Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

JawnV6 posted:

my first college programming assignment was w/ Karel the Robot, a C framework that spun up a little GUI with a robot that walked around and put down tiles on a grid

it was just 1 assignment, went to real C w/ printf the next week, but i still think that had the spark of "usable" and to this day i don't understand coursework that starts with diving into linker options
lol I was just talking to the creator last week about how sad he is that he had to leave CMU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

lol I was just talking to the creator last week about how sad he is that he had to leave CMU

searching for Karel apparently they upgraded it to Java? smh?

aardvaard
Mar 4, 2013

you belong in the bog of eternal stench

my school didn't teach programming. i learned it myself, thanks to my computer toucher dad.

my first language was mswlogo and it was great. so many pretty shapes.

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Bloody posted:

tbf its simplest in embedded. you put your first instruction at 0x0200 because the reset value of the program counter is 0x0200

why is it 0x0200? well, it had to be something, so it's that

c is a good first language for this reason, the weird bullshit boilerplate you have to learn is pretty directly related to 'this is how computers work' not 'this is how all this poo poo eleven billion feet of abstractions above computers works'

either teach people things about how the computer actually literally works, or get the gently caress out the way and let them `alert("hello world");`

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

my first language was fortran :mrgw:

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
i learned basic for the c64 as my first language and it put me off programming for like a decade until it became my career for some reason

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

VOTE YES ON 69 posted:

my first language was fortran :mrgw:

1991-4 was also the last time i ever wrote fortran lol

and thank the gently caress christ

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice
ime csi.exe is less stable than fsi.exe (but that's pure anecdote and i haven't played with it in vs2017), and c#'s greater verbosity makes it less suitable for repl work than f#

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

Bloody posted:

matlab is probably the best choice for an intro to programming course at the high school or college level. its broadly applicable to domains other than just computer science, they're likely to encounter it later, its quick to do interesting results-oriented things with, the syntax is pretty lightweight

reading this made me think of someone doing shaggar style Matlab evangelism

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

trying to compile my atari BIOS.

code:
Luigi@Luigi-PC ~/atari/indy/src/bios
$ make
m68k-elf-as -mcpu=68010  -o ../../obj/bios/crt0.o crt0.S

Compiling BIOS 68010 program...

m68k-elf-gcc -nostartfiles -Tatarisy1-bios.ld -o ../../bin/indy_bios.bin ../../obj/bios/crt0.o ../../obj/bios/bios.o
c:/sysgcc/m68k-elf/bin/../lib/gcc/m68k-elf/4.8.0/../../../../m68k-elf/bin/ld.exe: cannot find ../obj/crt0.o
collect2.exe: error: ld returned 1 exit status
make: *** [Makefile:23: ../../obj/bios/as1-bios.bin] Error 1
why's it looking in ../obj/ for crt0.o? I'm specifying ../../obj/bios.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Bloody posted:

tbf its simplest in embedded. you put your first instruction at 0x0200 because the reset value of the program counter is 0x0200

why is it 0x0200? well, it had to be something, so it's that

no, it's because we'd put it at 0 but the vector table is in the way. why 0? well, every other register gets reset to zero when nRESET is asserted, seems like a decent enough default if nothing else presents itself.

VOTE YES ON 69 posted:

c is a good first language for this reason, the weird bullshit boilerplate you have to learn is pretty directly related to 'this is how computers work' not 'this is how all this poo poo eleven billion feet of abstractions above computers works'

either teach people things about how the computer actually literally works, or get the gently caress out the way and let them `alert("hello world");`

the weird bullshit boilerplate in a microcontroller is extremely tedious poo poo that even people who do embedded bullshit for a living loving hate

"good morning kids! today we're going to be starting up oscillators, programming clock dividers, opening clock gates, setting gpio mode bits, routing peripherals, and configuring interrupt controllers!"

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

i had to take an intro computer programming course for my degree and it was in matlab. i disliked matlab

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

CMU used to use "Karel Genie" and "Pascal Genie" as their introductory programming environments, which they created themselves (sponsored by NSF & Apple grants) as part of their MacGnome project

they were structured editing environments that reduced the need to deal with syntax by letting students create and fill in new AST nodes rather than have to type everything all the time

so you had a little control you could click that gave you a pop up with different statement or expression types to add, and then you could fill in the different parts while the computer kept track of semicolons and parentheses and indentation and stuff like that, see the links above for some screen shots

I used to switch the computer cluster Mac IIsi I was using to do homework to black & white so the execution would animate faster; RAM-based video with no CPU cache (plus 8-bit color) really slowed things down

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

hifi posted:

My point was that throwing people to the wild in programming is bad regardless of the langauge. Try explaining __exec__ in python in a high school class

why would you explain __exec__ in an introductory course? :psyduck:

I can only see this kind of topic arising in an introductory course that followed SICP or something

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
yeah, python is great in that you can just start typing things and it does them. early things will read like pseudocode and there's little to no boilerplate needed until you get into more fancy stuff that actually have a use for it. it's also easy to transfer skills to other popular languages like java and c#

if i had to teach introductory programming today i'd probably use python.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Bloody posted:

matlab is probably the best choice for an intro to programming course at the high school or college level. its broadly applicable to domains other than just computer science, they're likely to encounter it later, its quick to do interesting results-oriented things with, the syntax is pretty lightweight

im the terrible programmer that started with matlab

so, so, so many global variables and magic type casts....

