Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
So what's the cheapest way to get an FCR for my DRZ? Wrecked 400E?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Yerok posted:

So what's the cheapest way to get an FCR for my DRZ? Wrecked 400E?

Probably, but the older fcrs had wear parts in them, so sometimes by the time you buy the carb, the parts you need and refurbish it, you could have just bought a new one.

The new ones have no wear items

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Jul 18, 2013

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back
He has a 690; just start with power wheelies. Open the throttle smoothly and quickly until you feel the front end come up in first, second, or third.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.
I've never ridden a 690 but I'm betting if you can't get the front wheel up on that it's just due to fear of giving it throttle. You also probably don't even need to clutch it up, just whack the throttle low in 2nd and it'll lift.

Just keep in mind that you're controlling it and not vice versa. If you want the front to drop just let off the gas or hit the rear brake. Start easy by just gassing it a bit to get the front to come up and then keep going from there. Go little by little instead of going for glory all at once.

It should be really easy on a bike that powerful once you get the hang of it. I've noticed on more powerful dirtbikes you get more lift every time you blip the throttle and they're easier to lift the front wheel on from the start. Both of those attributes make things a lot easier instead of having the tug the gently caress out of the bars or rev it to redline and drop the clutch.

Also, be sure to take video of you trying all this.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Stock DRZ's will power wheelie in 1st and 2nd, so your 690 totally can.

Tenchrono
Jun 2, 2011

:toot:

Now for someone with no mechanical knowledge to install it. me

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

I honestly think clutch ups are easier and safer, and require less room to do anyway. I'm sure it's just a matter of preference though.

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

Tenchrono posted:

:toot:

Now for someone with no mechanical knowledge to install it. me

Honestly the actual carb work is the easiest part. Take pictures of the throttle cables to remember how they went back on and get ready to replace some cheese screws. You're gonna need a power drill, screwdrivers Phillips and flat, and a ratchet set. A stripped screw remover is super helpful as well.

ChewedFood
Jul 22, 2012

Covert Ops Wizard posted:

Clutch up, for sure.

No way, dude. Keep in mind I've got a 530 not a 690 but I would say get in third, really low, and sit way up then just barely open the throttle up and feel it pick up from under you. Leave the clutch alone, that's for sissies with babby bikes.

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

ChewedFood posted:

No way, dude. Keep in mind I've got a 530 not a 690 but I would say get in third, really low, and sit way up then just barely open the throttle up and feel it pick up from under you. Leave the clutch alone, that's for sissies with babby bikes.

Hey! I resemble that comment!*

*poo poo did this joke already get used on this page?

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice
In the What did you do to your ride today? thread it did.

edit: You should feel bad anyway

Tenchrono
Jun 2, 2011

Whoa intentional wheelies the most fun and scary thing at the same time ever, got a few that were a footish high. Now I just need to find stairs to climb up and down on.

Smile
Dec 16, 2005

Clutch up, for sure. Get yourself rolling 10-20 mph in second gear, pull in the clutch, and give it some revs while letting the clutch out fast. I usually rev up twice, once to just get the feel for revving up the engine, but it is a sloppy habit. If you did it with too little revs, it'll just hop a little. That's ok. If you let out the clutch slow or late, you're just scared. Remember you'll probably just give it too little gas anyway and hop the front tire. If the wheel comes up a little, good job. Don't push it too fast. Just start bringing it up a little, whatever feels comfortable, and trying to ride it out. Riding it out might not come the first day, you'll probably be popping the front tire up and down.

Remember, while covering the back brake is a good habit to get into, as a beginner pulling in the clutch will drop the front just as good and not run the risk of locking the rear tire if you panic. You're probably not gonna get close enough to balance point to make it necessary. Also, rolling at 20mph will require more throttle to bring the tire up than 10mph. You can slide your butt back to make it easier, but I usually just sat in a neutral position to learn, I wasn't tryin to 12oclock it after all.

You'll probably find at a certain point in your practice session you start getting shittier, you might not even be able to bring the front off the ground. It just means you're tired and maybe still a little nervous. Take the rest of the day off and try again the next day when you want it again. And you will, bringing up the front is a lot of fun.

Hey, thanks for this! For some reason despite watching and reading plenty of "how to wheelie" things, this was what finally helped it click. It's fun to be able to do wheelies on command now instead of having to apply crazy amounts of throttle to get it up.

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

Smile posted:

Hey, thanks for this! For some reason despite watching and reading plenty of "how to wheelie" things, this was what finally helped it click. It's fun to be able to do wheelies on command now instead of having to apply crazy amounts of throttle to get it up.

