Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Mu Zeta posted:

Ordering paper filters online sounds insane. You can just use a $5 Melitta cone and it will taste exactly the same. They use the same paper filters that every coffee machine uses.

No. A lovely paper filter for a gallon of coffee has all that poo poo taste spread out between many cups.
With a single cup like a CCD, all that flavor is concentrated in a cup.

Melittas taste like loving rear end. No amount of rinsing will fix that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

How does it taste like rear end? It's just a plastic cone. You can find plastic V60s. And the CCD is also plastic. You can use the same paper filters for the CCD and Melitta.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

enojy posted:

Hello coffee goons! I'm upgrading my coffee get-up one piece at a time, and it's time for a new brewer. I've been using an electric percolator for years, but seeing as how it's not even in the OP, I'm thinking I should try something else out. Right now, I'm leaning towards a french press, solely because I'd rather not be buying filters on a regular basis, and don't mind a lil sludge. I gotta admit, I'm really interested in picking up a Chemex, though.

Are all (most) french presses created equal? If I can get away with the $20 Target special, I'd love that.

I'm also open to suggestions for a good online source for roasted Mexico/Chiapas/Guatemala beans, the nuttier the better! I've been ordering from http://www.coffeeam.com for a while now, but the last bag I ordered was roasted super lovely, and I'd like to try someplace else out.

CCD/filtropa filters/capresso infinity (if you don't have a burr grinder and want to keep it cheap)/digital scale and maybe give that goon roaster a shot, has a thread in samart.

Mu Zeta posted:

How does it taste like rear end? It's just a plastic cone. You can find plastic V60s. And the CCD is also plastic. You can use the same paper filters for the CCD and Melitta.

In my experience, there is a definite difference in paper taste between my melitta and filtropa filters :shrug:

Google Butt fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Mar 4, 2014

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Google Butt posted:

CCD/filtropa filters/capresso infinity (if you don't have a burr grinder and want to keep it cheap)/digital scale and maybe give that goon roaster a shot, has a thread in samart.

Thanks for the suggestions! I've got myself a scale and a Hario Skerton, and that goon roaster thread was actually what perked me up about changing things up, so I very well may give them a shot once they stock something South American. The CCD won't work for me, unfortunately, as I drink around 30 oz. at a time, which sounds ridiculous now that I'm thinking about it.

becoming
Aug 25, 2004

enojy posted:

Thanks for the suggestions! I've got myself a scale and a Hario Skerton, and that goon roaster thread was actually what perked me up about changing things up, so I very well may give them a shot once they stock something South American. The CCD won't work for me, unfortunately, as I drink around 30 oz. at a time, which sounds ridiculous now that I'm thinking about it.

You mean it sounds awesome now that you're thinking about it.

Not all french presses are created equal, but you can certainly start out with a less expensive model and see if you are, indeed, into press pot coffee. I know that, for me personally, the first time I pressed coffee was a revelation (in a good way).

The Skerton has a reputation for not being particularly consistent on the more coarse grinds, which is what you'd be after on a french press. You can inexpensively mod it with a spring and some washers from Home Depot, and this apparently helps, though I have not tried this mod with my Hario Mini Mill yet and cannot speak from experience. Extra fines in a french press don't just create sludge, they over-extract and make the cup taste bitter. Maybe that doesn't bother you, but I'm super-sensitive to that taste, so grind consistency is really important to me on the press pot.

You probably want an 8-cup press pot, if you're drinking ~30 ounces at a time. I find that I don't quite get 30 out of mine, more like 27-28. I have a Bodum Chambord 8-cup and it's nice enough without being too expensive. The Brazil line is alright too, but make sure you get the updated model with the all-metal plunger. The older one has a plastic nut that connects the plunge rod to the filter assembly and that is prone to breakage. Starbucks sells the newer Brazil 8-cup for $20, and if you know someone that works there, their price is $14.

