Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
Big Corp has a change control process. Yay

Standard flow...

Put in a ticket in the change system: great

Ticket generates a request for approval to leadership for all levels of changes: hmm okay

Requester has to be on the change request weekly conference call to talk about the change in full for every level of change or be denied: oh no baby what you doin

Let’s just say our company is new to the process and these change conference calls take all loving morning. One of the changes I listened to this morning was to correct a distribution list.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

Sickening posted:

Standard flow...

Ticket generates a request for approval to leadership for all levels of changes: hmm okay

Requester has to be on the change request weekly conference call to talk about the change in full for every level of change or be denied: oh no baby what you doin

Let’s just say our company is new to the process and these change conference calls take all loving morning. One of the changes I listened to this morning was to correct a distribution list.

Sounds like someone hosed something up big time and the company is now trying to over correct. Yell at them that this is not proper ITIL best practice

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Defenestrategy posted:

edit: Thinking about it, there's no reason to not apply to stuff, it's up to HR to filter all the chaff not me.

This is the correct attitude :yeah:

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Kashuno posted:

Yeah I should try this. The techs from these companies come out and scream about how to not use DHCP and only statics but a reservation may just solve that issue for me.
Reservations are the correct answer for anything that needs an unchanging IP address. You get all the benefits of a hardcoded IP address with none of the downsides. Your DHCP lease table becomes your IP address documentation, and you know it's always up to date. No more user error when setting IP addresses, no more undocumented changes causing address collisions, etc.

Actual static IPs hardcoded on the device should be limited to the DHCP server(s) it/themselves and anything that must be online for it/them to function and/or be reached. Those, and any ancient but irreplaceable industrial equipment that may require a hardcoded address, should still have reservations defined both for documentation purposes and to prevent anything else from being accidentally given their address.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

The internal position I applied for hadn't been mentioned for a while, so I figured the interviews would be pushed back til after xmas. Nope, just got told by my boss they're tomorrow morning. :stare:

He did say not to worry about getting dressed up, so hopefully it will be somewhat relaxed.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Sickening posted:

Standard flow...

Oh god, I was involved with a change control process like that. Luckily we grew out of it and learned. We simplified CCB a lot and wrote a lot of SOP's. It wasn't a change if we followed a standard operating procedure that was approved.

I work with a guy though who used to work at a large hospital system, and everything went through CCB, even something as mundane as changing the VLAN of a switchport. It would take 6 weeks for a printer to get moved, or something stupid like that. He hated it.

CCB's can be good, but they can also be terrible.

bitterandtwisted posted:

The internal position I applied for hadn't been mentioned for a while, so I figured the interviews would be pushed back til after xmas. Nope, just got told by my boss they're tomorrow morning. :stare:

He did say not to worry about getting dressed up, so hopefully it will be somewhat relaxed.

Odds are it's just a personality fit type interview. Maybe not, every company is different. I always just worried about personality fit more than technical qualifications, you want to make sure the new guy fits with the team.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Defenestrategy posted:

I've also heard the requirements are just a way for HR to dumpster resumes without looking to hard at them. Is that true?

edit: Thinking about it, there's no reason to not apply to stuff, it's up to HR to filter all the chaff not me.

There's a lot more going on, generally, than just this. The job posting is very often a product of IT management and HR people having conversations, where IT manager says stuff like "we'd like a senior IT person, we use a combination of <insert 20 different technologies here>, our entire department does <insert 20 different major tasks here>, we're drowning out there." The HR person takes that information and interprets it into, "Senior candidate = minimum 5 years experience, so by the transitive property, foreach( technology ) print '5 years experience in technology.'"

Simplified example but it's that kind of thing that leads to overloaded job postings. You're right to just apply to everything, and feel free to really reach - as other people have said, if you meet every requirement on the posting, you're overqualified and you'll be real bored.

Cirrhosis Johnson
Jan 9, 2014
Follow up to our migration:

-everything went surprisingly well, the IT guy from the Microsoft Store got everything set up and transferred, including our on-prem file server.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

Sickening posted:

This is nearly ours, except we have change control meetings 4 times a week because our environment is huge. Meh, keeps me apprised of what's happening.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

skipdogg posted:

Oh god, I was involved with a change control process like that. Luckily we grew out of it and learned. We simplified CCB a lot and wrote a lot of SOP's. It wasn't a change if we followed a standard operating procedure that was approved.

