Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Mickolution posted:

I saw very mixed reviews when it came out, so stayed away. I had just recently seen Of Mics and Men and didn't see how it could top that. Highly recommended, if you haven't seen it.

haven't will check out! is that Hulu, as well?

Marching Powder posted:

Oh I don't know if it's been getting good reviews, it a columnist who writes well enjoys it as a rap enthusiast.

well i watch enough Futurama repeats that i have plenty of time for at least watching the first ep

edit: shameful snype, have the latest single from Gang Starr
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JygHtlGt9Kc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards

Johnny Truant posted:

haven't will check out! is that Hulu, as well?

It's Showtime I think. I have that add on with Hulu. It's a 4 part documentary about them. They're involved, so it's very much the side of things that RZA wanted to show, but that's how these things are. Well worth a look.

DROP TABLE PHIZ
Feb 10, 2018

IF YOU AIN'T GETTIN LIT YOU BETTER STAY OUT BITCH

succ posted:

anyone know what happened to deniro farrar?

he hasn't made or released anything in a bit.

he had an EP/tape in february called Re-up

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UVadfCxNnoY

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

Henchman of Santa posted:

I like Breihan but his voice is so specific that you can almost predict his sentences after a while, and of course you have to keep in mind when you’re reading that he’s a white guy hovering around 40.

Your Old Droog recently called him one of the worst writers out there on twitter but I don’t think there was a follow up as to why.

Tried to look back and see where the beef was, but Tom's always written favorably about him. Even included Packs in his list of Top 40 rap albums back in 2017. Maybe legit just doesn't like his writing style?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

The Modern Leper posted:

Tried to look back and see where the beef was, but Tom's always written favorably about him. Even included Packs in his list of Top 40 rap albums back in 2017. Maybe legit just doesn't like his writing style?

Yeah Tom asked him why and he responded that he wouldn't say publicly. Coward move imo

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Man I was excited to read some actual good rap discussion and boy was it disappointing to see Breihan of all people. He's not absolutely the worst but he def has a stereotypical p4k writing style that leaks all over his stuff (unsurprising since he used to do a bunch of rap reviews for them).

Basically still the only good rap writers are Bol and Noz, and Noz don't even write poo poo anymore.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
This hit: https://twitter.com/earlxsweat/status/1184324649754120192

I agree. I mean, what is there to write about in music? The early 2010s had some cool new things happening in rap but it’s all been absorbed and regurgitated. Gucci Gang is just a Lil B song. Gucci Mane hasn’t made anything super interesting since getting out but the last one I cared about was the original Woptober.

You’ve got the same big artists, doing the same poo poo. DaBaby is the first guy in awhile that I can think of blowing up. Otherwise it’s been Cole, Migos, Chance, Kanye, Thug, Gucci, etc.

It just feels like there’s stagnation.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I feel like that was a joke you’re misinterpreting

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

IT'S YOUR BOY JESUS, MANE
Wish Dababy had more things to talk about, he's got a great voice but his projects sound samey outside the big hits. Kirk was only slightly better in this regard

Robert Analog
Feb 16, 2008

shyah
I think drill will overtake trap as the dominant subgenre eventually

KVeezy3
Aug 18, 2005

Airport Music for Black Folk
Earl's not joking, he's clowning on something very specifically not music journalism.
https://twitter.com/earlxsweat/status/1184560755804270592

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

Robert Analog posted:

Club music though will never go mainstream and that is why its cool

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k5jXrDLziiI

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
Sorry. I meant I agree w the other posters that there isn’t great rap journalism.

But that Earl tweet is so us sometimes.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Robert Analog posted:

IMO Drill doesn't have a distinct enough sound. The early stuff when it was more chicago focused sure, but that also seems to have largely faded away. All the UK stuff that gets posted sounds more of an outgrowth of grime to me than anything related to drill. Also doesn't lend itself as well for crossover appeal.

also earl's been p insufferable since he came back from whatever camp he got sent to. his first mixtape with of is still by far his best work

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Trap essentially mass incorporated the Chicago drill style years ago

What I'm saying is that Keef might be the most influential rapper of the 10s

Dexo fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Oct 24, 2019

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

yeah agree with above, chicago drill is trap now, hence you got like g herbo and southside albums

and uk drill is just grime with masks i guess

Robert Analog
Feb 16, 2008

shyah

alansmithee posted:

