Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

SlyFrog posted:

The cheek swab test is exactly what this guy (the psychiatrist) gave me. He then prescribed folic acid. Should I ignore him and take the other stuff instead? (I'm not being sarcastic, I'm being serious.)

This is why I'm asking what he actually found

http://mthfr.net/absolutely-no-folic-acid-question/2011/10/04/

quote:

Those with C677T MHTFR mutations do not process folic acid into 5-MTHF.

If folic acid does not turn into 5-MTHF, folic acid levels build up. Elevated folic acid has potential to stimulate pre-existing cancer cells.

That said, it is unwise to provide supplemental folic acid to anyone with MTHFR C677T mutations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?

Well, I don't know what he found (because he did not really tell me, other than rambling something quickly), but now I'm certainly creeped the gently caress out.

Theoretically, this is one of those cases where you should be able to trust your doctor. This is probably a sign as to why this guy is bad for me; generally speaking, a patient should not have to work so loving hard to interpret the science behind a doctor's decision.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
I mean I'm certainly not a doctor but it sounds like your doctor sucks

My wife got tagged on MTHFR by her OB and he sat down and talked her through what it was, why it's relevant, and what the treatment is

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

SlyFrog, IANAL but I do have mild brain problems and I see a therapist and psychiatrist. I don't know if your doc is terrible, but it definitely sounds like you have a bad rapport with him. What should happen is that if he says something and you feel like it is too rushed/mumbled/you don't understand, you need to be able to stop him and ask him to explain it again. If you don't feel comfortable doing that or he isn't willing to, its a bad fit and you should find a different doctor.

I get that you might need to wait to see another doctor for several months, but you should consider if that time is any better spent on a bad doctor you don't connect with.

Emanuel Collective
Jan 16, 2008

by Smythe
SlyFrog, I've been in your position. And you're handling it better than I did. I decided my depression was something that could be treated like an illness, swore off therapy, and spent a year and a half to find a drug cocktail that worked. I managed to find a cocktail that kept me level-headed during the day. But my entire way of thinking was still hosed up, so I drank to cope. For the better part of two years, my only coherent moments would be at work. Work; blur; work; blur. By time I sobered up and headed to therapy, I'd ruined most of my friendships. I'm still working on rebuilding them.

I know this is cold comfort. But you're on the right path.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.
I know your situation is more high stress than any of mine have ever been, but for me, private practice is where I felt that 'don't like this poo poo at all' more than any other situation. I've done a lot of different gov jobs before and since, and none of them, even the overworked/understaffed crim prosecution job where I was being thrown into trials and bullshit I wasn't prepared to handle, was as bad as private.

I just got involuntary assigned to the most stressful, most publicized, least organized gov atty job on the island, and I don't even consider going back private as an option.

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014
On a lower level of discourse, this is what your clients do to come to the decision that you are a bad lawyer even though you gave sound advice.

Also, any coffee productivity pros itt have an opinion on how best to stagger coffee to not become immune to caffeine?

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX
all my heavily coffee dependent friends eventually moved onto caffeine pills (the ones that truckers use)

i tried half a pill once and it was a pretty intense experience

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer

Nonexistence posted:

On a lower level of discourse, this is what your clients do to come to the decision that you are a bad lawyer even though you gave sound advice.

Also, any coffee productivity pros itt have an opinion on how best to stagger coffee to not become immune to caffeine?

Preworkouts. Or caffeine pills, as the poster above suggests. Or both

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Shoot the coffee into your butt OP

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
I used to take 1,3dmaa until the FDA banned it for potentially causing high blood pressure , as well as monster energy drinks . it worked extremely well and I was in great shape

now I take high blood pressure medication and am lethargic and fat. these things are unrelated

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Shoot the coffee into your butt OP

Butt chugging caffeine is an ethics violation.

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord
Coffee consumption is an art form. My week day regimen is:

1) 3 cups upon waking;
2) 1 cup around 11am;
3) 1-2 cups around 2:30pm; and
4) If I need to stay up late, I'll have another 2-3 cups around 5 p.m.

Cup = 12 oz, none of this 6 oz cup bullshit.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Nonexistence posted:

Don't drink it when you don't need it. You become relatively immune to the caffine you drink and become dependent on it rather than having it help you. Caffine is addictive and that means it's very easy for you to need caffine to get back to your baseline instead of making you more alert, so you have to agressively avoid getting too addicted or you're not actually getting anything out of it. If you drink 4 cups a day, then when you need to pull an all-nighter drinking four cups of coffee does nothing for you.

