Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

You wait for the war to happen like vultures.
If you want to help, prevent the war.
Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.
Bleached Turtle Scrotum is one of the best things I've heard in a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU
"Maybe she's not still a 10" was my Valentine's Day card for 5 years. Strangely enough I didn't have a Valentine's Date for those 5 years.

Drakhoran
Oct 21, 2012

Bait and Swatch posted:

Also, Iran's conventional forces are quite limited. The hundreds of thousands of paramilitary forces are not, and the insurgency and assymetric attacks they could wage are the primary threat. Invading Iran would be pointless and the aftermath would be incredibly bloody.

While I'm sure the US could invade Iran if they through enough resources at it, Iran does have one significant advantage over Iraq when it comes to defending themselves:

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Drakhoran posted:

While I'm sure the US could invade Iran if they through enough resources at it, Iran does have one significant advantage over Iraq when it comes to defending themselves:

Just wake me up when every Golden Corral is outfitted with a saffron fountain.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I like how even though he is objecting to Trump's misogynist insults and defender her, Crowder is still able to accidentally slip in some of his own.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

Big McHuge posted:

Bleached Turtle Scrotum is one of the best things I've heard in a while.

Turtles don't have scrotums. I'm just pointing out that Crowder is dumb and highlighting my pendanticalness

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

radical meme posted:

Saudi Arabia and other majority sunni states. Here's an interesting article on how ridiculously easy it would be to kick the poo poo out of the U.S. Navy in the Persian Gulf.

It goes into detail about what Van Riper did which was basically utilize an enormous number of civilian small ships and aircraft to buzz and shadow and generally become a nuisance to our mighty military allowing the real threats to get up close.

The thing with an aircraft carrier is that you don't need to move one anywhere near where you're planning to attack. They can stand off at a range well beyond whatever punt boats and civilian kamikaze planes Iran can put up and do their mission just as effectively as they would a few miles offshore.

Not saying that attacking Iran is a good idea or that it'd be easy, but Van Riper's tactics wouldn't really be applicable during a hot war.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

radical meme posted:

Saudi Arabia and other majority sunni states.

Wouldn't Russia and China funnel as much funding and military hardware into Iran as they could without being caught in that scenario?

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Keeshhound posted:

Wouldn't Russia and China funnel as much funding and military hardware into Iran as they could without being caught in that scenario?

Russia, maybe. Depends on the situation. China, probably not.

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Keeshhound posted:

I agree with Zeroisanumber, Russia probably yes. Does China sell arms, military equipment to any country? I really don't know the answer to that.

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

radical meme posted:

I agree with Zeroisanumber, Russia probably yes. Does China sell arms, military equipment to any country? I really don't know the answer to that.

Maybe North Korea?

Edit: Quick googling says China is the third biggest arms exporter.

http://sinosphere.blogs.nytimes.com/2015/03/16/china-becomes-worlds-third-largest-arms-exporter/?_r=0

quote:

The leading buyers of Chinese materiel were Pakistan, Bangladesh and Myanmar, which received more than two-thirds of China’s total exports. China also sold armored vehicles, and transport and trainer aircraft, to Venezuela; three frigates to Algeria; antiship missiles to Indonesia; and major arms to 18 African states, the report said.

“For the most part, Chinese weapons don’t have a major impact on military capability,” Mr. Bitzinger said. “They can close some deals that are good for them, good for their industry, but it’s still hard to find Chinese weapon systems that you could argue are significant game changers when it comes to regional balances of power.”

China’s efforts to sell complex military platforms have run into obstacles in recent years. Turkey’s plan to buy a $3 billion air-defense missile package from China has stalled over concerns from the United States and Europe. Likewise, analysts say the J-31, China’s stealth fighter jet, may not find widespread interest among foreign buyers because of concerns over its stealthiness, heavy maintenance demands and low-quality engines.

RoyKeen fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Sep 10, 2015

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
I was thinking the prospect of cheaper oil from a greatful Tehran might sway them.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Conservatives.jpeg

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Keeshhound posted:

I was thinking the prospect of cheaper oil from a greatful Tehran might sway them.

In order to get oil to China, they'd have to ship it. Same thing with weapons. I doubt that Uncle Sam would be letting any ships into Iranian ports during a war.

Pervis
Jan 12, 2001

YOSPOS

radical meme posted:

I don't have the knowledge or background so I'll defer to war geeks on whether or not Van Ripper cheated, which is kind of comical in itself imagining a bunch of high level officers sitting around a table screaming, "nuh uh, you cheated, you don't get to win". Still though, I can't imagine the U.S. military even recommending an invasion of Iran. We've got evidence of Russian involvement in Syria right now, just imagine what they'd do too help Iran bleed the U.S. dry if we started a ground war in Iran.

