Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Famethrowa posted:

Not nearly as cool as I remembered, but that's definitely it! I distinctly remember the combination lock math problems.

Now I really want to know about the worm game, because that poo poo gave me nightmares.
I loved Operation Neptune as a kid, thanks for bringing it up because I couldn't remember the name either.

I think I found the worm game, it's called Think Quick!

http://www.mobygames.com/game/think-quick

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

There's this Famicom game where you play as four characters. I think one is a mouse and only one is a human (boy?). It was surprisingly good and each had different abilities. One character could walk on walls and I remember being really impressed with the controls for the time period.

Geeze what was it called? My google-fu is not helping.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Heran Bago posted:

There's this Famicom game where you play as four characters. I think one is a mouse and only one is a human (boy?). It was surprisingly good and each had different abilities. One character could walk on walls and I remember being really impressed with the controls for the time period.

Geeze what was it called? My google-fu is not helping.
Little Samson. It is a really good game :)

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Pablo Gigante posted:

I loved Operation Neptune as a kid, thanks for bringing it up because I couldn't remember the name either.

I think I found the worm game, it's called Think Quick!

http://www.mobygames.com/game/think-quick

Weirdly, I don't think so. I remember the worms being multicolored. It also was on the same computer as Neptune, so it had better graphics.

Then again I was really young and might be misremembering.

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
I played the poo poo out of a shareware game compilation as a young kid. It ran on our windows 3.1 computer and most of them were dos games, a whole handful were even ascii. It was on CD's though. Not even sure if all of them were shareware or what, in fact i'm pretty sure a lot of them were full games. Then again me at 6 years old sucked rear end at video games and probably never even got far in any of them. This is like 15 years ago I can't remember poo poo.

It had pretty much every single dos game that people talk about, even kids games. Math blaster, reading blaster, raptor call of the shadows and all of the apogee games, corncob 3d, some F117 flight sim that i could never figure out how to take off. Dozens upon dozens of others I have tiny shredded memories of that I can't really describe without being too vague to matter. Scraping the bottom of my memory there was an ASCII game about mowing a lawn and a top down fixed camera racing game with upgradeable vehicles and weapons you could buy

I think it was called Funbox or that might just be my mind filling in blanks, there were 3 CD's but I don't remember ever getting the second or third to work. The disk art was just one color of paint on top of the blank silver disk and had a similar design on all 3, green, purple, and tan. I found a picture of them on google images a long, long time ago, probably when I was 11 or 12 or so, but that's long gone.

Probably lost to the depths of time.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Pablo Gigante posted:

Little Samson. It is a really good game :)

That's it! Thank you so much. :)

No Gravitas
Jun 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Heran Bago posted:

That's it! Thank you so much. :)

Heh. I love that game. I know it only under the title "Lickle". I guess that is the asian name of the game.
I never realised it had an English name.

Two starting points for your a shareware CD quest:
http://cd.textfiles.com/directory.html
https://archive.org/details/cdbbsarchive

No Gravitas fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Jan 14, 2014

al-azad
May 28, 2009

RPG Maker game, 2000 or 2003. A city is under siege and destroyed. You play as a boy who goes back in time to save it. It's an adventure game with a lot of dialog and no actual combat. The highlight was the hand drawn tilesets that looked like SaGa Frontier 2.

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Your favorite furry wrestler.
So I'm watching old Vinesauce videos when I come across this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7jOoFG-NN5E

Ignore the penis hood, but seriously what game is this? This looks like Spore for car nerds. I'm very interested to play whatever the hell it is just to screw around with it.

beef express
Sep 7, 2005

The highest technique is to have no technique.
It is Spore - at a certain civ level you design vehicles.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

The interface is Spore so I'm guessing Spore. I haven't played Spore so I'm guessing this is where you build your spaceship or something and he just made one that looks like a dick car.