IMO Drill doesn't have a distinct enough sound. The early stuff when it was more chicago focused sure, but that also seems to have largely faded away. All the UK stuff that gets posted sounds more of an outgrowth of grime to me than anything related to drill. Also doesn't lend itself as well for crossover appeal.

also earl's been p insufferable since he came back from whatever camp he got sent to. his first mixtape with of is still by far his best work

Admittedly I'm awful at predicting trends, and I think the genre needs another breakout star like chief keef, but almost every new NY artist I hear is drill-ish, and a lot of the vernacular has become commonplace. I don't really listen to UK music so I can't comment on the UK version, but as our cultural pendulum swings away from autotune young thug clones, I think people are going to gravitate towards something a lot more aggressive.

e; yeah I can see the above comments about it just being absorbed, but I think there will be more of a distinction between the two eventually

Robert Analog fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Oct 24, 2019

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Like It was Smurda who was going to be next. He was just making Chicago Drill but in NY so it was treated as revolutionary.

Smurda got locked up tho rip.

This did go hard tho.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8OtiyVvRytk

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

https://mobile.twitter.com/Complex/status/1187458108156776453

quote:

Later on, Kanye mentioned how he had toyed with the idea of having those working on music with him engage in fasting. But he also put down one rule during the production of Jesus Is King, one that might sound controversial to those familiar with his older music. Kanye revealed that he asked people working on Jesus Is King with him to not have premartial sex while working on the project. 

"I was asking people to... this is gonna be radical what I’m about to say," he started. "There were times where I was asking people to not have premarital sex while they were working. [...] I know that’s one where The Shade Room gonna be like, 'what you meaaaan don’t have premarital sex? you better turn that Meg The Stallion on right now.' But seriously there’s times where I went to people that were working on other projects and said 'could you just work and focus on this?'" 

He continued, "I thought if we could all focus and fast, I mean it’s known when people pray together families that pray together stay together. When people pray together, and fast together, the power is increased."

quote:

"I would say so," he said when asked about whether he sees it as a donation to his "cause" or not. "Everything I do is for the church, even designing a shoe. Jon 3:16 instead of 350's. Now everything is for the church the vision that I have to be an innovator. Christian Innovator. There are a lot of organizations that have figured how to use creativity and innovation," he added.

Ultimately he said his desire from here on out is to "spread the gospel." 

Mr Ice Cream Glove fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Oct 24, 2019

Robert Analog
Feb 16, 2008

shyah
Here's a bold stance: Kanye's life and mental state would be better off without religion

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Hey guys is there any news about young thug

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
"Kanye revealed that he asked people working on Jesus Is King with him to not have premartial sex while working on the project. "

ah ha ha ha ha ha ha

ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

I wonder how that went for you chief

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

quote:

”God is funny. Drake lives four blocks down the street from me. So that shows you that God has a sense of humor. Now, liberals love art, right?

And now—I am unquestionably, undoubtedly, the greatest human artist of all time. It’s not even a question at this point. It’s just a fact. For the greatest artist in human existence to put a red hat on was God’s practical joke to all liberals. Like, Nooo, not Kanye!”

You think he can’t top himself and then just

just

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Yeah this album is going to be complete rear end

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
He's gone full dad

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
Kanye is turning into Creflo Dollar

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
He's gone full rear end dad

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

IT'S YOUR BOY JESUS, MANE
boomye

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
is this what it was like when Bob Dylan started making Christian rock

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Housh posted:

Hey guys is there any news about young thug

Here's some news:

Young thug is good!!!

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

alansmithee posted:

Man I was excited to read some actual good rap discussion and boy was it disappointing to see Breihan of all people. He's not absolutely the worst but he def has a stereotypical p4k writing style that leaks all over his stuff (unsurprising since he used to do a bunch of rap reviews for them).

