Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

You can also put down a Benjamin for unlimited misspelled supermarket beer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
I hope you get to keep the loving bucket

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I'm no bartender so correct me if I'm wrong but isn't it a bad idea to challenge someone to get their money's worth in an all you can drink offer of cheap beer? Like you're daring them to get sloppy drunk?

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

At 100/person you are making an immense amount of money either way, even if this is a hotel in DC where a bottle of Coors is probably like $7

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

goferchan posted:

At 100/person you are making an immense amount of money either way, even if this is a hotel in DC where a bottle of Coors is probably like $7

Imagining trying to drink 15 budweisers to get your money's worth, lol

Totally Reasonable
Jan 8, 2008

aaag mirrors

Steve Yun posted:

Imagining trying to drink 15 budweisers to get your money's worth, lol

Maybe the benjamin features a $100 pay toilet.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Trump doesn't drink, but he became a master mixologist thanks to those videos with Monsieur Cokedrip.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
[b]BUNNIES ARE CUTE BUT DEADLY/b]
Man those videos should be in the OP as a how not to

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008
There are typos on both of those menus. Shameful.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

bloody ghost titty posted:

There are typos on both of those menus. Shameful.

...Or are there? Nothing maximizes profits like Santory brand whiskey!

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

goferchan posted:

We just put a Lion's Tail on the menu at work and I'm really digging it; extremely simple but tasty fall flavors. We're basically doing a daiquiri build with 1.5oz bourbon, .75 lime, .5 simple, .25 allspice dram, and a couple dashes of angostura. Apparently it's a classic but it's one I had never previously heard of

I just got around to making this and holy poo poo it's delicious. I might have a new favorite drink.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Molten Llama posted:

...Or are there? Nothing maximizes profits like Santory brand whiskey!

For a reluxing tame, always mike it Santory tome.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

Halloween Jack posted:

For a reluxing tame, always mike it Santory tome.

You have made my day, thank you.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
I have campari but no red vermouth. What should I do?

slut chan
Nov 30, 2006
Do you have Bianco vermouth? Also makes a nice negroni.

Jungle Bird?

Girabaldi?
1 1/2 ounces Campari
3 1/2 ounces fresh orange juice
prosecco, to top

With Soda?

Put it in beer for a Camparty?

Mix 50:50 with Fernet and drink it on the rocks, Ferrari.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Old Pal, Jungle Bird, Apparent Sour if you have the fresh rosemary, or a jigger of Campari in your beer.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

shots of campari or campari and soda are real good drinking to me .

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
Can someone give me some good suggestions of cocktail bars in SF?

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Are there any things to watch out for when making a large batch of French 75s? I have to get through election night somehow.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
I would imagine add rhe champaign right before serving to avoid it going flat but I have never made french 75s

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Are there any things to watch out for when making a large batch of French 75s?

The floor.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
In regards to the suggstions about what to do with campari when out of red vermouth, last night I found that the Old Pal is indeed an acceptable substitute for a boulvardier.

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

nerdz posted:

Can someone give me some good suggestions of cocktail bars in SF?

I was passing through a couple weeks ago and only had one night to go out so I decided to check out Smugglers Cove. It's purely a tiki bar but was voted best cocktail bar in the country at Tales of the Cocktail this year. It was a Wednesday night and still packed, so I imagine there would be a line outside on weekends, but it's worth it. Drinks were fantastic, atmosphere fully immersive and the bartender was super down to earth and fun to chat with. It completely rekindled my tropical interest and I spent like $200 on tiki poo poo when I got home.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

:golfclap:

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Are there any things to watch out for when making a large batch of French 75s? I have to get through election night somehow.

The next morning.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

I'm interviewing at Jack Rose, which has the largest whiskey collection in the western hemisphere, this week and is regarded as one of the best liquor/cocktail bars in the city, and got my first private bartending gig lined up next week, and will still be at Columbia Room during the whole thing . Life is good in the cocktail bar world amigos :toot:

Two Worlds
Feb 3, 2009
An IMPOSTORE!