In some thread months ago there was a story about how from ~2006 to the end of the Bush admin the head Admiral(s) of the Navy explicitly forbid having more carriers in the Gulf at any one time, specifically so that we couldn't launch an attack on Iran. The service itself knows how bad it would be, but the mix of profiteers and utter loving morons who think that the surge working temporarily somehow validated the whole Iraq war (until Obama "messed it up") do not care. Basic things like Iran's population/size compared to Iraq, let alone the state of it's military and population are completely ignored.

A basic comparison of statements made by these same fellows in the Bush admin to what actually ensued should render the whole argument moot, but here we are. Our media sucks.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Conservatives.jpeg

I can just imagine them trying to hit escape or click somewhere else on the page, and finally closing the browser tab. Anything not to click "I'm a liberal."

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

Pervis posted:

In some thread months ago there was a story about how from ~2006 to the end of the Bush admin the head Admiral(s) of the Navy explicitly forbid having more carriers in the Gulf at any one time, specifically so that we couldn't launch an attack on Iran. The service itself knows how bad it would be, but the mix of profiteers and utter loving morons who think that the surge working temporarily somehow validated the whole Iraq war (until Obama "messed it up") do not care. Basic things like Iran's population/size compared to Iraq, let alone the state of it's military and population are completely ignored.

A basic comparison of statements made by these same fellows in the Bush admin to what actually ensued should render the whole argument moot, but here we are. Our media sucks.

Holy poo poo.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

radical meme posted:

I don't have the knowledge or background so I'll defer to war geeks on whether or not Van Ripper cheated, which is kind of comical in itself imagining a bunch of high level officers sitting around a table screaming, "nuh uh, you cheated, you don't get to win". Still though, I can't imagine the U.S. military even recommending an invasion of Iran. We've got evidence of Russian involvement in Syria right now, just imagine what they'd do too help Iran bleed the U.S. dry if we started a ground war in Iran.

you shouldn't quote Van Riper as an example of why an amphibious invasion against a modern nation well equipped to defend its coastline with anti-ship missiles is a terrible idea

the bigger problem is that all those bullets flying in the gulf would gently caress with a huge percentage of the world's oil flow

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

radical meme posted:

The Iranian air force has some Chinese-built MiG-21 derivatives, I think, but I don't see China going to the mat for them if we lose our minds and start a war with Iran.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
An elderly Sikh gentleman was attacked in Chicago for being Muslim.

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender

CommieGIR posted:

An elderly Sikh gentleman was attacked in Chicago for being Muslim.
Which presidential candidate did this one endorse during processing?

Edit - No one charged yet, we'll have to wait to find out.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
Wasn't there also a recent firebombing of a Sikh temple by anti-Muslim folks in recent memory? Or an attack of some sort. It really does make me facepalm pretty hard because it's like...a guy with a dark tan complexion and a turban is not automatically a Muslim. I know Sikh things look Muslim but they're actually, you know, kind of a bit different.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Wasn't there also a recent firebombing of a Sikh temple by anti-Muslim folks in recent memory? Or an attack of some sort. It really does make me facepalm pretty hard because it's like...a guy with a dark tan complexion and a turban is not automatically a Muslim. I know Sikh things look Muslim but they're actually, you know, kind of a bit different.

Yes, in Wisconsin. It was a shooting.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wisconsin_Sikh_temple_shooting

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Yeah, that's exactly what I was thinking of.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

The wiki article makes it look like the shooter wasn't explicitly anti-Muslim; he may have picked targets based on the paper-bag test.

Also it makes me sad that the Hammerskins aren't a dwarven LARP group.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Bravo Glenn Beck

quote:

“I’m going to say it. I don’t care what Sarah Palin says any more. Sarah Palin has become a clown. I’m embarrassed that I was once for Sarah Palin. Honestly, I’m embarrassed… I don’t know who she is any more, I don’t know what she stands for. I saw a clip of her talking to Donald Trump. What the hell is that? I don’t even know who she is any more.”

http://www.mediaite.com/online/glenn-beck-is-embarrassed-that-he-ever-supported-clown-sarah-palin/

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

quote:

Mike Huckabee for months has been peddling a faulty understanding of how the law in America works. The former Arkansas governor insists that unless a local, state, or federal lawmaking body, like your city council or the U.S. Congress, passes a bill and it is signed into law, it isn't law. In other words, everything is illegal unless a law makes it legal.

On top of that false theory, Huckabee insists that the Supreme Court cannot "make laws." So if they strike down a law, say, a ban on same-sex marriage, that does not mean that same-sex marriage is legal.

Some may have bought into this fiddle-faddle, but now Huckabee has pushed his unique version of jurisprudence too far.

