Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
A $120k RS6 "Wagon" is fine for those 100 people, but what about a $60k A6 "Wagon" for non-millionaires?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

what is persuading me to buy that over the E63?
You really like having the engine in front of the shock towers?

Secret Machine
Jun 20, 2005

What the Hell?

Mr. Apollo posted:

You really like having the engine in front of the shock towers?

Wait... is Audi still mounting all their new stuff that far forward? That’s disappointing cause the new wagon looks cool and I could possibly justify purchasing the prol trim to my partner as a “family” car.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

I thought what we all wanted was RWD wagon that got to 60 in under 5 seconds and cost under 40 grand? That's why I stopped waiting when the Stinger GT came out. Although at least this is a proper wagon.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

skipdogg posted:

People have been screaming for this car online for years. I bet they struggle to sell 100 of them

*people being broke rear end internet car enthusiasts who only want them 5 years old for 40% of msrp

Judging by the market for used E63 wagons, they'll be a lot more than 40% MSRP.

That being said, it's now on my list as a possible replacement for when the Stinger lease is up.

On the other hand, it will have to blow be out of the water to both be higher on my list than the E63s as a practical daily and push me to spend 6 figures when I could be saving up for a Lamborghini instead.

Edit: looked at the pictures. Rear bumper is fugly and the interior doesn't look great. Hard pass.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

100 sounds like decent numbers. For contrast, MB sells ~40000 total E-classes per year. Figure maaaybe 10% take rate on the wagon, and then maybe 10% of those are AMGs? 400 cars.

I'm pretty sure someone at the group or the brand wants one as the company car.

No joke, the expected buyer for an E63 according to MB is a family that makes 300k+/year, has 3-4 other cars, and their parents had one when they were kids and they have fond memories of them and want to give those memories to their kids. So that's like 2 people.

There's also overpaid car nerds, but there's somehow fewer of us and we're all too busy dealing with our other poor purchasing decisions :v:

KillHour fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Aug 21, 2019

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
I keep on trying to figure out why you wouldn't be better off buying a 50-60k e class wagon/Avant and a sports car. Maybe I'll get it in a few more years?

Residency Evil fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Aug 21, 2019

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Residency Evil posted:

I keep on trying to figure out why you wouldn't be better off buying a 50-60k e class wagon/Avant and a sports car. Maybe I'll get it in a few more years?

No, you're right. Turns out when you can only afford 1 car, a fast practical car that does it all sounds like a great plan. Once you're actually looking at 6 figure cars, that goes out the window.

The people that buy these new have a Ferrari for the weekend.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Secret Machine posted:

Wait... is Audi still mounting all their new stuff that far forward? That’s disappointing cause the new wagon looks cool and I could possibly justify purchasing the prol trim to my partner as a “family” car.
Yeah. It’s a byproduct of the platform. The Audis with a longitudinal engine sandwich the front differential between the engine and transmission. So you get symmetrical AWD but the down side is that you have a really nose heavy car.

These are from the previous gen RS5 but you get the idea of why the engines are so far forward.

Mr. Apollo fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Aug 21, 2019

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

davebo posted:

I thought what we all wanted was RWD wagon that got to 60 in under 5 seconds and cost under 40 grand? That's why I stopped waiting when the Stinger GT came out. Although at least this is a proper wagon.

I want a 500hp 19 foot long 2 door personal luxury car under $25.67

Like, the Maybach Vision 6, except costs less than a family meal at a sit-down restaurant.

Powershift fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Aug 21, 2019

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Residency Evil posted:

So Audi made this video in response to my question.

https://youtu.be/g8gw8B939Eo

Gotta show my wife it's for when she's pregnant and has to get to the hospital.

I'm trying to justify this in my mind so hard.

