Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Barudak posted:

A senior admins quitting move at my first job was to accidentally leak everyones salaries. And at another I saw the admin "keep forgetting" to schedule or forward meetings or even buy business tickets for someone she fukken hated until that person quit.

I suck up to all admins

At my job, if the scientists quit showing up, eventually the new product pipeline would dry up and we'd have to get by on generics and biosimilars. If the admins all didn't show up one day, campus would be a howling wasteland of wind and ghosts by noon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Had an admin a few job back who’d sneak up to people’s unlocked computers and give herself assistant’s access to people’s outlook.

She got caught red handed one day at 5:30, the two IT guys who were still in the office worked almost an all nighter cleaning up that poo poo. Next morning the other two admins have everyone donuts because they were so loving happy the bridge troll had finally gotten canned.

She’d also rifle through people’s desks when they were on vacation, wonder if she’s the one who stole the mouse trap I’d left in my desk drawer.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

FrozenVent posted:

Had an admin a few job back who’d sneak up to people’s unlocked computers and give herself assistant’s access to people’s outlook.

She got caught red handed one day at 5:30, the two IT guys who were still in the office worked almost an all nighter cleaning up that poo poo. Next morning the other two admins have everyone donuts because they were so loving happy the bridge troll had finally gotten canned.

She’d also rifle through people’s desks when they were on vacation, wonder if she’s the one who stole the mouse trap I’d left in my desk drawer.

whats the problem with getting dirt on your coworkers here

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

remigious posted:

Thanks guys, sorry for being a butt. If she sucks it will create more work for me, but I should give her a chance first.

No, no, no. You’re supposed to double down, start insulting other posters, and then have an epic meltdown.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Barudak posted:

A senior admins quitting move at my first job was to accidentally leak everyones salaries. And at another I saw the admin "keep forgetting" to schedule or forward meetings or even buy business tickets for someone she fukken hated until that person quit.

I suck up to all admins

My dad used to do consulting for the state government and when they'd have morning meetings he would buy bagels for everyone at the meeting plus 3 for the receptionist/admins and he would drop them off before the meeting so they'd know they weren't just getting the leftovers. One day he went over after lunch for a meeting with the director and one of the admins jumped up when she saw him and told him to just turn around and say he got a flat tire or something but not to go to his meeting. Apparently dude had just flipped out that morning and said absolutely no way never to every single proposal he'd had that morning and it was mayhem. Definitely saved dad's rear end because he was coming to negotiate extending the contract and it was kind of a big deal for his company at the time.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

MrLogan posted:

When I switched teams in my company a couple years ago it was in December. The new team told me that xx December was ugly sweater day for the team and everyone would be wearing one in the office that day.

It ended up being a joke and I was the only person wearing an ugly sweater that day.
The kind of hazing I can get behind

Barudak posted:

A senior admins quitting move at my first job was to accidentally leak everyones salaries
lmao

cum jabbar posted:

It all felt too easy!
L M A O.

So does stepping on a carefully laid bear trap

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 10:58 on Oct 10, 2021

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

FrozenVent posted:

I presume you had left it armed and when they rifled through the desk set it off and ran off with it clasping their fingers in pain?

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

No idea, I was on vacation. I mean who’d leave a mouse trap in a desk drawer anyway?

Oakey
Dec 29, 2000

I'm a stupid fucking cunt

MrLogan posted:

When I switched teams in my company a couple years ago it was in December. The new team told me that xx December was ugly sweater day for the team and everyone would be wearing one in the office that day.

It ended up being a joke and I was the only person wearing an ugly sweater that day.

Ha, I had one like this long ago when I was an intern at a consulting company. One of the sales guys called me the night before to tell me there was an important client coming in so everyone was wearing suits. I was the only one wearing a suit in a super casual office all day.

The next week I changed his Outlook autocorrect to correct his name to IDIOT in big red letters, he had to paste his name into his emails. When I went back to school I told the office manager how to fix it, she let him do that for another 3 months.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Autocorrect dictionary tampering is always great.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

FrozenVent posted:

No idea, I was on vacation. I mean who’d leave a mouse trap in a desk drawer anyway?