I work with a guy though who used to work at a large hospital system, and everything went through CCB, even something as mundane as changing the VLAN of a switchport. It would take 6 weeks for a printer to get moved, or something stupid like that. He hated it.

CCB's can be good, but they can also be terrible.
We use the phrase routine in our change policy to define whether a change needs any kind of formal approval or documentation. It is then left up to person making the change to decide if it is routine or not.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Somewhat burdensome CCB person chiming in here!

Happens once a week for a client of ours, there are a zillion business/application owners in it but it works (mostly) well, though I miss the days before the portion of the company we handle got borged into their corp, our CCBs actually had people discuss changes/impact etc, now everyone keeps their mouths shut. Some stuff gets missed because the business units aren't descriptive enough with what they're changing, such as a few weeks ago when their network team started routing a subnet, that 20 or so locations we manage use, to Azure without actually mentioning in the CCB what IPs they were routing. Part of that was our teams fault, the guy that goes to these meetings isn't super network versed, though he should know, these 3 blocks of IPs are OURS if anyone does anything with them, know what they're doing, ask questions, or bring it up to us.

There is also "predefined" work, which is pre-approved and does not have to go through proper CCB, rather will be a footnote on the change board but will not be talked about in the meeting.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
People who reply all are the worst.

nullfunction
Jan 24, 2005

Nap Ghost

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

People who @everyone are the worst.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

What's @everyone?

nullfunction
Jan 24, 2005

Nap Ghost
The buzzing of a push notification that pulls 60 goons' attention to Slack.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Volguus posted:

What's @everyone?

Nothing much, what's @ with you?

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

People who reply all are the worst.

Why?

Even if it's not entirely relevant, always reply all just to keep everyone on the same page about whatever we're discussing. I do however have a separate rule for message that'd I am only cc'd on, those don't go directly to my Inbox.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

CPColin posted:

:v:

terrenblade
Oct 29, 2012

Tab8715 posted:

Why?

Even if it's not entirely relevant, always reply all just to keep everyone on the same page about whatever we're discussing. I do however have a separate rule for message that'd I am only cc'd on, those don't go directly to my Inbox.

"please remove me from this list."
"this sounds like a good idea."
"I would like chocolate, thank you."

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
People with numbers in their screen name are the worst.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Please deactivate BigBootyEater69 at 4:00PM today.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

DigitalOcean launched their k8s service so if anyone needs a cheap test bed.

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

If you can read this you can read

Vargatron posted:

Please deactivate BigBootyEater69 at 4:00PM today.

BigBootyEater1-68 were already taken, it’s named for the position and we have a lot of turnover.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

CPColin posted:

Yeah yeah funny :golfclap:

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Volguus posted:

What's @everyone?

Something all the goons in SA IT Slack switched to when a killjoy disabled @here

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
At work, we created a slackbot auto-response that quotes a post explaining when it's appropriate to use @here and @channel.

Just type !here or !channel, then delete your post as soon as slackbot replies whenever someone does an @channel in a channel with 1000 members at 2AM.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Tab8715 posted:

Why?

terrenblade posted:

"please remove me from this list."
"this sounds like a good idea."
"I would like chocolate, thank you."

There's a line somewhere in there. Obviously don't reply all to office-wide communication (why wasn't this BCC'd in the first place?), but for e-mail chains - even the ones that have grown beyond their relevant audience - it's good for documentation purposes. I usually don't mind being CC'd on a chain even if it's only tangentially relevant since there might be something useful in there, and it's definitely my default way to reply to things unless there's a good reason not to.

Sickening posted:

Standard flow...

We used to have a daily thunderdome-esque meeting where you had to defend any proposed changes to a panel of ops people. Processes have matured since then, but there was a certain fun to watching unprepared people sweat under the pressure.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Proteus Jones posted:

Something all the goons in SA IT Slack switched to when a killjoy disabled @here

Hah, a Slack thing. Should have imagined. Thanks.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Fuckin' wow.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Inspector_666 posted:

Fuckin' wow.

Seems to hold up, I'd say. :devil:

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

We use HipChat and we can't disable @all. If you thought @everyone was annoying, how about getting alerts even if you're offline and not currently in the channel? :psyduck:

We always get clueless higher-ups coming into chat channels using it, and every single time we have to explain the difference between @all and @here.

And then there's the people trying to ping a specific team and using @ tags that don't even exist. HipChat tells you if you're using a valid tag or not, so why are you trying to type that?? :shrug:

e: Apparently Hipchat is nearing EOL in a couple months. Might be time to ask about Slack.

