Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

blarzgh posted:

Every time I feel like venting about a Dallas lawyer in this thread, I think to myself, "theres no way its Mudd or Scraps, or someone they knw, right?... Probably not. Better not."

Do it anyway. There are 3 or 4 lawyers between the two of us that we like.

Actually I think Mudd got along with my mentor ok (the guy who has the same last name as a judge).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

blarzgh posted:

Every time I feel like venting about a Dallas lawyer in this thread, I think to myself, "theres no way its Mudd or Scraps, or someone they knw, right?... Probably not. Better not."

I'm pretty sure one of your firms lawyers took 6 hours to cross state's expert in a commissioners hearing a few weeks back.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

And if it's neither of them it's probably my ex's father, in which case go ahead anyway.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

I'm pretty sure one of your firms lawyers took 6 hours to cross state's expert in a commissioners hearing a few weeks back.

Lol, if it was one of ours, I know exactly who.

Flutieflakes017
Feb 16, 2012

only if you've been in the deepest valley can you ever know how magnificent it is to be on the highest mountain

CaptainScraps posted:

Do it anyway. There are 3 or 4 lawyers between the two of us that we like.

Actually I think Mudd got along with my mentor ok (the guy who has the same last name as a judge).

Gee, I can't wait to start a little Austin lawyer SA clique to rumble with you guys.

Shaaaarks..... Jeeeets....

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

ChinaBob posted:

Gee, I can't wait to start a little Austin lawyer SA clique to rumble with you guys.

Shaaaarks..... Jeeeets....

I live in Austin but ironically do ALL my lawyering in Dallas.

Flutieflakes017
Feb 16, 2012

only if you've been in the deepest valley can you ever know how magnificent it is to be on the highest mountain

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

I live in Austin but ironically do ALL my lawyering in Dallas.

Get it together and join the jets

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
When are all the Texas lawgoons just gonna get it over with and gently caress?

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp
So is "Dallas lawyer" a term for a lawyer who's appeared on or is similar to a lawyer on the hit CBS tv-show "Dallas"?

RVT
Nov 5, 2003
If any Dallas law goons need a little doc review cash to fill a gap in their otherwise successful lives, I'll have the recruiter immediately staff anyone that makes a non sequitur about whether there are stairs in their house.

You'll need to supply your own box of wine though.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp
I thought all document review processes were done by AIs these days. Can't wait until I'm literally terminated because of a Terminator. Progress!

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Nice piece of fish posted:

So is "Dallas lawyer" a term for a lawyer who's appeared on or is similar to a lawyer on the hit CBS tv-show "Dallas"?

No, its a term used by lawyers who practice in every county around Dallas County that means "unnecessarily aggressive, difficult, borderline unethical, expensive, douchey and drunk."

Its really funny when you're in bum-gently caress nowhere, and the Judge goes, "Oh, you're a Dallas lawyer." And you know the dude is about to get home-towned like a motherfucker.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

blarzgh posted:

No, its a term used by lawyers who practice in every county around Dallas County that means "unnecessarily aggressive, difficult, borderline unethical, expensive, douchey and drunk."

Its really funny when you're in bum-gently caress nowhere, and the Judge goes, "Oh, you're a Dallas lawyer." And you know the dude is about to get home-towned like a motherfucker.

Now I don't know how you do things up in Dallas, but out here in the country we do things a little bit different.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

blarzgh posted:

This is some great poo poo, I had no idea (though I probably should have guessed) that this is a thing in the US too.

Won a case against a supreme-court attourney from a big-law pretty much on this. Well, not really, but it surely didn't hurt.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Mr. Nice! posted:

Now I don't know how you do things up in Dallas, but out here in the country we do things a little bit different.

These words have literally been spoken thousands of times.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

blarzgh posted:

These words have literally been spoken thousands of times.

Almost certainly an understatement. You can also replace "Dallas" with every other largish city and still be true.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Now imagine you're a state's attorney from the big, notably liberal, "weird" state capital. You've just rolled into a one room courthouse in a rural county of 500 people, wearing a suit without boots. And you tell the judge you're there to take their land.

And the judge and his best friend, and the only other lawyer in the county, just look at you.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

blarzgh posted:

oh hey, I am literally dealing with a lawyer from a county around Dallas that fits that exact description

maybe not the drunk, haven't been able to tell yet

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

Now imagine you're a state's attorney from the big, notably liberal, "weird" state capital. You've just rolled into a one room courthouse in a rural county of 500 people, wearing a suit without boots. And you tell the judge you're there to take their land.

