Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Give me an entire spin-off game with Shalquoir

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
For all of Dark Souls 2's sins, having the cat be the most talkative NPC in the whole game besides the Emerald Herald is not one of them.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
^ yeah shalquoir is also ok and does a decent amount of lore dispensing

Straid is basically the only DS2 NPC who is at all interesting lol

well, except maybe for Navlaan. His voice acting is fantastic, although maybe laying it on just a little too thick ooooo i'm so sinister and plain and simply eeeevilllll wooo

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Straid's room was the first and only time I had enemies permanently despawn from killing them enough times. I didn't know about that mechanic though so I figured that he had finally cleared them off on his own

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Sapozhnik posted:

Yeah but he's also so desperate for somebody to talk to that it is literally impossible to be too stupid for him to acknowledge you (he has lines for this but it's impossible to get your INT low enough to actually hear them)

Bandit has the 1 INT required to hear this.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
What weapon is Gael using when you summon him as a phantom?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Node posted:

Executioner's Greatsword, you can get it by hanging a left at the start of the graveyard area in the Cathedral of the Deep.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Node posted:

Can't check right now but presumably the Executioner's Greatsword. His boss soul weapon (and the one he uses in the boss fight) is just an old, damaged and broken version of that weapon.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Sapozhnik posted:

well, except maybe for Navlaan.

Ummmmmm I think you meant Gavlan??
:colbert:

Gavlan wheel.... Gavlan deal

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe

Quantum of Phallus posted:

The Gyrm don't seem very.....well thought out, do they?? They're dwarves, and they hang out with the rat people, and humans are racist to them. And they never show up before or since. What's their relationship to the Flame? Giants sort of work because they're tree people, and trees are an important cosmological element.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

CJacobs posted:

I wish 99% of the Dark Souls 2 NPCs had quests! Why won't Chloanne acknowledge the existence of her father even though she's sitting 10 feet away from him!

She does acknowledge him, she just doesn't think it's him. And he doesn't want her to know he went hollow so he's just satisfied to see that she's safe.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

The Gyrm don't seem very.....well thought out, do they?? They're dwarves, and they hang out with the rat people, and humans are racist to them. And they never show up before or since. What's their relationship to the Flame? Giants sort of work because they're tree people, and trees are an important cosmological element.

They're just dwarves :shrug:. DS2's story has no kind of focus and a big aspect of its world building is "uhhh people have lived here forever, there's a lot of stuff here, check it out I guess?" with a big focus on "humans = bad". I think of them as a reference to KF4's Earth Folk, in particular the regular non-warrior Gyrm look really similar to the blacksmith in that game.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
In a series that has had dragons mutate in all kinds of weird descendants, Gyrm don't seem weird to me.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

quote:

You little rat

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Just convinced a couple of friends to pick up SOTFS during the PS4 EU sale. If I have a very high level character, will they be able to summon me using the Small White Soapstone if we use passwords or does Soul Memory effect that as well?

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
since when does Scholars have a password system?

anything non password is subject to summoning ranges (SL or SM, with SM being the way more forgiving one). The god-name rings extend the range considerably (as does the small soapstone), but you should look up a summon range calculator anyway, both for being the host AND being the summon. If they're rolling a fresh char chances are very very slim.

I think Scholars got rid of the NG/NG+ and up divide at least.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

Just convinced a couple of friends to pick up SOTFS during the PS4 EU sale. If I have a very high level character, will they be able to summon me using the Small White Soapstone if we use passwords or does Soul Memory effect that as well?

Soul memory will kill that until they get to a certain range. There's a calculator on the wiki that shows the ranges. Better off rolling new.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Soul Memory affects it. Name Engraved Ring widens the range of suitable soul memories for matchmaking by a couple tiers, but you still need to be at least somewhat close. In particular with an endgame character who probably has a few million SM, you won't be able to coop with anyone who isn't a good ways into the game.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Cool, I'll just roll a new duder. Any excuse ;)

RoadCrewWorker posted:

since when does Scholars have a password system?

Oh it might not, I never checked.

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

Cool, I'll just roll a new duder. Any excuse ;)

Oh it might not, I never checked.

It doesn't. Just the ring.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

CJacobs posted:

I wish 99% of the Dark Souls 2 NPCs had quests! Why won't Chloanne acknowledge the existence of her father even though she's sitting 10 feet away from him!

Oh I didn't even realize that was his daughter

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

I don't sell ladders, only miniatures

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe
I also like Chloanne because she's basically wearing a cocktail dress as she's selling raw ores and other blacksmithing supplies, and going on expeditions to poisonous quarries.