Fart Car '97 posted:

I'm interviewing at Jack Rose, which has the largest whiskey collection in the western hemisphere, this week and is regarded as one of the best liquor/cocktail bars in the city, and got my first private bartending gig lined up next week, and will still be at Columbia Room during the whole thing . Life is good in the cocktail bar world amigos :toot:

I still don't believe you about this 1:1 martini.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

I can neither sleep nor decide on a punch for Thanksgiving. Please advise on the latter while I drain this hot buttered rum to address the former. TIA.

The Hebug
May 24, 2004
I am a bug...

Butch Cassidy posted:

I can neither sleep nor decide on a punch for Thanksgiving. Please advise on the latter while I drain this hot buttered rum to address the former. TIA.

I really like Jeffrey Morgenthaler's Flannel Shirt as a punch.

http://punchdrink.com/recipes/flannel-shirt/

1 3/4 ounces Scotch
1 1/2 ounces apple cider
1/2 ounce Averna
1/4 ounce lemon juice
1 teaspoon demerara syrup (2:1, demerara sugar:water)
1/2 teaspoon St. Elizabeth Allspice Dram
2 dashes Angostura bitters
Garnish: orange peel

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!

Two Worlds posted:

I too had an unkind heart full of doubt. Then I did as instructed and combined 2oz each Plymouth gin and Dolin Dry with a dash of orange bitters, stirred dilligently and imbibed. It is a revelation. Gone are the days of "martini" meaning three ounces of cold vodka or gin. It's an actual, real Cocktail. It's amazing.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

I got the gig, feels good man

Two Worlds posted:

Have u considered drinking one

Thoht
Aug 3, 2006

gently caress yeah, good for you dude.

Two Worlds
Feb 3, 2009
An IMPOSTORE!

Fart Car '97 posted:

I've considered it.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs
Had a paper plane yesterday. God that's good. Sort of want aperol and amaro now :(

Also what can one do with spiced rhum other than rhum and coke? I have a few bottles I'd like to put to good use

KingColliwog fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Nov 6, 2016

30 Goddamned Dicks
Sep 8, 2010

I will leave you to flounder in your cesspool of primeval soup, you sad, lonely, little cowards.
Fun Shoe

Fart Car '97 posted:

Congrats and also what are you gonna set your bribe prices at because gatDAMN son congrats!!!!!

Also come hang out in the D.C. Goon slack channel with us!!!

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
I just tried a 1:1 martini with orange bitters, and I think I'm a fan. I misremembered the suggestion and got Dolin Blanc instead of Dolin Dry, but I like a little sweetness in a cocktail anyway, and apparently pre-prohibition martinis included simple syrup, so I feel completely justified.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

Toast Museum posted:

apparently pre-prohibition martinis included simple syrup, so I feel completely justified.

What. I'm not doubting you but this is genuinely the first time I've heard this. It seems like a pre-prohibition thing, but I never even considered simple syrup because I'd think it would totally wreck the balance. I know a Martinez has sweet vermouth though?

So many Martinis to try, so little booze available.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

syntaxfunction posted:

What. I'm not doubting you but this is genuinely the first time I've heard this. It seems like a pre-prohibition thing, but I never even considered simple syrup because I'd think it would totally wreck the balance. I know a Martinez has sweet vermouth though?

So many Martinis to try, so little booze available.

It was news to me too.

David Wondrich posted:

Originally—before Prohibition, anyway (the drink probably dates to the 1870s, but nobody's really sure; it's a debate we're happy to stay out of)—it went something like this: two parts, or even one part, gin to one part red vermouth (the sweet kind), with an extra dash of sugar syrup and maybe some orange bitters. Garnish: twist of lemon peel. The dry martini—dry, white vermouth and no syrup—was a critter of the Gilded Age, coming in around 1900.
http://www.esquire.com/food-drink/drinks/recipes/a3667/martini-drink-recipe/

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

KingColliwog posted:

Also what can one do with spiced rhum other than rhum and coke? I have a few bottles I'd like to put to good use

Hot buttered rum, goes well with cider, fortify mulled wine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

KingColliwog posted:

Had a paper plane yesterday. God that's good. Sort of want aperol and amaro now :(

one of my coworkers made a brown butter washed rum at home and brought some in for me to taste and it was incredibly good , i'll ask him about the recipe when i see him tomorrow. really wanna figure out some kind of coffee brunch cocktail with it