"Mike Huckabee said Wednesday that the Supreme Court’s 1857 ruling in Dred Scott v. Sandford — which held that all blacks, free or enslaved, could not be American citizens — is still the law of the land even though no one follows it," Buzzfeed's Christopher Massie reports today.

Of course, nearly every high school student, and many even younger, know that the 14th Amendment overturned the Dred Scott decision.

“I’ve been just drilled by TV hosts over the past week, ‘How dare you say that, uh, it’s not the law of the land?’” Huckabee told right wing radio host Michael Medved. “Because that’s their phrase, ‘it’s the law of the land. Michael, the Dred Scott decision of 1857 still remains to this day the law of the land which says that black people aren’t fully human. Does anybody still follow the Dred Scott Supreme Court decision?”

Medved asked Huckabee if he would try, if elected president, to overturn the Supreme Court's ruling on same-sex marriage.

“I don’t think that’s necessary,” Huckabee said. “Because, in the case of this decision, it goes back to what Jefferson said that if a decision is rendered that is not borne out by the will of the people either through their elected people and gone through the process, if you just say, it’s the law of the land because the court decided, then Jefferson said, ‘You now have surrendered to judicial tyranny.’”

“The Supreme Court in the same-sex marriage decision made a law and they made it up out of thin air. Therefore, until Congress decides to codify that and give it a statute it’s really not an operative law and that’s why what Kim Davis did was operate under not only the Kentucky Constitution which was the law under which she was elected but she’s operating under the fact that there’s no statute in her state nor at the federal level that authorizes her,” Huckabee claimed.

http://www.thenewcivilrightsmovement.com/davidbadash/mike_huckabee_just_said_the_dred_scott_decision_remains_to_this_day_the_law_of_the_land

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
I would be afraid of what Republicans could do if they didn't spend 3/4ths of their day writing legalese fan fiction that explains how what they want to do is already a law.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

People are saying the Bernie/Hillary rift is causing problems but these guys are outright devouring each other.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

Necc0 posted:

People are saying the Bernie/Hillary rift is causing problems but these guys are outright devouring each other.

We need to collect examples of the Gop and Dem primaries being compared without much caveat. A gargantuan name candidate vs a shockingly strong progressive challenger orrrrrrrrrrrr Donald Trump being your frontrunner out of nowhere and sending your entire field into a series of panicked ill advised moves while he flips tables and offends everyone but racist scum*.

Yeah hard to choose which one I'd rather be caught up in. Real head scratcher.

*oh and the media is starting to catch on to what it means when a Republican says racist awful dogwhistle poo poo with a bullhorn and ends up shooting up in the polls.

Intel&Sebastian fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Sep 10, 2015

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Necc0 posted:

Maybe online, but not in any real-life instances I've noticed.

I think most Bernie supporters understand the sheer political force behind Clinton, and most Clinton supporters understand his populist appeal. (And perhaps wish she'd adopt more of it.)

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

I think most Bernie supporters understand the sheer political force behind Clinton, and most Clinton supporters understand his populist appeal. (And perhaps wish she'd adopt more of it.)

I've made several $1 bets on the primary that say differently, but even my friends who are very strongly pro-Bernie aren't going to hold a grudge against Hilldog once the real election campaign begins.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

One of my newest favorite things is the usual right-wing media shills breathlessly pointing out "Trump, Carson and Fiorina are on top, and what do they have in common?? They're all outsiders! Wake up and see how REAL AMERICANS are sick of politicians!"

The same people who eight years ago were screeching nonstop about how Obama was a political rookie for not being a Senator long enough and was utterly unfit to lead because of it.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Hazo posted:

The same people who eight years ago were screeching nonstop about how Obama was a political rookie for not being a Senator long enough and was utterly unfit to lead because of it.

This is completely false.

They said he was unqualified because he was just a community organizer. :smug:

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Trump and Bernie are undeniably benefitting from the ugh factor, but yeah, throw another grain of objectively demonstratable hypocrisy on Republican Beach.

Trump in particular is awesome because now it's not just the party being called out for being a bunch of petty anarchists, it's their voters too now. They cant toss out excuses fast enough to explain why they're so enamored with someone with zero real policy positions. Even better, on top of a bunch of fake dumb positions he also has a bunch of past positions that they're out there deploying the doublethink on to justify loving him. And what amazing thing did he do to become the beloved leader of tea party America? Acted like a big rear end in a top hat racist and refused to back down over it. That's about it.

I can't think of a better revenge than this for the GOP handing their party over to white identity politics and forgetting that was just supposed to be lip service. Couldn't happen to a nicer bunch of folks.