Great thread titles here popping up all the time for after October

Jumpsuit
Jan 1, 2007

I'll be finding out this week both if I'm keeping my current job (company restructure meaning a good payout if I get let go) and getting a new one (had a great interview last week elsewhere). Possible outcomes are:

1. Lose current job, don't get new job. Thanks to the severance payment I'd put off job hunting until January and enjoy some time off.
2. Lose current job, get new job. Best outcome in terms of cash (severance plus higher pay) and career progression.
3. Keep current job, get new job. Good for career progression.
4. Keep current job, don't get new job. The most depressing because no payout and no progression. But I'd still have a job.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Jumpsuit posted:

I'll be finding out this week both if I'm keeping my current job (company restructure meaning a good payout if I get let go) and getting a new one (had a great interview last week elsewhere). Possible outcomes are:

1. Lose current job, don't get new job. Thanks to the severance payment I'd put off job hunting until January and enjoy some time off.
2. Lose current job, get new job. Best outcome in terms of cash (severance plus higher pay) and career progression.
4. Keep current job, don't get new job. The most depressing because no payout and no progression. But I'd still have a job.

No. 4 sounds most likely to end in quitting.

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010

FrozenVent posted:

The best one I've seen is a dude who was non-IT but volunteered to help out with an software rollout by way of offering to train everyone, that offer somewhat spiralled, ending up with this dude essentially social engineering the IT manager into giving him various extra access that he didn't really need, but the IT Manager was a bit lazy and figured what could possibly go wrong? This guy is just genuine and helpful of course!

The dude got caught by asking me a stupid question and in my naive efforts to support the direction my boss had decided to take, I found some really bad hacking stuff installed on his computer.

It turned out he was trying to use this socially engineered access to a small network we have, to get himself admin access on the main corporate network by way of trying the passwords he found to then read everyone's emails.

Weirdly, this happened when the IT Manager was on PTO, so I reported it to IT Director who wasn't able to come and deal with it for a week. So during that wait, it turned out dude was making loads of creepy comments like "ah yeah but some of us get to see these emails ;) ;) ;)" and sort of trying to allude he was special, when really all he did was let on what he was up to now we knew he was corrupt.

Personally, I think the lesson for me there was we should have suspended him pending investigation immediately but at the time I was just a kid and you live and learn.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Oh good, the compliance goons have sent another 21 new training programs this morning for further corporate rear end-covering

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
Heh.

The Director of Total Rewards at my company (who is an abrasive raging psychopath) was one of the people instrumental in getting me demoted because she had my bosses ear, and she didn’t like how I wouldn’t do her teams work for them.

3 of her 5 employees worked together, got new jobs, and quit in the same two week period.

Now, I’m the only person in the company with experience in the global mobility process. Guess who just got an email asking to switch roles?

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

knox_harrington posted:

Oh good, the compliance goons have sent another 21 new training programs this morning for further corporate rear end-covering

Wow, I thought I had it bad. I got 6 for Q4, which will bring my total this year to 49. That number is a bit higher than usual since this was my first year. I had to do a bunch of 2020 courses as a new hire, and then the updated 2021 versions as they came out during the year.

The frustrating part, and I don't know if there's a rule that everyone has to do these or not, is I'm in IT for the larger parent company org, and have nothing to do with the Bank at all. They have their own IT and separate systems, but we still have to take all the bank compliance training.

skipdogg fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Oct 11, 2021

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Pillowpants posted:

The Director of Total Rewards … global mobility process.

Oh dear gently caress

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
So due to visa backlogs etc and inability for me to work cross border my start date for new job has been pushed back til January, which doubly sucks because my end date at current job is this Friday and I'll be without salary and health plan til then (not a huge deal as I've got plenty of savings to carry me through and my spouse's health plan will cover me no problem). This means I'm more actively looking to just find something local instead and bail from this situation which is a huge headache. I've also asked my current boss if I can push the end date back a bit because why not I figured.

Interviewing with one company it went really well and I am pretty confident of getting an offer. However I just heard they are also talking to a guy in another group at my current company who is the laziest hacky general piece of poo poo who is coasting on a reputation from 10 years ago where he actually DID stuff. I've had to work with him several times and it's insanely frustrating because he's super lazy, completely clueless, and able to get a lot of credit for poo poo he didn't do at all. He'll just consume a heck of a lot of your time and try to get you to do everything for him rather than just asking for some help or information to get him on the right path. I've reached out to my contact just to see if he can confirm if he's actually in the running. I don't think I could accept any offer from a company where I'd have to work anywhere near this guy, and I'm not alone in that. A friend of mine who is also interviewing at the same company (they have more than one opening so we're not in fully direct competition) is in the same boat and hates this other guy's guts too. We're not going to directly slam him to the managers we're talking to but it'd really give us pause if this is who they're going to hire..

Anyhoo it says something that my current company was so boring that I still kind of enjoy the crazy drama going on, lol.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:

skipdogg posted:

Wow, I thought I had it bad. I got 6 for Q4, which will bring my total this year to 49. That number is a bit higher than usual since this was my first year. I had to do a bunch of 2020 courses as a new hire, and then the updated 2021 versions as they came out during the year.