Hey that's awesome! Glad I could help.

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

JP Money posted:

I've never ridden a 690 but I'm betting if you can't get the front wheel up on that it's just due to fear of giving it throttle. You also probably don't even need to clutch it up, just whack the throttle low in 2nd and it'll lift.

Smile posted:

Hey, thanks for this!

Quoting both of these things. Thanks for the tips - I attempted both a clutchdump and a power wheelie on the way home from ~~a girl's place~~ this morning, and each one caused equal jaw-clenching abject terror. The suit-and-tie commuter in the silver Mercedes next to me gave an odd look at the next stoplight, but I subdued him with judicious revving. The bike definitely wants to stand up, but I chickened out on really wacking the throttle both times... the serious amount of raw torque felt at that level is going to take some getting used to.

Note to prospective sumo gentlemen hooligents: A few weeks with the 690 has gotten me more positive girl feedback than nine months with the old Sportster. Anecdotal at best, but it's not often you get the fairer sex asking to go out and buy full gear so they can ride along on your "cross country bike". Shoutout to Ewan McGregor, who apparently rides KTMs.

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
So what do you guys use for helmets? Before this summer's over I'm planning on road tripping to some OHV parks in Wisconsin and falling down in some dirt and stuff, so I was gonna just get a dirt bike helmet. My street helmet's fine, but it sucked the couple times I went off of pavement with it for an extended amount of time. Should I just get a Bell dirt helmet and finally have an excuse to buy Ronnie Mac beer goggles?

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

I wear an AFX FX-39 and it works pretty well. You get used to having a visor on. I even used it at the track and it wasn't bad since you don't get above 100 on a supermoto really :(

It has the ability for you to remove the visor and use goggles (or use both at once if you want). It was cheap at like 100 bucks but there are a bunch of other offerings that are similar i.e. the Shoei Hornet which is a lot more expensive.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

The AFX dual sport helmets are drat good deals. Especially compared to the $400 helmets. The sizing was a bit odd for me though. It's fine on the freeway but if you plan on doing some long haul one without a visor would be more comfortable but eh

If you're not gonna see any freeways or high speeds just get a dirtbike helmet + goggles

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

I'd recommend going and trying on an AFX. I should have gone smaller so it was really tight but it's ok enough. My old scorpion was very tight the whole time I owned it so it was weird adjusting. I don't like how large the ear cutouts inside the helmet are either as they let headphones fall out easily. The ratchet buckle is awesome. I love that feature so much as it makes taking it on / off so quick even with gloves on. The visor is also really nice and doesn't distort at all. The paint on mine is flat black so it gets little dings and shows some fingerprints but it was so cheap and looks awesome that I really don't mind at all.

Smile
Dec 16, 2005

Yerok posted:

So what do you guys use for helmets? Before this summer's over I'm planning on road tripping to some OHV parks in Wisconsin and falling down in some dirt and stuff, so I was gonna just get a dirt bike helmet. My street helmet's fine, but it sucked the couple times I went off of pavement with it for an extended amount of time. Should I just get a Bell dirt helmet and finally have an excuse to buy Ronnie Mac beer goggles?

I got this: http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/2/6/6/23476/ITEM/Bell-MX-1-Speed-Tat-Helmet.aspx
because it was cheap and matches my bike (and everyone knows that's super important).

on an equipment side note: does anyone know where I could pick up some shorty levers for my 05 crf450x? Everything on bikebandit and amazon that shows as "fitting" are full length, and I'm not sure if the generic sport bike shorty levers will fit.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Smile posted:

I got this: http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/2/6/6/23476/ITEM/Bell-MX-1-Speed-Tat-Helmet.aspx
because it was cheap and matches my bike (and everyone knows that's super important).

on an equipment side note: does anyone know where I could pick up some shorty levers for my 05 crf450x? Everything on bikebandit and amazon that shows as "fitting" are full length, and I'm not sure if the generic sport bike shorty levers will fit.

Try Zeta.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Yerok posted:

I use the Fly Trekker. It's got a visor for on road, but also space for goggles if you want to not use the visor off-road. It looks pretty much exactly like the AFX FX-39 but without the black accents, and they seem to be similarly priced. I love it. Cheap enough that it doesn't matter if it gets damaged off-road, and it seems of nice enough construction that I am comfortable wearing it on-road. It's also got pretty good ventilation.