Intel&Sebastian fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Sep 10, 2015

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:
So, surprising to no one, the counseling the Duggars sought for Josh involved telling him his sisters were at fault, and their specific cultish sect has a charismatic leader with a list of sexual harassment allegations a mile long. People who followed Prester John's threads about growing up in a fundamentalist cult atmosphere will feel right at home with this article describing the Duggar's close connection to the Institute in Basic Life Principles headed by Bill Gothard.

quote:

In IBLP seminars, girls were taught that boys were “almost unable to control their lust,” Rose said. “It was our responsibility to help them control it by dressing modestly. And if we didn’t, we just got what we had coming to us.”
Since 2012, more than 30 women have come forward with allegations that Gothard subjected them to sexual harassment while working at IBLP over the years. For one woman, that harassment allegedly included Gothard’s own version of “counseling” for a childhood rape.
The Wisdom Booklets were also designed to give ATI families a sense of godly superiority. The very first one, for example, suggests a family outing to a supermarket parking lot in order to “to develop the spiritual skill of ‘seeing’ people as Jesus saw them.” The booklet gives examples of how when one carefully observes strangers, one can perceive, for example, that a teenage boy had “low esteem of himself by the way he dressed and by his appearance,” or that his eyes and dress display “a spirit of rebellion toward authority.” Or one could discern “that the young woman walking toward the store has the attire of an immoral woman,” and that she needed “to overcome bitterness toward those who have wronged her.”
But while working closely with Gothard there for the next three years, Leigh said he subjected her to “holding hands, playing footsies, stroking the hair and that type of unwanted physical affection.” At the time, she was in her early twenties and he was in his seventies.
“He said to look for girls that looked wholesome and had good charisma, like a good personality about them,” she said. “And yes, pictures he liked were of pretty girls.” Leigh said he also looked for girls who were troubled. His “whole sick approach,” Leigh said, was to pursue girls who “had issues” because he was looking for girls to “disciple” (mentor).
“That was not an uncommon thing. He would counsel them with that [same] material, he would immediately send them home and never report the offenders [to authorities].” Mark said he knew others who had received that same “counseling,” including a girl who had been raped by her uncle when she was five. (Note from ErIog--> This means he told a five year old she was at fault for her uncle raping her.)
His strangest and most onerous demand was that the young women get on their hands and knees and clean stains out of the carpets with a rag or a spoon.
One day, Mark said, after he cleaned the carpets himself with an industrial cleaner, Gothard visited the center and was “livid” to see no girls cleaning it by hand. He ordered center leadership staff to round up some girls to start cleaning.

“It was something that [Gothard] just wanted to see,” Mark said. “He didn’t care that I would come at night and clean that carpet and get rid of all the spots. He wanted to see the girls on their hands and knees scrubbing with spoons.”

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/theslice/duggars-bill-gothard-iblp

Also, the reason this is in this thread:

quote:

Yet in Discovery and TLC’s hands, the Duggars became the sanitized poster children for this insular, authoritarian, and increasingly discredited religious sect, packaged as innocuous for a mass television audience. And IBLP used the Duggars’ fame to promote its teachings. The Duggars, said Leigh, were Gothard’s “model ATI family,” and were “held up as ideal in the IBLP world.” Though IBLP hasn’t rebounded to its glory days, many recent enrollments were loyal viewers who’d been inspired by the show, according to Leigh, who has discussed the matter with recent staffers at IBLP headquarters. As depicted by TLC, the Duggars were a loving, virtuous family—and their biggest fans wanted to know their secret.

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/theslice/duggars-bill-gothard-iblp

ErIog fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Sep 10, 2015

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Phone posted:

The two things I know about Pasadena:

1. It's in the middle of loving nowhere
2. Dr Drew used to live there, maybe he still does

3:

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

Zeroisanumber posted:

I've made several $1 bets on the primary that say differently, but even my friends who are very strongly pro-Bernie aren't going to hold a grudge against Hilldog once the real election campaign begins.

Yeah no kidding. I live in California so since this state is going blue pretty much no matter what I'll probably vote third party if Sanders doesn't get the nomination, but if I lived in a swing state I'd hold my nose and vote for Hillary with zero hesitation.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Anyone who watches an edited family tv show and wonders why that family seems so happy and perfect needs to be euthanized for the safety of the rest of us.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

Hazo posted:

One of my newest favorite things is the usual right-wing media shills breathlessly pointing out "Trump, Carson and Fiorina are on top, and what do they have in common?? They're all outsiders! Wake up and see how REAL AMERICANS are sick of politicians!"

Doctor Butts posted:

This is completely false.

They said he was unqualified because he was just a community organizer. :smug:

I'm pretty sure it was the darkness about Obama that they didn't like. Some sort of shadow hanging over him or something.