So when do you actually do any...work?

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

D34THROW posted:

So when do you actually do any...work?

Honestly I think that's the secret... I don't really. I honestly only get 10 to 15 hours a week to actually do "work". The rest is in meetings, planning for future meetings, or compliance related things. Those 10 to 15 hours, those are usually before 10 am, or after 4pm. I block out 12-1 for lunch, and generally have meetings from 10 to 12 and 2 to 4. So I get 90 minutes in the morning, maybe an hour after lunch, and an hour before logging off for the day.

Things get done slowly, and everyone is 100% OK with it. Just how it goes. I'm an IT guy, and I spend 3 times as much time on the paperwork and change control process than I do actually making the IT related change. Younger me would be pissed off all the time about it. Older me JDGAF as long as the direct deposit hits every other Thursday.

I can accomplish a couple weeks worth of work if I ever manage to get 3 hours of contiguous time to just hunker down and knock something out.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006

skipdogg posted:

Honestly I think that's the secret... I don't really. I honestly only get 10 to 15 hours a week to actually do "work". The rest is in meetings, planning for future meetings, or compliance related things. Those 10 to 15 hours, those are usually before 10 am, or after 4pm. I block out 12-1 for lunch, and generally have meetings from 10 to 12 and 2 to 4. So I get 90 minutes in the morning, maybe an hour after lunch, and an hour before logging off for the day.

Things get done slowly, and everyone is 100% OK with it. Just how it goes. I'm an IT guy, and I spend 3 times as much time on the paperwork and change control process than I do actually making the IT related change. Younger me would be pissed off all the time about it. Older me JDGAF as long as the direct deposit hits every other Thursday.

I can accomplish a couple weeks worth of work if I ever manage to get 3 hours of contiguous time to just hunker down and knock something out.

Yeah before I got demoted I was basically spending 9-3 M-F in meetings so I’d have to put in 58-60 hrs to get my actual job done.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:

skipdogg posted:

Office Space v2.0

I don't either. I actually did maybe half an hour of work today, since about 9:00 a.m., and that was just routine stuff. Things have been hella slow and the CFO/COO has yet to dump any additional "financial consolidation" tasks on me - which is probably going to be being his personal Excel toucher for the annual budget and company-wide P&L and balance sheet. 90% of my days right now consist of either resting my thrown back on the couch with the kids or, when I can't take that anymore, working on my video(ish) game side project.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Hahaha I loving love my job sometimes.

Me to Ops People: "Hey, do we have any information on X?"

Five minute later, Account Management to me: "Hey, do we have any information on X?"

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009
Today I got an email from a student in tomorrows class. The email said "I can't log into website X" which has some pre-class e-learnings. But then they start sending screen shots from all three websites we use. And the one they say they can't log into is logged into. The classroom website is giving them an error. Half a dozen e-mails later, it turns out she didn't see the pre-class e-learnings because the classes were the bottom 50% of her screen. She didn't need to scroll, they were right there. But apparently all of the important info for any webpage is the top half of the first screen. So she doesn't look at the bottom half.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

priznat posted:

So due to visa backlogs etc and inability for me to work cross border my start date for new job has been pushed back til January, which doubly sucks because my end date at current job is this Friday and I'll be without salary and health plan til then (not a huge deal as I've got plenty of savings to carry me through and my spouse's health plan will cover me no problem). This means I'm more actively looking to just find something local instead and bail from this situation which is a huge headache. I've also asked my current boss if I can push the end date back a bit because why not I figured.

Interviewing with one company it went really well and I am pretty confident of getting an offer. However I just heard they are also talking to a guy in another group at my current company who is the laziest hacky general piece of poo poo who is coasting on a reputation from 10 years ago where he actually DID stuff. I've had to work with him several times and it's insanely frustrating because he's super lazy, completely clueless, and able to get a lot of credit for poo poo he didn't do at all. He'll just consume a heck of a lot of your time and try to get you to do everything for him rather than just asking for some help or information to get him on the right path. I've reached out to my contact just to see if he can confirm if he's actually in the running. I don't think I could accept any offer from a company where I'd have to work anywhere near this guy, and I'm not alone in that. A friend of mine who is also interviewing at the same company (they have more than one opening so we're not in fully direct competition) is in the same boat and hates this other guy's guts too. We're not going to directly slam him to the managers we're talking to but it'd really give us pause if this is who they're going to hire..

Anyhoo it says something that my current company was so boring that I still kind of enjoy the crazy drama going on, lol.
Don't doxx me.