Chemex is pretty awesome. Yes, you have to buy relatively expensive paper filters, and you probably want a pouring kettle, but it does make a really clean cup of coffee. I'd recommend the 10-cup (50oz) model with the glass handle.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Mu Zeta posted:

It's not the plastic that you're tasting, it's the paper from the filter. And I'm also in the buy good filters camp. I can definitely taste a difference between Metlitta and a better quality filter.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I've never used Melitta filters. You can use any paper filter you want on the Melitta cone. It's just one example of a cheap and readily available brewer that will do the same job as the Kalita cone and you can use any paper filter you want without spending $40 for filters online.

I use these Bonmacs. They are cheap and readily available at a local shop. It fits the CCD, Melitta, Beehouse, and 99% of coffee machines.

Mu Zeta fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Mar 4, 2014

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

Have you actually ever tried filtropas?

Crystal Lake Witch
Apr 25, 2010

So I just started a new barista job, and I've noticed that the baskets tend to pop out of the portafilters if you knock the espresso out at the wrong angle. Anyone have any experience with preventative measures for this kind of thing? Or is it just a reality of using portafilters.

I came from Starbucks, so I've never had to use the things before.

Maid
Mar 3, 2006

Do you know the Wu-Tang secret of mopping?

ChiaPetOutletStore posted:

So I just started a new barista job, and I've noticed that the baskets tend to pop out of the portafilters if you knock the espresso out at the wrong angle. Anyone have any experience with preventative measures for this kind of thing? Or is it just a reality of using portafilters.

I came from Starbucks, so I've never had to use the things before.

If you knock on the edge of the basket itself you shouldn't have too many problems. It still happens every once in a long while but you have a pretty big target to hit. Did the spring fall out of your portafilter perchance?

Crystal Lake Witch
Apr 25, 2010

Maid posted:

If you knock on the edge of the basket itself you shouldn't have too many problems. It still happens every once in a long while but you have a pretty big target to hit. Did the spring fall out of your portafilter perchance?

I think the springs are all still there, but I'd need to double check. Are the springs something that wear out over time?

Maid
Mar 3, 2006

Do you know the Wu-Tang secret of mopping?

ChiaPetOutletStore posted:

I think the springs are all still there, but I'd need to double check. Are the springs something that wear out over time?

Nah, but sometimes they get bent out of shape or lost. The most common problem I've seen so far is one end of the spring popping out of its groove and poking out the bottom of the portafilter. It's easy to fix if anything goes wrong; it's just a piece of wire.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

becoming posted:

Chemex is pretty awesome. Yes, you have to buy relatively expensive paper filters, and you probably want a pouring kettle, but it does make a really clean cup of coffee. I'd recommend the 10-cup (50oz) model with the glass handle.

Well, there goes $100, more than half of which spent on that stupid dang Japanese kettle. Oh well, I needed a kettle! Might as well get one renown for pour overs. I also had no earthly idea that non-electric kettles could go over the $200 mark. What the hell.

I think I'll be OK with the cost of the Chemex filters; $8 for 100 cups of coffee doesn't seem too bad. Thankfully, there's a Barnie's a mile from my apartment which sells them.

mr. yolk
Aug 4, 2007

"We are a way for the cosmos to know itself."
I got my refurb Virtuoso. And I think it's broken. It makes the sound like it's on, I can hear the motor TRYING to work, but it won't turn. I've taken the shell off and looked at everything on Baratza's website. Any experience? :(

Andre Le Fuckface
Oct 4, 2008

:pwm:

mr. yolk posted:

I got my refurb Virtuoso. And I think it's broken. It makes the sound like it's on, I can hear the motor TRYING to work, but it won't turn. I've taken the shell off and looked at everything on Baratza's website. Any experience? :(

Contact Baratza? I've heard they're good with getting back to people

mr. yolk
Aug 4, 2007

Yeah, I sent them an email. I was just wondering if I'm an idiot or if anyone has had a similar situation and fixed it.

becoming
Aug 25, 2004

enojy posted:

Well, there goes $100, more than half of which spent on that stupid dang Japanese kettle. Oh well, I needed a kettle! Might as well get one renown for pour overs. I also had no earthly idea that non-electric kettles could go over the $200 mark. What the hell.

