted:

If you feel like going to the trouble, you can clean up Lunar's rules before going into space. There's an NPC in Lunar Gate who'll be willing to play cards with you after you challenge them a few times, even with a launch about to happen. Just have to make sure that the first thing you abolish is a rule present in Esthar, so you can use its rules to combine after that.

But honestly you'll have less of a headache just skipping it and getting the cards you missed from the left Diamond girl (Trabia rules, FYI) in the disc 4 CC group.

The girl won't play cards til after you're finished in space. You have to deal with all the rules (or minus one, hopefully Plus or Random) in space if you want Laguna in Disc 3.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Tae posted:

Wasn't it ios originally? I think it was one of those free and then you pay for everything individually type things.

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.

McDragon posted:

Wasn't it ios originally? I think it was one of those free and then you pay for everything individually type things.

No, it started out on the 3DS and then got a iOS port.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Oh, must be thinking of something else then.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Volt Catfish posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jj84qXDT8S0

wow man i've never played these games but that's ridiculous

Literally the Family Guy scene where Peter's speaking gibberish at an Italian guy.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Tae posted:

Well first of all it's the base Theatrythm game, which is WAY worse compared to Curtain Call. But then they stripped out a lot more stuff from it, and make you pay for every single song instead of just the DLC ones (It starts with I think 2 songs).

Just get Curtain Call which starts with hundreds and then has optional DLC on top of that, as well as a really neat quest mode that gives a bit of structure to the game.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
It's a sad thought that there are people ITT who like FF and its music but haven't played Curtain Call. The (now undoubtedly dead) online multiplayer in that game was some of the most fun I've ever had with video games and even after clocking in a good 200 hours, I still have songs I haven't cleared on all difficulties. Hell, I only unlocked the last character a couple of weeks ago, although tobe fair I mostly do the 5 daily "Top hits" nowadays when I play.

That game was one of the few shining stars of an otherwise terrible video game year.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Kanfy posted:

It's a sad thought that there are people ITT who like FF and its music but haven't played Curtain Call. The (now undoubtedly dead) online multiplayer in that game was some of the most fun I've ever had with video games and even after clocking in a good 200 hours, I still have songs I haven't cleared on all difficulties. Hell, I only unlocked the last character a couple of weeks ago, although tobe fair I mostly do the 5 daily "Top hits" nowadays when I play.

That game was one of the few shining stars of an otherwise terrible video game year.

I hopped online for a bit the other day and it's still somewhat active but either people who like just picked up the game and are completely new, or people with 999 hours played

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Curtain Call is amazing. I wish the Music Player had the option of also showing the actual track being played in the game, going to every one individually and hitting Play Demo isn't the same.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Just got my first 5-star card in Triple Triad. It's Ramza. :kimchi:

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

ApplesandOranges posted:

The girl won't play cards til after you're finished in space. You have to deal with all the rules (or minus one, hopefully Plus or Random) in space if you want Laguna in Disc 3.

That's what I was referring to about challenging a few times. At first she's like "you dumbass, there's a launch about to happen and I'm on duty, now is NOT the time for playing cards" and then later, after the fourth challenge or so, she relents and is all "fine, if you want to play cards that badly, sure, let's have a game". Nisi fallor it's the guard outside the building, on the right.

Admittedly it's been a few years and I could be misremembering, but if anyone's got a save in that vicinity they could test it out pretty easily.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
So, just for anyone who's thinking of buying the FF7 port for iOS: make sure you plan to play it on a 3rd-gen or later iPad, or 5s+ phone. In my haste to download it, I did not notice it mentioned this on the App Store page, and while it runs alright on my iPad 2 most of the time, certain aspects of the game (like the motorcycle chase, and walking around the world map) are nigh-unplayable.

EDIT: The iPad Air 2 runs everything so much better!

PT6A fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Aug 23, 2015

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
What's an easy way to beat wiegraf in war of the Lions? I don't have the patience to grind out levels and deal with this guy's bullshit again.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Kingtheninja posted:

What's an easy way to beat wiegraf in war of the Lions? I don't have the patience to grind out levels and deal with this guy's bullshit again.

go in as dragoon with a couple of the jump skills and jump over and over on your turn, only about half his attacks'll hit you, that's how i cheesed him last time i played. even easier if you spend the first few rounds running away and yelling so that you outspeed him

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Fungah! posted:

running away and yelling

The real MVP.

Really, Yell and a fast class are all you need. Auto Potion helps.

