Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

MikeCrotch posted:

Unfortunately smog is making a comeback in London...thanks to too many people installing wood burning stoves as an "environmentally friendly option". Particulate pollution from them has gotten so bad that the current Mayor is calling for a ban.

I have heard dumb poo poo before but good god drat who thinks a wood burning stove is environmentally friendly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

what the gently caress this is the airpower thread

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Smiling Jack posted:

I have heard dumb poo poo before but good god drat who thinks a wood burning stove is environmentally friendly

It's carbon nuetral... if you grow as much or more wood than you burnt.

But it's also a massive source of particulate pollution and generally unhealthy to living, beathing things. Those things along with similar coal burning stoves are a major contributor to Chinese cities pulling off the bladerunner look in the winter.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Smiling Jack posted:

A surprising number of suburban environmentalists think wood burning is the solution to global warming because it’s renewable and carbon neutral. Of course that ignores both air particulates and the fact that to meet our current energy needs we would deforest the world a few times over.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Cyrano4747 posted:

A surprising number of suburban environmentalists think wood burning is the solution to global warming because it’s renewable and carbon neutral. Of course that ignores both air particulates and the fact that to meet our current energy needs we would deforest the world a few times over.

I lust for the heat of the atom.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

I guess this question is mostly for TheFluff, since he spergs on Swedish cold war history.
Recently I took a cab from London to Gatwick and ended up having an old guy as driver who used to be a diver in the Royal Marines and searched for hidden explosives upon entering harbors.
The interesting part, from a Swedish perspective, was that he was familiar with Luleå.
Apparently UK delivered ammunition to Luleå and the deliveries was always done at night due to Russian submarines (who btw should be able to track regardless of light?).
So my question is why UK would deliver ammunition to Luleå?
I know we had a bunch of our better regiments up north in terms of equipment, but I thought most of the ammunition was from Bofors?
I guess the other option is that the guy was full of poo poo, which is also a possibility.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

LingcodKilla posted:

I lust for the heat of the atom.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2008/nov/09/miniature-nuclear-reactors-los-alamos

quote:

The reactors, only a few metres in diameter, will be delivered on the back of a lorry to be buried underground. They must be refuelled every 7 to 10 years. Because the reactor is based on a 50-year-old design that has proved safe for students to use, few countries are expected to object to plants on their territory. An application to build the plants will be submitted to the Nuclear Regulatory Commission next year.

Or...

https://www.extremetech.com/extreme/149090-nasas-cold-fusion-tech-could-put-a-nuclear-reactor-in-every-home-car-and-plane

quote:

According to NASA, 1% of the world’s nickel production could meet the world’s energy needs, at a quarter of the cost of coal. NASA also mentions, almost as an aside, that the lattice could be formed of carbon instead of nickel, with the nuclear reaction turning carbon into nitrogen. “You’re not sequestering carbon, you’re totally removing carbon from the system,” says Joseph Zawodny, a NASA scientist involved with the work on LENR.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

This article is 9 years old.

I dont think the current energy companies would allow this.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

But nuclear.

Hiroshima! Chernobyl in every backyard!

Not in MY backyard!

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
I hope they’re at least using pellet heaters.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Terrible Robot posted:

The dude with the world record for most lightning strikes survived was electrocuted while working on his pool's filtration pump.

Life's a bitch.

No he shot himself.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Arglebargle III posted:

No he shot himself.

If you want something done right, do it yourself, apparently.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Smiling Jack posted:

Modern wood burning stoves are quite efficient and produce very low amounts of particulate.

I’m guessing London is full of old, outdated woods stoves that are being dusted off and used out of confusion.

E: a really good new wood stove can get up around 88% efficiency. The record holder clean coal plant in Denmark is 91% efficient in comparison.

Murgos fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Dec 30, 2017

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

LingcodKilla posted:

Yeah the last news from Hyperion is that they had changed their name to Gen4 Energy and they had completed the DOE's requirements to run a testbed reactor with a lead-bismuth coolant. That was 2 years ago, and I imagine Two Scoops appointing loving rootin tootin shootin cowboy Texas oilman Rick Perry to the Secretary of Energy position means that they will never build that reactor, because oil's good enough right?

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

orange juche posted:

Yeah the last news from Hyperion is that they had changed their name to Gen4 Energy and they had completed the DOE's requirements to run a testbed reactor with a lead-bismuth coolant. That was 2 years ago, and I imagine Two Scoops appointing loving rootin tootin shootin cowboy Texas oilman Rick Perry to the Secretary of Energy position means that they will never build that reactor, because oil's good enough right?

Or it could be that Perry thinks small reactors are a good idea. But that must not be true, because it wouldn't fit your worldview.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Trump is in favor of reducing the financial and regulatory burdens on nukes and coal. Since it's Trump, I'm sure it'll be a lot of blindly removing regulations regardless of consequence.

Communist Zombie
Nov 1, 2011
The trump administration is openly corrupt, incompetent, and refuses to look towards the future. You cant blame him for thinking Perry would be the same.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

MikeCrotch posted:

Unfortunately smog is making a comeback in London...thanks to too many people installing wood burning stoves as an "environmentally friendly option". Particulate pollution from them has gotten so bad that the current Mayor is calling for a ban.