I think I'll be OK with the cost of the Chemex filters; $8 for 100 cups of coffee doesn't seem too bad. Thankfully, there's a Barnie's a mile from my apartment which sells them.

That Chemex will theoretically hold 50 ounces of coffee but it's hard to make that much in it, in my opinion. My favorite recipe is 50g beans and 850ml water, which nets me a 16oz travel thermos for when I get to work and about 11oz for a cup on the way to work. I've done larger batches, but the filter drains pretty slowly, so it's difficult to go much bigger without risking over-extraction (which, I've said 100 times, I'm verrrry sensitive to - maybe it isn't as big a deal to you). On the plus side, it's great for travel mugs, because no fines get through the filter. I've had press pot coffee be absolutely loving fantastic when I poured it, but after an hour commute to work, it tastes like poo poo because the fines over-extracted. That's why Chemex is my go-to when I'm going to be drinking the coffee much later. My 1.5L press pot is great for the times when three of us are drinking big mugs of coffee at that very instant.

Presumably you got the Hario Buono kettle. That is a good kettle (I don't have one - I have a Takahiro, a Kalita Wave, and a Bonavita, but I have read good things about the Buono). One cool thing about it is that it opens up the world of pour-over for you. Now you can grab a V60 ($8) and a pack of filters for it and make great single-cup brews.

crm
Oct 24, 2004

What's the recommended programmable / timer auto-drip machine nowadays?

I saw the link to the Bonavita in the OP, but it's not programmable. The wife needs her coffee waiting for her when she wakes up :\

Hollis Brown
Oct 17, 2004

It's like people only do things because they get paid, and that's just really sad

crm posted:

What's the recommended programmable / timer auto-drip machine nowadays?

I saw the link to the Bonavita in the OP, but it's not programmable. The wife needs her coffee waiting for her when she wakes up :\

Do you grind fresh roasted beans? If so, this would require a brewer that would grind the beans prior to your programmed brew time.

The root of the third wave coffee movement (and much of this thread discussion) is high-quality coffee beans from different regions of the world, which are then roasted and are prime for approximately two weeks. Unfortunately factors such as oxygen interaction with the aromatics means pre-ground coffee is best for only 15 minutes. It is probably evident now why programmable machines that use pre-ground coffee the night before sabotages the chances to get high quality coffee.

Thus if you are into getting fresh roasted beans or want to roast your own one of ussss it could be worth it to get an expensive programmable grind and brew machine. This is about 250 bucks. holy poo poo.

http://www.coffeegeek.com/reviews/drip/brevillebdc600xl

Unlike most of the "Heh, Keurig :smug:" posting around here, if you guys are happy with pre-ground coffee but just looking for a programmable caffeine delivery appliance just get something in your price range. If you are looking for a new hobby and venturing down the rabbit hole, you will certainly be enabled here.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

becoming posted:

That Chemex will theoretically hold 50 ounces of coffee but it's hard to make that much in it, in my opinion. My favorite recipe is 50g beans and 850ml water, which nets me a 16oz travel thermos for when I get to work and about 11oz for a cup on the way to work. I've done larger batches, but the filter drains pretty slowly, so it's difficult to go much bigger without risking over-extraction (which, I've said 100 times, I'm verrrry sensitive to - maybe it isn't as big a deal to you).

I've honestly got no idea how I feel about over-extraction yet -- probably wouldn't even recognize it! My coffee routine, for years, has been an electric percolator, blade grinder, and roasted-to-order beans 5 lbs at a time. Of course, I'm now seeing the errors in all three of those things, but I know I could be doing much worse. I had no complaints with this setup until my last percolator broke, and the one I bought to replace it just doesn't compare.

All I'm missing now is a scale and some fresh-roasted beans, and I'm about to go pick those up today. I've tried using a coffee scoop for beans and a measuring cup for water in the Chemex over the past few days, and I'm obviously not getting any consistent results that way.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
A scale is your friend. I would not do any form of pourover without one for both the beans and the water.