The Interloper
Jan 11, 2010

- dig that bunky feat -
Salad Prong

al-azad posted:

RPG Maker game, 2000 or 2003. A city is under siege and destroyed. You play as a boy who goes back in time to save it. It's an adventure game with a lot of dialog and no actual combat. The highlight was the hand drawn tilesets that looked like SaGa Frontier 2.

Sunset over Imdahl.

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Your favorite furry wrestler.

beef express posted:

It is Spore - at a certain civ level you design vehicles.

Awww drat, I was hoping it was some kind of weird racing game or something.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

The Interloper posted:

Sunset over Imdahl.

This actually sounds kind of cool. Is it any good?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

andrew smash posted:

This actually sounds kind of cool. Is it any good?

If memory serves it's decent. There's no actual gameplay but talking to people and maybe a mini-game or two and I'm sure the story isn't anything great but it's about 2 hours long and I wanted to check out the art again. For some reason "rpg maker game hand drawn backgrounds/saga frontier 2 etc." got nothing.

door Door door
Feb 26, 2006

Fugee Face

May have not actually been a full game and more of a tech demo, but I remember playing something about seven years ago that was a vertical shmup where you designed the boss and then got to fight it. I remember specifically that you were able to make different parts of the boss destructible.

Saint Septimus
Dec 9, 2005

door Door door posted:

May have not actually been a full game and more of a tech demo, but I remember playing something about seven years ago that was a vertical shmup where you designed the boss and then got to fight it. I remember specifically that you were able to make different parts of the boss destructible.

There is a shmup called Fraxy with a boss editor, is that what you're thinking of?

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

door Door door posted:

Warning Forever was a Japanese PC shmup where you just did boss fight after boss fight. Each time you beat a boss, it would evolve so that it was stronger to the attack that you had used to beat the previous boss. Not exactly editing the boss, but sort of.

door Door door
Feb 26, 2006

Fugee Face

Saint Septimus posted:

There is a shmup called Fraxy with a boss editor, is that what you're thinking of?

This was it! Thanks.

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
Here's a title I'm looking for purely because of an associated song: a fairly complicated, kinda long chiptune track from the mid-80s. This might be the vaguest memory I've ever chased and it's bugging me. I can only remember nondescript hints that could reasonably be completely made-up. I remember it's well-known enough that it comes up in notable 8-bit track discussions every now and then. I remember it was from a game belonging to a somewhat modest console... I wanna say Commodore 64, but who knows. For some reason, I wanna associate a word like 'chase' or 'run' or 'escape' with the game's title, along with an animal mascot-ish character like a mole or something. The song usually gets remarked on for its complexity and hyper-frantic tempo, and I've got this weird feeling it's by a fairly renowned 8-bit composer of the time. It's the sort of thing that's well-known enough that I'd probably be able to track it down in 5 seconds if I had a single concrete detail, but I can't come up with anything.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
You're probably looking for Ron Hubbard's rather amazing theme for Monty on the Run, for the C64.

Here you go:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XpsN14TFy90

Considering your hazy memory, your description was pretty on the spot.

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~

HenryEx posted:

You're probably looking for Ron Hubbard's rather amazing theme for Monty on the Run, for the C64.

Here you go:

You're a gem, thanks for the new ringtone!

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

Violen posted:

...I remember it was from a game belonging to a somewhat modest console... I wanna say Commodore 64, but who knows.

The C64 was "somewhat modest"!?

Comrade_Canada
Jan 24, 2014

was a PC game, most likely a shooter of some sort, its acronym was PR2

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

Comrade_Canada posted:

was a PC game, most likely a shooter of some sort, its acronym was PR2

i just Googled your entire post and it suggested Project Reality 2. It will amuse me no end if that's the one you're after. :)

Comrade_Canada
Jan 24, 2014

Gromit posted:

i just Googled your entire post and it suggested Project Reality 2. It will amuse me no end if that's the one you're after. :)

thanks, but thats not the one. my computer at that time couldnt even handle the first CryEngine, so i definitely didnt have it installed.