And the judge and his best friend, and the only other lawyer in the county, just look at you.

"And then the mommy litigator and the daddy litigator make a lot of weird noises, and that's how appeals are born."

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Nice piece of fish posted:

"And then the mommy litigator and the daddy litigator make a lot of weird noises, and that's how appeals are born."

Haha, first he has to go through a "panel" of "experts" who were "appointed."

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

So we're all getting a drink when I'm back in the ATX from New York on vacation, yes? Can regale y'all with tales of fund formations...

And for those of you who are thinking "No, that's a scene from My Cousin Vinny, that doesn't really happen," it does.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

You rarely have the opportunity to home town the gently caress out of people as a PD, byt every once in a while, a DAG from LA or San Diego would show up to do a case due to either a DA conflict or something, and at that moment, you knew to file all the motions because you had a chance at winning.

I had a DAG accuse me of making up a witness once. Dude was in the courtroom at the time and was like "Uhm, I exist?" I don't think I lost one motion in that case ever again.

Edit: how are you not wearing boots to everything though? Seems like a rookie mistake.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
A texas lawyer that isn't wearing boots is just wearing the wrong clothes.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Jul 13, 2021

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Discendo Vox posted:

Do you also wear ten gallon hats and bola ties?

Bolo ties are acceptable texas business attire and cowboy hats are worn often.

The secret to success in Texas is to be the biggest Texan you can, and that usually means shitkicker in a suit.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

JohnCompany posted:

So we're all getting a drink when I'm back in the ATX from New York on vacation, yes? Can regale y'all with tales of fund formations...

And for those of you who are thinking "No, that's a scene from My Cousin Vinny, that doesn't really happen," it does.

I'm flying to new York Monday for vacation with my wife. First trip since our 3 year old was born.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Can you get a travel reembursement for riding a horse to court in Texas?

California allows private airplane mileage, so I'd imagine Texas has something.

RVT
Nov 5, 2003
Yankees don't believe you're from Texas if you don't have a Texas drawl and a giant truck.

It does help to call them Yankees though. And reference your disappointment in the outcome of the War of Northern Aggression.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

RVT posted:

Yankees don't believe you're from Texas if you don't have a Texas drawl and a giant truck.

These things are true. Half of my family is from New York.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Discendo Vox posted:

I was going to make a Perry joke here, but then I remembered your beloved leader is qualified only by his BS.

There's a looking like Abbott joke here instead, but I don't think it has legs.

:drat:

And hot dog, hit me up if you want to grab lunch or a beer or such, though you're allowed to prefer to spend time with the wife and slash or child. .

Jean-Paul Shartre fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Mar 30, 2017

nm
Jan 28, 2008

RVT posted:

It does help to call them Yankees though. And reference your disappointment in the outcome of the War of Northern Aggression.
I don't believe you're from Texas unless you have regressive social views.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.

nm posted:

I don't believe you're from Texas unless you have regressive social views.

What If you move to Texas and adopt regressive social views

nm
Jan 28, 2008

EwokEntourage posted:

What If you move to Texas and adopt regressive social views

Then you fake it like Hank Hill (from New York city) did.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

You should delete it now. I appreciate the offer, but Im not sure my wife would enjoy internet stranger lunch on our vacation.

Besides my plan is to spend my days in the Met and nights at the theater.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
*60 year old Deputy looks at lawyers walking up to the obviously non-functional metal detector and x-ray machine*

"Heh. Where you boys come from?"

Phil Moscowitz fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Mar 30, 2017

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Lawyers from New Orleans (pop. 389,000) make appearances in 35th Judicial District Court for St. Bernard Parish, literally 5 minutes from contiguous border with New Orleans).

Judge, scratching a week's beard stubble: "Big city lawyers gracing my courtroom!"

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Lawyer chats with local lawyers before docket call.

Local lawyer: "New Orleans huh? What you got today?"

NOLAwyer: "Motion to dismiss."

"You plaintiff or...?"

"Defendant."

Laughter. "Yeah you gonna lose."

NOLAwyer: *argues unassailable dismissal supported by directly on point LA Supreme Court law; loses; proceeds downstairs to eat a meat pie with plaintiff counsel and settle the case for $1,500*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Phil Moscowitz posted:

*60 year old Deputy looks at lawyers walking up to the obviously non-functional metal detector and x-ray machine*

"Heh. Where you boys come from?"

My first courthouse I regularly went to didn't even have a metal detector, much less a non-functional one. This was criminal law too.