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.

enojy posted:

I've honestly got no idea how I feel about over-extraction yet -- probably wouldn't even recognize it!
If you're using a percolator you're all about over extraction :)

becoming
Aug 25, 2004

enojy posted:

I've honestly got no idea how I feel about over-extraction yet -- probably wouldn't even recognize it! My coffee routine, for years, has been an electric percolator, blade grinder, and roasted-to-order beans 5 lbs at a time. Of course, I'm now seeing the errors in all three of those things, but I know I could be doing much worse. I had no complaints with this setup until my last percolator broke, and the one I bought to replace it just doesn't compare.

All I'm missing now is a scale and some fresh-roasted beans, and I'm about to go pick those up today. I've tried using a coffee scoop for beans and a measuring cup for water in the Chemex over the past few days, and I'm obviously not getting any consistent results that way.

You are definitely on the right track. I also recommend a log book to write your recipes and notes in. "30g beans, ground at 18; water was 208 in kettle; 64g bloom for 45 seconds; poured to 500g and finished at 3:14; taste was slightly over-extracted, but certainly drinkable." That way, when you really nail it, you've got all your parameters written down. Grind size is going to be the biggest issue with a Skerton, so be careful about setting it. If you're switching between press and Chemex, you are probably using two different grind sizes, and you'll want to make sure you get the right one each time.

Alleric
Dec 10, 2002

Rambly Bastard...

porktree posted:

If you're using a percolator you're all about over extraction :)

Special place in my heart for perc coffee. I grew up on that stuff. Camp fire breakfast just isn't the same without it. :)

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.

Alleric posted:

Special place in my heart for perc coffee. I grew up on that stuff. Camp fire breakfast just isn't the same without it. :)
Nothing smells better when it's being made, and nothing tastes worse in the cup - My Grandpa had a huge percolator going all day at his house when I was growing up - I feel your nostalgia.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I remember opening up a can of Folger's when I was a kid and smelling it and thinking, "this is what coffee is about!"

And then I drank some of my mom's and never touched it again until I was in my 20s.

mr. yolk
Aug 4, 2007

My mom used to drink a cup of Folger's every morning when I was a kid. It's a smell I will forever associate with her and getting ready for school. I never liked the flavor. At least she's onto Keurig now...

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Got my kettle, didn't know it had a timer function, I like it.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Alleric posted:

You speak the truth. It's been the only method of brewing at my family's cabin in it's 30 years of existence and despite its flaws, I will not allow it to be replaced.

ReptilePicasso
Jul 22, 2010

Google Butt posted:

Got my kettle, didn't know it had a timer function, I like it.

best part about it. or i love it because i can wake up and go make coffee without having to use my phone and worry about the water spilling on it. Also, no phone around means no distraction and i can focus on my sweet, sweet coffee

mr. yolk
Aug 4, 2007

1. gently caress the Poemia. Getting the temperature correct in that thing is terribly inconsistent. Every single time, the first shots I pulled were disgustingly sour, and the ones I pulled after were actually tolerable, despite being much less concentrated. What do I need to do to get the water up to ~200F for the first pull? I tried running 4-6oz of water through an empty portafilter first, but by the time I get the coffee in the portafilter and ready to brew, it drops temperature. I don't have a thermometer to measure the water coming out, but it's not like it would matter if it drops that much.
2. The Kalita Wave is nice, gonna take some getting used to for perfecting my technique. I think I just barely underextracted this morning, probably used a little too much coffee. I should probably get a scale.
3. Baratza is taking their sweet time getting back to me about the VIrtuoso. Getting 1 reply a day saying they'll ship me a replacement with a return label... it could have had 2 days in transit already if they weren't dragging their feet. Pretty unimpressed with their product and customer service, to be honest.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

If you shop at Whole Foods in Northern CA watch for this stuff from Blue Bottle.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Wow so they finally did it. I thought it was going to be bottled though. They've been talking about it for over a year.

