Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Excels posted:

This whole port was a direct result of Western fans crying for an English release, right? What was it people liked in the original strongly enough to try and get Square's attention?

In the interviews, Tabata sure seemed excited. I even read his AMA and it sounded like he was really hopeful about this remake. It certainly didn't sound like anyone was slacking off. Yet I hear it's not much improved from the PSP.

I'm just not sure what the goal of investing all that time and effort was when the reception has been... lukewarm at best, to a game people were clamoring for when it wasn't even translated.

People wanted it to come to the west mainly because they wanted something to play on a Vita. Now the vita is dead and nobody cares, and it never came to the vita anyway

On the plus side, I am playing FFX-2 on my Vita. The fights in this game are way less balanced than I remembered

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Baal posted:

I like... Final Fantasy

down with this sort of thing

careful now

Sakurazuka fucked around with this message at 09:24 on Aug 26, 2015

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

That loving Sned posted:

Same here, mostly because the PC versions are really poorly optimised because they run on a single thread, and even ridiculously powerful PCs can't hold a stable 60fps. Plus, the videos in FFXIII are lower quality than in the PS3 version.

Valkyria Chronicles was originally a PS3 exclusive, and that still had an extremely optimised port. I guess SE only intended to use the PC ports for their streaming service, until they realised they could also sell them on Steam.

I played XIII at full 60 the whole time through

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Where the gently caress is Final Fantasy XIII: Lightning Returns (PC) Square?

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

In Training posted:

Where the gently caress is Final Fantasy XIII: Lightning Returns (PC) Square?

console superiority

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

corn in the bible posted:

console superiority

The superiority of running at a constant 15-20 FPS is definitely something I'm looking forward to going back to, yes.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Artix posted:

The superiority of running at a constant 15-20 FPS is definitely something I'm looking forward to going back to, yes.

20 fps is better than nothing at all

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

It's better to think of FPS as lightning's per second in this case and I think it's a good argument for a 60 LPS pc version

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Artix posted:

It would probably run at about that on my current PC anyway. :(

Sordas Volantyr
Jan 11, 2015

Now, everybody, walk like a Jekhar.

(God, these running animations are terrible.)
My computer would be lucky to break 5. FFXIII was extremely optimized and my computer can barely run it, I shudder to think what would happen with games that didn't have nearly as much polish.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
Save some money and get new computers, games are even cooler when they're smooth and shiny.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5HvJHVANG2k

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Kanfy posted:

Save some money and get new computers, games are even cooler when they're smooth and shiny.

Just buy a Wii u instead.

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

I just cracked out a PS1 emulater and am prancing about on FFIX. I hated FFX because it had no world map so felt way too linear but loved VII, VIII and IX, would I hate all of the more recent titles too? I never played any of the 2D ones. Are any of those legitimately good or are they pure nostalgia?

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

In Training posted:

Just buy a Wii u instead.

Nah, there's no Lightning on the weeuu, thus making it a complete waste of money.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

jiggerypokery posted:

I just cracked out a PS1 emulater and am prancing about on FFIX. I hated FFX because it had no world map so felt way too linear but loved VII, VIII and IX, would I hate all of the more recent titles too? I never played any of the 2D ones. Are any of those legitimately good or are they pure nostalgia?

IV V and VI are all good.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

jiggerypokery posted:

Its hard to predict what someone crazy enough to hate a game over a lack of a world map might like but I'll take a shot anyway. 12 has no world map but has enough side stuff/a mmo map structure you can run around on your own impulse to make 7-9 look linear in comparison. I also hate it for all those reasons because its an example of open world creep for no compelling reason. 13 makes 10 look like Skyrim, but without it Lightning could never return.

4-6 are legitimately good and basically like 7-9 but 2d.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

jiggerypokery posted:

I-III haven't aged too well and IV is debatable depending on your old game tolerance, but V and VI hold up quite well still. However you'll want the GBA's Advance versions instead of the bad PS1 ones and you'll want to get the restoration patches for them that restore the original sound and look which were of lower quality in the original GBA releases. The Advance versions are way faster, better translated and have a bunch of extras including some bonus bosses and whatnot.