Residency Evil fucked around with this message at 12:07 on Aug 21, 2019

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
ok drat i want one

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Residency Evil posted:

absolutely my question as well, i'm already rolling two cars

KillHour posted:

No joke, the expected buyer for an E63 according to MB is a family that makes 300k+/year, has 3-4 other cars, and their parents had one when they were kids and they have fond memories of them and want to give those memories to their kids. So that's like 2 people.

There's also overpaid car nerds, but there's somehow fewer of us and we're all too busy dealing with our other poor purchasing decisions :v:

this is actually the E-wagon buyer profile overall, if i recall correctly. not the E63. MB loses money on the E-wagon but thinks it is important to retain this customer group.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Residency Evil posted:

So Audi made this video in response to my question.

https://youtu.be/g8gw8B939Eo

Gotta show my wife it's for when she's pregnant and has to get to the hospital.

I'm trying to justify this in my mind so hard.

The RS4/6 have been the coolest Audis for years. They look so much better than anything else they make it's actually funny...

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
yeaaaaaaaaaah I cant afford that. Ill stick with my S5 in the interim

lilbeefer
Oct 4, 2004

I was THAT close to buying a manual B7 RS4 Avant a few years ago and I am simultaneously sad / relieved that I didn't do it.

That was about 6 years ago. When I do see a nice one rumble past I comfort myself by estimating how much the owner has spent on discs alone.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

It's too bad the look of the bumpers has gone to poo poo in the last like, two years. Aside from that I've thought they were the best-looking Audi for a long time, and pretty far up there in the "maybe I'll be able to actually own a heavily used one someday" category.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

I’m going to guess that this RS6 is best leased for 3 years before you move on right?

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Fifty Three posted:

It's too bad the look of the bumpers has gone to poo poo in the last like, two years.

Hey at least they're not doing the in vogue 'centre piece at the bottom painted black/silver/missing entirely' bit that most other manufacturers are doing.

lilbeefer
Oct 4, 2004

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Hey at least they're not doing the in vogue 'centre piece at the bottom painted black/silver/missing entirely' bit that most other manufacturers are doing.

Example?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Kraftwerk posted:

I’m going to guess that this RS6 is best leased for 3 years before you move on right?

Likely.

That's all I could think about with that Avant film. The whole thing is aspirational, waiting a lifetime to fulfill a dream. Now, finally, you have it. Meanwhile, the reality of the situation is most are going to be leased for 3 years as a disposable "keeping up with the Joneses" vehicle with no real emotional attachment beyond that.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Kraftwerk posted:

I like the external design and reliability of the Camry XSE vs the Accord 2.0. But I do agree the latter is a better car performance wise. And the interior is nicer. The Avalon is way too big and still feels like an “old man car”

Have you even seen the new Avalon? Sat in one? It's waaay better than the Camry and worth however much more it is for the interior alone. Exterior looks better as well.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011

bull3964 posted:

Likely.

That's all I could think about with that Avant film. The whole thing is aspirational, waiting a lifetime to fulfill a dream. Now, finally, you have it. Meanwhile, the reality of the situation is most are going to be leased for 3 years as a disposable "keeping up with the Joneses" vehicle with no real emotional attachment beyond that.

That’s what makes me sad about all this.
I grew up dreaming about *ownership* of aspirational models like this. The car you keep for a long time.
The reality is all these aspirational models are basically whores for hire and if you marry one you get all the problems that come with a decision like that.

lilbeefer
Oct 4, 2004

Kraftwerk posted:

That’s what makes me sad about all this.
I grew up dreaming about *ownership* of aspirational models like this. The car you keep for a long time.
The reality is all these aspirational models are basically whores for hire and if you marry one you get all the problems that come with a decision like that.

Have a look around you, it's not just cars :capitalism:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

The reality of the situation is the people that can afford a new Audi don't want to deal with it when things start wearing out and breaking, the odds of a new Audi being kept in a family and passed on to kids is 0.001%

lilbeefer
Oct 4, 2004

The type of person that can afford a new RS6 is likely the same person who will want the new one when it comes out.