BaKESAL3
Nov 7, 2010

This 07 SM610 just popped up in my area for less than 3 grand and seems a bit too good to be true. The place where it's at isn't open till tuesday so I'll have to wait till then to talk someone about it but if anyone has experience with these bikes I could use some advice.

Is there anything I should look out for? This is one killer deal and it seems almost too good to be true. I'll obviously check loose bolts and poo poo when I inspect in in person but are there any less obvious things with these kind of bikes that could indicate more serious problems? What about mods? Is there anything that should be done right away?
The dealer says the bike is stock but who knows if any common mods have been done/hosed up. It apparently has a little over 15,000 miles on it. How long can these engines be expected to last? How intensive is the maintenance?

I'm coming from an 06 KTM 625, is there anyone out there that's owned/ridden both? Any major differences I should be aware of in power delivery/vibes?

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Don't those things have ridiculous maintenance intervals? And really expensive (more-so than KTM) parts?

Guess it depends on whether you're daily driving, track days, or it's just a weekend thing. But I'd always stick to KTM or the DRZ but that's just me. Can't beat a 3k mile oil change.

BaKESAL3
Nov 7, 2010
I'm fine as long as maintenance is limited to valve checks in complexity. Any more than that and I lack the confidence to do it competantly.

As for what it's used for probably 200 miles/weekend with a track day every other month or so. I'm fine with oil changes every 1000 miles or so but I definitely don't want to be doing them every time I want to take the bike out.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

I'm gonna wager that it's too good to be true, honestly. I'd definitely say get a 07 + KTM 690 but I assume money is an issue. You still have your 625? Why not just mod that thing out?

velocross
Sep 16, 2007

Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco
I think the sm610 is the bike with the weird ~10,000mi timing chain interval... I'm sure z3n can clarify that. I'd put timing chain replacement about on par with valve checks, maybe a tiny bit harder.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

BaKESAL3 posted:

This 07 SM610 just popped up in my area for less than 3 grand and seems a bit too good to be true.

Your first clue should be the large pool of blood under it

Smile
Dec 16, 2005
You shouldn't pass up this opportunity to own a genuine demon possesed bike.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

I own one; it's pretty baller. About 55 hp out of the box.

The oil change interval is 5000 Km if you pay attention to the manual, or 35 hours if you pay attention to the instrument cluster (most people reset their instrument cluster for higher intervals -- I just did a ~40 hour oil change, and the oil looked okay: not perfect, but not black).

Valve clearances are 5000 KM. Timing chain is 10,000 KM inspection.

People say that parts are unobtainium, but that's never been my experience. The time when I broke a kickstand and a mirror, the parts were very reasonably priced, and arrived in about a week. The most recent time, when I needed a throttle cable, one dealer said that the ordering system was temporarily down because of the KTM buyout of the brand, so I went with a Motion Pro cable instead.

A few people have reported that their low gas lights stop working (mine included), but it doesn't look too hard to fix the solder joint that breaks on the sender unit that causes that (I haven't actually tried yet). A few incidents of the harmonic balancer coming undone, leading to crankcase catastrophe, have been reported in earlier model years, but I think that's been fixed? If I recall correctly, the engine goes from normal-vibratey to super-vibratey when that happens.

If I recall correctly, the '07 is the last carbureted SM610, and the '08 is the first fuel injected. Do with that information what you will.

Major mods are jets and exhaust. The exhaust in the picture you posted looks stock.

15K miles is high, but probably indicates that the bike has been well cared for. The dealer probably doesn't know what he has, and is selling it for cheap dirtbike/sumo prices.

BaKESAL3
Nov 7, 2010

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Your first clue should be the large pool of blood under it

Smile posted:

You shouldn't pass up this opportunity to own a genuine demon possesed bike.

Challenge accepted.

Safety Dance posted:

Lots of info

Thanks, this is exactly what I needed to know. First thing I'll do when I bring it back to the garage is tear in and inspect the timing chain/valves.

Do you know if there is any cheap weight savings mods akin to the charcoal canisters on the DRZ? Little things I can do when getting it for comfort/rideability? First gear was fairly useless on the KTM and I've heard the same about the 610. How do you feel about the gearing? Is is dialed in out the box for canyons/track or should it be a bit shorter/longer?

Also, how do you feel dealing with your carb? I've only ever owned FI bikes till the 625 and that had a deadspot around 35mph in 2nd where the bike felt like it was bogging down. I was able to move it around a bit and minimize the effects but I'm fairly new to fussing with autos in general so my success was limited.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

BaKESAL3 posted:

Thanks, this is exactly what I needed to know. First thing I'll do when I bring it back to the garage is tear in and inspect the timing chain/valves.