Thomamelas posted:

Today I got an email from a student in tomorrows class. The email said "I can't log into website X" which has some pre-class e-learnings. But then they start sending screen shots from all three websites we use. And the one they say they can't log into is logged into. The classroom website is giving them an error. Half a dozen e-mails later, it turns out she didn't see the pre-class e-learnings because the classes were the bottom 50% of her screen. She didn't need to scroll, they were right there. But apparently all of the important info for any webpage is the top half of the first screen. So she doesn't look at the bottom half.

GrandpaSimpsonCloud.png

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Thomamelas posted:

I have this problem every loving day at work. I will send out about 20-30 emails a day that are basically "read the website, everything you asked is there." Half of them will claim it isn't, in which case I crack open Snipping Tool, grab a big ol' chunk of screen, and add a big red arrow. Then I paste in my canned "both our website and google have very robust search options" response.

How are you capable of using the internet to send an email but completely incapable of typing/yelling that question into google/siri? :psyduck:

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!

Yawgmoth posted:

How are you capable of using the internet to send an email but completely incapable of typing/yelling that question into google/siri? :psyduck:
1. Have you done my work for me yet?
2. See it took more than four seconds.

(3. Bonus: And here you told us we needed to memorize this stuff to function in our lives. See! See?! It's at our fingertips!)

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006

Yawgmoth posted:

I have this problem every loving day at work. I will send out about 20-30 emails a day that are basically "read the website, everything you asked is there." Half of them will claim it isn't, in which case I crack open Snipping Tool, grab a big ol' chunk of screen, and add a big red arrow. Then I paste in my canned "both our website and google have very robust search options" response.

The Manager of Administration at my company ((the one running our executives lives) has locked herself out of her timecards 26 times in the past two years and she complained to the CEO that I wasn’t doing enough to fix a clearly broken payroll system.

Jumpsuit
Jan 1, 2007

Jumpsuit posted:

Options 1 and 2 are now left in the running. Haven't heard back about new job but confirmed I'm not on the structure in my current job. Which yay, redundancy payout, but there's also a whole lack of clarity about when this will happen.

Apparently there's a loophole where even if your role no longer exists and hasn't been translated into a new role, if you want a redundancy and don't apply for redeployment then you can just be put into a random role that HR thinks you can perform, ergo no payout. That's one way to build a motivated and engaged workforce

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
That's what they'll do with the people they're confident will quickly quit, saving a bunch of money over a severance payout.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Today’s realization: if a lot of my work wasn’t contractually required to happen on a time line (eg “X days before EVENT, send Y email”), I could get away with working like… half a day a week at most without affecting the bottom line.

Alright let’s log on to the first of six meetings.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Lol hearing from people in my company who have been talking to recruiters from another company that has been hiring people from my company lately that the ceo of my co complained to the other ceo and even threatened legal action if any more employees get hired away.

Nothing like threats and intimidation instead of actually, ya know, improving the company to work at by raising comp etc. What a loving garbage company I am so glad Friday is my last day.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

That’s got to be illegal in Canada right?

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

skipdogg posted:

It's only illegal if someone prosecutes, and manages to ever convict anyone for it.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

skipdogg posted:

That's even illegal in America. :911:

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

priznat posted:

Lol hearing from people in my company who have been talking to recruiters from another company that has been hiring people from my company lately that the ceo of my co complained to the other ceo and even threatened legal action if any more employees get hired away.

Nothing like threats and intimidation instead of actually, ya know, improving the company to work at by raising comp etc. What a loving garbage company I am so glad Friday is my last day.

Thanatosian posted:

That's even illegal in America. :911:

Yea this very rarely goes well for the company trying to do it.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Did Apple ever really get punished for their deal with Google and Adobe to not poach staff? $400 million fine split between them and that was it, right?

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

greazeball posted:

Did Apple ever really get punished for their deal with Google and Adobe to not poach staff? $400 million fine split between them and that was it, right?

Intel, Lucasfilm, Intuit, and eBay were in on it, too. Weirdly, when they approached Facebook, Facebook said "gently caress off," and when they threatened to poach Facebook's employees, their response was basically "is there some part of 'gently caress off' that you don't understand?"

The biggest four settled for $415 million, the others another twenty. Total, not each.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

The wild thing is these are pretty large companies, very well known. I think it was just intended to have a chilling effect on the hiring company and unfortunately it seems to have worked. Beyond the legal threats there are supply chain and pricing fuckery they could pull (whiner co supplies hiring co) and ugh it’s just all such bullshit.

People feel like oh poo poo there are less options to go to to get away from this company. It’s really super cool!

And yeah probably not legal, I don’t know where the legal threats are being made but it would apply in locations in both the US and Canada and possibly other countries too, both companies are large.