Philosopher King
Oct 25, 2006
This is going to be really vague but I think it was a sega genesis RPG game that someone tried to release a sequel for that would be in a sega cartridge. It may or may not have come out a year ago? I'm not sure but I think they were working on an HD remake.

Nevermind I found it myself.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pier_Solar_and_the_Great_Architects

Hey, it comes out in March. Someone should make a thread about it.

vvv thanks

Philosopher King fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Jan 24, 2014

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
I feel like you're talking about Pier Solar which is a homebrew RPG for the Genesis (Megadrive really) that they actually managed to get printed on real cartridges. I think they're working on current gen versions of the game now, which is good because not a whole lot of people have actually been able to play it since it supposedly doesn't work well with emulators.

e: noooo beaten

torjus
Nov 22, 2005

I want YOU to MSPaint!

HenryEx posted:

Here you go:

Violen posted:

You're a gem, thanks for the new ringtone!

If you want to listen to a new take on this tune, it's featured in Machinae Supremacy's amazing Sidology 3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZoSLqpUCx8
(Also listen to part 1 and 2)

Plum Chaser
Jul 2, 2011

by Lowtax
There's this game, p. sure I seen it somewhere on SA. It was like a browser (demo) of the game, (it might've been in greenlight during the time) 2D action-platformer type game where the terrain was completely destructible and all the player characters were kind of spoofs of classic action heroes (one was Blade, one was Rambo, one was Dredd, etc). It also had local co-op as one of it's main features. Anyone know what I'm talking about?

juliuspringle
Jul 7, 2007

Babyface Mingo posted:

There's this game, p. sure I seen it somewhere on SA. It was like a browser (demo) of the game, (it might've been in greenlight during the time) 2D action-platformer type game where the terrain was completely destructible and all the player characters were kind of spoofs of classic action heroes (one was Blade, one was Rambo, one was Dredd, etc). It also had local co-op as one of it's main features. Anyone know what I'm talking about?

Was it Broforce?

Plum Chaser
Jul 2, 2011

by Lowtax

juliuspringle posted:

Was it Broforce?

It is, thanks! I knew it had bro in the title but could only come up with Gunbros or something.

Fumaofthelake
Dec 30, 2004

Is it handsome in here, or is it just me?

I'm looking for a game that I never actually played so not sure if anyone will be able to help me (but knowing this thread, someone will know).

It's a soccer game for PSP (I am pretty sure). You play as the son of a famous soccer player and you have to recruit people to your team during school. I think this works similarly to how Blitzball works but not 100% sure. I think it is probably Japan only.

I know that's not much to go on but I'm hoping it's weird enough that someone will be able to identify it.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

I've never played any of them, but that sounds like a member of the Imazuna Eleven series.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

Cake Attack posted:

I've never played any of them, but that sounds like a member of the Inazuma Eleven series.

ftfy

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

HenryEx posted:

Here you go:

Hey, it's that song from I Wanna Be The Guy!

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

So, I do remember a old game from my youth, but god drat if I could remember much more than this:

It was an isometric RPG. You start off in a desert fightings against scorpions. It probably was sort of a diablo 2 clone. And that's really it, I am sorry. The game was on CD, if not even on two, iirc.

dregan
Jan 16, 2005

I could transport you all into space if I wanted.

Michaellaneous posted:

So, I do remember a old game from my youth, but god drat if I could remember much more than this:

It was an isometric RPG. You start off in a desert fightings against scorpions. It probably was sort of a diablo 2 clone. And that's really it, I am sorry. The game was on CD, if not even on two, iirc.

...Fallout?

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

dregan posted:

...Fallout?

Yeah, but no. If it would be that popular I would remember it. No, it came out after Fallout, and the isometric style was much...larger? I guess is the way to say it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fumaofthelake
Dec 30, 2004

Is it handsome in here, or is it just me?

Not sure if "isometric" would be the first thing to come to my mind, but the Diablo clone and scorpion thing makes me think maybe it was Titan Quest.

Also thanks to those who answered my nerdy PSP question.