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
I did up buying ds3 and boy does it feel different. Enemies seem much faster than previous souls games. I normally don't play with a shield but I had to pick one back up just to make every fight not a heart attack. I made it to the undead town and was rolling with some summoned friends and having some jolly good cooperation when a red and purple invaded and the red guy crushed my skull and one hit me. That kinda sucked.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

I've been getting double-teamed a lot too. There's a lot of lag wizardry at play as well, some of these assholes are packet-throttling hardcore. They just teleport around and whittle me down and I can't retaliate.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

CJacobs posted:

She does though. She will mention how that hollow in the smith's shop keeps glaring at her. She finds it weird because he sort of reminds her of her father, but dismisses it because she doesn't think her dad would wander out into Drangleic looking for her. Also because her brain is broken and she only cares about dumb rocks. Her dad not making a bigger deal out of his daughter losing it is the bigger issue, but I guess he's not good with confrontation.

There are really only two DS2 NPCs I hate. The stupid map guy is insanely boring and might as well not be in the game. The real rear end in a top hat though is McDuff because he's a complete jerk but you have to keep going back to him because he's the useful blacksmith.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Also its totall bullshit that they didn't have Navlaan invade in either of the DLCs.

I want his set :mad:

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Oh my god the co-op in DS2 is so fun.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

Oh my god the co-op in DS2 is so fun.

Hell yeah it is. If it had the password system it would be perfect.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Cale loving sucks

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

My favorite DS2 NPC is Laddersmith Gilligan.

Because he's actually Pontiff Sulyvahn's dad.

It's true.

He made it to Ariandel at some point and fell in love with a Birch Woman. Together they had a beautiful baby, but as she was made of wood, his ladder-making passions were frowned upon, and thus he gave it up after one tragic, albeit spectacular, incident. After some years he finally snapped and ran away, and his young son Sulyvahn, still wide-eyed and innocent, went after him. He finally found him as he lay dying in the Profaned Capital, amidst a madness of ladders assembled in blind fervor. This caused Young Sully to experience loss for the first time, and it turned him evil, so he went to Irithyll and took over, and you know the rest of the story.

This is why a gigantic ladder appears when you kill the screaming Birch Woman guarding one of Baby Sully's spells.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Mazed posted:

My favorite DS2 NPC is Laddersmith Gilligan.

Because he's actually Pontiff Sulyvahn's dad.

It's true.

He made it to Ariandel at some point and fell in love with a Birch Woman. Together they had a beautiful baby, but as she was made of wood, his ladder-making passions were frowned upon, and thus he gave it up after one tragic, albeit spectacular, incident. After some years he finally snapped and ran away, and his young son Sulyvahn, still wide-eyed and innocent, went after him. He finally found him as he lay dying in the Profaned Capital, amidst a madness of ladders assembled in blind fervor. This caused Young Sully to experience loss for the first time, and it turned him evil, so he went to Irithyll and took over, and you know the rest of the story.

This is why a gigantic ladder appears when you kill the screaming Birch Woman guarding one of Baby Sully's spells.

It all makes sense now. Now I understand why Sulyvahn drops the ladder miniature when you kill him on NG+7.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

Cannot confirm but everyone should go for it.

Additionally there is cut dialogue of that tree lady screaming about her baby before attacking you.

Also Sulyvahn's "wings" look like tree branches.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i laughed when i saw dead gilligan in ds3.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Mazed posted:

Also Sulyvahn's "wings" look like tree branches.

You seem to be the only other person to notice this. Every other time I've seen someone point out his wings they always leap to the "He's a corvian!" conclusion. Dude's a tree. Clearly, he's an ent. Lordran confirmed for Mordor.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Sulyvahn's wings definitely do look like branches, which you could argue is related to overarching theme of DS3 of people turning into trees.

But with the cut content in Ariandel, it seems he's always been a baby birch boy.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Groovelord Neato posted:

i laughed when i saw dead gilligan in ds3.

Sulyvan hunted down his dead beat dad.

Get me vaati's email

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

So are trees related to chaos or to the abyss?

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Jay Rust posted:

So are trees related to chaos or to the abyss?

Neither. They are representative of the Age of Ancients, where neither dark nor light existed and the world was dominated by dragons and arch trees. The fire is fading, and if it goes out completely the world will revert back to this state.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

There is some very sensual touching going on in the cutscene there. i don't actually think it means anything sexual but it's cool how it contrasts with modern ideas of what bad ass stuff should be like. It even seems authentic to some kind of chivalric masculine touching from a tyme longe gone

Sapozhnik posted:

^ yeah shalquoir is also ok and does a decent amount of lore dispensing

well, except maybe for Navlaan. His voice acting is fantastic, although maybe laying it on just a little too thick ooooo i'm so sinister and plain and simply eeeevilllll wooo

I really like the guy who's just a head. All the stuff he says is just super melancholy and emotionally charged to me.

I like that the cat talks, but it seems like they went out of their way to make her sound vague and pretentious, like, even relative to other souls people. Alot of the rest of them suffer from having all their important poo poo be in the past where you have no input on it. It really made a difference in DS1 that Solaire, Sieg, and Lautrec had meaningful interactions that dovetailed with their personal stories.

I like Navlaan (the guy in the magic cage right?) because the game goes so far out of its way to label the lever as "IF YOU PULL THIS YOU WILL GET hosed UP - NO BENEFIT - NOT KIDDING" But you know if you don't you're always gonna wonder...