I really don't like it because it's way too sweet. If you order it at their cafes it's pre-made and you can't ask for less sugar.

mr. yolk
Aug 4, 2007

I'm making better stuff with the Kalita Wave. Still need to get a scale and some fresh coffee, but I've figured out on average how much coffee to put in my Hario and I've been measuring out 9oz of water for my kettle. Been doing about 3 minute brew times. Baratza shipped me a replacement that they assure me has been tested... just gotta wait til next year for UPS Ground to get here. Craft Coffee should be shipping out this month's supply any day now as well.

Speaking of which... I have 2x 4oz bags of coffee roasted around Jan 8-12th that I haven't even opened yet. I know they're not going to be good, but are they worth brewing if I run out of fresher stuff (from Feb 6-9th), or should I just toss them? I really don't want to, but the older the beans get, the worse they're gonna taste......

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I tried Nespresso today at a friend's for the first time. I always thought the people here saying they'd never drink Nespresso were just being ridiculous and snobby cause hell I drink cheap light beer when it's offered to me, but holy poo poo I had to basically force it down.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

mr. yolk posted:

Speaking of which... I have 2x 4oz bags of coffee roasted around Jan 8-12th that I haven't even opened yet. I know they're not going to be good, but are they worth brewing if I run out of fresher stuff (from Feb 6-9th), or should I just toss them? I really don't want to, but the older the beans get, the worse they're gonna taste......

Two months old? Not ideal, but I'd still use them for something unless you are made of money. Cold brew is an ideal place.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Two-month-old beans that you just ground today are probably still better than a lot of pre-ground coffee.

mr. yolk
Aug 4, 2007

Oh, I totally forgot about cold brewing! I just grind em up, put 2x the weight of beans of water in a jug, and let it sit for like 48 hours? Then filter and voila?

becoming
Aug 25, 2004

mr. yolk posted:

Oh, I totally forgot about cold brewing! I just grind em up, put 2x the weight of beans of water in a jug, and let it sit for like 48 hours? Then filter and voila?

Depends on how you want to drink it. For a cold drink that I'm going to dilute 1:1 with milk, I like to use a french press grind and a 1:8 ratio - so I might use 100g beans with 800g water. I put it in a jar, put the jar in a cool dark place (top of my pantry), and let it sit for 12-14 hours. Filter it, put it in another jar, and then mix 1:1 with milk, cold water, or a combination thereof. So maybe 200g concentrate, 100g water, 100g milk.

If I want to drink it hot - by adding hot water - I go for a ratio of 1:4. Follow the same procedure as above, but when it comes time to dilute, I'm now going one part concentrate to three parts hot water. 100g concentrate, 300g of very hot water.

Those are obviously two very different drinks. The nice thing about the cold brew 1:4 is that I can dispense hot water from my Zojirushi hot pot and have a cup of hot coffee in all of about thirty seconds in the morning, or I can mix it 1:1 with cold water, then mix that concoction 1:1 with milk and have a pretty great iced coffee drink.

48 hours is probably much too long, but I encourage you to try it and report back!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timid
Dec 13, 2012

^^ Hey Becoming have you ever been to Bean Hollow in Historic Ellicott City? I meant to post in the thread earlier about it, and your post just reminded me to do it now.

I went and got their 'Mexican' coffee, and a friend of mine got an iced mocha. Both actually tasted pretty great. Although the coffee was a tiny bit on the bitter side, but it was fine. Unfortunately they don't brew to order, so all their coffee selections are from vacuum pots.

I also went in and got a pound of medium roasted Guatemalan for $14. Their 'medium' is on the darker side and a bit oily, which I'm not too big of a fan of. But I'll use it anyways and get a light roast from them next time, or try a bag from Mad City which I was planning on anyways. They also don't sell unroasted coffee.

I woulda PM'd you but I don't have platinum yet.

Overall for the thread: If you're in Maryland around the Ellicott City/Columbia area, I definitely recommend trying out Bean Hollow.