I drink a cup of coffee in the mornings, and then I try to avoid caffine unless I'm more tired than usual or need to focus more than usual. That way, when I need caffine to work, my body isn't habituated to it and drinking coffee to substitute for sleep actually works, somewhat.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
I get headachey and lovely when I don't drink at least a pot to myself before noon. that usually hsppens on trial days. I wouldn't say that it's a great system.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
Yeah, you don't drink coffee to stay awake, you drink it to keep the headaches and shakes away.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

terrorist ambulance posted:

I get headachey and lovely when I don't drink at least a pot to myself before noon. that usually hsppens on trial days. I wouldn't say that it's a great system.

the week after my month-long trial was one hell of an unpleasant detox

fortunately i spent most of it asleep or hiding from interacting with people

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
I always drink one cup when I wake up around 6 and often another cup when I get to the office. Sometimes a third cup after lunch but that's rare. Then I drink four or six jack and cokes so I guess I drink too much caffeine? I dunno

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.
For those that made the transition from Big Law to In-House (or even better, out of law to a business role), how did you actually do it? I get dozens of emails and calls each month about lateralling to other firms, but have never once heard from a recruiter regarding an in-house position. I'm completely ignorant on the subject of how to make the transition. Our clients are mostly PE, so transitioning to a client is near impossible as their in-house lawyers are essentially SEC compliance and fund formation/maintenance and I know absolutely nothing about either of those fields (and they sound relatively boring).

So for those who have made the switch, how did you do it? how did you find your job? how did your comp structure change (was it drastic?) and am I just looking at a grass is greener situation where in house will just be more of the same poo poo?

It's a little early for me to be thinking of it as I'm still a 3rd year associate (conventional wisdom says the sweet spot is years 5-6 for the the transition), but I need to start looking forward at this point, I'm not sure I can stomach the job day in and day out without some sort of future goal away from the firm.

disjoe
Feb 18, 2011

Nonexistence posted:

Move to Adderall.

HiddenReplaced
Apr 21, 2007

Yeah...
it's wanking time.

Sab0921 posted:

I get dozens of emails and calls each month about lateralling to other firms, but have never once heard from a recruiter regarding an in-house position.

I'm still a 3rd year associate ...

This is why you aren't getting calls about in-house jobs. As a midlevel / senior associate I get contacted about in-house gigs pretty regularly.

As for getting jobs through PE clients, depending on skillset sometimes even if they won't hire you for the actual fund they will hire you to work for one of their acquired targets.

Caffeine is actually a pretty amazing stimulant if you never use it. I went cold turkey about 15-20 years ago and now only use it on days where I didn't sleep the night before thanks to my wonderful toddler. I can just sip on some tea throughout the day and I'm wide awake.

HiddenReplaced fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Mar 20, 2017

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.

HiddenReplaced posted:

This is why you aren't getting calls about in-house jobs. As a midlevel / senior associate I get contacted about in-house gigs pretty regularly.

As for getting jobs through PE clients, depending on skillset sometimes even if they won't hire you for the actual fund they will hire you to work for one of their acquired targets.

Yeah - there is always the hope of joining a portfolio company with sweet incentive equity, but those jobs are very few and far between.

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Abugadu posted:

I just got involuntary assigned to the most stressful, most publicized, least organized gov atty job on the island, and I don't even consider going back private as an option.

I'm trying to guess what this is but there's a lot to choose from. Something with GMH or DOE? Suing the Feds?

Edit: medical pot stuff with the board of pharmacy?

yronic heroism fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Mar 20, 2017

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.

yronic heroism posted:

I'm trying to guess what this is but there's a lot to choose from. Something with GMH or DOE? Suing the Feds?

Edit: medical pot stuff with the board of pharmacy?

land management/ancestral land trust/chamorro land trust, the last of which is about to be part of a massive federal lawsuit over which the legislature is bound and determined to go down in flames, potentially making a gently caress-ton of poor people suddenly homeless.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Meth heads are the worst witnesses.

Thank you for allowing me to post this insightful comment, namaste.

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

El Presidente smiles upon this thread.

Abugadu posted:

land management/ancestral land trust/chamorro land trust, the last of which is about to be part of a massive federal lawsuit over which the legislature is bound and determined to go down in flames, potentially making a gently caress-ton of poor people suddenly homeless.

“Oregon is for living in and ancestral land is for fighting over”—not an ancient proverb of the Marianas, but should be

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?
Okay, as follow up (for WJ) I had a chance to get back to my notes regarding the call from the psychiatrist. I did make him explain the M-thing after all (which he was irritable about, per my notes).

It is MTHFR. He said it means I don't metabolize folic acid, and that the response was to prescribe more folic acid.

He did not say anything more, including about any particular gene that could mean additional folic acid would be bad. The above is the entirety of what he said.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Abugadu posted:

Wow, that's a pretty interesting case. IRRC, the norwegian supreme court was faced with a somewhat similar situation regarding the indigenous Sami population and their right to use/own a part of a mountain range pretty much on ancient custom and an agreement with municipal (which then binds state) authority - while also extinguishing the rights of local non-indigenous inhabitants.

They made use of ICESCR, ICCPR, the Indigenous and Tribal Peoples Convention, 1989 ILO 169 and contract law with the main focus on the "subjective standard" interpretations of indigenous culture to rule in favour of the Sami, kind of over established norwegian contract law, which apparently was a bit of an upset and led to a small but noteworthy uptick of the racisms.