Do you know if there is any cheap weight savings mods akin to the charcoal canisters on the DRZ? Little things I can do when getting it for comfort/rideability? First gear was fairly useless on the KTM and I've heard the same about the 610. How do you feel about the gearing? Is is dialed in out the box for canyons/track or should it be a bit shorter/longer?

Also, how do you feel dealing with your carb? I've only ever owned FI bikes till the 625 and that had a deadspot around 35mph in 2nd where the bike felt like it was bogging down. I was able to move it around a bit and minimize the effects but I'm fairly new to fussing with autos in general so my success was limited.

Weight saving mods -- I know there is a canister, and I know some folks have pulled it off. I don't think it's a weight saving measure so much as a "this could get damaged and leave me stranded if I crash" measure. Bear in mind, the DRZ is actually a pound heavier (wet) than the SM, but the SM has 20hp on the DRZ.

Comfort -- I replaced the stock seat with a Seat Concepts seat. I'm a fatass, but it made a world of difference.

Gearing -- Again, I'm a fatass, so it probably takes a little bit of grunt to get me moving. I think the gearing is a little short; the bike is a great city / mountain road bike, but it feels like it's really straining to cruise around 80-85.

Carb -- I have an '08, so I get FI. Sorry. Some folks like to rejet and put on a new exhaust; I'm trying to keep mine stock for now. I will say that, if the '07 is like the '08, when you're trying to remove the carb, undo the fairing and air filter from the right side, then just go over to the left side and loosen the intake boot and remove the whole airbox + carb assembly. You can't reach any of the clamps from the right side, but they're super easy to get to from the left.

Much like other thumpers, bolts like to work themselves loose. I like to do a quick inspection and wiggle some bolts with my fingers every few weeks / every time I decide to ride a few hundred miles. I started doing this when the bolt that holds the passenger peg to the subframe fell out somewhere between Chattanooga and Atlanta (the guys at the Ducati/BMW/Husky dealership in ATL replaced it in 15 minutes for free), and the bolt that the rear brake pedal rotates around worked its way around 3/4 the way out before I caught it.

Here's a good infodump from advrider: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=156431

I have a copy of the workshop manual, parts diagrams, electrical diagrams, etc., for the '08 -- I didn't think to save it for other years when I found it buried in a forum somewhere. I can share that with you if you decide to buy the bike.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Who says supermotos are impractical? I mean, besides literally everyone, but still.

Mine actually did some work today. Hauled a bunch of laptops about 40 miles on the highway. I am officially the guy who has done the most work ever with a supermoto.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

drat it I wish mine was the blue and yellow color scheme. :negative:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

It can be if you swap the tank and plastics!

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

Some guy was taking lots and lots of pictures of me after I cut through town by bombing next to some railroad tracks and hopping a log strategically placed to keep people from doing that today. I wonder what the chances of me getting a call from the local constabulary are?

axia
Nov 15, 2005

The future is now.

JP Money posted:

drat it I wish mine was the blue and yellow color scheme. :negative:

Everyone wants what they don't have, right?

Speaking of which: wanna trade?? ;-)

Tenchrono
Jun 2, 2011

Man I love my DRZ. I live in a 30mph area and its pretty much wheelies whenever I want.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

Some guy was taking lots and lots of pictures of me after I cut through town by bombing next to some railroad tracks and hopping a log strategically placed to keep people from doing that today. I wonder what the chances of me getting a call from the local constabulary are?

Officer, I assumed the log was a bar-for-entry, like on a fairground ride. "Your bike must be at least awesome enough to clear this log" :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

I found the most amazing riding in DC yesterday, the kind of place I've been dreaming of since I got my DRZ. Then I got kicked out.

Back in 2002 DC built this track for the American Le Mans, but residents of the Kingman Park neighborhood across the street got mad about the noise and had it shut down. (Check out the Wikipedia page for the neighborhood. It's just a litany of things they got mad about and forced the city to close or cancel.) The city closed the track but they didn't do anything with it. Now it's just a big parking lot with a Metro line coming out the middle of it. The track is still there, the bumpy corner things are still there. I wish I could find a better picture of it, it's wild to see.

I'd only ridden about halfway around the track before a mall cop type in a pickup motioned for me to stop and told me I couldn't be there. Just after I'd passed a perfect little ramp for practicing small jumps. It was like sumo heaven. I didn't feel like arguing with him. Now I just have to find a time when he's not around.

• Locked thread