And if you hate linearity and have a PC that can run a PS2 emulator then XII might be worth giving a shot, specifically the fan-translated International Zodiac Job System -version which greatly improves that game but which has not been released outside of Japan at least yet. It's a game people either love or hate but it's definitely quite open.

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

Now you don't have to suck meat from an exoskeleton!
The original SNES version of FF6 is perfectly acceptable still. The sound-restored GBA version is probably the closest there might be to a definitive version, but there's enough worth checking in the SNES release if you have access to that. Agreed that the GBA version of FF5 is the only version worth playing.

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

Thanks all. Honestly, I was expecting you all to say every other game was utter shite. There goes an afternoon or two!

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I like every FF. except 3.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

jiggerypokery posted:

Thanks all. Honestly, I was expecting you all to say every other game was utter shite. There goes an afternoon or two!

Contrary to popular belief, Final Fantasy is good.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
I've seen the words FF so many times now I don't even remember what they stand for. I'm going to say Final Fight. A turn based RPG where you play Mayor of Earth Mike Haggar and his two sidekicks, a ninja and a convict.

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

Baal posted:

Contrary to popular belief, Final Fantasy is good.

I've been in denial since my mid-teens.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

jiggerypokery posted:

4 and 6 are definitely worth playing of the 2D games, maybe 5 also. I like 1 but that's definitely nostalgia since it was the first videogame I ever owned.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

I dont know about any of the others but if you liked the ps1 era you'll like ff6

CeallaSo
May 3, 2013

Wisdom from a Fool

corn in the bible posted:

I dont know about any of the others but if you liked the ps1 era you'll like ff6

I dunno man, I liked VII and IX but VI ranks pretty low for me. I wouldn't put it in the same category as disappointments like VIII or III, but I've always found it to be middling.

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

CeallaSo posted:

disappointments like VIII

I actually really enjoyed VIII. Do I have problem? I really didn't understand the dislike for it.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

jiggerypokery posted:

I actually really enjoyed VIII. Do I have problem? I really didn't understand the dislike for it.

I also like 8, but you really can't understand why it gets so much hate? Cmon man

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

Nope, sorry! Don't get it!

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
...Whatever

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The plot has tons of random threads that come out of nowhere and are dropped just as quickly as they came, the main party is a weird mishmash because only rinoa and squall get much focus past the first disc, the gameplay is simultaneously incredibly tedious if you don't understand how it works and mindbogglingly easy if you put any thought into it.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I'm not saying you're wrong for liking it but it's pretty easy to get why people would dislike it.

CeallaSo
May 3, 2013

Wisdom from a Fool

jiggerypokery posted:

Nope, sorry! Don't get it!

It's the broken gameplay and disjointed plot. There's a lot that the game did right; it looks great for its time, and it sounds great, and it invented Triple Triad. But a game should be fun to play and an RPG should tell an engaging story, and it failed on both counts.

Don't get me wrong; I still like VIII. I haven't played a Final Fantasy yet that I haven't liked at least a little bit, and I've played the vast majority of them. I'm just not willing to pretend it's better than it actually is.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

8 probably has the least likeable cast of any FF game where they actually try and give them personalities.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

VIII is the one game in the series I've just never been able to sit through. I've tried quite a number of times and have even gotten pretty far in some attempts but without fail I'll just lose steam and not be able to stand playing it anymore after awhile. I don't know what it is about the game but... blugh.

Then again my first FF game as a kid was IX so... yeah I was hella spoiled in that regard. Going from the best in the series to VIII is a giant gap.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Sakurazuka posted:

8 probably has the least likeable cast of any FF game where they actually try and give them personalities.

Vanille

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

13 was pushing it but it also had Sazh

CeallaSo
May 3, 2013

Wisdom from a Fool

Vanille is neither the entire cast nor particularly egregious. Her affectations in the English dub are insufferable, sure, but her character is no worse than someone like Yuffie or Selphie.

So I also support the claim that VIII has the worst cast. IX has the best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Vanille at least has character depth. Most of the cast of VIII barely have much going on. Selphie for instance is just kind of there to be a bubbly personality. That's pretty much it she has no real character dept or plot significance.