Basically still the only good rap writers are Bol and Noz, and Noz don't even write poo poo anymore.

it would have been nice to link to where theis guy bol is actually writing now so people with bad taste in rap writers can educated themselves and maybe the conversation could rift more into this territory which you claim to enjoy but apparently hate.

just joking, i'll google it.

i still can't get over how good 2019 has been. fell in love with sada baby, finally got denzel curry, met slowthai (figuratively) as a surrogate mike skinner and reacquainted myself with my grime roots and updated myself on britain's current scene, banger albums from gibbs and danny, i mean god drat.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

So I just got out of Jesus is King in IMAX and that was...not the new album. It was a gospel choir singing and bible verses. Kanye performs a rendition of Street Lights, and I think the end credits contained a song from the new album, but yeah. Don't go see that lol

hughesta
Jun 12, 2012

i know its super duper kooper
cool like up the bitches snitches

Rageaholic posted:

So I just got out of Jesus is King in IMAX and that was...not the new album. It was a gospel choir singing and bible verses. Kanye performs a rendition of Street Lights, and I think the end credits contained a song from the new album, but yeah. Don't go see that lol
yeah the movie ain't good. album is good, I caught someone livestreaming it at the premiere last night. I'm sure it'll get a ton of flack in here but it's certainly a huge step above Ye and I'd probably put it above a couple of the Kanye albums I'm not super into

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Marching Powder posted:

it would have been nice to link to where theis guy bol is actually writing now so people with bad taste in rap writers can educated themselves and maybe the conversation could rift more into this territory which you claim to enjoy but apparently hate.

just joking, i'll google it.

i still can't get over how good 2019 has been. fell in love with sada baby, finally got denzel curry, met slowthai (figuratively) as a surrogate mike skinner and reacquainted myself with my grime roots and updated myself on britain's current scene, banger albums from gibbs and danny, i mean god drat.

Bol is Byron Crawford. He's got some...different views. Tbh I don't know if he even fucks with much modern rap and he def says things that would land him outside the whole "woke" culture but he's funny and I think comes at a lot of rap stuff from what I'd say is a more "black" perspective than you see a lot of writers. He's got a few books out, used to write for a couple larger sites when that was a thing (XXL and someone else) and does freelance writing scattered around (I think on Medium and some other places).

Noz is still on twitter I think and maybe does some random stuff but I haven't seen him write anything in awhile which is unfortunate because he's maybe the only person I saw try to actually approach rap music on it's own terms from a criticism perspective-he treated it like an actual art form. Breihan isn't horrible entirely but a lot of his stuff often seems to have the voice of someone who's observing something in a zoo rather than actual appreciation of the art form. Maybe he's gotten better though idk most of what I was familiar with was his reviews and stuff, and some earlier stuff he wrote that was mildly cringeworthy.

And that's a fair shot, tbh I'd like to do more actual "discussion" but it doesn't seem to be something appreciated around here anymore much so I largely refrain. There's been a ton of albums this year that I think would def warrant it but it's like ehh. And I know I just called him insufferable but that earl tweet about how everything just seems to boil down to "it's good" or "it sucks" kinda hits home around here even, where you'd expect not being limited to 240 characters would allow for a bit more depth. I also found it a bit funny the dude who quoted the tweet was complaining about there being nothing to discuss (entirely missing the point of the tweet, which wasn't a lack of things to discuss but how the discussions are generally taking place) since there's a ton of great stuff that's come out, and all sorts of angles you could dive into it. Hell, you could basically do a graduate course on every billy woods album and write doctoral theses from close readings of his lines. The british government is literally trying to strongarm and block a bunch of the Drill dudes from making music, while dudes in the US are being persecuted for their lines. The last problem facing rap is a lack of things to talk about.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

It's a God drat shame that what's perceived to be appreciated here is holding back some thoughtful posting. I know real opinions on scary topics make people feel vulnerable and uncomfortable and fall back on irony posting but when actual discussion takes place I genuinely enjoy this thread for reasons other than finding cool music.

That said, I can understand why people don't. Thanks for the Bryan Crawford hook up, I'll check him out...

Also, I loving love Doja Cat. She raps hot fire in this and the visuals.... God drat

https://youtu.be/UVadfCxNnoY

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
Lil Nas X and Tyler are only real interesting albums so far.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

temple posted:

Lil Nas X and Tyler are only real interesting albums so far.

That's a really strong take on a year such as this. Good for you though.

I just don't get the Tyler album. It'll probably be like AE for me. I just have to sit on it for a few years before it clicks.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
nvm

emdash fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Oct 25, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

succ
Nov 11, 2016

by Cyrano4747
this instrumental is too good and it is getting remixed a lot recently

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ae6yuPO_cC4

i missed the drill discussion, but yeah UK/NY drill is blowing up now, Chicago drill has changed a bit.