What

Where are the British even finding trees to burn, Norway?

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

Communist Zombie posted:

You cant blame him for thinking Perry would be the same.

Yeah I can blame someone for just blindly following their biases instead of taking a moment to type "rick perry nuclear" into Google and reading the second link.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Nebakenezzer posted:

What

Where are the British even finding trees to burn, Norway?

:confused:

There are managed forests all over the UK. Are you confusing it for the Gobi Desert or Antarctica maybe?

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

drgitlin posted:

:confused:

There are managed forests all over the UK.

Yeah, where else would the Sheriff hunt?

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Smiling Jack posted:

what the gently caress this is the airpower thread

Bomb London with Cold War airpower imo

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

air power air pollutants same thing

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
What could be more cold war than the yellow fog during a red scare?

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

Smiling Jack posted:

air power air pollutants same thing

Heat the world with J57's :clint:

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

Murgos posted:

E: a really good new wood stove can get up around 88% efficiency. The record holder clean coal plant in Denmark is 91% efficient in comparison.

Apologize immediately for this post.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Murgos posted:

London is ... old, outdated

Checks out.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Groda posted:

Apologize immediately for this post.

Energy extraction efficiency. Not cost efficiency or transport efficiency or even energy density. Coal wins on many levels for mass production of power but saying that wood stoves aren’t good just isn’t true anymore.

Murgos fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Dec 31, 2017

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
Just pass a law mandating that all new wood stoves have a catalytic converter fitted and then start taxing people about the same amount as a cord of firewood a year if they don't retrofit their old stoves.

And before people go "oh that's impractical" I'll point out that the UK is a country where the BBC sends trucks around with Van Eck phreaking devices to find people watching TV without a license.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Murgos posted:

Energy extraction efficiency. Not cost efficiency or transport efficiency or even energy density. Coal wins on many levels for mass production of power but saying that wood stoves aren’t good just isn’t true anymore.

I personally felt that the offending term was "clean coal plant", a thing that does not and will never exist.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
I’ve spent the last week or so in a single digit or subzero area with snow a few times a day. I’ve also been walking several miles per day. The difference in visible smoke, smell, and staining of housing and trees between older wood burning heaters and pellet heaters is pretty damned remarkable. Apparently the most efficient pellet heaters produce about 3-5% as much carbon/hour as traditional wood stoves/heaters.

Of course, the carbon footprint in my cetaphil usage is probably off the charts.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

C.M. Kruger posted:

And before people go "oh that's impractical" I'll point out that the UK is a country where the BBC sends trucks around with Van Eck phreaking devices to find people watching TV without a license.

I’m not sure that was ever true.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Craptacular posted:

Or it could be that Perry thinks small reactors are a good idea. But that must not be true, because it wouldn't fit your worldview.

Trump says that his accountants (who wear yamulkes, he’ll have you know) are very angry—very angry—about the 1.5 million million dollar tax bill.

Saying something don’t make it so.

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

Murgos posted:

Energy efficiency has nothing to do with this. Particulates and uncombusted volitiles are what cause the air pollution.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Groda posted:

Energy efficiency has nothing to do with this. Particulates and uncombusted volitiles are what cause the air pollution.

And a modern wood stove burns it’s exhaust gases with a catalyst. They produce 1/30th of the particulate of even the best wood stoves from 10 years ago.

If your criteria is 0 emissions then *shrug* you're going to be disappointed.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

LingcodKilla posted:

Honestly I just google searched "atomic home" hoping to find some stupid pop-sci piece from the 60's about how every home would be powered by personal fission reactors ~in the year 2000~

Timmy Age 6
Jul 23, 2011

Lobster says "mrow?"

Ramrod XTreme
Fun combination of Cold War, cold weather, and nuclear power: Project Iceworm. A gigantic tunnel complex absolutely in the rear end end of nowhere Greenland, run by compact nuclear reactors and capable of storing and launching up to 600 missiles. A test installation was built, which actually did have a small nuclear reactor, and it ran for a few years before it turned out that the glaciers were moving fast enough to make things unstable (i.e. not the best idea for missile silos...). Nuclear waste disposal was the "eh, screw it, it'll be covered in ice forever" method, but climate change means that it may be exposed by 2100.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

drgitlin posted:

I’m not sure that was ever true.

MI5 used basically the same principle for finding spies via the local oscillator in their radio, so it's entirely technically possible.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_RAFTER
https://cryptome.org/jya/radio-rec.htm

Nowadays you can do the same thing with a $20 USB dongle.
https://www.rtl-sdr.com/using-an-sdr-to-listen-to-superhet-radios-unintentional-emissions/

Though if anything it's far more likely the BBC typically just had somebody walk through the neighborhood in the evening with a list of houses that don't have licenses while checking for antennas, sound spill, or that distinct flicker of light from a TV. If they actually have detector trucks I would suspect that they only get used in areas where they haven't been catching people by simpler means.

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

Platystemon posted:

Trump says that his accountants (who wear yamulkes, he’ll have you know) are very angry—very angry—about the 1.5 million million dollar tax bill.

Saying something don’t make it so.

So your argument is that Perry is just giving lip service to nuclear power being a good idea? What proof do you have of this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
Maybe Perry just heard the president wants to use nukes and misunderstood.