Car forum people who lust after these cars don't buy them new, as has already been mentioned.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Man I'm lying, it's rife on Audis... Basically the lower leading edge on a lot of designs (these are all 2019 iirc) has all but disappeared in body colour. There's a few soft-roaders in this and on those I know why they're black plastic but on other cars that will only see road miles I'm not sure why. The bottom middle of a car's bumper for some reason now always goes up, it's something I noticed a while back and I apologise if this is now all you see...

I made a little album rather than posting them all inline: https://imgur.com/a/a1ugQEA

EnergizerFellow
Oct 11, 2005

More drunk than a barrel of monkeys

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

absolutely my question as well, i'm already rolling two cars

this is actually the E-wagon buyer profile overall, if i recall correctly. not the E63. MB loses money on the E-wagon but thinks it is important to retain this customer group.

The E-class wagon has the wealthiest buyers of anything Mercedes makes, including even the S-class and G-wagon. They're wealthier than the typical new 911 buyer as well.

If you want to laugh/cry, try to buy a new E-class wagon for anything less than full MSRP. I actually tried to buy a new one at the last generation change and the best I could do in the entire western US was a dealer out of Las Vegas that gave all of $1K off with free window tint and delivery.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Have you even seen the new Avalon? Sat in one? It's waaay better than the Camry and worth however much more it is for the interior alone. Exterior looks better as well.

I like it. The trim options in Canada are really weird though.
To get cooled seats I need to buy the limited version which comes with a bunch of extra poo poo I don’t want.

Like I’d prefer the XSE model which has a sport tuned suspension. The Limited removes that to give you a heads up display (nice to have), extra electronics I don’t use, upgraded headlights, ugly razor blade front grill for like 5-6K extra. Kind of annoying.

Wonderllama
Mar 15, 2003

anyone wanna andreyfuck?
I just saw my first Avalon yesterday driving home. The dynamic LED tail lights are really cool.

Not cool enough for me to drive a loving Toyota Avalon, but I did like them.

Also I notice, they too, are only available in the touring+ builds.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1164169890917433346

E: Audi, why not done!?

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Aug 21, 2019

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
finally saw a gladiator IRL and it's incredibly bad looking lmao

Huge_Midget
Jun 6, 2002

I don't like the look of it...

mobby_6kl posted:

loving garbage.

E: Audi, why not done!?

Jesus gently caress my blood pressure goes up 20 points and my right eye starts involuntarily twitching whenever I read his moronic bullshit. He’s so loving dumb.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Huge_Midget posted:

Jesus gently caress my blood pressure goes up 20 points and my right eye starts involuntarily twitching whenever I read his moronic bullshit. He’s so loving dumb.

He's channeling the country's id - stupid and cocksure.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

Applebees Appetizer posted:

The reality of the situation is the people that can afford a new Audi don't want to deal with it when things start wearing out and breaking, the odds of a new Audi being kept in a family and passed on to kids is 0.001%

My dad bought a Q5 last year and it couldn't even wait 6 months for poo poo to start breaking.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Cars haven't been long term investments since when you could fix anything on a car with a set of standard tools and maybe an oddly shaped socket or two. Cars are basically rolling phones now.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

all the other audis show in that commercial are cooler than the RS6

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

KillHour posted:

Cars haven't been long term investments since when you could fix anything on a car with a set of standard tools and maybe an oddly shaped socket or two. Cars are basically rolling phones now.

cars weren't investments then, either

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

cars weren't investments then, either

Bad choice of words, but people used to think of them as something more than an appliance. Although people used to fix appliances, too...

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

KillHour posted:

Bad choice of words, but people used to think of them as something more than an appliance. Although people used to fix appliances, too...

appliances still get fixed, just ask me about my new samsung fridge which needed repairs after less than 6 months

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
People are keeping their cars for 80 months on average. How many cars made before like 1995 could make it 80 months without rusting away, let alone being even remotely reliable enough to go that long?