Chickenfrogman
Sep 16, 2011

by exmarx
Ninja with Martial Arts and Guts. Equip a movement accessory, run away and yell until you're getting three turns for each one of his, then Accumulate. Repeat until you can kill him in one hit, then kill Velius in one hit.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Thanks, I've been running around as a knight with dual wield, but I might switch to something faster with dual wield.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

It's really easy to break most fights over your knee if you just Yell at yourself all the time. Near the endgame, you can upgrade to Scream.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Kingtheninja posted:

The easy way to beat everything in FFT is to have a high-Brave character of your favorite cloth armor class with Barefisted and Auto-Potion. Put on clothes that increase your speed and attack power and then proceed to melt everything with your fists. If you have a full party of this loadout, almost everything is a joke. It's even fairly cheap to run as far as armor shopping goes, and you never need to buy weapons.

Pick up Time Mage's Teleport for even more fun!

CeallaSo
May 3, 2013

Wisdom from a Fool

The White Dragon posted:

The easy way to beat everything in FFT is to have a high-Brave character of your favorite cloth armor class with Barefisted and Auto-Potion. Put on clothes that increase your speed and attack power and then proceed to melt everything with your fists. If you have a full party of this loadout, almost everything is a joke. It's even fairly cheap to run as far as armor shopping goes, and you never need to buy weapons.

Pick up Time Mage's Teleport for even more fun!

Getting Draw Out / Iaido on a high-Mag class is another fairly easy method to obliterate practically anything the game can throw at you, though admittedly it requires a resource with a certain degree of exclusivity early-game. But being able to deal large amounts of damage both at a distance and in close-range bursts coupled with strong party-only healing and status effects like Protect/Shell and Haste/Regen means that even just one character with this loadout can handle most battles without much difficulty.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
The only time that game was hard was during my first playthrough - I wiped multiple times on the first battle, then multiple times on the first random encounter, and finally a few times against Cúchulainn.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
I went back into Type 0 and beat the Level 36 Expert Trial with a level 20 party. Jesus Christ that mission just wouldn't end.

I know they're meant for NG+ but come on, thought I, surely a 14-man party is enough for any challenge. Turns out the answer is no, it's not. A 25-man party, on the other hand, can barely scrape through. Thank God for the Support cadets.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

Kingtheninja posted:

Thanks, I've been running around as a knight with dual wield, but I might switch to something faster with dual wield.

I wouldn't even bother with dual wield if you're doing g the tailwind/focus tactic, you won't need the extra attack power but more defence might help. I just did this fight at a quite low level, and he kept killing me before I was getting enough turns. What helped was getting white mage's Regenerate, as I didn't have autopotion.

Worklurker
Jan 2, 2014
Regarding the final fantasy 7 port on iOS: is the game supposed to run at turbo speed? The music plays at proper speed but every thing is sped up greatly. If it's not a bug but a feature, it really makes battles go by quicker like bravely default.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Worklurker posted:

Regarding the final fantasy 7 port on iOS: is the game supposed to run at turbo speed? The music plays at proper speed but every thing is sped up greatly. If it's not a bug but a feature, it really makes battles go by quicker like bravely default.

I would not be shocked at all if that is intentional. They added speed-up features to a lot of their other ports with autobattling and such.

The Machine
Dec 15, 2004
Rage Against / Welcome to
I miss Curtain Call DLC.

Inside Outside
Jul 31, 2005

Worklurker posted:

It's a bug. Mine did the same thing the first time I played it, and hasn't done it since.

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW
Okay so my update on FF-0 so far. Holy poo poo :negative: They've really pissed all over final fantasy since I last really played one which was like 6 or 7.

This mother talk thing is super creepy for all the clearly capsule bred children of the sultry scientist.

They bastardized moogles for god's sake!
I'm really not liking the story so far and the fact they took 3 minutes in a cut scene to tell me what a save point was. (Which I everyone already had figured out.)

The game started out really good with the tutorial but is quickly crumbling with all this bullshit in between.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

If you haven't played Final Fantasy in like 15 years you should pick up X HD or something instead

E: oh I misread but pick up X/X-2 anyway

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Oh yeah, they hosed up moogles. But I liked all the different designs at least, and some of them had pretty great personalities. There's a trophy for finding them all I think.

I should carry on with Type 0, I was quite enjoying it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006

Inside Outside posted:

It's a bug. Mine did the same thing the first time I played it, and hasn't done it since.

My copy would always do this if I opened the app with the Music or Podcast apps in the background. If I force close everything, FF7 will work fine.