All in all it sounds like a lot of very complicated work. I hope you find it rewarding, at least. Can you recommend any reading on it?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

SlyFrog posted:

Okay, as follow up (for WJ) I had a chance to get back to my notes regarding the call from the psychiatrist. I did make him explain the M-thing after all (which he was irritable about, per my notes).

It is MTHFR. He said it means I don't metabolize folic acid, and that the response was to prescribe more folic acid.

He did not say anything more, including about any particular gene that could mean additional folic acid would be bad. The above is the entirety of what he said.

this guy is useless and you are absolutely right to fire his rear end

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

SlyFrog posted:

Yeah find a new shrink. Also try to get out and exercise? If you're free some Sunday I can introduce you to a casual running group (meaning you can walk if you want).

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Abugadu posted:

Didn't American Samoa win a similar case though, or am I misremembering?

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Nice piece of fish posted:

All in all it sounds like a lot of very complicated work. I hope you find it rewarding, at least. Can you recommend any reading on it?

do a westlaw search for "only on guam"

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

SlyFrog posted:

bad news: get a new doctor

good news: MTHFR pharmaceutical-resistant depression is A Thing so at least there's a possible explanation for why you've been not seeing results with other drugs but reading that article it seems like there's a bunch of Medical Type poo poo going on so finding a doctor who knows what they're talking about seems like it'd be a good idea instead of just Hey I Can Buy This poo poo On The Interneting yourself

WhiskeyJuvenile fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Mar 20, 2017

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal
I'm finishing my 1L year, and landed an internship at the U.S. State Department, I wonder how lucky I got versus how much already having a security clearance helped. My career services office said it was a 11 out of 10 position since I want to go back to working for the fed anyway. A few of my classmates are pretty salty about it, so I don't know.

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

lol you think there will be a state department when you graduate

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.
Is the justice department affected by the hiring freeze?

Does an internship count as being hired? I assume they aren't paying you

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

Kimsemus posted:

I'm finishing my 1L year, and landed an internship at the U.S. State Department, I wonder how lucky I got versus how much already having a security clearance helped. My career services office said it was a 11 out of 10 position since I want to go back to working for the fed anyway. A few of my classmates are pretty salty about it, so I don't know.

V10 or bust homie. No prestige in serving your country - Weil will be much better equipped to deploy your unique talents in service of sophisticated clients.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group
Have fun working for an agency where the boss wants to cut its budget by 20%.

Actual photo of the Old State Department Library from back in Jan.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

Nice piece of fish posted:

Wow, that's a pretty interesting case. IRRC, the norwegian supreme court was faced with a somewhat similar situation regarding the indigenous Sami population and their right to use/own a part of a mountain range pretty much on ancient custom and an agreement with municipal (which then binds state) authority - while also extinguishing the rights of local non-indigenous inhabitants.

They made use of ICESCR, ICCPR, the Indigenous and Tribal Peoples Convention, 1989 ILO 169 and contract law with the main focus on the "subjective standard" interpretations of indigenous culture to rule in favour of the Sami, kind of over established norwegian contract law, which apparently was a bit of an upset and led to a small but noteworthy uptick of the racisms.

I can't discuss it too much, as I've gotten doxxed in the past(albeit low-grade) when commenting about anything public, it's a small island with red hot tempers flaring right now. But you can google 'guam plebiscite' and read the court opinion, which judges the CLTC's criteria (which was used in the plebiscite's law as the legal definition for those allowed to vote) as race-based and requiring strict scrutiny - not as huge of a 'welp you're screwed' as most people think, but historically we're looking at like a 20% chance at best without even going into case specifics, given the nature of the claim. Add to that, our elected leaders do not want to discuss a settlement or amendment with the feds, and if they could pass a law banning discussions just to show how passionate they are about this, they would.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Abugadu posted:

I can't discuss it too much, as I've gotten doxxed in the past(albeit low-grade) when commenting about anything public, it's a small island with red hot tempers flaring right now. But you can google 'guam plebiscite' and read the court opinion, which judges the CLTC's criteria (which was used in the plebiscite's law as the legal definition for those allowed to vote) as race-based and requiring strict scrutiny - not as huge of a 'welp you're screwed' as most people think, but historically we're looking at like a 20% chance at best without even going into case specifics, given the nature of the claim. Add to that, our elected leaders do not want to discuss a settlement or amendment with the feds, and if they could pass a law banning discussions just to show how passionate they are about this, they would.

Well, that's lovely. Thanks for the pointer anyway.

How's the US record on dealing with native people's rights, more generally speaking? Most of the major indigenous groups constantly clamor for some measure of selv-government. I know that this has been granted in a way with the native american "indian reservations", and as far as Guam goes it's pretty fascinating reading to see how much in common the Chamorro people have with other recognized indigenous people under special preservation or limited self-managment. Are the Chamorro people generally treated worse than native americans? Not to turn my nose up to the US or anything, they are neither the worst nor the best when it comes to native people's rights, but from a european perspective it's strange to see an issue like this arise without some state intervention to safeguard native rights and culture.