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

I had to take two semesters of matlab classes and they didn't explain functions to the class until the last few weeks of the second semester.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
everybody wants to use their favorite language as the first programming language to teach to people but when it comes to the features of the language,

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

Wheany posted:

everybody wants to use their favorite language as the first programming language to teach to people but when it comes to the features of the language,

well I don't really think Erlang is a great first language so there

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man

Sapozhnik posted:

the weird bullshit boilerplate in a microcontroller is extremely tedious poo poo that even people who do embedded bullshit for a living loving hate

"good morning kids! today we're going to be starting up oscillators, programming clock dividers, opening clock gates, setting gpio mode bits, routing peripherals, and configuring interrupt controllers!"

now what if we could layer in an artisinal layer of graphical editors made by engineers for engineers that require a separate java runtime install and generate 700 of the worst c files you've ever seen so you "don't have to think about any of that"

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Phobeste posted:

now what if we could layer in an artisinal layer of graphical editors made by engineers for engineers that require a separate java runtime install and generate 700 of the worst c files you've ever seen so you "don't have to think about any of that"

how many figgies does it cost per seat?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Phobeste posted:

so IoT?

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man

Wheany posted:

how many figgies does it cost per seat?
unfortunately they're usually free so it's even harder to avoid them

Truga posted:

so IoT?

nah they're used a lot because a lot of times the embedded developers are actually electrical engineers

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

i just realized there's no xQuery / NoSQL thread in CoB. think i might make one so it can gather cobwebs

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

it's now a daily occurrence that the master branch will be hosed by an offshore resource using the force option. today i just discovered that not only has my work been reverted to an earlier state- but it's been knocked back a month and a half. NOT ONLY THAT- but several offshore resource all force merged on top of each other. creating a hosed up rats nest of piss that we now have a shock-team webex going trying to untangle everything.

this is such a colossal shitshow and a great argument for subversion, imo. you can talk about how 'oh well just don't gently caress it up' all you want but at the end of the day i'd prefer not having to deal with this bullshit

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
have you considered not giving colossal fuckups the permissions necessary to colossally gently caress things up

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

are you just using a bare git server or something? if so, lol. use gitlab or similar, idiot

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Jabor posted:

have you considered not giving colossal fuckups the permissions necessary to colossally gently caress things up

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Rex-Goliath posted:

it's now a daily occurrence that the master branch will be hosed by an offshore resource using the force option. today i just discovered that not only has my work been reverted to an earlier state- but it's been knocked back a month and a half. NOT ONLY THAT- but several offshore resource all force merged on top of each other. creating a hosed up rats nest of piss that we now have a shock-team webex going trying to untangle everything.

this is such a colossal shitshow and a great argument for subversion, imo. you can talk about how 'oh well just don't gently caress it up' all you want but at the end of the day i'd prefer not having to deal with this bullshit

welcome to git

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

Jabor posted:

Yep, the tools are out there to deny force pushes, so do it if you have resources you can't trust.

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

Rex-Goliath posted:

do you always refer to non-american developers as things

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

Jabor posted:

we've been arguing for a release manager for months but the client only sees more dollars going to something that's not producing profitable assets

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

FamDav posted:

do you always refer to non-american developers as things

they're essentially black box numbers to us so in this case, yes. i don't know their names or have the ability to talk to them directly

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!
you dont need a release manager to restrict access. require prs with a green build at the very least, dont allow anyone but trusted people to push directly to master (force or not).

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Bloody posted:

are you just using a bare git server or something? if so, lol. use gitlab or similar, idiot

Gating new features to the true master branch by requiring them to be added through pull requests mediated by per-user server-side repos is the best. You can gently caress up your own server-side repo with force push all day no problems and still gatekeep the main repo so it doesn't get shat on.

That said I haven't even had to explicitly block force pushes on our true master so I don't know if we can even do that to guarantee no fuckups

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

necrotic posted:

you dont need a release manager to restrict access. require prs with a green build at the very least, dont allow anyone but trusted people to push directly to master (force or not).

you must have missed my posts in cjs & here where i've been trying to get a green build for the past six months. they can't even do that.

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Rex-Goliath posted:

i don't think the problem is your scm 🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Shaggar posted:

welcome to git

low effort :sad:

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

god svn is so loving terrible. oh, you had a file open from this repository while you dared to try to update! the only logical conclusion is to fail with a red error warning and corrupt the database. gently caress you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
yeah this is one of those blaming the tool when you should be blaming your boss situations

• Locked thread