DizzyBum fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Dec 13, 2018

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Slack straight up bought the HipChat a while back, so yeah, that ship is sinking rapidly heh.

https://www.theverge.com/2018/7/26/17619482/slack-hipchat-acquisition-stride-atlassian-partnership-microsoft-teams-competition

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Had an interview and boy howdy, close to an hour of being grilled on theory and application of what felt like everything. Most draining experience in my life. I felt I was able to answer probably 65% of the questions accurately, but totally blanked on a few softball linux commands. x.x Oh well, I need to study way more for next time.

Defenestrategy fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Dec 13, 2018

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

Defenestrategy posted:

Had an interview and boy howdy, close to an hour of being grilled on theory and application of what felt like everything. Most draining experience in my life. I felt I was able to answer probably 65% of the questions accurately, but totally blanked on a few softball linux commands. x.x Oh well, I need to study way more for next time.

Honestly, those are the best kind of interviews. If I don't feel like I've been put through the ringer leaving an interview it usually means I don't want to work there and if I don't get the job I usually learned a bunch of holes I have in knowledge or other things.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

So I'm nearly finished with schooling and the job hunt will soon begin. I just have a question about the future of all this: how big of a difference will SDN make for network design, configuration and troubleshooting? I get the basic gist of it, but I'm still foggy on things. Today I took a workshop where I was using Postman to pull service tickets from an APIC-EM simulation on devnet then import the json data into python to... basically do an Cisco ISO "show run", except instead of having to scroll through data I got more precise data. How is this supposed to be the way forward?

This is the first time touching python for me, ever, so maybe it's the frustration talking but the code I had to write (more like copy as I did understand the syntax and structure, most of the stuff I was typing was a mystery) was a hell of a lot more complex than what I had to do on CLI all for slightly more reading convenience.

I thought this stuff was supposed to make designing, configuring and troubleshooting networks a whole lot easier. Like have a GUI and easy-to-use network monitoring tools. Am I wrong?

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Defenestrategy posted:

Those interviews are always the worst. I always feel soaked with sweat afterward

I am Communist
Apr 19, 2002

I can show you what endless looks like
I can show you a single infinite thing
I can let you taste the sweet and sour of forever
Unending. Eternal. Inevitable
Taste my darkness
Climb into my abyss
Fall into me. Into my eyes
Look at them. Depths unfathomable
Pain immeasurable
A cruel promise fulfilled

Jimbot posted:

I thought this stuff was supposed to make designing, configuring and troubleshooting networks a whole lot easier. Like have a GUI and easy-to-use network monitoring tools. Am I wrong?

They do have some better GUIs for quite a few of the other products. And depending on who you go with and what you're doing you can interact with the API and get what you need as well.
I could be wrong but thought Cisco was backing their viptela purchase and so iwan wasn't being pushed as much. Not saying that your class isn't also useful as if you go somewhere they are using APIC-EM.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Virigoth posted:

Honestly, those are the best kind of interviews. If I don't feel like I've been put through the ringer leaving an interview it usually means I don't want to work there and if I don't get the job I usually learned a bunch of holes I have in knowledge or other things.

I despise them. Those interviews are often not focusing on what matters and grilling someone with trivia isn't very insightful.

I also don't want to treat someone that went out of there way to see me to such a poo poo time. A hour or more of grueling questions? Might as well be paying them for their time.

Sickening fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Dec 14, 2018

TheFace
Oct 4, 2004

Fuck anyone that doesn't wanna be this beautiful

Sickening posted:

I despise them. Those interviews are often not focusing on what matters and grilling someone with trivia isn't very insightful.

I also don't want to treat someone that went out of there way to see me to such a poo poo time. A hour or more of grueling questions? Might as well be paying them for their time.

I'm with you on this. I like drilling into concepts that will actually be a part of their job and not just random technical questions about certain commands that honestly if they don't know they can google in a short amount of time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Sickening posted:

I don't think anyone whose been doing IT super long would find them grueling, but I was... impressed... at how many subjects got covered. Linux commandline, Windows troubleshooting, Troubleshooting hardware/software/networks, how does the internet work?, How does [this appliance] work? How do you find [this info] in Linux? Windows? Whats your favorite routing protocol? What speeds do Cat5e reach? on and on and on.

My friend who got me put infront of HR in the first place was surprised, because when he got hired as a mid level developer. They gave him a super easy sorting algorithms question and talked with him for a total of like twenty minutes.